Headrest LCDs and Navi conversion finally done!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headrest LCDs and Navi conversion finally done!

Hey guys,

So, it's taken me a LONG LONG time to do this (being my first time and all), but my project is finally done.

I'm not going to go into details now since my homepage is going to have all the fun details when I'm done. But I will include one pic just to prove to y'all that I'm done.

There it is.

Each screen is independent thanks to a 4-input/4-output AV switcher/multiplexer. The sound is great. Everything comes from a PS2 in the glove compartment.

I've even got pics of cutting open my headrests and fitting in the screens. I did ALL the work myself, so I've gotten quite a bit of experience, I welcome your questions.

Check my webpage for updates. I will try to get on it this week.

Rob
Old 02-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats. Looks AWESOME. Can't wait to see the details.

How much did it cost for the DIY?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, originally, it wasn't going to be THAT expensive, but it turned out to be a bit more because of the screens.

At first I bought a "China special" from one-of-those-LCD-stores. They were TOTAL GARBAGE. And if anyone is interested in doing this and wants a quality picture and not just a picture, do not get crap, you really get what you pay for.

All figures are in US dollars even though I'm in Canada.

I first bought Innovatek IN-700A screens. They were total garbage. I paid $250 for the pair. I returned them the next day. I replaced them with TME-M580s from Alpine. Here's the breakdown of everything:

Sokolov box + AV switcher: $355.00
PS2 slim: $140.00
Inverter to power PS2: $25.00
Blitzsafe adapter for audio: $80.00
2 x TME-M580 Alpine screens: $345 each = $690.00
Assorted wires and connectors: $100.00

Total: $1390.00

What's not included in there is the 60+ hours I spent on doing everything. I did everything from A to Z so there was zero labour cost.

Not too bad considering a big chunk of that (> 40%) was the screens.

Rob
Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Suzuka Master

It would be cool to have multi source monitors, so the person(in either back seat) could choose between the navi and what ever is on the PS2
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Each of the monitors in the car can have an independent feed. Right now I only have two feeds. One from the PS2 and another from an AV AUX port I built into the center armrest. I was thinking of maybe eventually putting a DVD player in the rear armrest to give yet another source or maybe a TV tuner. It would also be neat to somehow convert the Navi to composite video and make that a source too. I don't know if it can be done though.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Love my TL

Originally Posted by zax123
Well, originally, it wasn't going to be THAT expensive, but it turned out to be a bit more because of the screens.

At first I bought a "China special" from one-of-those-LCD-stores. They were TOTAL GARBAGE. And if anyone is interested in doing this and wants a quality picture and not just a picture, do not get crap, you really get what you pay for.

All figures are in US dollars even though I'm in Canada.

I first bought Innovatek IN-700A screens. They were total garbage. I paid $250 for the pair. I returned them the next day. I replaced them with TME-M580s from Alpine. Here's the breakdown of everything:

Sokolov box + AV switcher: $355.00
PS2 slim: $140.00
Inverter to power PS2: $25.00
Blitzsafe adapter for audio: $80.00
2 x TME-M580 Alpine screens: $345 each = $690.00
Assorted wires and connectors: $100.00

Total: $1390.00

What's not included in there is the 60+ hours I spent on doing everything. I did everything from A to Z so there was zero labour cost.

Not too bad considering a big chunk of that (> 40%) was the screens.

Rob
Your setup looks great!

I thought the Blitzsafe for the TL was in production and not yet released. What model # did you get? Did you lose XM after installing the adapter?
Also, you mentioned Sokolov box + AV switcher. I'm confused about this bc AVelectronics (4 in, 4 out) sells a nav converter and so does Sokolov (1 output). Did you get both?

I purchased the AV unit + DVD player months ago but I was waiting for the Blitzsafe to do the install.
thanks!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Great job on the install but I got some great news that will irritate some of you Sokolov's naviplus converter is now 100%plug and play original Acura plugs. I'm in the same boat as some of you that have already done the conversion. He started a group buy on the black market section. He tested it in my car I was amazed you remove the plug from the navi dvd-rom and plug it in the harness and then plug Sokolov’s in to the navi dvd-rom.
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/100%25-plug-play-navi-dvd-oem-style-plugs-287460/
Old 02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

dam nice install.. hurry and get your site up cant wait to read up on your project and see some more pics... o yea is it me or are your monitors kind of slanted... lol nice install though...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by rs808
Your setup looks great!

