Amplifier or Not

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amplifier or Not

Would There Be Much Of A Noticeable Sound Difference If Some Type Of Amplifier Were Added Or Installed? The Current System Sounds Great But Something Still Seems To Be Lacking. Would A Amplifier Suffice Or Should The Speakers Be Changed? I'm Looking For A Improvement When Listening To Or Playing Cd's. I'm Sure The Dvd-a Would Also Benefit. Any Recomendations For Any Such Amplifier? How Much Additional Room Would This Take In The Already Limited Trunk Space?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's The Deal With The Mixed Case? Where Did You Learn To Type?

Just the first word and proper nouns should be in caps, man.

BTW - I think the amp is good as is. The speakers are what you should be looking at replacing, IMO.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by waymay1305
Would There Be Much Of A Noticeable Sound Difference If Some Type Of Amplifier Were Added Or Installed? The Current System Sounds Great But Something Still Seems To Be Lacking. Would A Amplifier Suffice Or Should The Speakers Be Changed? I'm Looking For A Improvement When Listening To Or Playing Cd's. I'm Sure The Dvd-a Would Also Benefit. Any Recomendations For Any Such Amplifier? How Much Additional Room Would This Take In The Already Limited Trunk Space?

If your looking to add an amp, you are definetly going to need to change speakers as well. If you just change the amp, your the current speakers will not be able to handle the extra power and could blow!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't been able to locate one amp that will do the job. We have 5 channels plus a sub. Not many amps are more than 4 channels and we really need 6 don't we? Anybody care to comment?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

there's plenty of 5 channel amps our there, but IIRC they are mainly 4 channels plus a higer powered one for a sub.

Then just add a mono amp for the sub, or replace the sub.

I may actually go this route if anymore information is discovered about the ELS stereo and any active EQ or line level pre-outs.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Racer

Amps?

First - The highly touted ELS system is not clear because it is too bass-heavy causing a lack of upper mid-range. To fix this, set the Bass control to -2, and then turn up the volume. Presto! The sound system will be MUCH brighter and clearer.

Second - ALL stock car speakers suck - they cost hardly anything. You can easily upgrade the system by replacing the speakers. I wold start with the sub and the tweeters first. You can get better frequency response and higher efficiency (Louder) by simply changing the drivers.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by automophile
First - The highly touted ELS system is not clear because it is too bass-heavy causing a lack of upper mid-range. To fix this, set the Bass control to -2, and then turn up the volume. Presto! The sound system will be MUCH brighter and clearer.

Second - ALL stock car speakers suck - they cost hardly anything. You can easily upgrade the system by replacing the speakers. I wold start with the sub and the tweeters first. You can get better frequency response and higher efficiency (Louder) by simply changing the drivers.

All stock speakers do not suck!! Look at bose, they are one of the most expensive speakers that ever comes in a stock car!!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Anything from Bose sucks.

Their motto is...

No highs, no lows, Bose.

Anyone who thinks Bose are great has simply fallen for a great marketing campaign. In other words, you are a sucker. Any real audio expert (not me, mind you) will tell you to steer clear of Bose. And, the brilliant part on the Bose marketing is that they get people to pay a premium for a inferior product. If you don't believe me spend some time on the forums at www.audioreview.com. It's primarily populated with sound engineers. Ask them what they think of Bose.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh, I forgot. I guess you think that because Bose are expensive that they must be good. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Do your homework first.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Oh, I forgot. I guess you think that because Bose are expensive that they must be good. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Do your homework first.

No they are expensive for a reason, and well worth it. Look like you dont know what you are talking about, but we all dont sometimes. Bose quality audio can't be beat by anyone, thats just a fact!

The sound quality is amazing, and no matter how much you turn up the volume, those speakers never will blow...totaly amazing quality bose has...

No wonder they got rid of bose on the acuras, that with the michelins...talk about cost savings!!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:07 PM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DopeTL04
The sound quality is amazing, and no matter how much you turn up the volume, those speakers never will blow...totaly amazing quality bose has...
You know a speaker has amazing sound quality when you can turn it up all the way and it doesn't blow.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Team Anthracite Member

No they are expensive for a reason, and well worth it. Look like you dont know what you are talking about, but we all dont sometimes. Bose quality audio can't be beat by anyone, thats just a fact!

