Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full System Install - Simplicity :)

Just got my car back from Bing...SimplicityinSound...WOW!!! Sounds incredible

The pictures speak for themselves...enjoy

Bings report

Zapco DC reference 650.6 for the front channel and a 1000.4 for hte two subs.

lets get started

Front stage consists of a cusotm 3 way zapco comepetition set. a 4" midrange and tweeter were installed into the kicks, aimed on axis at the opposite listender, each mid and tweet is run active with 50 watts from the 650.6

the previously installed zapco comp midbass was left int he stock lower door location, i went over the dampening with a roller and sealed up wthe holes with some edead v4 foam, the midbass recieve 120 watts a piece active from the 650.6

thats it for interior speakers moving on to the trunk...we decided to do a full stealth install...so here is hte view with the top cover on, the floor was raised about 4" to accomodate the amps.

remove the top cover, and here is hwat the install looks like, the two zapco amps and two zapco SQ 10" subs sit in a red suede lined well, with clouded plexi dividers...there is a also a top plexi piece, that has been routed and poilshed. all wires pass through grommits

flick a switch and the two dividers light up:

perhaps its better seen at night

so thats about it...i have to say, this is by far the best sounding stock headunit system i have ever done, by tapping before hte stock amp, the signal is pretty much flat, whcih travels via simblink to the amps...the dc refernece amps has all the processing on board, so we just plug a laptop into it and can tune precisely

here are a few behind the scene pics as usual:

wiring going back

the bottom of hte amp/sub rack, wiht all the wires bundled

the hybrid mdf/fiberglass box i built...i originally was going to build a full fiberglass bottom box, but since the subs need to be in individual chambers and i have had some difficulties in the past doing perfectly divided chambers with a full glass bottom, i chose this option instead

the wiring below the floor:

and finally, a lot of you hvae asked how the bass gets through, well, the top cover is always vented the carpet is also without backing so it is full breathable

cheers
Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
everything looks good except those kick panel speaker pods... no offense but that looks terrible. They should have molded it into the kick panel....

To each their own, and as long as you like it.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Advanced

i know what you mean i am not sure if i agree with you in that htey look "terrible" unless you are just used to seeing molded in kicks everytime

i would have preferred to do it as well but was limited by the time and budget...with the design of the acura driver side kicks, it has to be molded out, then sanded perfect and then SEM coated...

i had about two weeks to do the entire intsall, and that inlcuded completely removing, figuring out, and repairing if needed, the old install, whcih took from start to finish, about 4.5 days...so leaving me with really only 5 days to start from scratch

maybe in the future, we cna add it as a secondary project...i would need about 2-3 full days to get it done in time...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A STEALTH SYSTEM! Your system is amazing!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 PM
East Coast Crew

It's kind of sloppy that they didn't run the wires underneath the carpet.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 AM
05 TL

Originally Posted by visuelz
What? There is not 1 wire out of place on this system.

Clean. I wish I had the money to do this.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

You're looking at the "in progress" pics...at completion everything is buttoned up perfectly...very professional work
Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
everything looks good except those kick panel speaker pods... no offense but that looks terrible. They should have molded it into the kick panel....

They look great in person and most importantly the system sounds phenominal...I'm heading to the Bay Area meet today, we'll get some first hand opinions What I really like is the flexibility/tunability of the amps...with a usb cable to the front seat. I will be able to plug the amps into my laptop and play around with tuning...that is very, very cool
Old 12-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you serious? Or are you joking?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to see your over on this site, Bing. I always look forward to seeing new threads on new installs. I'm glad i finally got to see you do a 3g TL install. You needed a break from the Infiniti's, lol.

One question, Bing. Where do you order the carpeting?.. Awesome work BTW.

I'm glad you got everything fixed and done right this time, Chico.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Advanced

hey guys, thanks for the input.

the carpet i use is called flexform, i prefer it over any kind of trunk liner cause its thicker, higher grade and in general looks better.

you can check with your local automotive warehouse, i get it through a place called resonation customs in colorado becuase no one locally carries it. but just do a search for flexform and you are good to go

b
Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced

beautiful.

i had a system in my tahoe. (2 12" JL W3V2 subs with a 500/1 JL amp, alpine head unit, and alpine speakers) it was tits. but no it's gone. oh well... time to start over
Old 12-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Great work again Bing! Pictures just don't do this install justice... How did it sound after tuning?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
how much was the custom setup? I am talking about labour only excluding the parts.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced

well, i count all cost of wiring and materials as part of labor cost...

for something like this, if i started witih a clean slate, in the 2k range, but since i spent so much time taking out the original install and redoing things...its closer to 3k...
Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced

oh and i tuned it to have less highs, but turns out, mr. chico likes a lot of highs so we ended up leaving it at a level similar to when oyu heard it
Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very Very nice install. I like the amps under the plexi window. I'm assuming you lost your spare tire. Kinda reminds me of my first install.

