amp and stereo install question ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009 | 11:14 AM
Intermediate

amp and stereo install question ?

looking to upgrade my 08 acura stereo system.

Can you uprade the AMPS and Speakers only without any issues with the Navi etc ???

thanks

and which amps would work best for those that did this..
Old 01-22-2009 | 11:30 AM
Drifting

Yes, you can upgrade the sound system in your TL. Your best bet would be to install an audio processor after the factory amp, so you don't lose any functionality with the factory NAVI or Bluetooth. It will also do a good job of cleaning and prepping the signal coming out of the head unit for amplification. Do a google search for "OEM Integration" and you will find some products.

As far as amps, you're not limited to any type of amp. Use whatever you like best. The only recommendation I would give on this is to use a separate amp for the main stage and sub(s). Search the forum for installs that other members have done. There are tons of them.

Good luck, and take lots of pictures of the process
Old 01-22-2009 | 11:55 AM
Drifting

Are you adding a sub as well or just the speakers?
Old 01-22-2009 | 12:03 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by greco9885
Are you adding a sub as well or just the speakers?
Whether you add one or the other, or both, it's good to get an aftermarket processor. The RF 3SIXTY.2 is highly recommended, but pricey. The JL Audio CleanSweep is good, but is much more affordable.
Old 01-22-2009 | 12:13 PM
Drifting

+1 on the 3Sixty.2... I have it, and I have not been disappointed for one minute.
Old 01-22-2009 | 01:17 PM
Intermediate

i would like to do a sub also, factory base is terrible in this car. im used to high end aftermarket systems in my cars, but this is the 1st car that i want to keep the factory head unit and bluetooth etc and it seems more difficult in the TL to build upon...
Old 01-22-2009 | 01:36 PM
Intermediate

so is the audio processor used only with factory amps? or can i install new amps for more power to speakers without losing my function of navi or bluetooth ??

the 2 problems i have with factory system is it will only go so loud !! im sure an aftermarket amp will fix this or will the processor allow the factory system to turn up louder?? and 2nd the sub does not have enough bass..

any input i appreciate..thanks guys..
Old 01-22-2009 | 03:25 PM
2008 NBP TL

My install thread has a lot of information, and there is a resource list on the second page.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/tech14-complete-audio-installation-643839/
Old 01-22-2009 | 09:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by whit
so is the audio processor used only with factory amps? or can i install new amps for more power to speakers without losing my function of navi or bluetooth ??

the 2 problems i have with factory system is it will only go so loud !! im sure an aftermarket amp will fix this or will the processor allow the factory system to turn up louder?? and 2nd the sub does not have enough bass..

any input i appreciate..thanks guys..
No. You misunderstood me. You want to build upon the factory system using an audio processor AND aftermarket amps. Your setup would look something like this:

Factory HU > Factory amp > Audio processor (use the high level inputs) > Aftermarket amps > upgraded speakers/subs
Old 01-22-2009 | 11:09 PM
Pro

get the 3 sixty.2, you won't be dissappointed.
Old 01-23-2009 | 05:16 AM
Safety Car

I also want to keep the OEM head unit/Nav. I am installing all 4 main speakers using Polk DB series and a Kicker center, I already have a Diamond Audio 12" sub, sub amp and cap. I noticed low volume on the Polks, sounds like 5wrms, very weak. I want to upgrade at least the 4 main channels. So getting the processor and a 4 channel amp would keep the system working the same as OEM ? I don't want to loose the DVD audio and all other functions.
Old 01-23-2009 | 08:09 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I also want to keep the OEM head unit/Nav. I am installing all 4 main speakers using Polk DB series and a Kicker center, I already have a Diamond Audio 12" sub, sub amp and cap. I noticed low volume on the Polks, sounds like 5wrms, very weak. I want to upgrade at least the 4 main channels. So getting the processor and a 4 channel amp would keep the system working the same as OEM ? I don't want to loose the DVD audio and all other functions.
Yes it will keep everything working as designed... as long as you keep the center channel conected
Old 01-23-2009 | 10:14 AM
Drifting

U are going to need this to install an aftermarket sub into a 07/08 type-S ONLY

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/i-163-amp-sub-installed-08-tl-s-amp-not-getting-signal-when-doors-shut-700991/
Old 01-23-2009 | 10:19 AM
Drifting

^ Good call, Mr Greco!
Old 01-23-2009 | 10:25 AM
Drifting

^^ I spent days, almost an entire week, of putting up with that feedback problem because I couldn't find any info about it lol
Old 01-23-2009 | 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trew
No. You misunderstood me. You want to build upon the factory system using an audio processor AND aftermarket amps. Your setup would look something like this:

Factory HU > Factory amp > Audio processor (use the high level inputs) > Aftermarket amps > upgraded speakers/subs
Trew,
Thanks for the help, so if im understanding this correctly, i will install the audio processor to the factory amps and then to the Aftermarket amps as well ?

would i also have to rewire the speakers with new wires running to aftermarket amps? or would i be able to use all factory connections?

actually would i also have to run power off the battery terminal to power the new amps??

thanks guys

thanks
Old 01-23-2009 | 02:13 PM
Drifting

Forgive the question, but do you have any experience with car audio? This would help me determine how to respond.

What you would do is tap the wires that come out of the factory amp (factory amp output) and connect them to the high level Input of the audio processor. Then from the Output of the audio processor (RCA jacks), connect RCA cables to the input of your aftermarket amps. The last thing would be to connect your upgraded speakers to the Output of the aftermarket amps.

Here is the perfect thread for you to follow. It was very well written and nearly completely thought out. it will help you with everything you need to know to upgrade the sound system in the TL.

Read the whole thing, and don't rush. You won't regret taking the time to absorb all the valuable information within.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...314&highlight=

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2009 | 03:21 PM
Intermediate

ive worked on many aftermarket stereo systems, but all never had bluetooth and navi..they were easy to do, just run all new wiring to all speaker,amps,sub and Rca''s..

the TL'S and stereo's now adays are alittle more complicated i feel to build off of.

im just looking for something simple to upgrade sound ,better base .without running a ton of wiring and non if possible.dont want to get that involoved in stereo;s anymore.

appreciate all your help

Originally Posted by Trew
Forgive the question, but do you have any experience with car audio? This would help me determine how to respond.

What you would do is tap the wires that come out of the factory amp (factory amp output) and connect them to the high level Input of the audio processor. Then from the Output of the audio processor (RCA jacks), connect RCA cables to the input of your aftermarket amps. The last thing would be to connect your upgraded speakers to the Output of the aftermarket amps.

Here is the perfect thread for you to follow. It was very well written and nearly completely thought out. it will help you with everything you need to know to upgrade the sound system in the TL.

Read the whole thing, and don't rush. You won't regret taking the time to absorb all the valuable information within.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...314&highlight=

Good luck!