DVD addition to 2007 TL S NAVI w/ CAM

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD addition to 2007 TL S NAVI w/ CAM

Has anyone added the DVD 2 go or the dvd addition to a 2007 TL S? The 2007 TL/S has the camera already so I am curious if the mod that is already out there will work on the 07 TL S system?

Any thoughts or anyone with this experience?

I just got my TL/S yesterday and LOVE it!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Htown slab rider

I already have it on a 1st gen
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't remember if I've seen any yet.

If the '07 TL-S uses the same pin navigation harness, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Contact Dominic and see if he knows.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
07 NBP TL-S

I'm pretty sure that TLFourplay was done this mod on his TL-S. He has the most moded TL-S on the forum and it is a beauty.

Congrats on the TL-S by btw.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

^ Good call.

Looking at TLFourPlay's signature, it does state that he has a navi video converter installed. PM him to see if it is indeed Dom's TVandNav2Go.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know too much about this stuff, but I've done a little bit of research on the topic for my own car prior to this. At this point, there is just too much stuff that needs to be modified for my liking; most of that worry is concerning warranty-voiding issues.

I'm guessing that this DVD video mod is a lot easier on this type of car because the video components have already been hacked into by what I'm guessing is some sort of external module. I'd be interested in seeing how easy it is to add the DVD video player interface to this.

Also, and not to hijack the thread too much, but how easy or doable is it to add the 2007 back-up cam option to a 2006? (with navi of course)
Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brettallica
Also, and not to hijack the thread too much, but how easy or doable is it to add the 2007 back-up cam option to a 2006? (with navi of course)
This has been discussed before. The '07 backup camera connects to a plug on the navi dvd-rom drive in the trunk. You'll have to swap the dvd-rom drive in order to use the new camera.

The camera is also very pricey for most of us to want to experiment with.

The discussion can be found in the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ
Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Sorry to bring back this post again, but rnye623 did you ever get an answer to this? was it Doms Unit?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Athena says 'hi'

I just e-mailed him with that question. I'll get back to this with his response.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just installed Dom's DVD and Nav to go with a Myron and Davis DVD player into my 07 TL Type S. Everything works great. The picture is better than I thought it would be. I have the audio running into the Aux input in the arm rest. The DVD player is mounted in the glove box.

This mod did not effect the backup camera. Let me know if you need any additional information about the install process.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Instructor

I would love to see how you did it (pics, diagrams, etc). Anything would help since I am planning on doing this mod sooner or later.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MC82
I would love to see how you did it (pics, diagrams, etc). Anything would help since I am planning on doing this mod sooner or later.
I will post pictures this weekend of the completed mod. It was a very easy install.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Athena says 'hi'

Any word on those pics for the 2007 TL-S install? Is it possible to do it without going into the Aux?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Athena says 'hi'

Dom says it's fully functional with the TL-S 2007, and people have done it -- even though there is the Rear View Cam.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
User-N-Abuser

Originally Posted by pravin.george
Dom says it's fully functional with the TL-S 2007, and people have done it -- even though there is the Rear View Cam.
I don't have a TL-S but my 2007 TL came with rear View Cam and I installed Dom's Nav2Go yesterday and it worked like a charm. The only things I can add is that I did not use the VIDEO 2 and I did not connect the blue wire anywhere. The camera still works in reverse as long as the DVD switch is not on. If you are watching a movie and suddenly shift into reverse, the backup camera will not activate because I left the factory install of the backup camera as is. Which means that as long as I'm not watching a movie and my Navigation Screen is on as soon as I shift into reverse the backup camera will activate.

I may have attempted to take the video from backup camera and send into the VIDEO2 and then connect the blue wire to backup light but I figured that its already setup and I didn't need to do anything else.

Also I am using an adapter from Radio Shack to send left and right audio into the aux port so in order to watch and hear a movie I need to click on the AUX button or click on "mode" on my steering wheel until I hear the movie playing, then click on my dvd button or toggle switch if you are using doms switch as is and watch the movie.

