Acura TL - DVD not playing MP3's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura TL - DVD not playing MP3's

Hello,

I burned a mixed DVD with all the songs that I like. However, I tried playing it on the car but it wasn't working. I'm using HP's DVD-R 16x 4.7GB 120min and I am using Power2go software to write to the DVD. Is anyone else having the same problem? How are you guys able to play MP3 DVD on your TL? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have 06 TL and it doesn't play mp3. I don't think it's capable of playing MP3 at all.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It can't play mp3's burned to DVD's, but it can play mp3's burned to CD's.

I've seen posts on this forum about a burning software that let's you do it both ways. Try searching or perhaps somebody else can chime in.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
First it's got to be an '07 or an '08 to play MP3 format.

2nd, the DVD has to be authored as a DVD-A. That is some kind of special formatting and most run-of-the-mill DVD burning software don't have it.

You can't just file copy or make a data DVD and then play it.

OTOH - a data CD full of MP3 will work just fine and, in most cases, hold more songs than you can easily navigate through.

For creating DVD-A search user name "Adobeman" - he has created anumber of method to convert music to DVD-A and recommends a couple of DVD-A authoring options.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

2nd, the DVD has to be authored as a DVD-A. That is some kind of special formatting and most run-of-the-mill DVD burning software don't have it.

You can't just file copy or make a data DVD and then play it.

Hmmm? Now I am wondering if this is correct. If I get time later today, I'll give it a shot, just to double check.

I've made a bunch of "home made" 5.1 DVD-A with no trouble and in some early cases got a "Format Error". But I don't think I've tried just putting MP3 files on DVD.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh i have an 07 TL... I get a format error... what is a DVD-A? could you suggest softwares that have that option? Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jojopogi29
oh i have an 07 TL... I get a format error... what is a DVD-A? could you suggest softwares that have that option? Thanks

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

For creating DVD-A search user name "Adobeman" - he has created anumber of method to convert music to DVD-A and recommends a couple of DVD-A authoring options.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by jojopogi29
DVD-A is audio on DVD. You can buy them but they are expensive and not a great selection in this format. DVD-A allows for the 5.1 surround to be used in your ELS system. Separates the channels and sounds awesome.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm lost with this I want to play mp3 on my stereo and stupid dvd-r doesn't work
Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by fg1jdm
I'm lost with this I want to play mp3 on my stereo and stupid dvd-r doesn't work
what year is your stupid TL?
The following users liked this post:
JOSH 04TL (11-03-2013)
Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by fg1jdm
As others have said, not all 3G TLs can play .MP3s in the first place.

Second, and more importantly, even if your TL can play .MP3s, it will not be able to play .MP3s on a DVD. You're making the mistake of misunderstanding the term "DVD-Audio." It doesn't simply refer to "music on a DVD." It's a special type of formatting for a DVD and it will not play in the majority of DVD players on the market unless they have a special "DVD AUDIO" logo. Do a Google search for "DVD-Audio" and you'll be able to find ample explanations, but to make a long story short, around 10 years ago two competing high-rez audio formats called Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) and DVD-Audio hit the market. Both of them are capable of much higher-resolution sound than ordinary CDs, and both of them are capable of multichannel (5.1-surround) audio. SACDs require a special type of CD player capable of playing SACDs in order to play the high-rez recordings, although some SACDs are "hybrid" discs that contain a standard "Red Book" CD layer that can be played in any CD player (though you lose the high-rez audio and the multichannel sound when you do this). DVD-Audio is a separate format that cannot be played in an ordinary CD player nor in an ordinary DVD player.

DVD-Audio discs can also be encoded to play two-channel music and, when they're formatted this way, they can hold a lot more music than a regular CD can (due to a DVD's higher capacity of 4.7 GB versus 700 MB). However, you cannot just burn music to a DVD and then expect it to play as a DVD-Audio disc. You have to format the music files correctly, and this involves more than just putting the music files themselves into a specific audio codec like .WAV, .FLAC, Apple Lossless, or whatever.

That's why people use special DVD-Audio creation software. Adobeman's is popular on this forum because it's free and because the software's creator (Adobeman) posts here. You do have to convert your files to .WAV to use his software; while his software will do it for you, when I've put .MP3 concert bootlegs onto DVDs I've found it's better to use one of the many converter programs on the market and then to use Adobeman's software to create the very large .ISO file that you then have to burn to the DVD. I then use Roxio to burn that file to the disc.

I hope that helps a bit with the general concept. Do a search for Adobeman's posts and you'll quickly find the threads about "Project DVD-A." Click on those to learn how to create your own discs. Also, if you search for my posts containing the word "Beatles," you'll get a sense of the benefit of putting regular CD-quality audio on a DVD-A; to make a long story short, I fit 11 Beatles CDs on a single DVD-A, which is really nice in terms of saving space in both the six-disc changer and the glove compartment.

(As a general matter, though, your average .MP3 listener is unlikely to be very familiar with the DVD-Audio format. .MP3 is a lossy-compressed format, i.e., not particularly high-fidelity, whereas DVD-A is capable of extremely high resolution not achievable with lossy compression. Comments such as the one quoted at the start of this post confirm in my mind the disconnect between people who use .MP3 as their standard format, on the one hand, and the DVD-Audio format on the other hand.)

Last edited by 1995hoo; 09-10-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 AM
n00b

Old 11-03-2013, 12:21 PM
10th Gear

Old 08-12-2014, 01:53 AM
3rd Gear

Okay, so just to confirm 1995, you're saying that the player in the 2007+ will not read/play dvd's with .mp3 files, correct? Only CD's with .mp3's will play?