No wonder they got rid of bose on the acuras, that with the michelins...talk about cost savings!!
Come on, seriously? Go into any reputable stereo shop and ask to listen to a demo car. then go listen to your Bose system. You will march right bach into that store and beg them to do something to fix your stereo. Second, ask youself the question why don't aftermarket stereo shops sell Bose speakers? If Bose made an amazing speaker, you would be able to find them everywhere, not just in stock rides. For all those people that pay an extra $2K for the upgraded Bose system. Forget it, take your money into a stereo shop and see what they can do for that $2K.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll have to disagree with you there. I've had Bose sound systems in many of my cars over the years and the quality is all over the place. The Bose system in my '96 Maxima was actually decent, my '99 TL was okay but had very little bass, my '02 A6 Bose system was pretty good, and my current '03 QX4 absolutely sucks. :thumbsdn: There is absolutely no clarity. If you check FreshAlloy, you'll also see that is pretty much the same comment from most Infiniti G35 Coupe owners w/ Bose.

There is nothing amazing about Bose. The Mark Levinson system in the Lexus GS and SC430 and the ELS system in the TL put it to shame.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by automophile

ummm, if you really get into this hobby you'll learn that most all drivers are very cheap. You can have 4000 dollar speakers using 30 dollar tweeters.

You pay for the name/mareting, and hopefully a good crossover.

I just simply can't see how replacing the speakers could do anything but harm the system. It is voiced specifically for the car, and we all know the acoustics of the car have the biggest affect on sound than the components themselves.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Bose quality audio can't be beat by anyone, thats just a fact!
Oh yeah, prove it. Tell me the frequency ranges. You can't. Know why? Bose won't publish them. That should be a clue. They intentionally omit certain ranges and enhance others because it "sounds good" to the average idiot. That's fine if you are the average idiot. But, audiophiles are more interested in reproducing the sound the way it was recorded and was meant to be heard. In order to do that you cannot omit certain frequencies. When you buy Bose you are paying for the name and the perception. Not for accurately reproduced sound. That, my friend, is a fact.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Racer

Oh yeah, prove it. Tell me the frequency ranges. You can't. Know why? Bose won't publish them. That should be a clue. They intentionally omit certain ranges and enhance others because it "sounds good" to the average idiot. That's fine if you are the average idiot. But, audiophiles are more interested in reproducing the sound the way it was recorded and was meant to be heard. In order to do that you cannot omit certain frequencies. When you buy Bose you are paying for the name and the perception. Not for accurately reproduced sound. That, my friend, is a fact.

You my friend are lost! Feel bad for you!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Instructor

The Bose speakers in Acuras stink. $4 dirivers. Some cheap Infinitys would be a major upgrade (and a common one in the MDX).

Back in the day, and I mean like back in the 70's, Bose made a totally cool auto audio system. It had 6 or 8 of the 4" drivers they used in the old 901s. That was a different world from what we see now, though.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Racer

Having a Bose system in your vehicle is much more than just a set of components and the bose logo on the speaker grilles. In fact, numerous acoustic considerations are measured and tested before a system is designed specifically for that car. That's because each vehicle presents its own audio design challenges.

The stylish convertible introduces a rush of open air that affects nearly everything you hear. Luxury SUVs have a wide range of cabin acoustics that must be carefully accounted for. Sporty sedans have little room for system components. And these are just a few of the factors considered when custom engineering a sound system for any given vehicle.

Selected Bose automotive systems also work to tame the world outside your car, even when you're stuck in noisy traffic. Outside noise is analyzed and the audio system compensates for it so you don't have to constantly adjust the controls. Bose AudioPilot digital processing circuitry even compensates for open windows. Intricate components are also designed to handle extreme temperature changes.

WHY CAN YOU NOT HEAR YOUR DAMN ELS SYSTEM WHEN WINDOWS ARE OPEN??? ITS CALLED TECHNOLOGY, IF YOU CANT KEEP UP WITH IT, SHUT DA FUCK UP!!! :sqntfawk:

WANNA TALK ABOUT FACTS?? HOLLAR AT THAT!! I am a DJ and own about $10,000 worth of equipment, dont fuck with me and sound systems!!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

You my friend are lost! Feel bad for you!
I didn't want to go there but in all honesty Bose is truly the laughing stock of the audio world.

Seriously, just take a look at any of the actual drivers and they are 30 cent paper cones. As another said, only the ancient 901s were any good. Everything else really is super poor and way overpriced.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

google for bose. you shall see the light.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I am a DJ and own about $10,000 worth of equipment, dont fuck with me and sound systems!!
I don't give a fuck who you are. Bose is crap. If you were a sound engineer I'd listen to you. But, you aren't. Being a DJ doesn't mean shit to me.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Racer

DopeTL04 is an idiot.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Racer

Being a DJ doesn't mean shit to me.

Ya, neither do facts!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spidey07
google for bose. you shall see the light.
Spidey, I see you are in Louisville. Where did you purchase your TL? I had to walk when dealing with Oxmoor and purchased mine from Courtesy in Lexington.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Ya, neither do facts!
You never told me any facts. You are unconvincing at best.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rhizopod
DopeTL04 is an idiot.
The perfect Bose customer.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Racer

You are unconvincing at best.