One last thing, I haven't hacked the navi or anything so if I turn on my car and then hit the power button on my dvd and the last thing I was doing was watching a movie the movie will come on for 30 seconds and then black screen. At first I got scared but what is happening is that I never removed the OK Nag so the display shuts off if I don't click the OK button before trying to watch the movie.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Athena says 'hi'

What part did you get from Radio Shack? Is it something you can use wirelessly, or is it something you had to run through your car? Did you take pics of the install? I'd like to see how you routed the sound. Also, what did you hook up the Power to -- I saw a DIY of where the ground is, but what would you suggest is a good on/off power source in the trunk?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
User-N-Abuser

No Pics Yet but its already been posted.

Unfortunately, I did the install little by little and I didn't have a camera through most of the process. I did however use the knowledge that I got from many of the posts on this forum. So you should be able to find everything you need using search "DVD" "Nav2go" and "Dom"

I went to AutoZone and bought a mini add-a-fuse and extra BUSS 7.5 fuses. Unplugged fuse 32 and plugged it into the mini and then added another 7.5 fuse and plugged mini back into slot 32. I routed the wire around the side of the car as opposed to through the console, I used a butter knife to pry up the trim panel slightly and push the wire underneath. Also, I had a huge problem trying to get the seat out so I gave up and routed the wires in between the cushions and below the trunk pass through. You unscrew the 2 10mm "A-bolts" and by the way don't unscrew the seatbelt screws like I did, the correct bolts are the two bolts just to the right of the seatbelts. It was a real bitch to get those out and even worse to try and bolt back the seat belts which I haven't done yet although my seats are still tightly snug because as I mentioned I just couldn't get the so called "b-hooks" underneath the seat to release. I don't know if they are different for the 07 but everyone else seems to have been able to reach and release them easily enough but I couldn't get under the seat to pull them out, it just wouldn't go.

Anyway, I physically sat in the back seat and opened up the trunk pass through and with my left hand I gripped the seat back and pulled up as hard as I could and with my right hand underneath the seat back I pulled the wires for the Nav2Go power, toggle switch and Video out underneath that so I could just route them in between the back and bottom seats and along the sides of the car to get to the front drivers side. It's really simple that way and I wish I hadn't unscrewed the bolts in the first place but oh well.

For a professional looking install, you are going to have to cut a hole in the center console so you can route your audio cables from the dvd player into the adapter that you plug into the "AUX" port. I don't know how to post pics on here but you should go to Radio Shack and look for an adapter with a "male" connector that looks like your headphone or IPOD connector and the "female" end of the adapter will have red and white holes for left and Right RCA cables that come out of a standard dvd player or ps2. As far as I know you can't get audio from that port wirelessly. You are going to have to route RCA or

As far as the NAV2GO. It was very simple. I took the two white wires, green wire, black from harness and black from Nav2Go and twisted the ends all together and then crimped a big eyelet to that and grounded them all together to the grounding bolt that everyone else used next to and above the nav unit. I seperated the blue "camera" wire which I'm not using for anything and its just sitting there loose right now. I also seperated the black power and the red and black toggle wires, cut them and spliced together extension wires and extended those wires through the trunk under the trunk pass through and routed those to the front of the car. I wouldn't suggest powering anything from the Nav wires and fuse 32 is an easy clean source to pull power from.

I hope I answered most of your questions, I'll post pictures once I look into how to post pictures and of course when I'm done with my dvd mounting solution. At the moment I rest my dvd player on top of my armrest when I'm in the car and disconnect the wires and remove it when I leave the car.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Athena says 'hi'

Are there any power sources that can be used as an always on/while car is on in the trunk that I can draw power off of?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 AM
User-N-Abuser

NAV Unit maybe.

You could pull power from your Navi unit in the trunk, but that is not recommended and should any navi warranty issues arise, a judgement may not be in your favor. Other than that I think you will have to run power from the front somewhere, either cig lighter or a clean source under the steering wheel. There is nothing else in the trunk that would require constant power while the car is on by factory default.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Levelpar1
I just installed Dom's DVD and Nav to go with a Myron and Davis DVD player into my 07 TL Type S. Everything works great. The picture is better than I thought it would be. I have the audio running into the Aux input in the arm rest. The DVD player is mounted in the glove box.

