DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors

Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm gonna try this tomorrow!!! hopefully it works!!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:14 PM
06 TL auto nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine just went out. I read this whole entire thing. im waitin on the part from ali express. the mechanism , not the whole dvd drive unit. so people understand that the mechanism and the dvd rom drive are not the same thing..
one thing I noticed while tryin the q-tip method( did nothing for me and I removed center screw and plates and all to clean ) , is that, wen disconnecting the battery first, sometimes I will get all controls on the lcd up front. minus nav of course. but then sometimes just the error in box sayin check disk after it tries to load, if I don't reset battery..
another thing for people continuing to have this problem, is to make sure , ur ribbons are connected when replacing the mechanism which someone already said I think, but also, only way I cud get the controls on screen to work, is not turn vehicle all the way on, just to start , but don't crank, u can hear radio, then insert disk.
if this new mechanism doesn't work im just unplugging the whole thing , screen stays black but audio controls still are on top of dash above the nav lcd where u enter in the radio code.
I cant believe they wont do a recall on this. I just checked and there is no such thing from acura.

Last edited by jdaddyac; 08-15-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:32 PM
7th Gear

Nav unit in my 2005 MDX has been intermittently rebooting, downloading for couple of months. Initially cleaning the DVD helped, but no longer. Now it boots up fine and is operational for about 2 mins and screen goes dark, back-light is still on. I removed the unit and shipped to Alpine yesterday so will see in couple of weeks. $358 if they can repair and $50 if they find no problems
Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 PM
06 TL auto nav

I just unplugged the whole thing for now..but now I don't get audio adjustments on screen. so I cannot adjust bass, treble, balance, etc.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:51 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by redup
Nav unit in my 2005 MDX has been intermittently rebooting, downloading for couple of months. Initially cleaning the DVD helped, but no longer. Now it boots up fine and is operational for about 2 mins and screen goes dark, back-light is still on. I removed the unit and shipped to Alpine yesterday so will see in couple of weeks. $358 if they can repair and $50 if they find no problems
2005 MDX Navigation Unit just returned from Alpine repaired. Installed in the MDX and works great. Alpine turned the unit around in 7 business days.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
What parts did they replace/repair?
Old 08-26-2016, 04:10 PM
7th Gear

Defect and Part to Repair 2005 MDX DVD Nav Unit by Alpine

2005 MDX Navigation Unit just returned from Alpine repaired. Installed in the MDX and works great. Alpine turned the unit around in 7 business days.
Alpine service action .....Quote - Component, Electrical Part-Defective, Power Circuit, PWB, Replace PWB, Electrical Component. Parts used to replace were
Part Used --------Description
SU-16250Z01 - BN415AA
81D70571Y01- RMN DVD Mech
Old 08-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Race Director

Hmmm, the DVD mech I can get from AliExpress and replace myself for $175. But I can't find any info on the other part, the SU-16250Z01. Anyone have a clue what that part is?

Kind of a crap shoot, I suppose. Spend $175 and maybe it works or spend $358 for a guaranteed fix....
Old 09-01-2016, 06:24 AM
06 TL auto nav

ok got my mechanism from aliexpress.. first time I plugged it up the disk wud not spin at all, looked like the laser was tryin to move but cudnt. so I said I cudnt have got a dud. I thought about what I did, and when I put the new mechanism in the dvd rom, and plugged up the ribbon, I tightened all screws down. so I took it back out, looked at screws I tightened down, and I looked at the 3 screws in pic circled in RED.. they looked like they had colored glue on them. so I thought maybe these are not suppose to go down all the way, so I loosened them about 6 turns. plugged up and no go. check disk still showed. but the disk is now spinning and spinning spinning. so I tightened back down and unscrewed them 3 turns. plugged up and voila! I have nav back. just thought id share my mistake.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-s1050055.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by jdaddyac
ok got my mechanism from aliexpress.. first time I plugged it up the disk wud not spin at all, looked like the laser was tryin to move but cudnt. so I said I cudnt have got a dud. I thought about what I did, and when I put the new mechanism in the dvd rom, and plugged up the ribbon, I tightened all screws down. so I took it back out, looked at screws I tightened down, and I looked at the 3 screws in pic circled in RED.. they looked like they had colored glue on them. so I thought maybe these are not suppose to go down all the way, so I loosened them about 6 turns. plugged up and no go. check disk still showed. but the disk is now spinning and spinning spinning. so I tightened back down and unscrewed them 3 turns. plugged up and voila! I have nav back. just thought id share my mistake.
That's good news! So just to clarify, what part did you buy?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:01 AM
06 TL auto nav

