3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are other TL drivers so unfriendly???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are other TL drivers so unfriendly???

Here's how it usually goes down,

I'm driving down a street and I see another TL approaching. It just so happens that we both are able to make brief eye-contact. The other person would just turn away immediately and almost appear upset for seeing another person in a TL! This happened to me a good number of times. I'm like jeez! I'm I the only one? Even a simple nodding of the head would be OK w/ me. Even drivers from other car brands are more friendly. For example, a chic from a Saab 9-5 waved at me a time
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am friendly to other TL drivers.......maybe you got an ugly mug

Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol everytime I see another person in a TL, its usually a 60 year old gray haired lady. when me and my friends are driving they always make fun of me
Racer

Originally Posted by ding069

hahahah DANG! but yea i agree, i usually try to give a peace of a nod when i pass by other TLers...but yea most of them try to act like they're better than me even though mine looks WAY nicer than theirs. oh well, just keep bein yourself because repentence comes from kindness~
Not a dude.

I promise I'll wave if I see you ...

Seriously, I've wondered the same thing. I'll see another TL, and I'll turn my head to watch it go by and the other driver will be staring straight ahead, oblivious. Usually I think "Oh crap, why is it always some old guy?" and then I immediately realize "I'm an old{ish} woman myself." It's like an issue with me. Sigh.

Of course it's not because I live in the suburbs or anything. Right.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I can't remember what my last response to the TL acknowledgment thread was, but usually I don't care if someone else has the same car. See way too many now.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by subinf
I can't remember what my last response to the TL acknowledgment thread was, but usually I don't care if someone else has the same car. See way too many now.
That's where my experience differs. I don't see that many TLs where I live (The 925 area code in the Bay Area).

I'm in an area where big beamer and benz sedans are more the norm. Either those or upscale SUVs. Acura has sold the heck out of the MDX around here. Not so the TL. I get excited if I see more than two or three other 3G TLs a day. If the driver of said 3G waves at me I'm like "wheeeee!" Silly, I know, but you take your thrills where you can get them.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just keep keeping it real and continue to be the friendly guy you are. It'll get you further in life! I know what your saying about those people though. It's not like they have a limited production car that they paid a forturne for and want to be an elite owner, then see someone with the same car. I think its cool that most of the people on this site have the same respect for other TLers!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Racer

Unhappy

Funny you say that. I used to acknowledge other TL drivers and always received the same cold shoulder treatment. After having that happen so many times, now I just don't look over anymore. BTW, When I used to look, they were always older people including the guy I see in the rear-view mirror all the time.... oh wait, that is me.
Banned

And I always thought I was such a handsome man...lol.
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Most of the time when people are driving their in their own little world. All they want to do is to get where their going. Most people don't look at having the same car as an association with another. Know if both recognize mods, then there's an association.

When I first got my TL I would pull up and talk to people about the mods.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rt4563
I promise I'll wave if I see you ...

Seriously, I've wondered the same thing. I'll see another TL, and I'll turn my head to watch it go by and the other driver will be staring straight ahead, oblivious. Usually I think "Oh crap, why is it always some old guy?" and then I immediately realize "I'm an old{ish} woman myself." It's like an issue with me. Sigh.

Of course it's not because I live in the suburbs or anything. Right.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mavz44
Just keep keeping it real and continue to be the friendly guy you are. It'll get you further in life! I know what your saying about those people though. It's not like they have a limited production car that they paid a forturne for and want to be an elite owner, then see someone with the same car. I think its cool that most of the people on this site have the same respect for other TLers!
I hear you bro
Old 11-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Trucki!!

I don't go out of my way to way, but if they look in my direction I will nod. Around here TL's are mostly corporate raiders that don't care what you have done to your car. Everynow and then I will run into someone that throws a thumbs-up but very rarely.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JJaber06
lol everytime I see another person in a TL, its usually a 60 year old gray haired lady. when me and my friends are driving they always make fun of me
Heh I feel you on that one. 5 times out of 10 it's some granny and 4 times out of 10 it's some gramps. Thus leaving 1 time out of 10 it's actually someone I'd expect to drive a TL (young to middle aged man).

I've always thought of the TL as a "young person's car" because the suspension is REALLY stiff (the stiffiest suspension out of all the cars I test drove: Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, BMW 330i, BMW Z4, Lexus ES 350, Lexus IS 350, Acura TL, Acura RL, Infiniti G35, Toyota Avalon) and because the seats are also the hardest seats out of all the cars I test drove. I might be thinking differently once I'm that age but I'd guess that if I was a gramps, I'd want to drive a car that had much softer seats and a much smoother, quieter, refined ride (a la ES 350). I've always thought of the TL as being muslcar, athletic, sporty; the kind of car that a young person would drive.

So maybe rt4563 can answer my question. What attracted you specifically to the TL and in general, why do you think so many 50+ women drive them?

BTW in Tucson I might see another TL maybe once every other day. American Southwest is pretty economically depressed, not a whole lot of nice cars around here.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I let other TL drivers go and so far they have to me too... So around here they seem to be pretty kind. I even had one guy backup in traffic to let me out of a parking lot.