I thought the Blitzsafe for the TL was in production and not yet released. What model # did you get? Did you lose XM after installing the adapter?
Also, you mentioned Sokolov box + AV switcher. I'm confused about this bc AVelectronics (4 in, 4 out) sells a nav converter and so does Sokolov (1 output). Did you get both?

I purchased the AV unit + DVD player months ago but I was waiting for the Blitzsafe to do the install.
thanks!
he's in canada so he doesnt have xm :P but luckily for him that gives him a free AUX port.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Team Anthracite Member

zeezz,

Your 100% right. I don't have XM, so there is a free port. The Blitzsafe adapter isn't perfect though. You have to wire a switch to the yellow wire and switch it off when selecting the CD-C source, and then switch it on to listen. It's not a big deal (since I have a switch for the Navi/DVD anyways), but it makes the install a little bit more complicated.

I10O0I1, the screens aren't tilted. The camera was. hehehe.

I'll try and get my site updated as soon as possible. I might just post pics for now, and then explanations later... Just been so busy with the car. It's a LOT of work!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Team Anthracite Member

rs808,

I got the Blitzsafe adapter from autotoys.com. A place I will never buy from again. They are arrogant and they give terrible service.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...?productid=200

The problem is the firmware in the adapter isn't properly updated for the 2004/05 TL. That's why there are problems. I don't think anyone has a proper adapter for our car yet.

As for your sokolov question... I bought the Sokolov adapter just to do the Navi conversion and then I bought the AV switcher to give me 4 input sources and 4 output sources. I use the sokolov box as one of the output souces (in my case output 1). So whatever I send to output 1 gets put on my Navi screen. My screens in the back are outputs 2 and 3. I only have two inputs now (the PS2 and an AUX AV in my armrest), but I might add more later... back up camera, TV tuner, etc...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

hmm question... why did you go with the sokolov instead of the avelectronic.. besides price why didnt you go with the avelectronic...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I was told from various sources that the sokolov was better quality and so that's what I wanted... good quality. I didn't do this just for show. Same story with the screens. I could have kept the crappy Chinese jobs, but instead I went with quality from Alpine.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Damn Zax now I will have to install lcd monitors to!!! Lol. It looks great. And thank you so much for your help with my install. I just posted pics and video up if you want to see it. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Racer

Instead of starting another thread on this, I figured Id ask on this one.

Wat exactly do I need....this is what I have already

7 screens
PS2
Dom's Nav2Go

So wat else do I need, Blitzsafe adapter? Sokolov box + AV switcher??

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
since you have doms nav2go, you don't need the sokolove box
Old 08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
since you have doms nav2go, you don't need the sokolove box
is the sokolove box the same as the AV switcher?

and wat bout the blitzsafe adaptor?

Sorry for the noob questions but I have no clue when it comes down to this stuff
Old 08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungnTLDrivr
Instead of starting another thread on this, I figured Id ask on this one.

Wat exactly do I need....this is what I have already

7 screens
PS2
Dom's Nav2Go

So wat else do I need, Blitzsafe adapter? Sokolov box + AV switcher??

Thanks for any help!
The TVandnav2go box will provide one video input, and the Blitzsafe will provide the Audio input.

The ONLY unit I've ever seen that allows you to have INDEPENDENT control of multpile screens with multiple sources is the big boy from avelectronics.com
The multiplex unit works just like the Nav2go, but will accept 4 audio/video inputs and can output to 4 audio/video sources simultaneously.

I have this unit, and it works great. The $550 unit has a built in TV Tuner. I can watch TV on the Nav screen, DVD on the left seat, and Ipod Video on the right. Remember though, outputting independent video sources requires independent audio sources... Thus, you'll need a set of headphones for every independent A/V source.

Make sense?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kennedy
The TVandnav2go box will provide one video input, and the Blitzsafe will provide the Audio input.

The ONLY unit I've ever seen that allows you to have INDEPENDENT control of multpile screens with multiple sources is the big boy from avelectronics.com
The multiplex unit works just like the Nav2go, but will accept 4 audio/video inputs and can output to 4 audio/video sources simultaneously.

I have this unit, and it works great. The $550 unit has a built in TV Tuner. I can watch TV on the Nav screen, DVD on the left seat, and Ipod Video on the right. Remember though, outputting independent video sources requires independent audio sources... Thus, you'll need a set of headphones for every independent A/V source.