To an ignorant, clueless fool like you....YES!
:nutkick:
Old 06-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Racer

Touché!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Racer

yea one that can hear his radio when my windows are open....What would this world be without dumb people like you!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Spidey, I see you are in Louisville. Where did you purchase your TL? I had to walk when dealing with Oxmoor and purchased mine from Courtesy in Lexington.
acura at oxmoor. I've known a salesguy there for quite a while. Overall a pleasurable experience.

Although check out my post in ramblings about getting owned by a 25 dollar charge for rotating tires.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Racer

yea one that can hear his radio when my windows are open....What would this world be without dumb people like you!
If this is your only test of fidelity, then obviously you don't know (and don't care to know) anything about true fidelity. Go buy your Bose and be happy. Ignorance is bliss, after all.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:36 PM
6th Gear

Dope, I think you are right. I can't believe the morons in this forum won't just admit that they wasted their money on all sorts of "specialty" audio systems (I know a guy who blew $900 on a pair of front speakers from a company called "dynaudio"... who ever even heard of them?) when only BOSE systems are custom engineered for EACH INDIVIDUAL CAR they are installed in. I have a BOSE system in my car and, like you, I can hear it when the windows are down! AWESOME!!!

Guys, Dope is a DJ with $10,000 worth of equipment. I also have some very expensive equipment. I wish you would just learn to admit when you are wrong. You cannot argue with FACTS. Oh well screw this, I'm going back to listen to my AWESOME BOSE SYSTEM . BYE! :sqntfawk:
Old 06-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

<---kindly ducking outta this thread

I can see what you're trying to do. Guys, don't fall for it...he's pulling your chain.

I can't believe the morons in this forum won't just admit that they wasted their money on all sorts of "specialty" audio systems (I know a guy who blew $900 on a pair of front speakers from a company called "dynaudio"... who ever even heard of them?)
nice one! You had me going there for a while.

But back to the topic at hand...

IMHO the speakers are pretty decent and can benefit from some added power/headroom.

Let's hope more is learned about the stereo from members getting some work done.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Doc, that was classic.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rhizopod
Touché!

I'm outta here too. Enjoy your Bose system if you must.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=spidey07

IMHO the speakers are pretty decent and can benefit from some added power/headroom.

Let's hope more is learned about the stereo from members getting some work done.[/QUOTE]

SOME ADDED POWER/HEADROOM...Its needs a lot more than that....Crapasonic makes the freaking ELS audio system for christ sake. They can hardly make walkmen......when you have your radio at max, and wonder why the fuck it doesnt sound loud, you seem to wonder what the fuck is missing........

On the other hand its not bose or infinity so no surprise....

A lot of people on this forum dont know what quaility is....but BOSE will :shit: on most stock radios. IT CALLED RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY.....LIKE I SAID BEFORE, IF YOUR NOT UP TO DATE WITH TODAYS TECH. SHUT DA FUCK UP!!!!! YOU MAKE YOUSELF LOOK STUPIDER AND STUPIDER DIP SHITs!! Learn you shit and than talk...actually still shut up1! :sqntfawk:
Old 06-08-2004, 02:01 PM
6th Gear

IT CALLED RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY.....LIKE I SAID BEFORE, IF YOUR NOT UP TO DATE WITH TODAYS TECH. SHUT DA FUCK UP!!!!! YOU MAKE YOUSELF LOOK STUPIDER AND STUPIDER DIP SHITs!!
Hear Hear! Better sound through RESEARCH. And that is a FACT!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

hehehee, nice one dope. I get it now so no need to keep pulling our legs.

Actually panasonic has really turned around making some incredible DVD players and plasmas.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned

I am a DJ and own about $10,000 worth of equipment, dont fuck with me and sound systems!!
You're a DJ? So what? The only things DJs worry about it play music loud. Go into any high-end audio store and find Bose on the floor. If they sound good to you, that's great. Buying speakers is all a matter of taste. But Bose lack any low- or high-end. They emphasize the mids.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLover
You're a DJ? So what? The only things DJs worry about it play music loud. Go into any high-end audio store and find Bose on the floor. If they sound good to you, that's great. Buying speakers is all a matter of taste. But Bose lack any low- or high-end. They emphasize the mids.

What you mean so what?? We have to have the right equipment put together (speakers, amp, mixer, crossover, etc) shit you wouldt know, to bring out the right sound, make sure I dont blow my shit, make sure I dont cause a short circuit in the place etc....than again, that is why your not the dj!

Quick Reply: Amplifier or Not