on aliepxress, I typed in search "DV36T02C". as from this thread I new that was the one I needed for my 06 TL.. I picked dhl for better tracking purposes. but it did take about 2 weeks to get here. the one they sent says DV36T02B but looks exactly like my DV36T02C I pulled out of my car. Heres the one I got https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DVD-...08.0.54.2Gmb7C

Old 09-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Race Director

on aliepxress, I typed in search "DV36T02C". as from this thread I new that was the one I needed for my 06 TL.. I picked dhl for better tracking purposes. but it did take about 2 weeks to get here. the one they sent says DV36T02B but looks exactly like my DV36T02C I pulled out of my car. Heres the one I got https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DVD-...08.0.54.2Gmb7C
OK, thanks, that's what I thought. Ordered, fingers crossed
Old 09-02-2016, 08:05 AM
06 TL auto nav

fan

replaced the fan to while I was at this.. heres one I got below. I had to use shorter screws as the width is thinner, but I did not have to change out the connector. the connector is same one on the one removed from our dvd rom.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Race Director

Was your fan dead or were you just being proactive?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:44 PM
06 TL auto nav

a

it was dead. I figured it wud work without it. but figured it would work longer with a working one.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drjoe
sounds like you need to replace the unit. i still have one for sale in the classifieds if i can find it...

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...36t02c-923073/
drjoe...do you still have this drive for sale? If so I am interested in it.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Received 996 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by kxcrazy
drjoe...do you still have this drive for sale? If so I am interested in it.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forums. The drive was sold in November 2014.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...36t02c-920617/
Old 09-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ron A
Welcome to the forums. The drive was sold in November 2014.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...36t02c-920617/
He sold it on Ebay and then it got returned. He then relisted it in the BM via a subsequent thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...36t02c-923073/

He might still have it. You can try to PM him. He hasn't been on for about 45 days, but a PM should trigger an email to him. Good luck.

If not, the part is ~$150 w/ shipping from AliExpress.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:33 AM
3rd Gear

OK so I pulled the unit out again, removed the cover and placed back in the MDX.

When the car is started the disc will spin up, i have verified the laser moves from the last known position so I am thinking the laser itself is most likely faulty?

The symptoms started out as a black screen every so often that repeated attempts to start the car would usually clear to now where it states please wait downloading software followed by please check disc.

The MDX is a 2006 however the drive mechanism inside is a DV33M01B so at least replacement will be inexpensive.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Race Director

Just the laser unit is sold on Aliexpress as well...
Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought just the laser part from ali express (its a pretty difficult swap if you're not comfortable with soldering electronics)

but it didnt seem to help...

My drive issues may not be related to the laser after all.
I've never had disc read errors before it just stopped working one day and never worked after that.

Both before the laser replacement and after - my drive spins up then stops right after - doesn't seem to even try to read so it may be something other than the laser

Last edited by JustinZ; 09-05-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:01 AM
06 TL auto nav

mine spun up then stopped also.. I replaced the whole mechanism and it fixed it. its maybe the motors in them goin bad from too much humidity.whatever causes the laser to move back and forth(heat does kill electronics.) its un reasonably humid last 2 summers where I live. mine went out this summer. I did think about takin chance on just the laser. but then id have to wait another 2 to 3 weeks to get the mechanism and pay an additional 150 if it didn't work ..
Old 09-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
mine spun up then stopped also.. I replaced the whole mechanism and it fixed it. its maybe the motors in them goin bad from too much humidity.whatever causes the laser to move back and forth(heat does kill electronics.) its un reasonably humid last 2 summers where I live. mine went out this summer. I did think about takin chance on just the laser. but then id have to wait another 2 to 3 weeks to get the mechanism and pay an additional 150 if it didn't work ..
Where did you send your unit or Where did you get the replacement? 150 is cheap compared to 350+
Old 09-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

I had this issue too, though I didn't see the check disk, until now. When it worked I would see some functionality was missing from the menu, such as MPG (trip computer). I never bothered to clean it, though a few weeks ago, I got a solid "check disk". As I have a 2005 MDX you seen to have the exact same issue as I do. I see they replaced the assembly, though as the other person said I can't find the other part that you listed out of the two. I never have attempted to clean the DVD, though I might take out the disk and hit with some compressed air. If that doesn't work it, I will attempt to clean it. It seems like people have different symptoms, which is the problem. We are trying to fix it, with people have varying symptoms. I will test mine when I get home.

