2011 Orange DVD for EDIT $99 see post #1 for link (04-06 TL) and (2007-2008 TL)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow - great find! Just purchased a nav disc for my fathers 07 accord last week for 149.99 + tax and shipping. Got the difference credited back, and my orange disc for my 05 TL purchsed for $99! Great find guys! Saved me over $100!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
That particular road is so new that I'd be very surprised if it's on there. Note that it would likely become obsolete really quickly anyway because of the other roads related to that one that aren't done yet (the Boudinot Drive ramp and some roads leading into that BRAC project at the Proving Ground). The Beltway construction and the ICC in Maryland will both render the 2011 disc obsolete quite quickly even if the Fairfax County Parkway segment were on there. For $99 I may order it anyway. I haven't updated mine since 2007 or 2008.
Did you ever order one? I am also in Kingstowne and thinking about the upgrade.

I am having another problem with my Navi constantly rebooting and "hoping" the new dvd will cure it.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by estabro

I am having another problem with my Navi constantly rebooting and "hoping" the new dvd will cure it.
Have you checked/cleaned the disk and/or dvd reader? There is a good thread on cleaning the navi dvd/player somewhere on this forum.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like that there are more POI's that my old DVD didn't have. I have an 06 TL and the old DVD said Ver.3.50 2005 Honda Motor co. 2004 Nav Tech. A lot has changed in 5 years...the new one says 2009 Nav Tech on the DVD.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, I ordered it on Friday and it came by FedEx yesterday (signature required). Used it today to guide me to a couple of places in Montgomery County. I noticed that the quad-carriageway I-270 still confuses the hell out of it—it insists that you should take the local lanes rather than the express lanes. Since I knew what exit I needed (I-370), I just ignored it and used the express lanes and then let it guide me once I was off the highway.

For some reason it thinks there's a McDonald's at the Kingstowne shopping center; it appears to think it's in where the Burger King and KFC/Taco Bell are. No such McDonald's exists, of course, but the funny thing is that apparently McDonald's is seeking to open a franchise somewhere in the Kingstowne shopping center (notwithstanding the location right around the corner on Franconia Road). So perhaps the NAVTEQ people know something the public doesn't yet.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Read post #102
I saw that, but it didn't seem to address the issue I noted—i.e., that if you had auto-DST turned on, your clock would have gone back on October 31 and so there would be no way to know whether the correct time now was due to the software update or due to the clock having gone back before.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Have you checked/cleaned the disk and/or dvd reader? There is a good thread on cleaning the navi dvd/player somewhere on this forum.
The DVD looks perfect. Found a few threads here where people needed to replace the DVD drive in the trunk. Apparently, Alpine can refurb it for under $200.

I ran the Nav diagnostics (Menu + Map + Cancel) the 1st time and it kept rebooting during it and threw error codes. Second time, it ran fine and did not show any issues.

I think the first thing (and easiest thing) I should try is to borrow a DVD that is know to be problem free and see if the same issues come up.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
...For some reason it thinks there's a McDonald's at the Kingstowne shopping center; it appears to think it's in where the Burger King and KFC/Taco Bell are. No such McDonald's exists, of course, but the funny thing is that apparently McDonald's is seeking to open a franchise somewhere in the Kingstowne shopping center (notwithstanding the location right around the corner on Franconia Road). So perhaps the NAVTEQ people know something the public doesn't yet....
I never knew about this until just now, but it looks like there is a McDonalds inside the Walmart.

I can't PM you because I am a new member to the forum, but if I can ever borrow your old DVD for a few minutes to troubleshoot my system it would be a huge favor...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Is the deal still on?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Just ordered at $109--. Came up as $185 the first 2 attempts. WOrked on the third.
thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tls08
I am driving a 2008 TLS and still debating if I should upgrade my nav disc. I know it's probably worth it coming from an older TL, but is it worth an upgrade coming from an 08?

For those of you with the white disc, do you guys notice any other differences beside an updated map? Is the search engine better?
I was thinking the same thing... The only thing that gets me annoyed is when I search for a place and the "distance" shows a few 1000 miles from where I am at.

So it this worth upgrading for us type s guys?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM

I never knew about this until just now, but it looks like there is a McDonalds inside the Walmart.

