3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you pick Acura-TL over Acura TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 03:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you pick Acura-TL over Acura TSX?

I'm debating to get an Acura-TL or TSX

The Acura-TSX forum users are saying for the cost difference, TSX is way worth it, but I would like to hear what people on this forum says. Thanks for any info.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think its worth it. Up here in Canada the price for a TSX is $34,800 only about 5k difference less than the Base TL (non-Navi).
Old 08-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Disproportionate Member

I wanted a V6. It's as simple as that.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:28 AM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I definately agree with the V6. It completely rules out the TSX as any kind of option.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:39 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

V6 and bigger interior.

Whenever I speak to a TSX owner, I usually hear about how they looked at the TL - and liked it - but couldn't justify spending the extra $6k.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Drifting

I also wanted the V-6. The TSX is a cool looking car, but a 4 banger just doesn't cut it. I don't care if it's got 300hp, a turbo, or whatever...it's still a 4 cyl engine..and doens't have the silky smoothness of a V-6...or a V-12 for that matter....LOL!!
Old 08-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by Pug
V6 and bigger interior.

Whenever I speak to a TSX owner, I usually hear about how they looked at the TL - and liked it - but couldn't justify spending the extra $6k.
Hmmmm.... Just as I looked at the TSX - and liked it - but couldn't justify not spending the extra $6k for the TL. The TL is just so much more car for that amount of money. I love my TL, and would be kicking myself in the butt everytime I saw one if I purchased a TSX instead.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
This is a great question.

I chose the new TL because I was already in a 2G TL and found the features of the new TL so compelling that I had to upgrade early. I never considered the TSX.

I had an opportunity to drive the TSX as a loaner a couple of months ago, and can see why the question comes up. Long story short, the TL is worth the extra money, but you can't go wrong with the TSX either, and I'm considering one for my wife when I need to upgrade her in a year or two. Mostly so I can drive it occasionally.

Long story:

Size. The TSX is only a bit smaller than the TL as far as interior dimensions.

Interior. The interior, while better than adequate, is less rich than the TL. I can't comment on the navi since the car I drove was non-navi. If you use Bluetooth (I do), XM (I do), and DVD-A (I occasionally do), and want them built in to your car, then these make the price differential worth it. OTOH, you can save the money and just use a Bluetooth speakerphone or speaker setup, buy an Delphi Roady for XM, and just continue to listen to CDs as most people aren't buying DVD-As anyway.

Handling. The ride is different from the TL in that the TSX is what I would call "tossable". It is definitely fun to drive in that the handling and steering are more precise than the TL. The steering weight is just right, and there's no "numb" spot in the center of the steering action as in the TL. While the A-Spec package improves the handling somewhat for the TL, you never forget you are driving a heavier car than the TSX. I loved actually using the sport shift to do the shifting myself. The TSX has the best unit I've ever had the pleasure of using--you can shift from 1st to 2nd on your own (the TL insists on doing the 1-2 shift for you :sqnteek: ) and the TSX's sport shift is MUCH more responsive/faster than the TL's. The TL's sport shift clearly needs to be reprogrammed.

Power is pretty good to me. Some complain that the power is lacking, but I disagree. While the car is clearly not as powerful as the TL, it is fun to hear that I-4 winding up. I think the power is more than adequate for most driving needs, even for an enthusiast like me.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Racer

I drove them both.
I liked them both.
But I just couldn't overlook the extra 70 horsepower.
Every time I step on the gas I have no doubt I made the right decision.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

I considered the TSX before I got the TL. The relative lack of torque, smaller interior, and cheaper interior materials (the navi console and buttons are cheap IMHO) were the biggest detractions to the otherwise very good TSX. I also dislike the orientation of the TSX guages. I actually like the TSX's look a little better, but the TL was a better overall choice for my purposes.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Primarily space; my kids are getting bigger so the TSX doesn't fit the bill.
Secondarily power & drivetrain refinement.
Tertially the audio system and HandsFreeLink.

Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Racer

I would have bought the TSX in a heartbeat, but I waited to see what the TL would be like. I could have been really happy with the TSX. Having owned many lower powered cars (Fiat 124, Civic, CRX) that were fun to toss around with rev happy 4 bangers, the TSX is a very refined sport sedan and felt plenty powerful. When the TL came out with more power, comparable handling and IMHO better looking it was no contest. The BT, VC, and 5.1 sound is icing on the cake.

Lakeman
Old 08-07-2004, 09:31 AM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

The only thing I liked better on the TSX was the side view mirror indicators. I wish my TL had them.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Instructor

TSX would be fun to drive with the 6-speed. XM is really cool, and I would miss it. But I think I could be pretty satisfied by a TSX. One thing nobody's mentioning is the build quality. Sorry, but I'm convinced the fit and finish are better on the imported TSX than on the Ohio-built TL.

