3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are other TL drivers so unfriendly???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:04 AM
The closet is for wimps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarcus48
Figured I'd chime in on this one. I'm 56, certainly what most of you guys would consider an old guy. But I'm also an enthusiast, I love my car and I've done some simple mods to it. I am fanatical about keeping it clean and shiny. I remember in the past I had a 72 2002Tii BMW, in those days BMW's were rare and 95% of people didn't even know what it was, you'd see another BMW and you'd always wave. The problem is, at least were I live, is that the TL is a fairly common car, and most of the people driving it, could care less.
If I see I nice car that someone obviously cares about, no matter what kind of car it is I can appreciate it. But to most people a car is car. As my wife says "It's just something to get from point a to point b". There have been a couple of times that I've had a fellow TL driver wave at me, but those times are rare, and I've been surprised.
That's what makes forums such as this so great! We're a bunch of people who share their enjoyment of our cars. And if someone sells his TL and buys something else (like a Camry), so be it, best of luck to him.

Also it doesn't bother me to see a younger person driving the same car as me, why should it bother me? Tell you the truth what bothers me is when you see a nice car that's being driven by someone who could care less. How many BMW's or MB's have you seen that are filthy? Wheel all caked up with brake dust, dull paint, birdsh*t all over it, THAT's what bothers me.

Dave
Indeed. When I get my 3G TL, it'll be one of only a very select few in the general area. I've seen only two in this area. One was RRP and the other was SSM. The TL's I'm looking at are RRP, SSM, and AGM.. only the RRP one is a 2005, the others are 2004 with a few more miles.

In addition to what you mentioned about people driving nice cars and not taking care of them, what also bothers me is when I see really nice cars in the student parking lot of area high schools. You know damn well that kid didn't buy it on his own.. it was a handout from mommy and/or daddy. How in the hell can he/she appreciate something he/she didn't have to work hard to afford and buy?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

I'm to the point where I don't even look anymore unless the TL has some nice mods
Old 11-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
May be it's not easy to sell AcuraZine stickers because of the legalities involved. After all you are trying to make money using the Acura (TM) as part of the name.
But acurazine is also another name, its not "acura", so I dont think there should be any issues.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:07 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ubnpast
But acurazine is also another name, its not "acura", so I dont think there should be any issues.
you would think so...but several Toyota forums were ordered to close down because they used of similar issue.

Here is the thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=toyota+forums

If you read further down in the thread, they probably didn't close but were ordered to sign a contract. I would assume this would be trickier if you start selling product using the name.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
I'm to the point where I don't even look anymore unless the TL has some nice mods

Trini! DUDE! And you're the one that started this thread! What's up with that? And I thought we were friends.

Does this mean you won't mean you won't wave to me in my unmodded plain ol' AT non-navi WDP? And I went out last week and bought some nice chrome license plate frames just because of this thread.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by ubnpast
I think if you started "Microsoftzine," Mr. Gates and his attorneys might have a few things to say about it. Such as "Pay up" or "Cease and desist."
Old 11-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rt4563

Trini! DUDE! And you're the one that started this thread! What's up with that? And I thought we were friends.

Does this mean you won't mean you won't wave to me in my unmodded plain ol' AT non-navi WDP? And I went out last week and bought some nice chrome license plate frames just because of this thread.
Hey, you didn't give me a chance to finish my statement.

"...anymore unless the TL has some nice mods or rt4563 is the driver"
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't know I was supposed to waive.