I can't PM you because I am a new member to the forum, but if I can ever borrow your old DVD for a few minutes to troubleshoot my system it would be a huge favor...
There is indeed a partial-service McDonald's in there, but the new disc shows one as being located roughly where the Burger King is across the street. I know they've been negotiating to open a full-service location somewhere in the shopping center, but I thought it odd that the new disc listed one. I'm not sure where they'd put it, given that McDonald's normally prefers to have a stand-alone facility and not a location as part of a larger building like the Burger King and the KFC/Taco Bell. I've heard that Kohl's may sell off part of their car park (given that it's always half-empty), so maybe that's a more likely location.

My old DVD is orange version 3.70 (it's sitting here next to my PC). If your disc is newer than that, my old DVD would not help you because you have to have the dealer "uninstall" any newer updates you use.

I haven't yet used the new DVD for a trip into DC to see whether it still goes haywire downtown. If I drive my TL to the Caps game tomorrow night I'll check it out and report back (I often drive Ms1995hoo's RSX, in part because of her Caps-related license plates). Otherwise I'll check it out when I make a liquor run prior to Thanksgiving.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tls08
I am driving a 2008 TLS and still debating if I should upgrade my nav disc. I know it's probably worth it coming from an older TL, but is it worth an upgrade coming from an 08?

For those of you with the white disc, do you guys notice any other differences beside an updated map? Is the search engine better?
Originally Posted by lenjaiah
I was thinking the same thing... The only thing that gets me annoyed is when I search for a place and the "distance" shows a few 1000 miles from where I am at.

So it this worth upgrading for us type s guys?

type s guys!! any updates on this????!!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Shipping for media via USPS is like $1 It's totally cheap. Its considered freedom of speech or something. So if they charge $20 for shipping they are just moving the charges from the cost of the CD to the shipping.. Same thing.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Drifting

You can also browse through normally, like http://www.acuranavi.com rather than clicking the link, and add it to your cart for full price, then enter the promo code

promo code
U0031-0071-009 for the orange cd..

And for the white cd..
U0031-0072-010

Last edited by Chad05TL; 11-11-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, not that it matters since I saved a bunch of money, but I realized after ordering that they charged tax ON the shipping! At first I thought they got the tax rate wrong (10.5% instead of 9.5% for San Francisco), but when I re-did the tax calculation on top of $99 + $9.95 ($108.95), it came out to $119.30, which is exactly what I got charged for.

So they got an extra buck out of me...Bastards. :P
Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Drifting

yup. for some reason people overlook the Millions extra they pay for shipping.. Ever see those commericals on TV that are giving you an Ebay Cd for free? Just pay the $5 shipping? Well, since all their charges are on the shipping cost, there cannot be a refund. So you cant ask for a refund when you complain about the CRAP they sent you, and that is posted freely on Ebay help section. And they make money because shipping for an educational CD is like $1 through USPS.

So long story short, people ignore the real cost of shipping vs. what the seller charges..

But hats off to you for calculating the amount they ripped you off.. but what about that 800% overcharge on the shipping cost?

They make money off "shipping".. or so called shipping.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

Got mine today for this great price and replaced my original 2005 TL 3.40c disc. I applied the v3.8 hack (new menu items + OK bypass) and it worked the first time. Now I need to customize the start-up pic again and edit the disclaimer text.

It seems that the calculation may be a bit quicker due to the indexing of the locations. I've also noticed that searching for locations is easier since they cleaned up the data. Welcome to 2011!

(I also noticed that it has some streets updated in my local city that aren't correct in my 2011 MDX.)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
1995hoo - Thanks for updating me on the new roads. I was wondering if the new Parkway off Rolling Road is on the list as well? Also, that's pretty cool the Navi "knows" about new restaurants that aren't there yet lol.

I think I'll just purchase the Navi disk this week for $99 since mine's an '07, regardless of the updated roads or not.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLTrance
You know, not that it matters since I saved a bunch of money, but I realized after ordering that they charged tax ON the shipping! At first I thought they got the tax rate wrong (10.5% instead of 9.5% for San Francisco), but when I re-did the tax calculation on top of $99 + $9.95 ($108.95), it came out to $119.30, which is exactly what I got charged for.

So they got an extra buck out of me...Bastards. :P
Depends on the state, but generally speaking, if the item is subject to sales tax, then so is the shipping.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! $100 + shipping is a lot more palatable. I know around my stomping grounds there are road and landmark updates that aren't on the disc of my 05's Navi.

