Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting Gone Bad

You will not believe what they did to my 05'TL !!! When I had my window tints put on through the Acura dealer. I talked to the guy to make sure that he does a good job, and this is what I got!
The son of a bxtch cut the rubber moldings off from the inside of the door so it wouldn't scratch the tint, (and didn't bother to even ask before he did it). At first i didn't realize it since I had the windows closed for a few days, although for some reason I heard a lot more outside noise in the vehicle especially at speeds of 60mph+ , and when it rained was awfully loud inside.
So, when i rolled the windows down i could see all the mechanisms inside the door. (It was ridiculous). I called the manager at Acura that i was dealing with, who actually tricked me into doing tints through them because the guarantee 'em (just a load of shit fell for) so I drove to the fuken guy and he's lucky i didn't punch his lights out. When I confronted him about it, he said: "oh, thats the way we do it to all the TL's because the inside molding is hard rubber so it scratches the tints". I said "What are you? On medication? You gotta be out your fuken mind! Who the fuk said you could cut anything on my car!!! He tried to say something while I was trying to discipline him, (you can understand I was a bit mad), so I said: "Shut your mouth, this is a one way conversation, I talk, you listen !!! NOW FIX MY FUCKEN CAR !!! Anyways, to sometimes get your point across, you need to be firm, so they know not to mess with you anymore. They fixed it, I'm happy now (once again), but as unfortunate as it was, it never should have happened. I filed a complaint with Acura.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sarge, that's great! I would have loved to see the manager's face. Besides, IMO, they should have told you they were gonna do that (modify) to the wiper or at least given you some option. That is total BS. The only good part about that is your tint is under warranty with Acura since it's dealer installed.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 AM
I slow down for COPS

Good job on your part. I guess it was easier to descipline by being in military

Originally Posted by SGT D USMC
You will not believe what they did to my 05'TL !!! When I had my window tints put on through the Acura dealer. I talked to the guy to make sure that he does a good job, and this is what I got!
The son of a bxtch cut the rubber moldings off from the inside of the door so it wouldn't scratch the tint, (and didn't bother to even ask before he did it). At first i didn't realize it since I had the windows closed for a few days, although for some reason I heard a lot more outside noise in the vehicle especially at speeds of 60mph+ , and when it rained was awfully loud inside.
So, when i rolled the windows down i could see all the mechanisms inside the door. (It was ridiculous). I called the manager at Acura that i was dealing with, who actually tricked me into doing tints through them because the guarantee 'em (just a load of shit fell for) so I drove to the fuken guy and he's lucky i didn't punch his lights out. When I confronted him about it, he said: "oh, thats the way we do it to all the TL's because the inside molding is hard rubber so it scratches the tints". I said "What are you? On medication? You gotta be out your fuken mind! Who the fuk said you could cut anything on my car!!! He tried to say something while I was trying to discipline him, (you can understand I was a bit mad), so I said: "Shut your mouth, this is a one way conversation, I talk, you listen !!! NOW FIX MY FUCKEN CAR !!! Anyways, to sometimes get your point across, you need to be firm, so they know not to mess with you anymore. They fixed it, I'm happy now (once again), but as unfortunate as it was, it never should have happened. I filed a complaint with Acura.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Good job, Sarge, you did what many of us don't bother to.

You are absolutely right, some people deserve the discipline. I, too, would've loved to see the look on that guy's face with you giving him what he deserved.

And thanks for your service.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

SGT D USMC, quick question. Did they cut two inner rubber blades or just one? Could you recall that? Thanks.

Did your dealer order the 4 new kits to put back into your doors?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

Only the ones on the inside of the window which have two lips were cut out on all four doors, thats why i was able to clearly see the inside of the door.
If they had only cut one, I don't know if I would have noticed it as soon as i rolled my windows down.
Yes, The dealer ordered all 4 new ones.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Is this a case of dealer stupidity - or dealer "I don't care - not my car" mentality? ....the role of the DIY expands each day - now we have to learn how to tint our own windows too...jobs are not going overseas - they are simply going in our gargage's!!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:16 PM
10th Gear

I had stated to the dealer that I'll do my tints through him if he guarantees the job and any issues such as bubbles and scratches will be fixed. I told him that if in a couple of weeks lines going up and down my window develop im gonna want to get that fixed. I could have gone to a private tinter for around $200 and in a few months change the side tints if lines develop at my own cost. He took me very seriously and wanted to make sure that i don't get those lines going up and down the window tint so he had them cut the blades out. Big mistake. Did he really think I wouldn't notice,...
Old 05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

SGT D USMC, but I worry your tint may get scratched in the coming future now... did they put any protection (moleskin) or explain to you why the scratch would happen? I agree they should tell you what they're gonna do in advance, and there is a reason why they cut rubber...
Old 05-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deeeeaaaaamn Leather Neck! I can just see it all happening now. Sounds like you went all drill instructor on his ass. You're right though, they shouldn't have cut the plastic at all. If anything they should have added moleskin to it.

BTW-has your window tints scratched yet there Tufflehunden?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you post here in a few weeks complaining about scratches on the tint.

