DISABLE STOCK SUB?? ++ 800 RMS=8gauge wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DISABLE STOCK SUB?? ++ 800 RMS=8gauge wiring??

Well i have 2 questions.. first of all what is the easiest and fastest way to disable the stock shitty sub.. without pushing "off" on the desk i think my LOC is hooked up to the sub =[ so that wont really work.

My other question.. my car is already prewired with 8gauge wiring. I just got 2 kicker comp VR 12's with amp... both are 800RMS (sub and amp) WIll 8 gauge wiring be fine with a 60, or 80a fuse? I bought a 4 gauge wiring kit but i dont really wanna hassle with hooking it up all.. thanx!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
you could unplug the stock sub wires. Or do you mean disable it from the Head Unit. BTW, for those reading his post, I think he meant deck, not desk.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Instructor

yes deck.. like i said i think my Line out converter is hooked to the sub so i cant disable it from the headunit i guess i gotta find a wire to cut i didnt wanan start ripping stuff apart though..

my main concern is the wiring size
Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
unless you're doing a whole new amp + enclosed sub setup in your trunk, dont disable your sub for a open air sub. As soon as i get back to MO i'm gonna ask for it to be hooked up again,

sure disconnecting the sub might fix a rattle or two, but you lose quite a bit of low-mid range sounds and you lose the acoustic setup that the TL originally had.

I have a basslink, and my plan is to just have it powered a bit lower, and it should achieve my goals.

because the stock sub address mid-highs, and the med-low tones pretty well. What it doesn't handle well is actually bass, which i'm attempting to rectify through adding a basslink system (which hits the very low + bass tones VERY VERY well)
Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 PM

and yea 8 gauge wire is fine
Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Instructor

all i wanted to know.. my stock sub sounds like shit.. its meant for bass.. the 2 12'' kickers willovercome the bass from that thing without a problem.. the basslink is a lil weak for what im looking for it sounds almost like a stock sub should
Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 AM

haha, the days of me having full blown bass is long gone...LOL (eventho we're the same age )

but yea, i needed my trunk space..lol, when you're done with everything post pics so we can see the setup!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Instructor

i thought the same i had the exact same setup.. but then a year went by and i hear my friends and i miss it sometimes =[...lol this site says i need atleast 4gauge.. =[
how the hell do i get the back seat out to run the wire? i cannot figure out hot to ge the wire passed the back seat and get the old one out i tried to follow it no luck
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
OK, let me clarify, disconnect the wires going to the factory subwoofer in the rear deck. Take those wires, and hook them up to your LINE OUT CONVERTER. They should already be hooked up to the sub wires.

TO remove the back seats, look in the 3G garage, there is full service manual scans on how to do this.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:21 PM
B A N N E D

8 ga wire for 2 12" subs? You're out of your mind. AT LEAST upgrade to 4 ga
Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

For 60 or 80 A! YOu better be using at least 4 ga wire! Possibly even 2 ga. I have a master's in Electrical Engineering and worked at a car audio shop to put myself through college and I'm telling you to upgrade to at least 4 ga. Using too small of wire will starve your amp. Wire has resistance in it. THe smaller the wire the more resistance because there is less surface area to carry the current. Power loss due to heating is current squared times resistance (P=I^2*R). This power loss is also less power that gets to your amp. For that big of an amp you may also want to consider a capacitor. If you look on an amps spec sheet you will see that the power ratings are for typically 14.4V.

FYI

A capacitor is used to maintain your voltage. As your system is pounding, you are pulling power from you battery, the battery will discharge and the voltage will drop slightly maybe down to 12.5V. IF the amp doesn't see the 14.4V it is rated at, the power output also drops. For example, say an amp does 1000 watts at 14.4V. Then after you have played your systme hard for like ten to fifteen mintues, the voltage on the battery drops to 12.5V, your output may drop to 800 Watts instead of the 1000W. A capactior will help keep that voltage where it needs to be and keep you outputing as much as the amp can. A typical capacitor for 60 to 80A amp would be around 1 farad.

Hope this helps. Any other questions feel free to ask and good luck.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Ive heard nothing but shit about capacitors..
but i do have a new one just sitting here... is it bad to mount a capacitor to the sub box ? also can you use the same ground as the amp?

Lastly ive heard you use around one farad per 1000watts.. i guess if thats 1000rms i would be fine if not it looks like my 1 farad may be too small ??

i want to get a yellow top soon tho..
for the wiring i did 4gauge yesterday :-D
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JCL622
unless you're doing a whole new amp + enclosed sub setup in your trunk, dont disable your sub for a open air sub. As soon as i get back to MO i'm gonna ask for it to be hooked up again,

sure disconnecting the sub might fix a rattle or two, but you lose quite a bit of low-mid range sounds and you lose the acoustic setup that the TL originally had.

I have a basslink, and my plan is to just have it powered a bit lower, and it should achieve my goals.

because the stock sub address mid-highs, and the med-low tones pretty well. What it doesn't handle well is actually bass, which i'm attempting to rectify through adding a basslink system (which hits the very low + bass tones VERY VERY well)
I'm interested to hear more about your "basslink" solution. I've always had a system in my car, and going to this TL Type S stock system pretty much sux. I went to the dealer and they said i had a short which is why i had no bass. I just got back from having the amp replaced, and it still sux. What does the basslink do and where do you get it? I dont want to go thru the hassle of replacing my whole system again, so if this is quicker and easier, i'm game. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by x rsx 2 env x
Ive heard nothing but shit about capacitors..
but i do have a new one just sitting here... is it bad to mount a capacitor to the sub box ? also can you use the same ground as the amp?

Lastly ive heard you use around one farad per 1000watts.. i guess if thats 1000rms i would be fine if not it looks like my 1 farad may be too small ??

i want to get a yellow top soon tho..
for the wiring i did 4gauge yesterday :-D

Well FYI, if capacitors are shit then why do almost every person who competes professionally use them? Caps store energy and you put them as close the amp as possible so the energy is readily available when the amp calls for it. I don't mount the cap to the box, because that puts holes in your box and could cause air leaks and ruin your sub. Use a seperate ground from the amp if possible. Yes, a rule of thumb is 1 farad for 1000Watts. Yellow top is definitely a good idea. Hope this helps.