3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't the A-SPEC package add value to a TL???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 AM
05' WDP A-SPEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why doesn't the A-SPEC package add value to a TL???

im just curious why a new TL A-SPEC off the lot is around 42k but i see all these a-spec's on ebay selling for the same price as a regular TL. it makes no sense to me. i bought my 05 tl mt a-spec w/8,000 miles back in feb 05 for $29,500 and thought i was getting steal. i see a-specs on ebay for anywhere between 23k-28k at the most which is the blowing my f'n mind. whats with the dramatic price drop and why does the a-spec package no increase any kind of value? 42k brand new --> 23k-28k used???? thats a loss of like 14k-19k in just a year or 2?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
The Aspec kit is a money maker for the dealers. The parts cost hardly nothing. But the dealer charges double what the parts costs to put them on. The dealer wanted $600.00 to put my Aspec Suspension on. That's $100.00 less than what I paid. I didn't get them from my local dealer, they wanted something like $1050.00 for the parts alone. The Aspec Rims and Suspension can only be sold as a package. The dealers price $2700.00. That's just for parts. Can be found for as little as $2000.00 on ebay.

I'd say the full Aspec Kit (body, suspension and rims) will add some $$ to the value, but not much. And now with the 07's on the market 04-06 prices will come down some.

It also depends private buyer and dealer for prices.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Any non-factory installed options rarely add much value to the car when it comes to resale. Just happens the a-spec kit is a VERY expensive dealer installed option. What you're seeing is probably just the difference between what the kit is worth and what the dealers charge.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Cruisin'

Would you pay more for a car you know had turbo it? or one that was stock?

Personally I wouldn't pay more for a car I know was obviously used for ragging the crap out of, let alone pay more for it.

It wouldn't surprise me that some people would view the Aspec in the same way. IE the owners of Aspec car wouldn't be considered as a normal driver.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Laugh if you like but the value comes for you having something that you think is unique. The next person might like the look but is unwilling to pay a premium to have it. You can either take the money or try to convinence someone else that it's worth paying for.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Cruisin'

When it comes to Mercedes Benz, it seems that the resale of cars that are AMG sell higher in value. It is strange that this doesn't apply to the Acura TL A-SPEC.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It has to have some type of value. Assume someone is loooking for a pre-owned TL, and cant find an a-spec, adding all the parts would still cost 4-5k. I personally, rather buy one installed already for 2-3k more than a regular tl.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rodal126
When it comes to Mercedes Benz, it seems that the resale of cars that are AMG sell higher in value. It is strange that this doesn't apply to the Acura TL A-SPEC.
I'm pretty sure AMG has more then just rims, suspension and a few body work pieces.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
- most people know about AMG etc, not so 'a-spec'. some dealers dont even know what your talking about when you mention it.... why come out with a product and not advertise it?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to agree with MR1. Many on this site have added what they feel to be a personal value to their TL by making mods. My god, just go to the 2007 string, and find those that are adding mods ALREADY! BUT,
If you want to increase your resale value, Take OFF the CAI, headers, etc. before you talk to a dealer. When I added my K&N Typhoon, the dealer says it is policy to assume you are going to race or abuse your car. You better hope nothing happens to your machine that might involve engine/transmission warranty work. If I trade though, the stock intake will go back on. If I sell outright, then maybe not. I feel that it has enhanced the machine, others may not feel that way.
Jupiter, I have to disagree.....I think the high price of the 2007 Type "S" will cause on uptick in the value of '04-'06 TL's with A-spec.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:41 PM
05' WDP A-SPEC

Originally Posted by MR1
Laugh if you like but the value comes for you having something that you think is unique. The next person might like the look but is unwilling to pay a premium to have it. You can either take the money or try to convinence someone else that it's worth paying for.
i completely agree with this statement. i was just hoping that if i kept the thing mint, it would hold its price value down the line if i did ever want to sell it. you know, just drive it in the summer, baby it, keep low miles, and garage it all the time. it sounds like it dont really matter what you do with it. i might as well just drive it all year round and it would be worth the same anyways.

as far as im concerned, this car is still worth ever cent to me. theres maybe 2 other a-specs in my city (fake a-spec's. all they got is the body kit!) and people literally break their necks to look at it everywhere i go telling me how nice of a car it is. having a car no one else has and everyone seems to want makes it all worth while!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Even Acura.com website is tight lip about it, so really there isn’t any material or documentation to verify that A-spec is a legit Acura OEM package. On the other hand when you go to acura.ca it shows A-spec package as part of the build. Weird??
Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
In addition to the rims,seats, gauges, suspension, and body kit, yhe AMG model comes with a high performance engine, - it really is a different MB.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:05 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
let's also remember each AMG engines are hand-built by one tech from beginning to the end.

I like a-spec, but it's pretty far comparing to AMG...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by kennyc
let's also remember each AMG engines are hand-built by one tech from beginning to the end.

I like a-spec, but it's pretty far comparing to AMG...
what about BMW's M series?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ding069
what about BMW's M series?
AMG and M packages are factory performance options. A-spec is a dealer installed aftermarket OEM kit. Big difference.

