DIY Navigation Hack: The RESURRECTION thread 2015 on steroids!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:43 AM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
DIY Navigation Hack: The RESURRECTION thread 2015 on steroids!

I've had my 2005 TL with Navi for 3 years. Since day 1, I found on this site a few threads that show how to mod your Navi system. The problem was, most of those threads were so old, almost a decade, most of the files and links were expired. I tried many times over the past years to find up-to-date threads with valid files that would allow me to, at least, mod my splash screen and remove the nag. During that time, I was able to gather fragments of the required files to apply the mods, and finally, I have a working solution that is easier to apply than any previous method, almost as simple as changing a wallpaper on a computer.

This is almost 2 years in the making, of patience and persistence, I am so happy to finally have a fully working hacked navigation unit that I will do this thread honor and make sure it lives on another decade if needed. I hope others can participate to make this thread complete, or at least tested on other disc versions. I wish somebody would have done this before, but I take it upon myself to help future TL owners and hackers and make their navigation system better.

This has been tested on a 05 TL running v3.50 orange DVD. The files I have gathered were scattered in so many threads, by so many users and links, I had to reconstruct what I understood from the process. I know a bunch of the files I use come from users that applied it on version 3.40 and 3.70, but I took my chances and got it working on 3.50. Others should try too, worse that can happen is you'll have to reload the stock DVD to navi...i heard our navis a very hard, if not impossible to brick as long as you have a stock DVD.

I made an All-in-one solution that minimizes the users work to get this working, basically, the only thing left to do is select your background and format it so that it is compatible with the Nav, non including disc burning time, you should be hacked within 10 minutes MAX if you've never edited a picture and 1 minute if you're not adding a custom background.

A DIY video is also posted at the bottom.

ALL THE LINKS ARE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE POST

Step 1: The first thing you should do is make a copy of the 9 .bin files from the original DVD. This will allow you to play with your hack without having to copy the files from the DVD each time, or if you make a mistake.

Step 2: Download my NaviHackAIO and extract it. This includes the 9 .bin files that have already been modded and patched + dumpnavi GUI. If you simply use those files as is, you will get a stock navi screen with the OK nag removed, Angrydad's trip computer and the shortcut to the diagnostic menu. If you want to change the navi screen, proceed to step 3, if not, step 6.

Step 3: Find your bootloader file by inserting your DVD back in car, turn the key to ACC then after splash screen, press Map/Guide + Menu + Cancel for 5 seconds, then press Version, then press Menu for 5 seconds and check what's the name of the .bin next to loader filename (or something close to that, I don't remember the exact name). In my case, it was "BNHH401A".

Step 4: If you decided to change your splash screen, you will have to create an image that is exactly 480x234 in size, it has to be in RGB format, use 8-bit colors, and be a .bmp file. If you want to use a custom image, or make your own, search the internet how to convert a picture using those requirement...in my case, I just found an old thread with a bunch of pre-made files, most of them were already corrupt, but some of them still work. I found a file that came in .png, I just changed the extension by renaming the file from .png to .bmp and accepting the warning. Some of you have some skills with Photoshop, I have none. So i found a nice little image manager called FastStone that allows me to resize pictures, lower their color quality and save in almost any format.

Step 5: Once you have your ready to go image, you have to rename it to "back.bmp". Then launch DumpNavi.exe and under bootloader, select the file specified in Step 3 but that was in the NaviHackAIO folder. Then check "Modify bitmap" and browse to your newly created "back.bmp". Make sure "Modify Nag Screen" is unchecked and you can click the "Modify" button on the bottom. If the modification fails, you messed something up with the image conversion. You can see what's wrong by right clicking on your image, select properties, go to details tab, and you should have exactly this:

Step 6: Now, you're ready to burn your DVD. Take the 9 .bin files you extracted, including the one you modified with your custom background, and burn them on a DVD. You have to make sure you burn the DVD in ISO mode, at lowest speed possible and finalize the disc. I personally use NeroBurningRom, but use what you want as long as it gives you the choice of burning in DVD-ISO format. Please refer to image below as a final burning checklist...and yes, it's normal that finalizing the disc takes about 5x as long as the burning process.

