Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did they skimp??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Where did they skimp??

Ok I just purchased an '06 TL w/Nav and I'm totally psyched. But for the price I just can't believe how they could squeeze so many features into this car that are usually in much more expensive cars. I seriously can't think of what else I'd want in a car (aside from it drving for me, but that'd be no fun anyway)

So it begs the question, where did Acura skimp on this car? It certainly wasn't the interior, or the engine, so then where?

Aj
Old 12-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most obvious.............the crappy leather they used
Old 12-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

Hopefully you dont have some of the notorious issues:

Rattles, ALL OVER.

Headliner sag.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of areas like:
No low washer fluid light,
No Quality leather,
The radio goes off when you remove the key,
You cant open the doors unless you unlock them first,
No daytime running lights,
No automatic headlights,
No rain sensing wipers,
The trip computer sucks,
No key/remote (they are seperate),

Brett
Old 12-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ajeetm
Ok I just purchased an '06 TL w/Nav and I'm totally psyched. But for the price I just can't believe how they could squeeze so many features into this car that are usually in much more expensive cars. I seriously can't think of what else I'd want in a car (aside from it drving for me, but that'd be no fun anyway)

So it begs the question, where did Acura skimp on this car? It certainly wasn't the interior, or the engine, so then where?

Aj
Crappy leather, Crappy Dash material (it will fade, give it time) and proabbly ont he number of fasteners holding the interior together form the number of squeaks and rattles. Seems they did nto skimp where it counts, the mechanicals!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:45 PM
So Plain.

Originally Posted by Brettg
You cant open the doors unless you unlock them first

god don't you HATE that? that you would actually have to UNLOCK a door to OPEN it. the world is getting so fucking hard for car thieves these days..
Old 12-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Shift_faster

^ I think he meant open it from the inside unless you unlock it first. My dad's Windstar does that, but my Altima or my TL do not. I don't really miss it though.

Trending Topics

Old 12-25-2005, 10:02 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
God...typical...guy comes in and says how wonderful he thinks his car is and immediately there are those that let him know how many problems he has....

Honestly...when I first came here I was all the same way....about four days after I had been reading all the complaints....I wondered why the heck I ever came here.....took me about a month to feel confident about my car again and that my car didnt have all these problems that people constantly complain about NONSTOP. What you will learn very quickly around here....there are a LOT of people here to complain or re-complain over and over about problems over and over and over... Not that there are not an issue or two with what has been pointed out....but dont expect your leather on your seat to fall off or anything....it isnt that bad....and trust me....you can immediately go out and look for squeeks or rattles all over your car and become immediately unhappy...where once you never even knew or perceived you even had a problem? Dont go looking for troubles......you can only make yourself paranoid or unhappy with something you were once thrilled with? If you think you have an issue with something....do a search on it first and look at what has been said and possible solutions....if you go asking where is my problem or where did they skimp...you may find yourself out re-judging or re-assessing things that you never even had a problem with or never perceived you had a problem with in the first place.

For example.....the leather....nobody here really knows that the leather in your car is going to suck.....but dont you have yourself out looking at something you never perceived you had a problem with? I know I did....and as I said...took me a while to decide that these problems did not really exist in my car and made me more paranoid than helped.

Final word...when somebody tells you that something sucks or that there is a HUGE problem with this or that....do a simple search on their SN....often times you can consider your source or reconsider your source as it may be. I am not incinuating that anybody here is leading you wrong...but simply that often times people get so passionate about their cars and their opinions that they sometimes can seem like a broken record constantly taking the negative approach on anything. I say...hey....congrats on your new car purchase and welcome to the club! You couldnt have picked a better car with better value, as you have already mentioned. If you notice any anomoly or anything wierd....deal with it then....dont go looking for problems you may or may not have! Cuts of leather vary from car to car (have personally seen this myself)....so does build quality...so you very well might/might not have or be effected by any of the problems mentioned herein.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
God...typical...guy comes in and says how wonderful he thinks his car is and immediately there are those that let him know how many problems he has....