The list/regular price just really seemed unreasonable and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they just weren't selling. For $150 or more, no thanks...I'll just use a mapping app on my iPhone. But for a hundred bucks to get it on the car's Navi? Sure, I'll bite.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the first time I've seen it on my online purchases... I live in California...

Depends on the state, but generally speaking, if the item is subject to sales tax, then so is the shipping.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
yup. for some reason people overlook the Millions extra they pay for shipping.. Ever see those commericals on TV that are giving you an Ebay Cd for free? Just pay the $5 shipping? Well, since all their charges are on the shipping cost, there cannot be a refund. So you cant ask for a refund when you complain about the CRAP they sent you, and that is posted freely on Ebay help section. And they make money because shipping for an educational CD is like $1 through USPS.

So long story short, people ignore the real cost of shipping vs. what the seller charges..

But hats off to you for calculating the amount they ripped you off.. but what about that 800% overcharge on the shipping cost?

They make money off "shipping".. or so called shipping.
What are you talking about? FedEx Ground signature delivery does not cost $1. That's how these discs are sent. USPS Media mail is not insured, takes longer, and it doesn't cost $1 either.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Drifting

Actually media mail is pretty fast. It's small so USPS carries it and they do it just as fast as Fedex. Remember its only a CD not 4 17" wheels.

The current price on their webpage says $2.38. But they quoted me about a buck and a half to send a CD a few years ago while in person at the post office. That's still better than 10 or 15 or 20 bucks. And insurance can be added for some change. And most likely all delivery companies are doing automatic pickups from the supplier. So thats even more economical for the supplier. But this 2.38 may be cheaper in person and depending upon the shipping source and destination.

But lets look at Fedex..

I couldnt find media mail on their webpage. So I picked an "envelope" that weighs .3 pounds. Has to be less than 1/2 pound for an envelope. And from Dallas to Tulsa the cheapest shipping charge is $13.40 and its 4 days. 2 day shipping is like $60. So, if that includes insurance, well I hope so, because you're paying for it. So really the time difference is a minimum of 2 days or a max of 4 days. Thats not much difference in time to create an issue. Like how much of a hurry are you in to get those maps?

So anyway, I never heard of a supplier picking the most expensive shipping company they can find unless they are trying to make money off shipping. And I am willing to bet, the supplier gets a special DISCOUNT for volume shipping. The 2.38 or 13.40 is Retail!

So there's no doubt in my mind they are gouging you on shipping. And a little envelope is like 25 cents at walmart. Its just a CD/DVD. Light weight! Easily handled.

And you know what, I bet ya a buck, USPS will supply the envelope. haha ( I know they have them there anyway)

Last edited by Chad05TL; 11-13-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Instructor

You're right, NAVTEQ almost certainly isn't paying $13.40 to send these to us. I'm not sure why it's signature delivery to begin with, actually--Amazon sends stuff worth much more all the time without that requirement. The quoted shipping rates from FedEx, UPS, etc. usually include $100 of insurance. I just sent something through UPS that I had to select the next increment of insurance, $101-$300, and it was a couple of bucks extra. I didn't think you could insure media mail, i.e. that it had to be first class or better.

When I was shipping more often, I was told that media mail is a "low priority" shipping method, and that it is the first thing to go if they are approaching their limit with a particular mode of transit (full trailer, full truck, etc.). I don't know how much truth there is to it. The only thing I received via media mail showed up in about the same time as it would have taken a first class parcel.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

Great deal, got mine as well and immediately hacked the ok button and trip computer. It is faster to calculate from my previous 3.40. Still haven't figured out how to hack the picture...work in progress...I'll let everyone know once I figure it out.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Instructor

$9.99 to ship 2nd Day FedEx w/ signature is reasonable IMO.

I am an Amazon Prime member, so it's hard to pay anything for shipping. At least they are not charging $10 to send via USPS.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by vp55
1995hoo - Thanks for updating me on the new roads. I was wondering if the new Parkway off Rolling Road is on the list as well? Also, that's pretty cool the Navi "knows" about new restaurants that aren't there yet lol.

