Head unit issue? Factory amp issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 AM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
Head unit issue? Factory amp issue?

It has been unusually cold here in Mississippi this winter. We have seen single digit temps several times and this last week was spent in the teens and twenties. I am having an issue with my audio in cold temps. For around 45 min to an hour after startup, I have to have my volume maxed out at 40 to even hear audio. Once the interior warms up, things slowly go back to normal. I am trying to pinpoint if it's the factory head unit or the factory amp causing the issue. I am running an aftermarket sub and am pulling the signal for it before the factory amp. In my opinion, if it was the factory amp that was the issue, my sub would be blowing me out when the volume was maxed out. I think it may be the head unit. Has anyone come across this issue before?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 PM

So, nobody's ever heard of this? I'm all alone here huh?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
I don't think anyone responded because it seems that you answered your own question in your original post. Get your head unit checked out. I have never heard of this before.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
I don't think anyone responded because it seems that you answered your own question in your original post. Get your head unit checked out. I have never heard of this before.
This.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Wacker, do you have an update? Have the temps warmed up?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wacker
It has been unusually cold here in Mississippi this winter. We have seen single digit temps several times and this last week was spent in the teens and twenties. I am having an issue with my audio in cold temps. For around 45 min to an hour after startup, I have to have my volume maxed out at 40 to even hear audio. Once the interior warms up, things slowly go back to normal. I am trying to pinpoint if it's the factory head unit or the factory amp causing the issue. I am running an aftermarket sub and am pulling the signal for it before the factory amp. In my opinion, if it was the factory amp that was the issue, my sub would be blowing me out when the volume was maxed out. I think it may be the head unit. Has anyone come across this issue before?
Hey bud, I used to have this issue in my infinity m35x

It was the factory head unit. It was dragging from the amp to the sub. I went and replaced the fuses on the amp and the fuses to the radio with a higher watt. It fixed the problem. I don't know if it will on the acura. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar problem but it only affects the left channel. I need to set balance to L3 to get a good balance and after about 30 minutes of Ozzie's Boneyard with volume at 30 I have to set the balance back to center. It seems the left channel is weak and after it warms up it returns to normal. My dealership can't figure it out.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
It is the factory amp. This has been discussed several times in different threads and I experience the same thing when I had my TL.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 AM

It would still be nice to know if anybody else had the same issue and what the fix was. Get my head unit checked out? Where? lol....

Wacker, do you have an update? Have the temps warmed up?
. No, it's stayed pretty cold here. I get so irritated when I drive the wife's 04 Navi. You can cruise with the volume on 5 or 6 and it's a great listening level. With mine, first thing in the morning, I have to turn it to 40 and still can't hardly hear it at highway speeds. It never does get to where it should be.

Originally Posted by SilverOmen
Hey bud, I used to have this issue in my infinity m35x

It was the factory head unit. It was dragging from the amp to the sub. I went and replaced the fuses on the amp and the fuses to the radio with a higher watt. It fixed the problem. I don't know if it will on the acura. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents
I'll check that out. I'm not quite sure what "dragging" means, but I'm still up for checking/upgrading fuses.

Originally Posted by Trudge
I have a similar problem but it only affects the left channel. I need to set balance to L3 to get a good balance and after about 30 minutes of Ozzie's Boneyard with volume at 30 I have to set the balance back to center. It seems the left channel is weak and after it warms up it returns to normal. My dealership can't figure it out.
Mine affects all speakers. Even my aftermarket amp/sub that is getting its signal pre-amp.

Originally Posted by niebur3
It is the factory amp. This has been discussed several times in different threads and I experience the same thing when I had my TL.
If it was my factory amp then my aftermarket sub (which is getting signal directly off of the head unit) would pound my head off when I have my volume levels at 40 first thing in the morning. This is not the case.

I was hoping someone knew that there was a fix for this. Perhaps replacing a diode or resistor in the head unit or something else simple like that.

Wishful thinking

Last edited by Wacker; 02-09-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:09 AM
8th Gear

WARNING. Do not increase the amp rating of your fuses. Fuses are there to protect your wiring from melting and possible fire. Inserting higher amperage fuses turns your wiring into a fuse.

I would get my system back to original by completely disconnecting the sub from the factory system and then see if the problem persisted.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
You went pre-amp for your sub? That's a bit unusual, I've never seen anyone go pre-amp for just the sub before. Are you positive (are you the one that wired it)?

The ones I've seen with this problem were also attributed to the amp, not the HU.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Trudge

I would get my system back to original by completely disconnecting the sub from the factory system and then see if the problem persisted.
I already have. The problem persists.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You went pre-amp for your sub? That's a bit unusual, I've never seen anyone go pre-amp for just the sub before. Are you positive (are you the one that wired it)?

The ones I've seen with this problem were also attributed to the amp, not the HU.
I went pre amp because of noise issues in the sub channel when I went post amp. I have the wife's 04 navi wired the exact same way with absolutely no issues at all.

I wired both cars myself.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same issue. It doesn't get *that* cold here, but around 30 or so it is considerably worse. I have to crank it to 40 to even hear it. I replaced the amp with another factory unit and have the same problem still.

Looks like its the head unit for me as well, which is awesome bc I have NAV as well, so I'm sure that will be a cheap fix. not....