F-that there are too many TL's.... there are like 7 in my neighborhood alone.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:18 PM
•TEAM ACURA•

i owed a jeep wrangler for 13 years. all jeeps wave to each other.. well they usually do. if u have /had a jeep you know what i mean.
when i got my tl i was waiting for other tl-ers to be just as cool. i dont care if they wave or dont , but to notice another car like yours is a good thing.
like someone said b4, if i see a cool tl, iam going to give it a nod or a thumbs up. i would expect the same.

i know other people spot the other tl driving past or near them,, i think they think that not acknowledging them might be a "cool" thing. i dont agree.

i think all cars/suv of the same model/make should give each other props when possible!!!...and stop being a hater!!!!!

as they said in jeep terms....its a jeep thing,, you wouldnt understand!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
As others have said, the TL is a very common car (especially here in the DC area) and it's not an older vehicle whose drivers are a sort of fraternity. I think it would take the TL being discontinued for that to change. When I drive my other car (a 1988 RX-7 convertible) or my brother's 1974 VW Beetle, other people driving the same or similar cars almost always acknowledge me and I think it's because they are older cars, less common on the road than they used to be, and not made anymore. Perhaps the 88ZMZM license plate on the RX-7 helps too. The other thing is that there is something different about those two cars; the Beetle is something of an icon and has nothing comparable on the road today and the RX-7 is a rotary-engined sports car (nobody other than Mazda has sold a rotary). Hence my avatar, BTW.

The TL, in contrast, is still in production and you still see plenty of them from all three generations on the road, and to your average driver on the road the TL is just another Japanese sedan with nothing especially unique or distinctive.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evantec
A lot of people are too lazy to realize that, if they don't die first, they too will become old. And they probably won't want to change their interests either just because they are older.

We're going to see some interesting times when the baby-boomers -- the first generation to really worship youth and be in denial about aging -- hits retirement age and much later on, old age.

Funny, I work in IT where 98% of the people are younger than me. I'm used to being the oldest at work. I always say, "you either get old or die young, I'll take getting old".

One guy was making fun of me calling me "grandpa". I told him, "did you think I thought I'd look like this when I was your age?, THIS IS YOUR FUTURE" LOL

dave
Old 11-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarcus48
Funny, I work in IT where 98% of the people are younger than me. I'm used to being the oldest at work. I always say, "you either get old or die young, I'll take getting old".

One guy was making fun of me calling me "grandpa". I told him, "did you think I thought I'd look like this when I was your age?, THIS IS YOUR FUTURE" LOL

dave
old fart!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by evantec
A lot of people are too lazy to realize that, if they don't die first, they too will become old.
Reminds me of a certain rock band WHO sang the lyric "hope I die before I get old." Keith Moon succeeded in that, but look at Pete Townshend now:

Old 11-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

I only get dirty looks when someone pulls up next to me in a BMW. They must have that complex "someone beat my BMW with a TL"
Old 11-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

I am 59 and I get such a kick out of the "youth movment". As several people noted, if you live long enough you will be one of us. I have a 2G TL which my wife has inherited and while I love and seriously considered buying a 3G TL I wound up with a Toyota Avalon for a number of purely practical reasons. But don't let that fool you, I love sport driving and I have a 1971 Triumph TR6 which I drive as often as I can.

OH, and we always wave at other TR's! (and sometimes MG's)
Old 11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I've figured it out why some drivers wave....

Originally Posted by AcuraDon
...OH, and we always wave at other TR's! (and sometimes MG's)
People with certain types of cars wave to each other because they need to practice waving for help once their [TR, MG, Alfa, Fiat, Jeep, Bug, BMW M, etc.] stops in the middle of the road from an unanticipated malady. This obviously doesn't apply to most TL owners. :wink:
Old 11-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Oh the pain of your comment Will. True but painful BUT.. WORTH it
Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm your huckleberry!