Step 7: Go to car with both discs, turn key to ACC position (last position before start), insert you original Navi DVD and wait until you see safety warning, then press Map/Guide + Menu + Cancel for 5 seconds, then press Version.

Step 8: At this point, you have follow this to the letter. Open plastic cover that protect the DVD player, then, pull down the DVD slot door to reveal Eject button. Press Eject and insert the DVD with the modified bootloader and the rest of the .bin files. LEAVE THE SLOT DOOR OPEN and quickly run to the Nav screen and press Disc Load, then quickly run back and close the slot. At this point, look through back windows and you should see a loading screen. As soon as thats done, you can open the slot and re-insert your original DVD. Now turn off the car, and turn back on to ACC position and your custom screen should appear and nag screen gone, and if you press "Info" you should see the option for the Trip Computer and Diagnostic menu.

If at any point, something doesnt work, you can always revert back to stock by inserting the original DVD, turn key to ACC, after splash screen, Map/Guide + Menu + Cancel for 5 seconds, then press Version and select Disc Load. This will re-install original .bin files and you'll be back to where you were before.

Dropbox link to NaviHackAIO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...aviHackAIO.zip

FastStone image viewer (to make your pictures compatible with navi): FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

Thread with already made backgrounds: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...images-589562/

THREAD RESSURECTED BY polish_pat

A decade later, still a big props to Angrydad, bysin, and Kenny for their work and effort for decompiling out navi files and finding a way to modify them

A special thanks to dwb993. The dude has no idea how much he helped, but thanks to his dropbox link that was still valid in the original Hacking thread, I was able to find all missing files I needed to repackage this hack and give others one single thread with valid links so they can have fun too.
The following 19 users liked this post by polish_pat:
*.jpg (08-30-2016), Acura TL Builder (05-19-2019), AgentEccks (10-30-2016), BreezyTL (04-12-2016), dwb993 (10-14-2015), Gadgetmanconnor (04-01-2016), Greenman604 (10-15-2015), hannamand (04-04-2017), Jonathan Hammond (10-26-2015), mazen222 (04-05-2016), MonkeyTrucker (10-13-2015), mrkingstonvi (11-19-2015), rockyfeller (11-30-2015), st_dot (10-13-2015), THTL (10-15-2015), treal512 (03-04-2017), WDPanda (02-22-2016), xblood (06-23-2016), zoostation (11-04-2016) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Thank You!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will this work with a 2007 TL? I believe I have the white dvd not orange.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Life Connoisseur

Perfect, will try and remove "AD" from my attempt though.

Thanks for not forcing a watermark on us PP!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JakeS
I don't believe so, but you'll never know for sure until you try!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by polish_pat
I don't believe so, but you'll never know for sure until you try!
Just did a little searching, looks like all I can do with the white dvd so far is the splash screen, which I think I will try. Saw a recent post that as of yet nobody has a bypass for the nag screen yet.

For the trip computer and other options, I am wondering if those can be added in the same way as the orange.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeS
Let us know if you try it out and if it works!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TL-Syndicate23
Let us know if you try it out and if it works!
Will do, I will mess with it and see if I can get anything to work.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Racer

I doubt the files I provided will be of any help, i saw a few posts about people attempting this in a white disc and the files to modify were totally different. Anyways, our nav system is pretty tolerant, if anything happens, just pop in stock dvd and reload disc
Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

I doubt the files I provided will be of any help, i saw a few posts about people attempting this in a white disc and the files to modify were totally different. Anyways, our nav system is pretty tolerant, if anything happens, just pop in stock dvd and reload disc
That's nice it's easy to bring them back to stock lol. I can tolerate the nag screen but the other functionality would be cool to add. If I can't do any of that I need to add a really nice splash screen haha!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Racer

So anybody that attempted this care to share some feedback? How easy it was? did it work first time around? Version of Map disc?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Racer

I am in contact with a TL-S owner that wants to help with the thread. He mentionned the white disc can only have the splash screen modded, nothing else. He will send me the instructions and files and an updated dropbox folder will be available later tonight. Stay tuned
Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

I am in contact with a TL-S owner that wants to help with the thread. He mentionned the white disc can only have the splash screen modded, nothing else. He will send me the instructions and files and an updated dropbox folder will be available later tonight. Stay tuned
That's great thanks for doing that!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Life Connoisseur

So anybody that attempted this care to share some feedback? How easy it was? did it work first time around? Version of Map disc?
I'm awaiting until I can remove the "AD" watermark for my attempt. Will post back results on that when successful. While I was researching a few members figured out how to bypass that new "nag."