Honestly...when I first came here I was all the same way....about four days after I had been reading all the complaints....I wondered why the heck I ever came here.....took me about a month to feel confident about my car again and that my car didnt have all these problems that people constantly complain about NONSTOP. What you will learn very quickly around here....there are a LOT of people here to complain or re-complain over and over about problems over and over and over... Not that there are not an issue or two with what has been pointed out....but dont expect your leather on your seat to fall off or anything....it isnt that bad....and trust me....you can immediately go out and look for squeeks or rattles all over your car and become immediately unhappy...where once you never even knew or perceived you even had a problem? Dont go looking for troubles......you can only make yourself paranoid or unhappy with something you were once thrilled with? If you think you have an issue with something....do a search on it first and look at what has been said and possible solutions....if you go asking where is my problem or where did they skimp...you may find yourself out re-judging or re-assessing things that you never even had a problem with or never perceived you had a problem with in the first place.

For example.....the leather....nobody here really knows that the leather in your car is going to suck.....but dont you have yourself out looking at something you never perceived you had a problem with? I know I did....and as I said...took me a while to decide that these problems did not really exist in my car and made me more paranoid than helped.

Final word...when somebody tells you that something sucks or that there is a HUGE problem with this or that....do a simple search on their SN....often times you can consider your source or reconsider your source as it may be. I am not incinuating that anybody here is leading you wrong...but simply that often times people get so passionate about their cars and their opinions that they sometimes can seem like a broken record constantly taking the negative approach on anything. I say...hey....congrats on your new car purchase and welcome to the club! You couldnt have picked a better car with better value, as you have already mentioned. If you notice any anomoly or anything wierd....deal with it then....dont go looking for problems you may or may not have! Cuts of leather vary from car to car (have personally seen this myself)....so does build quality...so you very well might/might not have or be effected by any of the problems mentioned herein.
Not to bash or anything, but the man was asking about the problems. People aren't flaming him.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Nobody's Hero

MichaelBenz

Great post! Well said!

ajeetm

I'm like you. Still amazed at the value (bang for the buck) the TL provides. Some still complain that their 35k car doesn't match up with the options on more expensive vehicles . BTW, Welcome to the board and enjoy that TL!
Old 12-25-2005, 10:20 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by TL trblmkr
Not to bash or anything, but the man was asking about the problems. People aren't flaming him.
Oh...I know....not taken as a bash either...and I know people arent flaming him or treating him badly at all....I'm just telling him...for his own good....dont go looking for problems that you may or may not even have or might not even ever perceive as a problem in the first place...thats all. It seems to be a sure-fire way of becoming unsettled or unsatisfied with something he had originally stated he was thrilled with!
BTW...hope everybodys holidays are going great! Mike
Old 12-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Got Pearl?

Aj
How about this....enjoy it for a couple of months then let us know where YOU think Acura "skimped" on the car.....IMO after about 10k I love it so far.....can't wait for a coupe to come out.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:33 PM
REDBULL///AMG

got an 06 had a 04 niether one had probs, good luck with the car
Old 12-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

My experience with Acura so far

I to am a supporter of the car. I bought a 04 TL w/ navi and put 21000 miles on it in about 18 months. Never took it back to the dealer for anything. Did have an issue with the tires (EL_42s) but took that up with Firestone and they put the Turanza Z-rated on it for installation costs only. That was at 6000 miles and no problems at all except a little hard spotting for the first mile or so and then smooth as can be. No problems with seats,leather, or rattles period. I just gave it to my daughter and bought a new 06 TL w/ navi in a different color and have had it for a month. I love it. I am hoping when it is broken in I still get 30 mpg mixed driving. I had an 03 CL-s with 4 transmissions in 35000 and unloaded it. Did not want my daughter breaking down again. No other issues with it but that and that was enough. If I have an issue with an Acura I will post it here for all to see. But that is only an "IF" right now. Merry Christmas and happy New Year to even the complainers. Remember we all bought the same car. Oh by the way, I have read where people are trying to find things that are new well I do not know if it has been noted yet but the little light above the emergency flasher is new. It is for the air bag for the passengers seta being off.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Instructor

it is front wheel drive and gives you a boring driving experience
Old 12-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Lots of areas like:

Brett
Wow.. someone is used to American cars..
Old 12-26-2005, 01:07 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
aside from the rattles i think acura could have at least made auto headlights. im not lazy as much as i would have expected that to come std. cant really complain though.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Overlord - Team Abyss

What's all the hype with the auto headlights? Are people really that lazy? Honestly, to me , I don't like the idea of auto headlights. I hate when stupid GM cars kick the lights on every time I drive under a bridge!!!!!