More like comparing a M3 vs a 330 with a Dinan package. (Though dinan is much better than a-spec) Even if they cost the same installed, which would you be paying more for second hand?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
It has to have some type of value. Assume someone is loooking for a pre-owned TL, and cant find an a-spec, adding all the parts would still cost 4-5k. I personally, rather buy one installed already for 2-3k more than a regular tl.
It's only worth something if the new buyer wants it. This is a basic premise of ANYTHING that has a "value". It doesn't matter what number someone writes down on a piece of paper for something. It ONLY matters what you can actually sell it for.

Would you pay $10,000 for a baseball card? I wouldn't. But, many people would. It's all about who's willing to spend the money, and if you find them to sell it to them.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Advanced

It's worth every penny regardless if it holds it's value or not (although that would be a nice bonus). As far as comparing AMG or M cars to A-Spec, I agree. The A-Spec is a dealer installed option, where AMG and M cars are engineering works of art (not just the mostly show and some go with the A-Spec).

It's worth it IMO to have a car that is more unique than every other TL driving down the street. No disrespect to the standard TL owners, but that is not the type of car owner I am.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:51 PM
acura-cl.com OG

personally, i see a base TL as a blank canvas. the a-spec really transforms the car into something special. it almost looks incomplete without it!

however, an e46 M3 with the euro 19" rims, that car is hot, untouched as is.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
I got a decent trade value on my A-Spec TL. The value is all in what it's worth to the buyer.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:24 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by ding069
personally, i see a base TL as a blank canvas. the a-spec really transforms the car into something special. it almost looks incomplete without it!
I agree 100%, Now that I been able to Apsec my car. I look at it a totally different way. The bodykit and the flare and the rims add a shine that wasn't there with the OEM 5 spokes. The suspension with a RSB.

It hard to see people not adding the Aspec kit. To each their own.

A little self bragging.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
peemp

Originally Posted by edsonfire
im just curious why a new TL A-SPEC off the lot is around 42k but i see all these a-spec's on ebay selling for the same price as a regular TL. it makes no sense to me. i bought my 05 tl mt a-spec w/8,000 miles back in feb 05 for $29,500 and thought i was getting steal. i see a-specs on ebay for anywhere between 23k-28k at the most which is the blowing my f'n mind. whats with the dramatic price drop and why does the a-spec package no increase any kind of value? 42k brand new --> 23k-28k used???? thats a loss of like 14k-19k in just a year or 2?

Your numbers and math are a little jacked-up (a.k.a exaggerated) there my friend.

First, note that you can now purchase an '06 w/ Navi for about $31k, and a halfway smart buyer with an internet connection would be able to equip a TL with all the A-Spec goodies for less than $3k more.

Now the $42k you mentioned is probably FULL RETAIL with everything, only the earliest buyers and biggest toolsheds have actually paid that price.

The $23K on used values you mentioned is probably the bottom end, not even including taxes. And you didn't note that mileage and conditions of the cars too. And it's not "a year or two", since many '04 are already at or pushing 3 years. You get your prices from eBay which is the world of bargain hunters, not representative of the full volume of used TL sales... and are you sure you were looking at CLOSED/ENDED auctions of which reserve prices are met?

Lastly... #1 lesson in money: complaining about price is like complaining about the weather Look around a little more.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:16 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

But the AMG IS an AMG ENGINE!

Benz AMG's have values though. The A-Spec is MOSTLY simple visuals. The AMG Benz's on the other hand include (1) larger higher performance brakes, Hand built engine, suspension tuning. etc. The A-Spec body kit only cost around $700 now-adays. Discount that by 50% (because everything used is 50% lower than new) and you only have about $300 premium for a A-Spec bodykit. There is a steering and suspecion (on some) but that only adds another $300-$400 (similar math) so a TRUE A-Spec is only worth about $600 more than a standard used TL. You are paying for the CAR, not the body kit. Sure, you might find someone who is wiling to spendmore on the A-Spec kit but the reality is finding that one erson could take a while (if you were trying to sell).
Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Benz AMG's have values though. The A-Spec is MOSTLY simple visuals. The AMG Benz's on the other hand include (1) larger higher performance brakes, Hand built engine, suspension tuning. etc. The A-Spec body kit only cost around $700 now-adays. Discount that by 50% (because everything used is 50% lower than new) and you only have about $300 premium for a A-Spec bodykit. There is a steering and suspecion (on some) but that only adds another $300-$400 (similar math) so a TRUE A-Spec is only worth about $600 more than a standard used TL. You are paying for the CAR, not the body kit. Sure, you might find someone who is wiling to spendmore on the A-Spec kit but the reality is finding that one erson could take a while (if you were trying to sell).
you have too look at it from a PACKAGE price...
the a-spec package from a dealer costs $4-5,000. Disocunt that in half for resale and you should be able to get $2-2500, IMO that is.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by ndabunka
no mention of the highest price items of the kit, wheels and tires.