Make sense?
For the most part yes...at least I thnk so

Since I plan on goin wit Nav2go, I would still need to get the Blitzsafe for the audio? Ive read somewhere here that, the blitzsafe is not perfect though, so is there somethin else I could use?

If I were to get this "big boy" from avelectronics.com I wouldnt need doms unit then?

Did i get it right?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Yes,
The blitzsafe unit serves to "tap" into the audio system via the CD-Changer/Radio. It was upgraded last month and seems to finally have all the bugs worked out.

The tvandnav2go "taps" into the video system via the navigation cable.

The avelectronics unit functions exactly as the tvnav2go, but does more.
- It has an integrated TV tuner (if option is selected)... That's one built in source.
- You can add 3 more sources and cycle through them, like a home stereo.
I personally am setting up DVD, Ipod Video, and PS2.
- It has inputs for 3 cameras, 1 is automatic override for reverse, the other 2 are just alternative video sources.

So... with the Nav in CD-Changer mode, you seleect what source is diplayed in the navi, and comes out the speakers.
The rear seat can pick a seperate source, but the audio CAN'T come out the same speakers, so you need headphones.

Think of it as a high end home theater AV receiver that allows you to play 2 sources in 2 different locations. In order to do that, you have to have a TV AND SPEAKERS in each location. The same is true with this unit, except the headphoes serve as the other set of speakers.

You could easily go with the blitzsafe and tvnav2go, and just extend the RCA cables to the glovebox. This would allow you to physically change hardware as you see fit, but you can't do it quickly, and you can't operate multiple source simultaneously.

I bought it for the TV Tuner and the multiple sources. Thta's too cool, and Caelah's 2 years old, and those Wiggles CD's are already showing up. No thanks.

For the most part yes...at least I thnk so

Since I plan on goin wit Nav2go, I would still need to get the Blitzsafe for the audio? Ive read somewhere here that, the blitzsafe is not perfect though, so is there somethin else I could use?

If I were to get this "big boy" from avelectronics.com I wouldnt need doms unit then?

Did i get it right?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Racer

Yes,
The blitzsafe unit serves to "tap" into the audio system via the CD-Changer/Radio. It was upgraded last month and seems to finally have all the bugs worked out.
1. How much is the blitzsafe and where do I get it?

You could easily go with the blitzsafe and tvnav2go, and just extend the RCA cables to the glovebox. This would allow you to physically change hardware as you see fit, but you can't do it quickly, and you can't operate multiple source simultaneously.
2. Are you saying that if I go with the Nav2go & Blitzsafe combo, I wont be able to play the Nav in the front and/or a movie in the back at the same time?

I'm really not into the camera or the TV tuner. I just want to be able to watch movies and still be able to switch to regular Nav in the front if I have to.

3. Also do you know if that is the current price for the avelectronic or has it gone up or down??? Down would b GREAT!!

I bought it for the TV Tuner and the multiple sources. Thta's too cool, and Caelah's 2 years old, and those Wiggles CD's are already showing up. No thanks.
Wiggles......they are annoying as hell!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:23 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

1. How much is the blitzsafe and where do I get it?

2. Are you saying that if I go with the Nav2go & Blitzsafe combo, I wont be able to play the Nav in the front and/or a movie in the back at the same time?

I'm really not into the camera or the TV tuner. I just want to be able to watch movies and still be able to switch to regular Nav in the front if I have to.

3. Also do you know if that is the current price for the avelectronic or has it gone up or down??? Down would b GREAT!!

Wiggles......they are annoying as hell!
1) $90 enfigcaraudio.com blitzsafe aux v2.x

2) only if you direct wire the rear monitors to the DVD. no DVD in the front without nav2go

3) $550-$650 depending on options. give em a call.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Racer

1) $90 enfigcaraudio.com blitzsafe aux v2.x

2) only if you direct wire the rear monitors to the DVD. no DVD in the front without nav2go

3) $550-$650 depending on options. give em a call.
Thanks I appreciate it all your help , sorry bout so many noob questions!
I think I got it now
Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Intermediate

yo i thought about doing that to my TL but i going to put the SAVV custom headrest tv
Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Zax do you have the ron jon kit?
And if you do did you get it painted by them ?
And how the paint look with your tl i want to get them put dont know if i should have em painted or do it my self.