Did you or anyone else have loss of certain features, like the MPG/trip computer calculator, prior to the issue occurring and if so has the functionality been restored?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM
06 TL auto nav

see post 371, I got the whole mechanism so I cud be done with it and it would last me a lot longer.. also when mine spun up at start before I would get the disk check error, I noticed the laser would be a different points when it would stop.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Cruisin'

see post 371, I got the whole mechanism so I cud be done with it and it would last me a lot longer.. also when mine spun up at start before I would get the disk check error, I noticed the laser would be a different points when it would stop.
When I opened up mine I saw that I need this one (dv33m01b): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alpi...2-fb4c69a7013a

What I tried:
Spray with compressd air (didn't work)
cleaned eye (didn't work)

My symptoms are is I put the disc in and it says that it is trying to download, then after a few seconds it prompts me to check the disk. Granted it is only about $50 to replace this part, I don't want to do it, unless I am sure it has a chance of working.

I checked the disk and it is fine. I plugged the drive in w/o the top on and when I insert the disc, the disc starts spinning. If I move the laser, it will move back. I am usure if the problem is the assembly or something else. Some people mentioned they had their main board replaced and others reported the replacement of the assembly didn't work. Though many report cleaning or replacing assembly worked. Until I get a better idea of the patterns of the symptoms, it is hard to diagnose. For a 2005, I feel it would be very difficult to drop $350 to fix the DVD player, I want to replace the vehicle within a year.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:21 PM
06 TL auto nav

alpine is prolly goin to replace the mechanism as that will usually take care of the problem. so if u cleaned eye and that didn't work, then its prolly the mechanism. its not likely to be the motherboard, as it takes a long long time for solder to crack. u wud just have to narrow down what u think urs is having trouble with then take a chance doing trial and error. and ur mdx part number will prolly be different from a TL.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Cruisin'

I hate the idea of trying to solve multiple problems with multiple solutions w/ very little details of the diagnostics. I looked at all 10 pages...again and did some calculating on a spreadsheet.

8 People who replaced assembly themselves
1 Worked for a while (jackas)
2 Did not work at all and they sent it into Alpine (blgli, armus)

My symptoms are exclusively:
1) Downloading
2) check disk

Sorting the data I could get from users, their problems, and their solutions I found this:
5 users had the same issues I did that replaced their
4/5 (80%) success rate on replacement (armus)
1 user later had issues arise again, so that could reduce it down to 60% success rate. (jackas)

As people didn't list what their actual symptoms were and didn't list how they fixed it and this is just a forum, it is hard to add other information. We did see one user send their drive into Alpine and had issues later on.

While I could have a 60-80% success rate, I am still worried I might have other issues with my system and the current problem is masking the previous. It could do the following:
1) Not work at all
2) Fix everything that was a problem
3) Fix the downloading/check disk issue, but I might still have issues with loss of features, rebooting, and other glitches.

I called Alpine they still want ~$350 to fix the system. I will order the parts off alibaba and give it a try. If that doesn't work I will take it apart and see if I can see any problematic solder points. The large capacitors looked fine, when I looked.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:17 PM
06 TL auto nav

If I were u,i wud just try the mechanism first, if that doesn't fix it just send to alpine and resell the mechanism on here to someone or on fleabay.. so ur not out any money.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear

OK so I pulled the unit out again, removed the cover and placed back in the MDX.

When the car is started the disc will spin up, i have verified the laser moves from the last known position so I am thinking the laser itself is most likely faulty?

The symptoms started out as a black screen every so often that repeated attempts to start the car would usually clear to now where it states please wait downloading software followed by please check disc.

