Better sound by not using stock amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I get better sound if I bypass the stock amp and connect the head unit directly to an aftermarket amp? Or would the signal I get from stock amp be too weak to provide good sound to the aftermarket amp? im going to be using an eclipse ea4200 amp and polks db651s & db5251.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The amplifier you have chosen pairs well with the selected speakers, It wouldnt hurt to have a more powerful amp and keep the gains down, rather than something that matches rms output and is turned up all the way to push the drivers. The equipment so far is fine, may I ask your reason for those choices? Also what do you plan on doing for your center channel and subwoofer?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Instructor

I went to crutchfield to find what speakers would fit on my car and several options came up but I didn't like the other brands like pioneer or sony and jl were a little too expensive. However, I think I rushed my system a little bit so I would like to know if you recommend any other speakers. I want good sound quality not so much to have a mobile disco in my car. Do you suggest I bypass the stock amp or keep it and convert the lines from high to low?
Center is going to be powered by the stock amp, no plans yet and as for the sub I already have an amp and sub with a box.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by princelybug

Do I need a signal booster or can I connect it directly from the head unit to the aftermarket amp? The guy at crutchfield told me that the voltage coming from head unit would be too low to give me good sound.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Instructor

If I may ask what is it exactly that you want to achieve?
What is your reason for swapping the factory speakers?
are you after better clarity , sound quality or is the stock system not ud enough
what type of music do you listen to?
what do you dislike most about the current system.
at what volume do you listen currently most of the time and where are youre current eq settings. Now finally , what is your budget for mids/highs and amp to power them. Dont be shy to state a number some people want to spend 60$ while others 60000 does not matter, give me something to work with and I will see if I can come up with the best solution for your application, if you dont give me a correct number my reasearch time and advice will not be useful to you.
Let me know and well take it from there, we are so lucky do be in a day and age where there are so many knowledgeable people and forums with acess to the net that are willing to help, if you have any other questions please just ask ill be sure to get back to you at my earliest convinience as im sure many of the other members will be
talk to you soon
Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLMAK
If I may ask what is it exactly that you want to achieve?
What is your reason for swapping the factory speakers?
are you after better clarity , sound quality or is the stock system not ud enough
what type of music do you listen to?
what do you dislike most about the current system.
at what volume do you listen currently most of the time and where are youre current eq settings. Now finally , what is your budget for mids/highs and amp to power them. Dont be shy to state a number some people want to spend 60$ while others 60000 does not matter, give me something to work with and I will see if I can come up with the best solution for your application, if you dont give me a correct number my reasearch time and advice will not be useful to you.
Let me know and well take it from there, we are so lucky do be in a day and age where there are so many knowledgeable people and forums with acess to the net that are willing to help, if you have any other questions please just ask ill be sure to get back to you at my earliest convinience as im sure many of the other members will be
talk to you soon
I want better clarity, sound quality and a little more loudness. The eq values are all flat in the head unit but thats because I control the subwoofer amp with the remote; it's a little high. The volume is usually low but thats because I get music fatigue after listening to the stock radio for a little while . I listen to balads, spanish rock and english as well, reggaeton, hip hop, bachata, and merengue, probably jazz later because Im getting into it now . My budget is $500 for the 4 speakers, crossover, amp and a line in driver to increase the voltage from the head unit to the amps. I could stretch it a little but I would like to stay within budget, classes are starting and I need money for books.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Instructor

no line in driver, the amp I bought has to increase the voltage
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Ok so before I go on you mention "The eq values are all flat in the head unit but thats because I control the subwoofer amp with the remote; it's a little high" Can you please
clarify the part about the eq levels being flat because you control the subwoofer amp with the remote?? Do you have a seperate amplifier for your sub a aftermarket sub??

