'05 Navi with integrated ipod

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 Navi with integrated ipod

Since Alpine is the manufacturer of the TL Navi system, how hard could it be to add their KCA420i Ai-net function to the TL Navi. In their 'brochure' below they state it won't interfere with XM satellite, Nav, 5.1 DTS playback or even DVD playback.

The Best In-Vehicle Solution for Your iPod™ .
Alpine iPod Interface, KCA-420i

Now you wonder how you could ever live without an iPod after owning one. What if there was an even better way of cruising to your tunes? Introducing the KCA-420i, the best in-vehicle interface adapter which allows you to cruise to your iTunes™! Simply use the KCA-420i to plug in your *iPod or iPod mini into a compatible 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit, and voilà! Get ready to groove to your iPod in your car.

KCA-420i, Target Retail Price $100.00
Availability: Late September @ All Authorized Alpine Retailers

*The KCA-420i is compatible with any iPod and iPod mini with dock conector and iPod Update 2004-04-28. Go to the iTunes site to download the latest iPod software.

Control Within Reach.

Plugging in keeps you in control. You can quickly search and listen to your iPod tracks directly from your head unit, and even use a remote control. The power to control key playback functions is at your fingertips.

Find Your Favorites Quickly.

With any 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit, QuickSearch™ keys, and the ergonomic rotary knob make it easy and extremely convenient to search songs stored in the iPod. You can quickly search through your collection by playlist, artist, or album and find exactly what you're in the mood for. The best part is, it allows you to search for music while enjoying your current selection. When you're ready for your next hit, it's as easy as pushing in the knob.

Song Title, Artist, and Album at a Glance

With every great navigable interface like QuickSearch comes great display information. The Alpine solution displays vital information on the head unit. Identifying your next song selection is simple when you can view artist, album, and song names during playback. All Alpine displays are specifically engineered for the vehicle, and designed to be clearly visible even in direct sunlight. The high resolution, high contrast displays make the information easily viewable from any angle. One glance is all it takes to see what song is playing while you keep your focus on the road.

Get Plugged In and Charged Up.

The KCA-420i connection is designed to be a simple connection, just one plug from the interface to the head unit and iPod. No power wire connections are needed to power the KCA-420i. Better than that, it charges your iPod on your way to the slopes, beach, and any destination.

Keep It Clean, Install the KCA-420i Anywhere.

Not only is it easy to connect, you can also fit the KCA-420i under the dash, in the trunk or under the seat for mounting applications. There's no need to worry about the iPod , you can stash it in your glove compartment out of sight and out of mind. Less wires and simple storage keeps your interior clutter-free.

Turn It Up!

As with any digital music and plugged-in portable device, there's always the fear of the loss of sound quality; but not this time. Since the iPod and KCA-420i are connected directly to the head unit via our patented Ai-NET BUS, it will playback all of the music information encoded on your iPod. The great news is that 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head units are equipped with a proprietary technology which enhances sound quality and restores lost detail to compressed digital media. Alpine is always focused on improving sound performance so you can hear the difference.

Make Your Digital Music Sound Like CDs.

MediaXpander™ is an exlcusive Alpine technology that gives a significant boost to sound quality. It provides three selectable harmonic restoration modes for five sources: MP3/WMA, CD, DVD, FM and Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM). MediaXpander uses a 500Mhz processor to recreate the subtleties and nuances that make the music sound real. In essence, only Alpine allows you to make your digital media sound great.

Personalized Sound Control.

Sound customization is taken to the next level with Bass Engine™. We know that every vehicle and music taste is different, that's why Alpine gives you the ability to personalize your sound and your system. With Alpine's exclusive Bass Engine technology, you can customize the sound with EQs, crossovers, and more. The sound can be customized with special time correction technology, which ensures your seat is placed directly in the middle of the music to really bring life to your experience.

Expand Your System.

The KCA-420i can be added to any 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit. Now you have the option of enjoying your iPod in your car, and still use your other in-vehicle electronics applications such as a Multi-Channel 5.1 Dolby Digital® system, Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM), a CD Changer, or Navigation.

It has to be a simple add on to the software in the TL Navi, since Alpine is the manufacturer. Could have the ipod interface emulated on the touch screen. Hope Acura and Alpine are working on this since BMW already stole the show with their clunky interface.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/ipod/
Old 07-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Alpine is NOT the maufacturer of our system in the 04 TL. It is Panasonic.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Racer

Apline makes the NAVI, Panasonic makes the Radio
Old 07-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thread would be moved to Navi sub-forum tonight. Non-Navi users may check this out...

Good info.

IMO, I won't try this mod until the upgrade of "real-time traffic" module is there. I don't want to make it complicated. :o
Old 07-16-2004, 08:11 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc
19145 Gramercy Place
Torrance, CA 90501
Tel: 310.326.8000

Not too far from AHM HQ.
Someone needs to get these kids together.

Anyone know if Brucedeb1 has an iPod? I know he lives or works in that area.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:12 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Also, is the XM Tuner integrated or AI-Net type interface? does anyone know FOR SURE?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Racer

Sorry, thought Alpine did both the Navi and the Radio. Oh, well, Back to the drawing board. Still; perhaps there's a work around.

I think the XM tuner is integrated, but am really talkin out my ass. I don't know for sure. :sqnteek:
Old 07-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Casper42
Also, is the XM Tuner integrated or AI-Net type interface? does anyone know FOR SURE?
The XM unit is not integrated into the radio up front, it is in the rear passenger side in the trunk.

JT

jtaudioacc.com
Old 07-16-2004, 09:22 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by coasterlvr
The XM unit is not integrated into the radio up front, it is in the rear passenger side in the trunk.

JT

jtaudioacc.com
Just so I'm 100% sure, you did mean XM and not DVD NAVI right? Because I know the NAVI unit is in the trunk.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Casper42
Just so I'm 100% sure, you did mean XM and not DVD NAVI right? Because I know the NAVI unit is in the trunk.
Yes the XM unit is behind the carpet above the wheel well. I have integrated audio into the factory stereo by tapping into the XM wiring.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:06 PM
5th Gear

I just got off the phone with my dealer's service dept. who says the '05 TL's head unit is made by Bose. Does Bose make any fancy iPod stuff?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:56 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by idgaf
I just got off the phone with my dealer's service dept. who says the '05 TL's head unit is made by Bose. Does Bose make any fancy iPod stuff?
I think they're incorrect. Everything I've read says it is made by Panasonic. Bose makes systems for other Acura vehicles, though.

Here's a link about this system.

Bose does make some iPod accessories, but not for the car.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

When companies make equipment for car OEMs they never use connectors or protocols compatible with their retail units. You can safely stop exploring this direction.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gt1
When companies make equipment for car OEMs they never use connectors or protocols compatible with their retail units. You can safely stop exploring this direction.
Yeah, after some more reading (and the elssurround.com link), I'm sure it's not a "Bose wave radio" like the guy said. If you could have only heard the sureness in his voice!

From what I understand, the AUX jack which you CAN connect Panasonic's 8-disc changer (CX-DP880) to is occupied by the XM receiver.

Wouldn't someone think that one of the iPod "CD changer emulator" boxes in Panasonic mode(s) should attach to the OEM deck in lieu of the XM receiver if one so chose?