Auto headlights to me = LAME!!!!

In terms of other things - I had some rattles with my fairly early build car. 2 trips to the dealer and all is now fine. I also had the sagging headliner - but unless you look for it, you won't even notice it. So my car wasn't perfect - I've never had one that was and I know I never will...
Old 12-26-2005, 02:13 AM
10th Gear

The headlights will turn off when you lock the car with the fob. The car can be set to unlock the doors for certain events, like shifting to Park (not sure about the 6MT for that example).

I'd point at the blind spots / small mirrors (a design decision) and lack of AUX (i.e. mini jack) input on the stereo as the only things I've wanted to fix so far.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

Lots of areas like:
No Quality leather,
No automatic headlights,
No rain sensing wipers,
The trip computer sucks,

Brett
i have every single one of those things except the leather which is wholly opinion based. In my 02 330i. Wooo for bmw
Haha flame suit ON
Old 12-26-2005, 07:27 AM
Racer

Lots of areas like:
No Quality leather,
No automatic headlights,
No rain sensing wipers,
The trip computer sucks,

Brett
I have an 04 TL in Canada and my car may be different but there are some things that I think you've got wrong.
  1. There is a low windshield washer fluid warning....at least in Canada.
  2. Daytime running lights are standard in Canada and there is an automatic shutoff even if you forget to do it and this is programable too.
  3. You can program the car to unlock the doors automatically when you shift into park if that's what you mean.
  4. I find the trip computer pretty good at least for tracking mileage and fuel consumption... the NAVI does a lot to augment it.
  5. As to quality leather, most cars have the leather vinyl combo as standard now...if you look at BMW, Porsche others, you gotta pay a significant premium for the all-leather option...they'd have to up the price the TL to do it.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by easyman1211
i have every single one of those things except the leather which is wholly opinion based. In my 02 330i. Wooo for bmw
Haha flame suit ON
Well....a BMW 330i can optioned very differently...and the standard equipped car has a few shortcomings. Mind you it did very well in the sedan comparison that I think Road and Track did recently, finishing in top place.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by eduardoj
The headlights will turn off when you lock the car with the fob. The car can be set to unlock the doors for certain events, like shifting to Park (not sure about the 6MT for that example).
Press once, and the headlights stay on. Press twice, the system beeps and the lights turn off.

This thread is another classic example of how whiny the 3G owners are. Do you guys ever stop complaining?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
This thread is another classic example of how whiny the 3G owners are. Do you guys ever stop complaining?
no they dont, most will look for threads like this so they can get it all out..
Old 12-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by trancemission
no they dont, most will look for threads like this so they can get it all out..
I'm all about getting it out, but man....
Old 12-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I'm all about getting it out, but man....

yeah I knew this thread would get bad.

at least it hasnt been compared to the lexus yet.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:39 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Yes....and the tragic part is....he asked for where his problems might be? And you know what they say about going looking for problems....look and ye shall find? (maybe when there wasnt even a perceived problem in the first place?) Actually....this thread almost worked in reverse.....he was looking for problems where he can find none?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by TheNip73
So my car wasn't perfect - I've never had one that was and I know I never will...

amen to that!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Dragging knees in

Old 12-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Lots of areas like:
This is arbitrary, I guess this would be a convenience, but honestly, this isn't a must have, I know many cars much more expensive than ours that doesn't have this feature.

No Quality leather
This is your opinion, are you a leather expert to know its low quality? Leather is a natural material, it will have imperfections, if anything, maybe Acura skimped on the cushion, but the leather is fine. If the leather is flawless, I can damn near guarentee you its not real or 100% leather. Be glad leather is standard at no additional charge, go price a 3-series and learn that you'll be paying for leather, and even then its not the most comfortable either.

What the hell is this good for? Usually when you turn something off, it is suppose to, well, go OFF! