DualDisc is here! Hopefully it plays in our car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004 | 07:43 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

DualDisc is here! Hopefully it plays in our car...

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/149...headlines=true

Excited about the release of more and more albums on dualdisc, at the same price of normal albums. I remember some people here posting that they had sample dualdiscs and they did play (on the dvd side) in our TL's. hopefully all the albums are fully compliant with the spec and offer 5.1 audio, but i'm not sure about that... it doesnt look like it's pushed in the news reports out.
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:45 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

http://www.towerrecords.com/promo.as...01&from1=WEASP

i guess there is 5.1 audio. great! (wow mod, you are fast in moving! sorry i posted it in the wrong place.)
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the links. I've been waiting for more material to come out in DualDisc format.
Old 10-31-2004 | 10:14 PM
JT3
Instructor

Is DualDisc separated into its own section in music stores like DVD-A is, or do you just have to go through the CDs and get lucky?
Old 10-31-2004 | 10:46 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

The two DualDisc released this week are "The Donnas" and "Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any". Both of these were available at Best Buy for $9.99 this past week, however the Donnas disc has been recalled due to a defect on the CD side. The last song is cut short at :58 seconds. However, the DVD-A side is fine and both discs are 5.1 DVD-A.

More DualDiscs are scheduled to be released in the coming weeks, however, beware the Silverline releases of which most will be reissues of their titles already out on DVD-A.

These discs were NOT put in the DVD-A section, but just added in the regular CD area.
Old 10-31-2004 | 10:51 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Acoustic Sounds is listing 2 Mark Knopfler DVD Audio Discs available for Preorder - release date is Scheduled for December 7th. I am not sure if these will be DualDiscs or not, but the page says "Includes CD"........

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=15129

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=15131
Old 11-01-2004 | 08:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

This is awesome news!!

Fall 2004 is when albums are supposed to start trickling out with this new technology.

Check http://www.dualdisc.com for a little bit more information.

I just wonder if they will release some old albums in this format...
Old 11-01-2004 | 12:08 PM
Intermediate

DualDisc does play in our car!

Just so you all know, the DualDisc works fine in our systems. I have been testing these discs since the limited rollout in July and they've been great.

You should also know that the industry is doing a simultaneous rollout of two strategies, DualDisc and DoubleDisc, which is a DVD and CD in the same package. After a time, they will see what is selling and make that the standard practice. In either case, the consumer wins.

Finally, understand that the reason for both of these strategies is to have only one sku for new titles in a records store. Instead of searching for titles in back corners of Tower and Virgin, these will be right in with the CDs and you won't have the option to buy it separately. Better for the record companies and retailers, and since it is the only way it is released, you will find them anywhere you buy CDs, not just the big boxes.

Hopefully what this will mean for us all is a greater acceptance of surround and more titles to enjoy.

Originally Posted by zeezz
http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/149...headlines=true

Excited about the release of more and more albums on dualdisc, at the same price of normal albums. I remember some people here posting that they had sample dualdiscs and they did play (on the dvd side) in our TL's. hopefully all the albums are fully compliant with the spec and offer 5.1 audio, but i'm not sure about that... it doesnt look like it's pushed in the news reports out.
Old 11-01-2004 | 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123

Check http://www.dualdisc.com for a little bit more information.

So in looking at the FAQ, I see lots of talk about 5.1 audio but no mention of DVD-A specifically. Are these discs DVD-Audio or just surround mixes of the CD version (like the DTS CDs that are out there now)?
Old 11-01-2004 | 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Understanding DualDisc

There is no requirement for DVD-Audio, but most of the discs are DVD-A on one side, and CD on the other. The reason they don't make a big deal about it is that a DualDisc is a DVD on one side (any flavor) and a CD on the other (also any flavor, Rom/Audio/??). The main use of the technology right now is for music, so most are DVD-A & CD-A. ric

Originally Posted by planman
So in looking at the FAQ, I see lots of talk about 5.1 audio but no mention of DVD-A specifically. Are these discs DVD-Audio or just surround mixes of the CD version (like the DTS CDs that are out there now)?
Old 11-02-2004 | 05:22 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Just found this in USA Today.Dualdisc!!! No new info but they do mention that later this month we will see DualDiscs from Nine Inch Nails, Blondie and Jane Monheit. Looks like we're on our way!
Old 11-03-2004 | 02:07 AM
Royal Flush

Fantastic news!!! Good finds.
Old 12-20-2004 | 03:08 PM
Intermediate

has anyone tried the diana krall dualdisc "girl in the other room" yet? I was going to get it but I'm paranoid that it won't work? It's listed on amazon if anyone else is interested.
Old 12-20-2004 | 10:39 PM
JT3
Instructor

I got my hopes up when I saw that the newest U2 CD came in two versions... a CD version, and a combo CD/DVD version. I thought... Please-oh-please, let this be Dualdisc!

Alas... it's simply a two-disc set. One DVD (Video) and one CD. Darn... no, 5.1 U2 Audio for me.
Old 12-21-2004 | 08:18 AM
Safety Car

Just thought I'd throw in this tidbit of info. You might wanna check the back on some of the DualDiscs releases. Some of the companies opted for DVD-V instead of DVD-A. It will still play in our cars, but that is just the CD side and it is not hi-res. Sony for one will use DVD-V and stay with SACD as their hi-res format. I've checked some of the online sights and that info, whether DVD-A or DVD-V is not mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the whole thing and looking forward to new releases. DVD-V does nothing for the ELS unless you've converted the system to show DVD's.
Old 12-21-2004 | 09:50 AM
Intermediate

DualDiscs are fine!

Ok folks, a refresher. DualDiscs (where they are made as a CD on one side and a DVD-Audio disc on the other) work fine in the TL. I've tested a lot of the titles already and they all play fine. As for the discs that are CD and DVD-Video, I haven't seen any yet, but we all know that DVD-Video discs won't play in an unmodified TL.

Get the Diana Krall disc, it will be great. rw

Originally Posted by aloedesign
has anyone tried the diana krall dualdisc "girl in the other room" yet? I was going to get it but I'm paranoid that it won't work? It's listed on amazon if anyone else is interested.
Old 12-21-2004 | 12:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT3
I got my hopes up when I saw that the newest U2 CD came in two versions... a CD version, and a combo CD/DVD version. I thought... Please-oh-please, let this be Dualdisc!

Alas... it's simply a two-disc set. One DVD (Video) and one CD. Darn... no, 5.1 U2 Audio for me.
I don't think U2 will be quick on the dvd-audio discs. The problem is that Edge wants to be involved in mastering the sound of everything they release. Of course right now there is no time for him to do that. Thats why you havent seen dvd releases of many of their previous videos. As an obsessed U2 fan, its quite frustrating