But I agree on all counts through your original post.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

^ yeah....
Old 05-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i applaud your handling of the dealer

although i agree with you, some places do cut the rubber, even though he should have asked you before or talked about it with you, its the one way that ur tint won't scratch...when they redo ur tints talk to the service manager try and get some compensation out of it like moleskin or some free hats or some shit...lol congrats
Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Cut the molding? Thats kinda stupid. I mean, they could at least carefully remove it or something. BTW, there is one member of the forum at Paris Island right now, and I cant wait to enlist, but I am still in HS.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Cut the molding? Thats kinda stupid. I mean, they could at least carefully remove it or something...
IMO. I think the only way to "remove" it or two of them is to "cut". If you cut both of them, you definitely get some problems, such as wet windows, noise, etc.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 PM
White 2000 TL

you did handle it well because they should of asked 1st but instead of getting the molding back i would of asked for something else becuz it can cause a problem for your tint trust me i know i'm pissed cuz i have to pay for my rear windows to be re tinted
Old 05-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Well then how do they put in moles skin. Does it attatchto the rubber ones? Or do they take of the door panel and install it the sameway the factory installs the stock rubber?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

That's the way to do it. Way to handle the situation.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Advanced

That is BS, but good thing you got it handled...

On a side note, Acura doing the tint is BS... I went to a tint shop close by my acura dealership and they told me that they do all the tinting for acura(I know he was telling the truth because they had 2 TL's waiting to be tinted from the dealer in their shop). They charge $249 to get your car tinted, but if you do it through Acura they charged you double that price and take it to the same tinter. The tinter also gives a lifetime guarantee on the tint. Is it just me or do you feel like Acura gets over on you everytime you walk into the dealership.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by yourpoison
That is BS, but good thing you got it handled...

On a side note, Acura doing the tint is BS... I went to a tint shop close by my acura dealership and they told me that they do all the tinting for acura(I know he was telling the truth because they had 2 TL's waiting to be tinted from the dealer in their shop). They charge $249 to get your car tinted, but if you do it through Acura they charged you double that price and take it to the same tinter. The tinter also gives a lifetime guarantee on the tint. Is it just me or do you feel like Acura gets over on you everytime you walk into the dealership.
May I know whether your tint shop put the moleskin/cut the rubber/none? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

How do they do tinting on cars that come with it? That stuff never comes off.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

I have been reading alot about the Acura or TL tinting problems. I really don't understand about the molding or rubber crap. I have been going to this guy I know who tints my window for the past 5 years. TL or no TL, he does it perfectly, so maybe the guys you guys go to (dealership or not) are just a joke, because for me, I've had 4 cars done from this guy and recommended a ton of friends to him. Nobody complained. A few of my friends have CL55s and I doubt their windows are less expensive than ours and they don't complain.

I thought there is only 1 way to tint a window? Just put that damn paper on the window? Why would somebody take off the molding or rubber? WTF????

anyone live in NJ and plan to get their windows tinted, PM me. I'll give you his number, it's a 1 trip deal and you won't complain.

BTW, good yelling. Them dealership fags ought to be yelled at when doing something wrong. Because they charge rediculous fee and you'd expect them to be perfect.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by traidsganster
I have been reading alot about the Acura or TL tinting problems. I really don't understand about the molding or rubber crap. I have been going to this guy I know who tints my window for the past 5 years. TL or no TL, he does it perfectly, so maybe the guys you guys go to (dealership or not) are just a joke, because for me, I've had 4 cars done from this guy and recommended a ton of friends to him. Nobody complained. A few of my friends have CL55s and I doubt their windows are less expensive than ours and they don't complain.

I thought there is only 1 way to tint a window? Just put that damn paper on the window? Why would somebody take off the molding or rubber? WTF????
The area in question is where the molding/seal sits around the rear quarter window. Some installers will just tint the inside of the seal instead of the entire glass leaving a 1/4 in strip area of glass not being tinted. It looks like crap with the seal/molding being visible through the glass. That seal doesn't need to come off and the installer has to work the film under it. The other option is to remove the quarter window, tint it and then reinstall it. The shop who did my tint slid the film under the seal with no problems.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Red face

Originally Posted by traidsganster

anyone live in NJ and plan to get their windows tinted, PM me. I'll give you his number, it's a 1 trip deal and you won't complain.

BTW, good yelling. Them dealership fags ought to be yelled at when doing something wrong. Because they charge rediculous fee and you'd expect them to be perfect.
3GTL and some particular models of BMW?? have teh similar problems. Scratched!! So far, I haven't heard more than 10 people getting no-scratch without any protection or cutting. Even though the moleskin has been put on, some of car owners have been experiencing the scratch, too. Not all the cars use teh same tech or setup onto their windows and doors. The cars we have had in the past never got any problem, too.

Except people never want to lower down windows, sooner or later the scratch "may" happen.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Sorry to hear you had troubles with your dealer. If you had spoken to me in that manner, I would have shown you the door.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:37 PM
9th Gear

I have had road noise after tint-tint shop said nothing was removed that they had only installed "female" velcro to the areas-So what gives with the increased noise?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by duckguy
I have had road noise after tint-tint shop said nothing was removed that they had only installed "female" velcro to the areas-So what gives with the increased noise?
They removed the doors?? Maybe they didn't assemble your doors right?