Man the area in St. Louis in which I live in there is a damn TL at every intersection. My wife plays slug-bug with me all of the time when she sees a TL. Damn my arm gets sore.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Here's how it usually goes down,

I'm driving down a street and I see another TL approaching. It just so happens that we both are able to make brief eye-contact. The other person would just turn away immediately and almost appear upset for seeing another person in a TL! This happened to me a good number of times. I'm like jeez! I'm I the only one? Even a simple nodding of the head would be OK w/ me. Even drivers from other car brands are more friendly. For example, a chic from a Saab 9-5 waved at me a time
theye'r prbably a little prude!......Geritol drinkin baby boomers!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You'd be surprised at the number of young RL owners like myself, and the number of geriatric TL owners. Most TL owners I see around here are "old". The other three RL owners I know around here are all in their late 30's to mid-40's--rather younger.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Advanced

I'm in 925 w/ a 2006 Anthracite TL. I've never waved to any other fellow TL's, I'm too busy passing them =) haha jk. Part of me wants to wave, but then I realize that it's just a car. We're not really in some secret society or anything.

Originally Posted by rt4563
That's where my experience differs. I don't see that many TLs where I live (The 925 area code in the Bay Area).

I'm in an area where big beamer and benz sedans are more the norm. Either those or upscale SUVs. Acura has sold the heck out of the MDX around here. Not so the TL. I get excited if I see more than two or three other 3G TLs a day. If the driver of said 3G waves at me I'm like "wheeeee!" Silly, I know, but you take your thrills where you can get them.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
There was this one time when I had my '05 A-Spec, I was tailed by another TL driver for blocks and when I finally stopped at a red light, he pulled up next to me, rolled down his window and motioned for me to do the same. He said, "sorry to chase you down like that, but I love your car and I just HAVE to ask...how do you like them P Zeros??"

I thought that was rather amusing.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Advanced

I agree, most of the drivers that I see are not in their mid-twenties...usually got a few to 20 years on me. I am one of the few, it seems, around here with some mods on mine. I really wish there were a few more around the central valley so we could get together and tune together! Anyways, no one really waves...I do when I am on my motorcycle, but not so much in the car...just not the same! Anyways, anyone in the central valley (Cali) wanna meet up...?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

Unfortunately people in larger cities (Los Angeles) don't really care what you drive even if it's the same car. (Actually they do but only as a comparison to what they have.) I myself do identify with other TLers becuase there are relatively few of us compared to the BMW's, Lexus and Inifinitis and I think it shows that they are smart (hopefully... ) and have a good sense for what looks really cool. I do sometimes feel a bit strange when coming accross another TL because I'm not sure if they have the same affinity as I have to the TL...maybe it's just another "car" to them.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's how it usually goes down,

I'm driving down a street and I see another TL approaching. It just so happens that we both are able to make brief eye-contact. The other person would just turn away immediately and almost appear upset for seeing another person in a TL! This happened to me a good number of times. I'm like jeez! I'm I the only one? Even a simple nodding of the head would be OK w/ me. Even drivers from other car brands are more friendly. For example, a chic from a Saab 9-5 waved at me a time

I have noticed that as well. However, I did get a compliment from another TL owner at Golds gym. I know what you mean though. My buddy had an M3 and now has the Vette and of course everyone notices but when we see other BMW or Vette owners on the road they look and smile and even compliments when we are at a stop light.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by verse101
Part of me wants to wave, but then I realize that it's just a car. We're not really in some secret society or anything.
That must be why I can't find the secret handshake mentioned on the website.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

I say just cut off or do something to get the other TL driver mad, pretty sure they do alot more than just wave to us
Old 11-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Advanced

So I was cruising down 99 this morning to work and pulled up on a WDP TL with some lady in her...I'd say 30's driving. I slowed down a bit to look over and give a hello, nod, wave...whatever. She didn't even acknowledge me. Now that I have read through this thread, I have become more aware of other TL drivers and I do notice a level of arogance amongst our owners...? I know that I love my car and I think it is one of the best on the market today...for the money, but come on...you don't drive a high-end luxury car or some exotic; try not to feel better than everyone around you!!! Anyways, these damn threads make me conscious of crap like this...urgh!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

I always take notice when I see a 2G TL-Type S or a 3G TL is around, but I typically don't go out of my way to wave or anything. Heck, with as many bad drivers and road ragers as there seem to be in my area, I try not to do anything to distract them because they need to pay as much attention to the road as possible!