That is ... most unfortunate. Considering the player obviously 'understands' the DVD format (hence support for DVD-A), and also 'understands' .mp3 format (again, in the 2007+ models), it seems counter-intuitive that it's support for .mp3 files extends only to those stored on a CD formatted disc.

Considering a DVD-DL has over 10x the storage capacity of the old CD format, this short-coming in the system means we go from having a potential storage capacity (with the 6 disc changer) of over 50GB of music at our fingertips (literally a HUGE music collection) ... to 740MB * 6 or 4.4GB of tunes ... i.e. greater than the proverbial 'order of magnitude', as it were ...

As someone poised to pull the trigger on a used 2007 tomorrow AM, this is indeed ... sad to learn. I had definitely hoped for the opposite. I wonder if maybe someday someone will reckon a way to 'trick' the system into believing a DVD-DL full of tunes is actually just a 'CD' full of tunes. Seems like it's just 'space', right?

IOW, couldn't the player be tricked into 'thinking' it has a 740MB CD in it's drive, even though it's actually a 8.8GB DVD-DL full of .mp3s? And if not, WHY NOT ... I ask you
Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by brettjv
Okay, so just to confirm 1995, you're saying that the player in the 2007+ will not read/play dvd's with .mp3 files, correct? Only CD's with .mp3's will play?

That is ... most unfortunate. Considering the player obviously 'understands' the DVD format (hence support for DVD-A), and also 'understands' .mp3 format (again, in the 2007+ models), it seems counter-intuitive that it's support for .mp3 files extends only to those stored on a CD formatted disc.

Considering a DVD-DL has over 10x the storage capacity of the old CD format, this short-coming in the system means we go from having a potential storage capacity (with the 6 disc changer) of over 50GB of music at our fingertips (literally a HUGE music collection) ... to 740MB * 6 or 4.4GB of tunes ... i.e. greater than the proverbial 'order of magnitude', as it were ...

As someone poised to pull the trigger on a used 2007 tomorrow AM, this is indeed ... sad to learn. I had definitely hoped for the opposite. I wonder if maybe someday someone will reckon a way to 'trick' the system into believing a DVD-DL full of tunes is actually just a 'CD' full of tunes. Seems like it's just 'space', right?

IOW, couldn't the player be tricked into 'thinking' it has a 740MB CD in it's drive, even though it's actually a 8.8GB DVD-DL full of .mp3s? And if not, WHY NOT ... I ask you

For the same reason you can't "trick" the cassette tape deck in the TL to play mp3's from a DVD-R. DVD-A is a totally different format from regular DVD's. It has been mentioned on this thread already how to create DVD-A discs with mp3's on them, you just have to make them. By the way, welcome to the forums and good luck with your purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcoNorthPolo:
1995hoo (08-15-2014), justnspace (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks, "MarcoNorthPolo." I don't know how to explain it any better than I did in the other thread and further up this thread in my post from four years ago. Maybe if I word it this way: A DVD-Audio disc can contain material sourced from .MP3 files, but it cannot consist of raw data in .MP3 format that you copy in the same manner you would if you were copying a floppy disk or burning a CD. You have to use special software to "translate" the .MP3s into the proper format.

I don't view this as a "shortcoming" in the TL's stereo at all. You can still use DVD-Audio to hold a large amount of CD-quality audio (which will usually be of better quality than .MP3 in the first place). The number of CDs you can fit on a single DVD-Audio disc will vary, of course, depending on the length of each CD, but let's say for discussion purposes you fit an average of six CDs on each DVD-Audio disc. If you put six of those in the TL's changer, you'd have the equivalent of 36 CDs in there at one time. That'll last a heck of a long time while you're driving.

But if you want to make DVD-Audio discs of your CDs, you'd be better off ripping to .WAV or .FLAC and then burning those files to the DVDs instead of using .MP3 because .MP3 is lossy. The codec literally deletes part of the music to save space, and you don't get any of that lost data back when you burn the DVD-Audio. (In other words, what you burn will sound no better than the source material.)

My impression is "brettjv" may not have understood the difference between DVD-Audio and DVD-Video. A DVD-Audio disc will not play on just any old "DVD player." It has to have the DVD-Audio logo you see on your TL's stereo if that player is to be able to handle the disc. I'm looking across my office at a "DVD player" I have in here for playing CDs and SACDs. It won't play DVD-Audio. The only stereo component I have that plays those is a Marantz "universal player" (though with the advent of Blu-ray it's no longer "universal")—it plays standard DVD movies, CDs, SACDs, and DVD-Audio discs.

Some people do get confused because the discs look the same. Perhaps the best way to think of it is to think back to the late 1980s. Your IBM PS/2 Model 80 and your friend's Apple Macintosh may have used the same 3.5-inch floppy disk, but if you inserted a disk from your friend's computer into your machine, it wouldn't be able to read it because of the different data formatting (and vice versa). DVD-Audio and "regular old DVDs" are similar. Unlike the PC/Mac thing, that'll never change, in part because DVD-Audio flopped on the mass market.

Edited to add: Looking at another thread reminds me of something. I've run into problems converting .WAVs to DVD-Audio when I've used Windows Vista or Windows 7 to rip them, though I don't know why. Third-party software like CDex seems to do a better job.

Last edited by 1995hoo; 08-15-2014 at 02:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1995hoo:
justnspace (08-15-2014), MarcoNorthPolo (08-23-2014), Spen_cer (04-20-2015)
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
The PC/Mac analogy is a good one.