DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors - Page 12 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors

Old 02-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Miamicarfan View Post
kirkosaurus: When you hit the unit several times with the hammer while in its normal position inside the car trunk, was the car turned on or was the car off? If the car was not on, was the key in the ignition? Did you do this when the unit was getting electricity or when no electricity was going to it?
Car was turned off. I think this just loosened up a sticky laser arm on the DVD player. Still working fine!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by kirkosaurus View Post
I recently bought an '04 TL with that was stuck on the nav screen startup. I tried cleaning the laser lens but to no avail. I was about to ship my unit to Alpine when I discovered a solution.
The Big Orange Hammer. That's right. I decided to smack the crap out of the unit several times with a dead blow hammer while it sat in its normal position in the trunk.
Whadya know, it worked. And it's been working fine for a few days now.
Thanks. Worked for me. I bought a 04 TL last summer. Previous owner said nav stopped working couple of years ago. Tried cleaning the lens right after I bought it but no luck. I have a rubber mallet so figured why not try. I did it with the key turned on. Wacked the drive a few times and nothing. Went back and hit it kinda hard a few more times. Harder than I would have felt comfortable doing if not already broken. Checked and it was loading. Asked for the navi code which I had in glove box and it booted up. Been good for a week now
Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Registered Member
where can i get a replacement Navi CD for an 05 Acura TL? im getting an CD error
Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Thumbs up Thank you so much!

I have a 2004 TL that I bought brand new. 237k miles now and still enjoying it. The Navigation system started displaying disk read errors about 2 years ago, but I just figured in the days of Google Maps and Waze that it wasn't worth trying to get it fixed. Then I replaced my battery yesterday and got the dreaded "Disc read error" that everyone else has described, rendering my screen completely useless. No more visibility to radio stations, settings, clock, etc. Not wanting to drive a car with no access to the screen, I went to the dealer to see if they could reset my system. They told me for them to fix it would be $2,500 - $3,000 (about the book value of the car!) or that if I could get the unit removed from the trunk that I could send it out to Alpine for about $400 and wait two months.

THANK GOD I FOUND THIS POST! I researched all over the internet looking for DIY solutions. This one seemed to get the most consistent positive comments. I took a chance and followed the instructions. The hardest part was getting the trim loose in the trunk and figuring out how to get all of the plugs out of the back of the DVD unit. Your instructions were EXCELLENT. Just the information required and very easy to understand. When I finally got access to the laser, I was reluctant that cleaning it would make a difference since it seemed to sparkle brilliantly. I went thru it all and reassembled and voila, it reloaded and is now working as good as new! I have full navigation capability now, after having it broken for the past 2 years.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Smile Navi Disc(s) available

Edit by Administrator Ron A:

Your post has been edited since you have not yet met the minimum requirements for posting items for sale or trade, and because you posted it in the wrong forum.

Please read the notice you see when you log in and THE BLACK MARKET RULES for more information. When you have met the requirements you may resubmit your post.

Please do not post this information again until you are qualified.

Sorry to have to say this under these circumstances, but welcome to the forum.

All sale, trade, and want to buy threads or posts must be posted in the appropriate BLACK MARKET FORUM.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM
Registered Member
I did this fix on my 2006 TL with great success buying the new dvd from Ali Express. My buddy(his wife's car) has a 2007 Accord which is doing the same thing showing "disc error". Does anyone know if this unit is interchangeable with the the accord? Or does is carry a different part number? Internet searches is not showing anything. Any suggestions?? Thanks.