How would you design it if the customer wanted to keep the spare?

Sorry But I'm not feeling the pods. I would end up stepping on the drivers pod. I'm sure they sound good. Maybe mold something into the door speaker panel that would aim upward may be better.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by King of Pain
Very Very nice install. I like the amps under the plexi window. I'm assuming you lost your spare tire. Kinda reminds me of my first install.

Sorry But I'm not feeling the pods. I would end up stepping on the drivers pod. I'm sure they sound good. Maybe mold something into the door speaker panel that would aim upward may be better.

if spare must be kept, theni always say the install must mean the sapre can be reached easily, that owuld probably take some more designing, hard to say without having all the gear infront of me wit hthe empty trunk to look at

as i said, kicks thing is the best under the time and budget alotment door panel molding owuld sorta defeat the point of having kicks with respects to path difference minimization
Old 12-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Kang Ho

ba da bing ba da boom! The system sound really great. My budget isnt very high as ChicoOG, time to save up some money.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Locks nice. Did you use 2 gauge or 0 gauge power wire to the trunk? Also where in the fire wall did you dill the whole to run the power wire? I like the stealth look!
Old 12-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I was trying to remember the last time I used a spare...can't remember love AAA

Couple people aren't liking the pods...I think they are great!!! I may change my mind when I go to the DIY meet in '08 If so, we can always modify later...doing new stuff is always fun

Favorite aspects of new install: Sound, Sound, Sound....and Tuning Capabilities, Trunk - Stealth and POW!!, and separate sub-volume control...

Thumbs up to Bing, he is great to work with: great communication, follows-through on commitments, meticulous craftsmanship, GREAT reputation in the industry...which allows him to make things happen...the guy knows people all over the country and has people sending him cars from out of state. I am glad to be part of the club
Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the pods contribute to an amazing soundstage. It's always good to experiment and try new things.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the pods contribute to an amazing soundstage. It's always good to experiment and try new things.
KP...no offense taken I already know that going to the DIY Mobile meet is going to be a bad idea...I'll hear and see things that will lead me to more mods But, for now, I am lovin' it
Old 12-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I already know that going to the DIY Mobile meet is going to be a bad idea...I'll hear and see things that will lead me to more mods But, for now, I am lovin' it
Hey Buddy, I know the feeling. I'm looking at your install and it gives me new ideas for mine. I can't stop playing around with my stuff. I look at my install and I want to do something different or add another little piece here or there. I'm like an audio crackhead looking for the next high.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
on the other hand, the false floor looks great...
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

on the other hand, the false floor looks great...
Thanks...the more I listen to it the better it sounds. Was hoping to mess around with the tuning a bit, but the software isn't mac compatible
Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Kang Ho

The speakers looks great at the bottom, but what happens when the weather isnt so good? Worst, someone steps on it? That would be so bad...
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
System looks great. I'm looking to do a system in the spring and this is exactly what I mean when I say I want it to be stealth. This will leave me with a bad ass system without having to sacrafice any trunk space!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Advanced

a common misperception is that kicks are fragile...i have built over 150 pairs over the yeras, and never had one destroy a speaker or a kick, ever, the worst that has happened is a dented grille.

the fiberglass is very strong, and sepakres with their grilles are pretty sturdy too...as for moisture or dirt, remember this, the FRONT of speakres, are pretty sturdy, designed to withstand moister, dirt, UV, its the back that you dont want to get wet...and whats more or less what you get with door locations

trust me, if people broke them the first time someone careless sat in the car, or the minute it was raining, i would have stoppped building them a long time ago hehe i didnt invent the concept after all its a tried and true way to improve SQ in cars and has proven tot be a very sturdy and reliable location if its built right
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simplicityinsound Where is your shop? Since you're not an official Vendor would you mind sending me the details via PM?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
2008 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I'm running close to 2000w and have no power drain problems, no capacitors or other gear...our cars should be able to handle 500w with no issues at all.
Can you think of anything that might make the voltage drop out? An old defective amp? Old defective subwoofer? I don't know...perhaps I should replace my battery?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I did upgrade my battery to a Stinger, but my guess would be the amp (if it is old and inefficient) You have an '08, i would guess the battery and everything else is good. Just check the stuff you added (amp, sub, wiring) to see what is draining power.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree they do look terrible especially considering how perfect and well hidden the rest of the install is.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were thoroughly destroyed within a year. But you chose to put them there so you must like it.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, a lot of people have said that...but, they are fine with me...they sound absolutely awesome and, after 8 months, they look like day one...they are called "kicks" because they can handle them
Old 08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
EVNS TL

the pods would look a little better if they were covered in matching vinyl instead of that horrid carpet and painted to match the factory grills in the doors. including the metal trim ring. just my $0.02