Next basically you listen to a vast selection of music, which requires quite a versatile speaker set up. You are also after SQ and Loudness, maybe the level of what you call SQ differs from mine or others, however generaly speaking to be honest it is difficult to achieve what you desire within $500, you may get a set up that will suffice for you especially in comparison to stock and that will be great, I suggest you deffinetly demo any amp and speakers you plan on purchasing prior to taking the dive, to save you dissapointment or to reassure youre great investment whichever you choose to do, I personally would hold off on the purchase of the speakers and purchase a much more powerful amp 5.1 to power all stock componenets, youll be surprised what a little extra juice could do for stock speakers, dont worry about too much power you can always adjust the gains and it is better than matching power or less power, also you have that room to grow knowing you have the amp to power much better speakers down the road so start with the amp save a little more and do it like that. That however is my perspective let me know if thats what you want to do, or continue with your plan, i will suggest to you a few speakers within your budget, if thats what youre looking for terrific if not , go with what I said I would do, who knows maybe youll be happy within $500 and im happy for you, however think about it like this, go to some honest installer and tell him you want better SQ, clarity is important and want to be louder , youre looking for speakers LOC and AMP to push for $500 and see what he tells you, than take that same equipment that was suggested and look up the reviews and see if the reviews rave about any of what you are looking for. Dont be down , ypu have to listen for yourself
ive seen $500 spent on car stereo sound better than $1500, I know this sort of contradicts what im saying, but let me add in that its not money alone its the selection of the equipment and install aswell as settings good luck and let me know Id throw in a 5.1 and tweak till I save than replace all speakers and sub later on with some deadening or a 5 channel and worry about the sub and amp later, however think of how clean you can have your install and simple clear clean crisp SQ 1 amp all speakers in stock place including the amp
Take care ttyl
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Sorry about the run on sentences, my daughter woke up and I was trying to finsih quickly.
The following users liked this post:
Humble_SOG (11-09-2020)
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLMAK
Ok so before I go on you mention "The eq values are all flat in the head unit but thats because I control the subwoofer amp with the remote; it's a little high" Can you please
clarify the part about the eq levels being flat because you control the subwoofer amp with the remote?? Do you have a seperate amplifier for your sub a aftermarket sub??

Next basically you listen to a vast selection of music, which requires quite a versatile speaker set up. You are also after SQ and Loudness, maybe the level of what you call SQ differs from mine or others, however generaly speaking to be honest it is difficult to achieve what you desire within $500, you may get a set up that will suffice for you especially in comparison to stock and that will be great, I suggest you deffinetly demo any amp and speakers you plan on purchasing prior to taking the dive, to save you dissapointment or to reassure youre great investment whichever you choose to do, I personally would hold off on the purchase of the speakers and purchase a much more powerful amp 5.1 to power all stock componenets, youll be surprised what a little extra juice could do for stock speakers, dont worry about too much power you can always adjust the gains and it is better than matching power or less power, also you have that room to grow knowing you have the amp to power much better speakers down the road so start with the amp save a little more and do it like that. That however is my perspective let me know if thats what you want to do, or continue with your plan, i will suggest to you a few speakers within your budget, if thats what youre looking for terrific if not , go with what I said I would do, who knows maybe youll be happy within $500 and im happy for you, however think about it like this, go to some honest installer and tell him you want better SQ, clarity is important and want to be louder , youre looking for speakers LOC and AMP to push for $500 and see what he tells you, than take that same equipment that was suggested and look up the reviews and see if the reviews rave about any of what you are looking for. Dont be down , ypu have to listen for yourself
ive seen $500 spent on car stereo sound better than $1500, I know this sort of contradicts what im saying, but let me add in that its not money alone its the selection of the equipment and install aswell as settings good luck and let me know Id throw in a 5.1 and tweak till I save than replace all speakers and sub later on with some deadening or a 5 channel and worry about the sub and amp later, however think of how clean you can have your install and simple clear clean crisp SQ 1 amp all speakers in stock place including the amp
Take care ttyl
I'm going to give the current setup a bought a shot and see how it turns out. If I don't like it then the only thing I'll loose is the return shipping to crutchfield. My W2 should be on its way which I forgot all about so I might increase my entire budget to $1000. In which case I might start going to music stores to listen to various speakers. I'm in no rush, although I rushed the purchase of the sound system, because I normally use the car about 3 days a week for less than 3hrs each day ( talk about a waste of money ).