The MDX is a 2006 however the drive mechanism inside is a DV33M01B so at least replacement will be inexpensive.
Well I received the mechanism but it did not fix the issue so I guess it will be going to alpine for repair once I have the money to spend on it. A bummer as I was hoping that this would correct it.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 AM
Race Director

Well I received the mechanism but it did not fix the issue so I guess it will be going to alpine for repair once I have the money to spend on it. A bummer as I was hoping that this would correct it.
Well, that sucks. I'm still waiting on my unit to arrive from aliexpress... Keeping my fingers crossed....
Old 09-13-2016, 05:36 PM
06 TL auto nav

u can file a claim in aliexpress. but u have to take a full video or u will be denied. u have to show urself hookin it up then go to screen and sho where it still says check disk. but remember this is a TL thread not an mdx thread. i don't know the differences in the mdx vs TL.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:52 PM
Race Director

FYI, it's been unseasonably cold here (40-60F) the last 3 days and my navi worked flawlessly for 3 separate road trips of ~2 hours each. Maybe I just have a fan issue?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:53 AM
Cruisin'

Bah, that sucks! My symptoms seemed very similar to yours, so I fear that we might have the same problem. I ordered my drive assembly replacement last week, so who knows it might work. There might be another failure prone component in the drive. Some said their fan wasn't working. While I have seen plenty of fans have failed, I can not say for sure if the fan failed, or if the fan only runs when needed. A good way to test it is try to manually spin the fan to see if that helps or if there is a connector for the fan, unplug it and see if their is any voltage going to the fan. If there is no voltage, then it wasn't set to be turned on.

Others said cold weather have a good effect on the system, I haven't gathered any data or recall off hand how the system handles in cold vs hot weather.

If I am in the same scenario as you, I will completely take it apart, look for any faulty solder connections, or any failed capacitors.

The weakest link is always the most common to fail first, if we can eliminate as many possibilities, we can get closer to fixing the issue. Getting parts for the assembly is great, if we could also figure out what the other parts are. At least we can cross reference the parts in my drive against this forum.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Lazer187
Just a update, i ordered my part from Aliexpress and it actually came from China to my doorstep in 3 days!!!! i couldn't believe it. I installed the part DV36m110 and it has been working flawlessly since.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...hText=DV36M110

AT Aliexpress.com search on DV36M110
Old 09-24-2016, 11:06 PM
3rd Gear

DREWK2:

Did you have to insert an sort of NAVI CODE to get this replacement unit working? ANythign like that?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

After waiting close to a month for the darn thing to get to me, I found out they shipped it to the wrong location. Luckily I got a refund, I was about to order another one from someone else, though I found a whole working NAV DVD drive on ebay for $125. For $50 more I should have a working system, if not I will have to pay the return shipping. Looks like the car was totaled and they are also selling the head unit, where they had a picture of the NAV system booting up. With the PWD boards and other people that had issues, I thought it was worth a shot, better yet, I don't have to wait another month!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

It worked!

Hi, just wanted to tell everyone that taking apart the DVD/nav. Player and cleaning the lens with alcohol and a Q-tip worked for me. I was getting disc read error message daily randomly and didn't want to pay 360 to send it in. So thanks to this blog for giving me the confidence to take it apart! It only took 30min.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:06 AM
3rd Gear

Hi Sutitan

I am also facing same issue Disc Read Error. My Navigation was not working and after that I replaced battery and everything stopped working (touch screen which has AC/Heater/Audio) control. I have 2005 Honda Accord EX. May I know what parts I need to buy from AirExpress? I guess whatever you mentioned is for Accrua. I will also try your suggestion to fix DVD lens but if it doesn't work than I have to go for new DVM mechanism.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Bah, I got the new drive off ebay for a steal of $125 for an ebay junk yard. I have a lot more functionality, though when I got the box that was labeled with fragile, it looks like it took a hell of a drop. The DVD door was open and the bar was got moved so it blocked the drive door. I start using the NAV system, then after a few minutes I get a different error: "DVD reading error, please consult your dealer". The CD won't eject, until I restart the vehicle. I think a drop might have damaged the drive assembly. Also the drive has a 1 year older DVD in it. I was thinking of testing the my newer DVD, though wasn't sure if that would cause a problem or not.

I don't know what to do, should I try the assembly from my drive to see if that works or should I put a claim against UPS for the damage unit? The pictures from ebay showed the drive door closed and it was removed from the car. They would have had to plug it in to open the door or it would have taken one heck of a drop to open it and to move that bar. Emailed seller over a week ago, they never got back to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors