Sponsored by:

Will a new TL make me forget my CL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will a new TL make me forget my CL?

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this board for a couple of months now, and finally signed up today.

I have three months left on my CL lease. Love that car. Flawless operation for three years. Beautiful design, style, and interior layout IMO. Handling just adequate, but I'm a commuter, not a canyon racer.

I was strongly pulled towards the G35 coupe until I sat in one. The interior is a dog. Then I sat in a new TL while my CL got an oil change. Holy wow. I wasn't thinking sedan, but I am now.

Now I'm thinking new TL in three months.

Any opinions on how my driving experience will compare to the CL? Anybody else move from CL to TL and want to comment? Happy with the change? Unhappy? Feel like you're basically in the same car but with four doors instead of two?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, actually, absolutely.
It's so much better than my CL -S was. The seats were perches; it was noisy, the nose bobbed in rough corners; the stereo sucked in comparison.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

Your CL will be just a dim memory after your first drive!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I went from a CL-S to the 04 TL and as of right now the CL is a fond memory. This car is better in just about everything you can compare. Good luck with your decision, hope you get a TL
Old 01-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Racer

Boy am I glad to be out of a damn two door. The seats are way better in the new TL.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:32 PM
What's a TL?

I certainly loved my '01 CL-s, but not enough to choose it over the new TL if I had the choice. I now have 4 doors in a package that is even less cumbersome than the 2 door model. You get lots of extra space, two extra doors (easier for loading/unloading pass. and cargo) and still have the power and handling in the CL. You will not regret going into the 4 door model..in fact, sometimes I even forget those extra doors are there until I have a need for them, and then I'm really happy they exist.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Advanced

While I don't have either, I can't think of anything in any area that the CL is better than the new TL, unless rear doors would spoil your image. The TL has a more defined and distingished appearence, more elegant and sporty interior, better performance and handling, better refinement, etc.

I you really need two doors, I would also look at the RX-8. Other than power, I believe it is more refined than the Infiniti.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Intermediate

I wasn't a believer until I got one. Now, I just love it. Great ride, very very quiet, good powerband, excellent fuel economy... good all the way.

Get one!

G.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Banned

Hello, and welcome to the forum

Now what was the question? Will the new TL make you forget what?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes.

It sounds like the consensus is that the '04 TL is pretty much a better car than the '01 CL in every significant way. (Of course, it SHOULD be better, it costs several thousand dollars more!)

I guess I'm just a little concerned about the problems people are having (lousy tires, seat memory loss, possible tranny vibrations). I realize that my new TL might not have any of these problems. And even if it would, I'm not sure those problems are big enough to dissuade me.

On the other hand, my CL has been so totally, 100% flawless for three years that I might be spoiled if I buy a TL and everything doesn't work perfectly! Of course, any new car is a gamble. I could just buy out my CL lease - the residual is going to be about $2000 less than the car is worth, mostly because my miles are low and I baby the car.

But, hey, I want a new car! It's one of the few pleasures I get out of working hard every day - and I'm guessing most of you feel the same way.

I also like change, so I guess I'm a little concerned that a new TL might feel like the same old, same old to me after three years with the CL. Doesn't sound like most people on this board feel that way, though.

Anyway, I haven't even test-driven the TL, so that's the next step. (Actually, the next step is the auto show, which comes to Baltimore this weekend. The test drive will come after. I LOVE going to the auto show every year, whether I'm buying or not!)

In the meantime, I'll keep hanging around this board and enjoying all the interesting conversations.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:41 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by DavidNJ
While I don't have either, I can't think of anything in any area that the CL is better than the new TL, unless rear doors would spoil your image. The TL has a more defined and distingished appearence, more elegant and sporty interior, better performance and handling, better refinement, etc.

I you really need two doors, I would also look at the RX-8. Other than power, I believe it is more refined than the Infiniti.
But the Rx-8 is a 4 door not 2 or you could say 1.5 doors on each side.