If it requires characters, which I think it does if I recall, I'll replace it with "TL" and share the results.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Life Connoisseur

Links for other to "defeat AD"

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...feated-606158/

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...ything-606184/

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 10-13-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Racer

yeah i saw those thread, but they required tools i didnt know how to use. And to be honest, i've done so much work already just to figure out how all those pieces of thread all fit together, i'll settle for a mesely AD
The following 2 users liked this post by polish_pat:
MonkeyTrucker (10-13-2015), petroboy37ent (11-24-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Life Connoisseur

yeah i saw those thread...i'll settle for a mesely AD

I just know I'll be saying "Angry Dad" in a voice I imagine as his every time I see it...

Old 10-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Man this is awesome! Thanks! I was just reading that thread on how to hack the navi and saw it was from 2006 and figured most of the stuff was super outdated. Perfect timing.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Life Connoisseur

Providing a second all-encompassing drop box link for posterity with sample images, summary, hyperlinks, portable FastStone application, and MP4 video of demo by Polish Pat.

I take zero credit, none whatsoever, just compiled it all so that in the future it works as Polish Pat explained it, no need to hunt down non-existent software or files another decade from now.....seeing how dead links occur over time, as this thread's existence is proof of.

If I can find or come up with another "AD" delete patch, tool, or explanation, I'll add it in as well.

Thanks again Polish "Project" Pat!

Drop Box Download
The following users liked this post:
polish_pat (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 03:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
Providing a second all-encompassing drop box link for posterity with sample images, summary, hyperlinks, portable FastStone application, and MP4 video of demo by Polish Pat.

I take zero credit, none whatsoever, just compiled it all so that in the future it works as Polish Pat explained it, no need to hunt down non-existent software or files another decade from now.....seeing how dead links occur over time, as this thread's existence is proof of.

If I can find or come up with another "AD" delete patch, tool, or explanation, I'll add it in as well.

Thanks again Polish "Project" Pat!

Drop Box Download
You beat me to it, but now how intended to. I was going to release a dropbox file called "DevNaviHack" that included all the files and information gathered over the years, including exe to the pic editor and some other software, it would have been for the adventurous souls that have the patience to go through an intensive trial and error session. I just set focus on the most important, pushing a 95% complete compilation of files that unlocked the fully hacked Navi that would allow anybody that missed the initial wave of valid and complete threads, but were forgotten as the years passed and the links, one by one, got extinct.

I actually have about 350mb worth of files that were all gathered in the past 2 years. Because not everybody is as organized as I am, because if anybody finds this link in 10 years it will be easy for them to understand, unlike most files i got, no telling label, no how-to, no links. Some files are for the white dvd, others the orange, but i have no idea for what version...

Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Thanks for the credit, Pat.

White disk owners (07+) cannot remove the nag screen/OK button. They can only change the splash screen. It has been this way from the start. I was able to put a new splash on my GF's 06 Accord before she totalled it, but the process is different and requires some additional tools (cebin and Bysin).

Also, there is no need to copy all 8 or 9 BIN files---you only need the BIN file identified using Pat's instructions above AND the loader file (BN2HHMLD.BIN in my case--06TL AT. Its the file that ends with "LD"). Modify the BIN file with the splash screen and OK button fix, then burn the modified file and the loader file to DVD and proceed with Pat's instructions.

Good luck. Happy I could contribute!
The following users liked this post:
petroboy37ent (11-24-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I don't believe that you should remove AD. give credit where credit is due.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pohljm
I don't believe that you should remove AD. give credit where credit is due.
Except that nobody that will ever enter your vehicle know or care about ad. Give credit where credit is understood, on the forum, by pm, or by resurrecting his work.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

actually service techs ask, other people that have same car ask
Old 10-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Racer

actually service techs ask, other people that have same car ask
I think, in the very rare occasion somebody actually sees that something is unusual with the navi unit, I'm pretty sure their first observation will be "how did you get your car to welcome you by name" or "how'd you get that sexy chick on your screen"...not whats that small "ad" that appears after the super cool, super obvious, custom image.