This mod did not effect the backup camera. Let me know if you need any additional information about the install process.
I am also interested in this mod. Glad someone has done this mod, so others could learn.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Athena says 'hi'

I'm really not into drilling holes in my new baby. Is there any other switchable fuse or source I could use, or is it drill time? I mean, the Aux port is in the central console too, so that would be sweet, but I'm really really really dreading drilling through there. Is there ANY OTHER WAY (that wouldn't affect my warranty)??
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 PM
User-N-Abuser

Take a look in the trunk.

If you remove all of the lining in the trunk you will notice that the only wires back there are connected to the nav unit, rear lights and ground bolt unless something else was added by someone else. So the only power available would be the power to the nav which will require splicing and has a much greater possibility of you doing something wrong if you don't know what you are splicing and then there is the rear light which doesn't provide constant power so that wouldn't work for the nav to operate normally.

As I mentioned earlier, you could route a power wire from the fuse panel up front all the way along the trim of the car, back to the rear and then without having to even remove the seats you could tuck the power wire and the switch to Dom's unit in between the seats and underneath the trunk pass through. You can use that power wire to connect dom's unit and an audio device rather than cutting into your auxilliary port. The only thing is the "aux" port is so convenient that it would be a shame not to use it regardless of having to cut the console up a bit.

Those may be your only options but patience and proper planning can help you avoid any major problems during the install. I wish I could have posted my install already but I'm not completely done so by the time I post you may have already started your project. Either way good luck. This mod is definitely worth the work though, I can't get enough of it.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

Question

Why hasn't the procedure been posted and put into a how to thread and stuck?

It seems like people on this forum are reluctant to share compared to some other forums I've been on.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Athena says 'hi'

Thanks a lot guys. I bought an FM Modulator that I'm probably going to hardwire and connect to the output of a DVD player that I also just bought. FM Modulator = $10.00 and DVD player = $99.99. Now, all I need to get is the Dom Unit. I'll try and take pics if everything goes right. Otherwise, there'll be sad pics of a torn up 2007 TL.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 AM
User-N-Abuser

FYI. People in this forum are by no means reluctant...

Originally Posted by TL Marlin

It seems like people on this forum are reluctant to share compared to some other forums I've been on.
There are many threads on this forum with plenty of explanations and pics, all you have to do is search. Using key words such as "DVD", "Nav2Go", or NAV to DVD. This should lead you in the right direction. datmrman, dcc and a few other users have posted great DIY's although I'm not sure where specifically they are posted but look up their previous posts and you will see what I mean.

What I did may be a spin on their installations but its basically the same thing. In fact, I used all of their posts, pictures and ideas to get the courage to take my TL apart and I have never attempted something like this before.

I myself have not taken pictures because I'm not completely done with my mod yet but I will very shortly. Hopefully by this weekend. If you have specific questions, just ask. People on here are very receptive to requests for advice and assistance.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 AM
User-N-Abuser

FM modulators suck.

Originally Posted by pravin.george
Thanks a lot guys. I bought an FM Modulator that I'm probably going to hardwire and connect to the output of a DVD player that I also just bought. FM Modulator = $10.00 and DVD player = $99.99. Now, all I need to get is the Dom Unit. I'll try and take pics if everything goes right. Otherwise, there'll be sad pics of a torn up 2007 TL.
You could definitely go that route but i have yet to get an FM modulator that didn't sound like crap even after the first few uses. If you can tolerate the constant static go for it. I'm happy with the sound from the AUX port. LIke I told the other guy, if you have any specific questions about things that haven't been explained too clearly, feel free to ask.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Athena says 'hi'

I wouldn't really have a problem with the Aux Port, but they put it in the console! That'd be drilling... I guess I could do it, albeit very reluctantly -- also, that would mean I'd have to take the center console out... right?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Athena says 'hi'

I just looked, it seems as though there's a little door on the underside of the center console -- perhaps I won't have to drill?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TL Marlin

Sticky: 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ

Inside that sticky:Lots more with some research.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Athena says 'hi'

Ok - I just ordered the TV and Nav 2 go. I'll probably try to write up a comprehensive DIY if I end up actually doing it for the 2007TL.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Athena says 'hi'

I just added it to the 2007 TL-S: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159520
Old 05-31-2007, 02:10 AM
10th Gear

Does the myron&davis ad212 dvd player play burn dvd+r..??