If I was really in the air on this one I'd consider a loaded Accord V6. The sedan has a great ride and plenty of power, while the 6-spd coupe is designed to feel like a TL. And you'd still get XM. The only thing the Accord's missing is the HID lights. They should make that an option.

The TL's the quietest of the bunch. In fact, that quiet's a bit of a disadvantage to manual shift drivers, because you lose a lot of the audio cues that typically come from engine noise.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Is the TSX the one they give out as a loaner? I don't recall which one I was given, it looked like the TL - sorta, but whatever it was - it was no where in the same class as the TL. It has a whiny sounding 4 cyc., cheap looking - plasticy interior, just junk IMO. If I had the choice to make all over again, I would end up in the TL everytime - regardless of $$ difference. I would consider the 6K additional, less of a waste then the 20+K waste on the TSX. (Again, I am pretty sure it was the TSX - is there another model that matches my experience - RSX?) I dunno. It was such crap I was embarassed to drive it and did not bother to write down the model.

TL is the only choice IMO.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
"Why did you pick Acura-TL over Acura TSX?"

Is this a trick question, or what. I think the reasons are obvious. 70 horsepower, Stereo and multiple other features not on the TSX. Frankly, for the price of a TSX I would have been inclined to buy an Accord EX V6 (or a Maxima).
Old 08-09-2004, 11:01 AM
TL hacker

Being in Canada it was a no-brainer. TSX in Canada aren't available with the Navi. So I checked out the TL (navi package); Navi, DVD-A, Bluetooth, V6 and IMO it looks better (more muscular).
Old 08-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji4861

The Acura-TSX forum users are saying for the cost difference, TSX is way worth it, but I would like to hear what people on this forum says. Thanks for any info.

sorry tsx, tl is V6
Old 08-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Instructor

I only saw women driving the TSX.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Racer

The TL is so rich in standard features, it's well worth the extra money IMO. For those who say they can't justify it, I wonder why they didn't buy a V6 Accord instead of a TSX.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:30 AM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by soljc
The TL is so rich in standard features, it's well worth the extra money IMO. For those who say they can't justify it, I wonder why they didn't buy a V6 Accord instead of a TSX.
Good point! A fully loaded V6 Accord 4 door is almost the same, feature wise, as a TSX except you've now got that hot V6 that'll blow away the TSX. And all for nearly the same price.

In Canada, a fully loaded EX-V6 sedan will run you about $33,000. A base TSX is $34,500. A base TL is $40,000 and the fully loaded TL Navi package is $44,000. Acura's TSX is in direct competition with Honda's Accord while the TL still remains a notch above the two.

PS: Prices are MSRP in Canadian dollars ($)
Old 08-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
:'(

TSX isn't bad..but if you want more power, features, room...go with the TL

I wish they would've made the rear seats fold down
Old 08-09-2004, 12:01 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Is the TSX the one they give out as a loaner? I don't recall which one I was given, it looked like the TL - sorta, but whatever it was - it was no where in the same class as the TL. It has a whiny sounding 4 cyc., cheap looking - plasticy interior, just junk IMO. If I had the choice to make all over again, I would end up in the TL everytime - regardless of $$ difference. I would consider the 6K additional, less of a waste then the 20+K waste on the TSX. (Again, I am pretty sure it was the TSX - is there another model that matches my experience - RSX?) I dunno. It was such crap I was embarassed to drive it and did not bother to write down the model.

TL is the only choice IMO.
Can't believe you couldn't distinguish the RSX and the TSX..*hint* one has 4 doors, the other has 2.

Anyways, back to the original question, I once was an owner of the 02 TL and loved every single mile I put on it, however I was completely compelled by the TSX's design, interior-styling and the price.

I guess it was just a matter of preference.

iamhomin, who sometimes misses his v6.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Racer

TL over TSX

My husband drives a 2002 RSX-S. Although I liked the TSX, I wanted to have
a car substantially different than the RSX-S . . . I think the RSX is too close.

I do like the 6 cyl engine also.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The TSX has a raspy high-RPM 4 cylinder and looks like a truncated Accord (as it is the European/JDM Accord). I felt it was a smaller, lower-end automobile.

Interior fitments also a notch below the TL (including the older-style sunroof controls, light/direction stalks, etc.).

Quite simply the TL competes with the European marques, the TSX is just a sporty Integra sedan replacement.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I just can't distinguish between two pieces of crap I guess.
But now that you explained it - I drove a 4-door one. Pure Junk compared to the TL.

