Blown Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 05:16 PM
LDJ
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Speaker

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I put in a CD and I started hearing sound like two pieces of ply wood were knocking togethers.Then the sound coming from the back goes out, comes back in but I hear cracking. So I take it to a dealer and drop it off at 10 in the morning only to call back at 4 to hear, we can't find anything wrong. I get there and they have talk radio on, so I put in some music and the sales man says that does sound terrible. So he calls the sevice man, tells him to get into the car and he replies. O.K. I hear it, that doesn't sound good. So they tell me to come back the following week because they need to order a speaker and since it's late friday they will not be able to get the speaker until wednesday. Now listining to this blown out speaker gave me a headache, so I had to drive around singing to myself. Which gave my passengers problems. A new speaker was finally installed but something is still not right. I don't hear the noise anymore but I still get headache when I listen to my music for more than ten minutes. I have tried turning everything down to -6 and my headaches goes away but the music sound terrible. One of the reasons that I bought the car was for the sound system. I keep the volume in the range of 25 to 30, so I don't know how the speaker blew out to begin with.

Peace
Old 10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

That's weird, take it back, i haven't heard of this one yet. G'luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Instructor

At that volume it's possible for a very high level low frequency signal to clip the amp and blow a speaker. It could of course be either a defective speaker or bad amp. Generally speakers get blown when an amp has too little power.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree it is either a bad speaker or the amp is defective. I also agree that too little power can do it - another way is if the amp is oscillating, due to RF, or a defective resistor, leaky cap, etc. It needs to be checked out by a car stereo expert, not just a tech slapping in parts. But a speaker that keeps going bad is seeing something from the ampo it does not like. Amps usually have an L/C network in the output stage - the inductor acts as a low-pass filter, keeping RF out of the feedback loop. The C (capacitor) blocks DC, which will damage the voice coil of the speaker. Amps also usually have a cap in series with the input, to block DC there as well - some use a low-pass filter to reject RF at the input.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got an email from my wife yesterday saying that Tonya Lee (my 04 TL) had a blown speaker! She described a differant sound and i didnt that that the system they have in the car would blow out speakers since they were put in there for that system. since im still here in the gulf i cant exactly listen to it.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Registered TL Lover

I got an email from my wife yesterday saying that Tonya Lee (my 04 TL) had a blown speaker! She described a differant sound and i didnt think that the system they have in the car would blow out speakers since they were put in there for that system. Since im still here in the gulf i cant exactly listen to it.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
I got an email from my wife yesterday saying that Tonya Lee (my 04 TL) had a blown speaker! She described a differant sound and i didnt think that the system they have in the car would blow out speakers since they were put in there for that system. Since im still here in the gulf i cant exactly listen to it.
Of course they can be blown - read what grudax posted. When an amp clips, the power supply is essentially connected to the speaker's voice coil - heat build up is intense. You did not specify which speaker - door B/M (bass/midrange), or door T (tweeter)? Clipping produces lots of harmonics, and while it is the bass demand that causes the amp to clip, its gain remains steady, which means all the high harmonics continue to be fed to the tweeter. Not good for its longevity, unless they employed a high-pass filter with a steep pole to minimize the transfer of energy to the T.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Registered TL Lover

Now that im back the blown speaker mysteriously fixed itself as soon as i got in the car my wife swears that it was messed up....
Old 01-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Registered TL Lover

now my speaker is blown for real It started rattling bad and then quit all together. I got an appointment to get her fixed tomarrow