As I said, credit is not taken away by removing the logo, in the eventuality anybody realizes you modded your navi, the last thing they are going to care about is the name of the guy that helped. I absolutely agree that he should get a lot of credit for the time hes put into the process and thats why a hit on that thanks button, maybe a PM, and making sure his work is not forgotten is all the credit he deserves.

Also, he didnt hack the navi to allow map updates for free, or allow us to install windows, he just edited a chain of commands to include a shortcut to a menu that already existed but was only reserved for dealers...its great work, but I probably spent more time getting this thread posted and playing around with fragmented files until i was able to reconstruct the process.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

yes so why would you go into someones code that provided a great service and remove their signature? you said it yourself, the "ad" is inconsequential.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
I'll dig up my old pc and still see if I have any of the files provided by another member that was pissed that Angry Dad put in the AD, this one has the AD removed.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:48 AM
Racer

yes so why would you go into someones code that provided a great service and remove their signature? you said it yourself, the "ad" is inconsequential.
I wouldn't. Did you see me mentioning otherwise? I just said that if others do it, I will respect their decision and even support it. But I do understand that people are not happy, usually such signature is not well taken, its neither descriptive of anything and sort of random, it probably would have been better if he input "hacked by ad". I mean on a achievement scale, hes a 0.1...he just was smart enough to try things that made sense to him and eventually one worked. If you compare that to lets say, the work of a true pioneer like Geohot, that has done single handedly what other have taken years to try and miserably fail, like unlock the first iphone, or break into the infamous fortress that was the PS3, and all this while being under 20 years old, and yet, no where will you ever find a watermark on anything he ever did. Was his motive recognition? or helping the greater good? One thing is for sure, those that are interested in the field don't need to see a signature to know that its the work of Geohot, and meanwhile, most of the rest don't even know that a child allowed them to do this, and probably dont even care.

Originally Posted by csmeance
I'll dig up my old pc and still see if I have any of the files provided by another member that was pissed that Angry Dad put in the AD, this one has the AD removed.
Maybe i'll try to see if I can get a hex editor to replace the ad by something else
Old 10-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Just like when Jimmy Lovine started Interprobe Records!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:26 AM
Racer

Bumping the thread so the guy that just sent me email finds it easier
Old 11-18-2015, 04:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just tried it last night and with the video it was a breeze to get it hacked. Thanks Pat
Old 11-18-2015, 08:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tommastie
Just tried it last night and with the video it was a breeze to get it hacked. Thanks Pat
I'm glad my reconstructive work helped! Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi ya

I'm glad my reconstructive work helped! Enjoy!
Thank you for what you done here on this post.

Question for you I have a 2005 TL and was considering getting the update to the latest. Have you done that, and how was it?

Thanks Anthony
Old 11-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by petroboy37ent
Thank you for what you done here on this post.

Question for you I have a 2005 TL and was considering getting the update to the latest. Have you done that, and how was it?

Thanks Anthony
I have not. Paying 100$+ for something that's free and much better on any mobile device is so 2005. I dont use the navi much anyway plus you'll lose the hack if you upgrade your dvd. I am considering replacing the navi by either a nexus 7 or a pioneer android auto system
Old 11-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Intermediate

i hear ya on that with both points. I wish they had tablet that was good with high and low temperatures (it was 27 f this morning.lol
Old 11-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
You will not lose the hack if you upgrade the navi disk. You will have to re-apply it, though.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

This worked great
Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this hack also allow the rear view camera to be viewed while driving forwards as well?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:50 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tl

I am in a totally bad situation, i have always loved the 3rd gen Acura TLs. I was planning to have this hack but my navigation unit failed on me, does anyone know a way around this?
Thank you PP for resurrecting the hack.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Nguyen
I am in a totally bad situation, i have always loved the 3rd gen Acura TLs. I was planning to have this hack but my navigation unit failed on me, does anyone know a way around this?
Thank you PP for resurrecting the hack.
if your navigation unit failed, you'll need to get it replaced or fixed by alpine before you can do any hacking.

Quick Reply: DIY Navigation Hack: The RESURRECTION thread 2015 on steroids!