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Can't believe you couldn't distinguish the RSX and the TSX..*hint* one has 4 doors, the other has 2.

Anyways, back to the original question, I once was an owner of the 02 TL and loved every single mile I put on it, however I was completely compelled by the TSX's design, interior-styling and the price.

I guess it was just a matter of preference.

iamhomin, who sometimes misses his v6.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by elbodude
I only saw women driving the TSX.
That is so true out here in Socal. It it mostly college age chics driving the TSX.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:07 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by V6Lover
That is so true out here in Socal. It it mostly college age chics driving the TSX.
Exact opposite here in Toronto. I see mostly men driving them. I sometimes notice them from far away coming in the ooposite direction. at first I say: "Here comes another TL", then I notice the differences as it comes closer and I'm disappointed to see it's just another TSX. By this time, It's got my attention I notice the drivers. Mostly male.

In Canada I seem to notice more girls driving the EL than the TSX. BTW, the EL is a Canadian market only model which is basically a 4 door civic with more bells and whistles.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Yep, there's a cost difference and yep, there's a difference in performance. I believe a lot of folks have test driven both the TSX and the TL. And I suggest you do before deciding. Believe me there is a difference, and you feel it as well as see it. I'm not saying the TSX is a bad car, just the TL is a better car.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Racer

The TSX is under powered, the TL is adequate.

-r
Old 08-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Team Anthracite

because the TL looks better and has better features

mostly the looks though

if the TSX and TL look were swapped, id be driving a tsx
Old 08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Racer

for a little more money - more size, v6, much more comfortable inside.

what i should have looked at a little more closely is a loaded accord v6. i didn't realize the specs are almost identical - i thought they would have made the TL bigger. for your money that might be a better deal.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by V6Lover

agreed.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:55 PM
100k miles club

1) my other cars were all 4 cylinders - i was ready to grow up ( 89 nissan pulsar nx, 2000 civic dx)
2) respect on the road! (rice do not come near me unless it's on a plate or they're really stupid)
3) what V6Lover said
4) i'm a technology geek
5) none of my friends have a TL
6) whatever else everyone says
Old 08-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Racer

In Europe and Japan, TSX is Accord.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by 04tlnbppar
In Europe and Japan, TSX is Accord.
only its far more attractive than the US accord
Old 08-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Red line...use it

I was thinking of the TSX. It drove nice. Enough power in most cases. Among the other things not mentioned above, the TSX does not have the memory support for seats. Does the TSX have the MID??
Interesting though, the gas milage was basically the same between the 6Cyl and 4 cyl. Why go with 4 if same gas mileage????
Old 08-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Shift_faster

Take this from the perspective of a driver who's prior car was a 2000 Altima.

The TSX:
1. Interior. It was almost the exact same size of the Altima, except the driver seat seemed to have less room for shoulder/elbow space. I was looking for something bigger.
2. Styling. I love the way it looks, but I thought the TL styling filled out the lines much better, the TSX was lean, the TL was buff.
3. Inline 4. It was worlds smoother than my 2.4L I4 in the Altima, but I wanted more torque. A big V6 seemed to fit the bill.
4. Accord V6 Coupe. For the same price (maybe slightly less, around $1-2K), I could have gotten an Accord Coupe with a V-6 and 240 horses. The interior quality seemed about the same to me.

Those were my reasons for picking the TL over the TSX. The TL seemed to offer more, especially when I compared the TSX to Honda's own offering, the Accord. Hope this helps.

As someone suggested earlier, go for some test drives. See how it fits you and your wallet. Happy car shopping!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Racer

I was afraid to drive the TSX - I figured I'd like it too much. I needed to buy something bigger, so I got the TL. Unlike a lot of people, I like rev-happy 4 cylinders with good hp and could mostly give a crap about torque. I find them much funner to drive than most sixes. Coming from a 200hp 2.2L Prelude, I'd guess that the TSX would have enough power for most drivers. However, I'm also guessing that the TSX would have a much higher fun-factor than the TL.

BTW - lots of teams in the Speed World Challenge changed from RSXs to TSXs this year. They must be worth something...
Old 08-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Bobz

I liked the TSX and because of the raves in the car mags I drove one with the six speed. Thought it was a great car until I drove the Accord V6 6speed which was faster and less money to boot. Then the new TL came along and I thought it hit the price performance quality sweet spot that the TSX missed. The TSX falls into a no mans land where for the performance it is hard to justify the MSRP and the quality doesn't justify it either. I think that is why TSX sales have suffered whereas TL's are flying off the car lots. This doesn't bode well for TSX resale values down the line. The TSX should have sold for less the the Accord V6 EX!

Quick Reply: Why did you pick Acura-TL over Acura TSX?