Mike
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

do you think owning a tl gives you special privileges? My dad always pisses my off in his vette, he always waves to other vette's, does owning one make you the persons friend?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Trucki!!

^^lol

I can understand it with Harley's where they all have this bond, so they waive.

But with a TL I really can't connect the dots
Old 11-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Opium den in

Haha are you signaling to adults? People cant even see me through the 5% tints they just stare in trying to lamely see whos driving.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Maybe its your dreads rude boy
Old 11-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
So maybe rt4563 can answer my question. What attracted you specifically to the TL and in general, why do you think so many 50+ women drive them?
I'd been driving a "mom car" for much too long (my last car was a '98 Explorer god, I can hardly type that ) and I wanted a car for me. My husband is a "truck guy" and he does not care about cars at all. So the car is all mine.

The automotive love of my life was a Porsche 914. Talk about a stiff suspension and hard seats. I drove that car as my daily driver for 15 years, and I cried for two days when it finally fell apart. So I'm used to a stiff suspension. The TL is a Rolls in comparison.

Even though I'm old (not quite a granny, BTW please don't be so judgemental about people who are older than you are) I'm not ready for a squishy-suspension boat of a car. (I'll never admit to being old enough to drive a Buick. )

What about the other cars you mentioned? Personal choice, mostly. I don't like beamers simply because I don't like the attitude of many beamer drivers. I didn't want to be associated with that. That's just my so please no offense to anyone here who owns a beamer. Same thing but not as pronounced for MB's. I considered Audi and Lexus but I think that Acura is a much better value for the money. And possibly most important to me, I love the way the TL looks.

So, bottom line why do you see so many older folks driving TLs? Can't say for sure about anyone else, but if they're like me, they like to drive.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Maybe their too into their TL's
Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd been driving a "mom car" for much too long (my last car was a '98 Explorer god, I can hardly type that ) and I wanted a car for me. My husband is a "truck guy" and he does not care about cars at all. So the car is all mine.

The automotive love of my life was a Porsche 914. Talk about a stiff suspension and hard seats. I drove that car as my daily driver for 15 years, and I cried for two days when it finally fell apart. So I'm used to a stiff suspension. The TL is a Rolls in comparison.

Even though I'm old (not quite a granny, BTW please don't be so judgemental about people who are older than you are) I'm not ready for a squishy-suspension boat of a car. (I'll never admit to being old enough to drive a Buick. )

What about the other cars you mentioned? Personal choice, mostly. I don't like beamers simply because I don't like the attitude of many beamer drivers. I didn't want to be associated with that. That's just my so please no offense to anyone here who owns a beamer. Same thing but not as pronounced for MB's. I considered Audi and Lexus but I think that Acura is a much better value for the money. And possibly most important to me, I love the way the TL looks.

So, bottom line why do you see so many older folks driving TLs? Can't say for sure about anyone else, but if they're like me, they like to drive.
^^ AGREE!

I am not "young" nor "old" - hell, at this point in my life 70 doesn't even seem "all that bad" - LOL.

I believe "older folks" drive the TL because they are sensible and wise; remember, wisdom does come from experience and age. Or so I was once (or twice) told.

I like to not think of myself at 33 being "an older folk" and I still bought the car because Confucious says I am wise girl!

Anyway - here in PA - I deal with the same thing; other TL drivers not wanting to acknowledge anyone but the road ahead. The one day driving home from work I had to pull right up next to another white TL in sitting traffic. I almost felt uncomfortable about it and couldn't wait to get moving. I don't even know why?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Go Black & Gold!

I used to have an acknowledging wave in my last car (2002 Trans Am). All the Firebird/Camaro owners usually wave. It was cool with that car, but I don't know... I guess it just doesn't feel like the kind of car people would normally acknowledge each other in.

I always notice other TL's, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens. If they feel like giving a nod or wave, I'm up for the task. But it only happened twice in the last month.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:45 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

It's all about the marketing, and Acura wasn't aiming at us, as evidenced by the total lack of aftermarket performance parts we all experience.
I have a rule about identifying true "car" people. Not scientific but it's my way and that's if the owner has a aftermarket licence plate holder or not. I don't mean Yankees,"this car stops at tag sales" or Bob's Auto Sales, but a nice aftermarket plate. This usually reflects attention to detail.
Anyways, where I'm going with this is a TL with that attention to detail will be the enthusiast that will wave or acknowledge you and your car, vs. the everyday schmuck that is driving it for the name on the trunk.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced

TLs are everywhere here in N. VA., and just about all of their drivers are older than I am (rarely a grandma/grandpa, but older). I usually just assume most of these people bought it for transportation and that's it, so I never really make an effort to relay some kind of connection to them. Now if one of them threw a signal my way I would glady reciprocate, but I personally have very little motivation to initiate the exchange given the factors I just mentioned.