I think I'll just purchase the Navi disk this week for $99 since mine's an '07, regardless of the updated roads or not.
That part of the Parkway is not on there, probably because it is too new (IIRC it opened in late September). My breadcrumbs are still there from my first trip on that stretch the week it opened, though. The road that runs in from Backlick Road to loop around the new BRAC building on the Engineer Proving Ground is shown, but the part where it links up to the new part of the Parkway and to the realigned part of Rolling Road is not on there. I suppose it's extremely easy to find your way around on that part of the Parkway, but the breadcrumbs could prove annoying if you use it all the time. I recall how I used to find it really annoying to have thousands of breadcrumbs for the part of Kingstowne Village Parkway that runs alongside the lake and past the two office buildings—my original Navi disc didn't include that road and I drive on it ALL THE TIME.

Incidentally, the scuttlebutt is that the existing interchange of Rolling Road and the Parkway at the northern end of the new stretch will be rebuilt sometime so that thru traffic on the Parkway need not deal with the traffic lights (thus rendering a Navi disc obsolete even if it did show the new road), but that part of the project is not yet funded.

(I was checking out other local projects to see what was updated. VA-28's interchanges are on there. The new roundabouts at Gilberts Corner are not. The Springfield Interchange shows all the current ramps correctly but, for obvious reasons, does not show the new HOV/HOT ramps now under construction. I haven't looked to see if the new Wegmans down in Dale City is on there. I lay down breadcrumbs every time I go there.)

BTW, I said I would check on whether it still goes haywire downtown. It does indeed. On Thursday when I left for the Caps game I asked it to guide me to Ms1995hoo's office, which is at the Watergate office building near the Kennedy Center. It wanted me to take I-395 to the Boundary Channel Drive/Reagan Airport exit, make a "cloverleaf U-turn" to start back south on I-395, then take VA-110 north to I-66, then immediately exit to go over Key Bridge to the Whitehurst Freeway. I don't know why it didn't just send me down Washington Boulevard to VA-110 instead of having me ride the ramps further up. I understand why it didn't send me over Memorial Bridge and around on Ohio Drive due to that road being reversible at certain times of day (although the outbound lanes are normally always open when it's not under construction), but this experiment suggests to me that the thing still has problems with downtown. (Since Thursday was a holiday I ignored the Navi and used Ohio Drive.) I didn't get around to playing with it on the way to yesterday's game because we took Ms1995hoo's car instead.

Last edited by 1995hoo; 11-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

i have been looking for a used disc since april men this is a very good link men thanks men im finally gonna be able touch my navi screen
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Drifting

$9.99 to ship 2nd Day FedEx w/ signature is reasonable IMO.

I am an Amazon Prime member, so it's hard to pay anything for shipping. At least they are not charging $10 to send via USPS.
You say that now, but if you physically walked into the post office and they told you it would be $10 to ship it, you'd say Wow.. $10 for this little thing? It's nearly the size of a letter! haha give me a break.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Instructor

You say that now, but if you physically walked into the post office and they told you it would be $10 to ship it, you'd say Wow.. $10 for this little thing? It's nearly the size of a letter! haha give me a break.
I guess the most comparable mailing service at the post office is USPS Priority 2-3 day w/ Signature which costs $7.25.

FedEx costs more than USPS so I doubt they are making any huge profits on shipping.

Besides, what is important is the bottom line- the DVD under $115 is a good value. No way I'd pay full price to upgrade.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Drifting

I guess the most comparable mailing service at the post office is USPS Priority 2-3 day w/ Signature which costs $7.25.

FedEx costs more than USPS so I doubt they are making any huge profits on shipping.
No.. DVD's are Media Mail. look up.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Instructor

No.. DVD's are Media Mail. look up.
And how does media mail get there in 2 days with signature confirmation?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Drifting

very carefully.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:03 PM
OREO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank u sir! 118 shipped!

Last edited by NYC04TL; 11-16-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the find.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Race Director

I sure hope this dumbass isn't an Azine member...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Instructor

That is funny... I saw that a few days ago. I think it's some sort of response to the eBay'ers who are reselling DVD's they bought for $99 like this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A...item2eb115e261
Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on this today. With as much driving as I do I'm surprised I didn't do it sooner.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Enthusiastic Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ordered Orange for my 2005 TL - easy. Thanks for saving me 50%!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nice find. Just ordered mine today.

Quick Reply: 2011 Orange DVD for EDIT $99 see post #1 for link (04-06 TL) and (2007-2008 TL)