Carputer v.2 and hardwired radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012 | 10:11 PM
Instructor

Carputer v.2 and hardwired radar detector

So I've been posting a few things up but never actually got around to creating an account to host some pics. I hope it works.

Basically I destroyed one liliput touchscreen before making this work, but its come out nice. I did have a set up going through factory touchscreen unit the screen cracked. I was pretty tired of squinting to see small print anyways. The computer itself I bought new off Ebay I would highly recommend Mobile Computing Solutions. I got a good deal on a dual core AMD something with 8 gigs of ram, and just added a SSD to help with boot up times (no hibernation for me) I'm down to 43 seconds, (from 2.5 min with HDD).

I finally ditched the pirated copy of windows so now I can choose wallpapers and they will stay. If anyone has a link to a hi-def red acura symbol or something let me know.

Centrafuse. The screen is aftermarket. Liliput 8" (obviously) image quality is amazing but you cant tell from the pics. I acutally have an HDMI connection between touchcreen and computer.

I really love the fullscreen visualizations. Looks just as good with the type s lighting as it did with the awesome base blue and whites.

On screen keyboard for searching through 4000+ songs

Centrafuse Nav... works way worse than stock navi but looks way better. They are releasing a whole new nav engine for centrafuse hopefully it'll look better and run better than stock.

RADAR DETECTOR... I believe its a Whistler Pro 3650. I dont have the speaker hooked up b/c I know from experience that shit gets annoying set off from every store with a security system. I keep it on the really sensitive highway mode because I shouldn't speed at all. I got a gps reciever with it, appearently it will tell you when your coming up on a red light camera, haven't been on any out of state road trips so I don't know how well it works.

Its a little dark but this is the bottom center of the front bumper. This is the sensor unit, it picks up both radar and lasar.

This is the main controller. Turns power off, silence, and signal strength and type. Best part is any pesky state troopers will never see it if I close the door on the pocket.

And if you are riding with the above said pocket closed. This awesome LED will flash red when radar or lasar is detected. I'm very happy how its turned out. Very clean and stock looking. (I couldn't get it on the other side of the clock housing... no flat place to mount LED flush)

In case anyone was wondering where the computer was. Almost done with the sound deadening and waiting for my custom enclosure in the mail. The 15" type R wouldn't quite go under the hump in the back of the trunk so my dreams of removing ski port and firing into cabin are done. We will see how a single 10" W6 holds up.
Old 05-07-2012 | 01:14 AM
Instructor

Wow looks awesome!! If you don't mind, how much was it to set all this up?
Old 05-07-2012 | 04:45 AM
Instructor

carputer on ebay $380
120GB SSD $140
Liliput touchscreen $240
cables, wires, gps, software (including windows) was probably around $500
I took the better part of 6 days... Fitting the stock boards behind the touchscreen for AC controls and such was pretty hard and I had to cut some of the hard plastic behind the dash to get everything to fit.

The radar detector was around 300 I think but I had enough amazon points I got it for free. Took about an hr to install as you see it without putting the gps antenna in. I put it next to computer and stock gps recievers on the rear shelf.

The audio part was probably around 3k but it was pieced together over years.
Old 05-07-2012 | 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Looks good! What did you do with the factory display assembly?

I tried so hard to use the factory display but the image quality was terrible. So I ditched everything.
Old 05-08-2012 | 12:29 PM
Instructor

Sorry I dont have any pics of the plastic bracket things in the dash I had to cut because the wires for the new screen are so thick and connect to the side of the monitor.... it was a HUGE PITA.

Suprising enough this setup hasn't resulted in any rattles or problems so far and its been about 6 months.

I will take more detailed pics and hopefully write up something ppl can follow if they are looking to do a similar set up, whenever i feel the need to get a headache again lol.
Old 05-09-2012 | 07:19 AM
Safety Car

It's too late for you now but what I did was totally dismantle the new LCD and relocated the boards inside the original case. That allowed me to bring the LCD wires out the center. You must have really had to hack up the inside of your dash is that ear is sticking out that far. I should have dropped the thought of switching between the stock and computer systems but instead gave up totally.

Also too late but you know those ferrite beads that made you move that ear is movable? It could have been relocated a bit further down and saved you a ton of work.

If it works and there's no rattles, that's great. I wouldn't have the balls to cut into the dash like that though. And I have done a lot of stuff to my TL!

Still a nice outcome either way.

Last edited by KN_TL; 05-09-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2012 | 09:15 AM
Balling in the...

Wow Beautiful Never thought a Carputer can look so Clean in the TL. Oh I found a nice white Acura logo with red background but its not HiDef... I could make it a Vector with Vectormagic and then make it bigger if you would like...

Heres the Picture
Old 05-10-2012 | 04:20 PM
Instructor

What's a vector?
Old 05-14-2012 | 01:32 PM
Balling in the...

Vector in simple terms is an Image that can be re-sized without distortion. Raster Images get distorted when you enlarge them and you get pixelation which sucks.
Old 10-10-2012 | 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jammerchell
Large amounts of people want to find and possess the gold nugget, but it i sreally hard if you don't use a tool to hep you find such kind of precious metal as they are always buried underground and it is hard for you to know where they are and how deep you should dig. And that is the main reason that why the metal detector for gold was invented and have help people a lot in hunting for gold nugget, and it seems the gold metal detector is realy an reliable device.
great info, thanks a lot.... ban
Old 10-10-2012 | 07:22 AM

^what the fuck is this spam!?
RON A, HANDLE YOUR SHIT
Old 10-10-2012 | 07:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Turbocoop
great info, thanks a lot.... ban
Originally Posted by justnspace
^what the fuck is this spam!?
RON A, HANDLE YOUR SHIT
Deleted and banned.