Oh yeah, and mine's stock, and I plan to keep it that way, so there's nothing about mine that makes it different from any other. With modding comes some degree of automatic cameraderie.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joed40
It's all about the marketing, and Acura wasn't aiming at us, as evidenced by the total lack of aftermarket performance parts we all experience.
I have a rule about identifying true "car" people. Not scientific but it's my way and that's if the owner has a aftermarket licence plate holder or not. I don't mean Yankees,"this car stops at tag sales" or Bob's Auto Sales, but a nice aftermarket plate. This usually reflects attention to detail.
Anyways, where I'm going with this is a TL with that attention to detail will be the enthusiast that will wave or acknowledge you and your car, vs. the everyday schmuck that is driving it for the name on the trunk.
aftermarket license plate holder..what abt the frame i got from my university? i live in california but my school is in the east coast
Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by joed40
I have a rule about identifying true "car" people. Not scientific but it's my way and that's if the owner has a aftermarket licence plate holder or not....
Does this include me, although I paid $3 for my plate cover/frame from an overstock store?
The frame does look pretty good, though- chrome-look plastic with a couple of abstract lines to break up the flat horizontal borders over a clear plate cover.
A couple of TL owners have acknowledged me- one guy and one gal, both Caucasians in their 30's. Otherwise, stock TL owners are like most stock high-volume car owners- it's transportation. BMW M-car, Audi S, special edition and low-volume car owners are probably more likely to be enthusiasts.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by Will Y.
....stock TL owners are like most stock high-volume car owners- it's transportation. BMW M-car, Audi S, special edition and low-volume car owners are probably more likely to be enthusiasts.
People that make generalizations are stupid.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
People that make generalizations are stupid.
Generally, I'd have to agree. :wink:
TL drivers like the car, but most probably don't think of themselves as being in an exclusive club like Nissan Z-car drivers, Buick GNX owners, SHO Taurus pilots or M-3 drivers.
Heck, I'm real friendly-- I wave and smile at every attractive woman, even if she isn't driving a TL...please don't tell my wife...
Old 11-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I was wondering if I was alone on that one. I see a good number of TL's a day and they are all in their own world. Maybe one day I'll see someone from the forum.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
That's where my experience differs. I don't see that many TLs where I live (The 925 area code in the Bay Area).

I'm in an area where big beamer and benz sedans are more the norm. Either those or upscale SUVs. Acura has sold the heck out of the MDX around here. Not so the TL. I get excited if I see more than two or three other 3G TLs a day. If the driver of said 3G waves at me I'm like "wheeeee!" Silly, I know, but you take your thrills where you can get them.

Actually, I don't see many 3G TL's in Marin, its only when I go into the city and the east bay. My main reason for not doing anything is because its a new car. When I drive the 67 Mustang, I usually acknowledge others in old cars, as they do me, but when its a new car...just not the same.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

You waive to people you KNOW, not simply because they have the same kind of car... Sheesshhh, get a life!

PS - Sometimes I waive anyway (and then I wonder... do they think I am crazy?)
Old 11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Yep... I have to agree. The people here on this forum are here because they have a genuine interest in the TL. A lot like motorcyclists... when I'm on the bike everyone waves and waves back, it's a sub-culture of enthusiasts. My belief is that most of the people that own TL's, if asked about the car will say... Yeah... it's a pretty nice car. They won't be able to tell you much or any of the performance details of the car nor do they even care. If the car rides nice, is dependable and projects an appearance of success... that's good enough for them. Waving to someone would mean making some kind of contact with another human being.

...and we certainly don't want any of that stuff happening.

I can see it now... "Honey... would you believe some weirdo in a car just like mine was waving at me!" "The nerve of some people..."
Old 11-16-2006, 05:57 PM
PSW
ANTHRACITE

A buddy of mine drives a Wrangler, and I always thought it was really cool to get waved at by other people driving Wranglers when driving around with him. I think for Wranglers, it's not so much feeling like part of an exclusive club as it is more an acknowledgement of a certain lifestyle you have in common with the other driver.

I waved at a guy once driving a TL with an exhaust in Boston...and then I realized that he realized that I just caught him picking his nose. Your windows weren't THAT tinted, buddy.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by PSW
I waved at a guy once driving a TL with an exhaust in Boston...and then I realized that he realized that I just caught him picking his nose. Your windows weren't THAT tinted, buddy.
I may have to rethink this whole waving at people thing.

"I don't care who you are, that's funny right there."
---- Larry the Cable Guy
Old 11-16-2006, 07:46 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I usually get other TL drivers staring at my car since it's not stock like every one of them that I've seen on the roads. And most of the times that I've driven side by side or going the opposite way as them, I see them looking ahead and not looking anywhere else. If I see another TL going in the same direction, I'll usually speed up to catch a glimpse of who's driving to see whether or not they'll look my way.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

They're too busy trying to figure out where the rattles are coming from

duhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
They're too busy trying to figure out where the rattles are coming from

duhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOL... As mentioned, there are so many TL's in No.VA that you'd be nodding/waving/whatever 10 times during a 30 min commute. Now if I see a modded car, then I definitely look closely and nod.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Screw all de uddiz!

We need ACURAZINE license plate frames and stickiz.

Quick Reply: Why are other TL drivers so unfriendly???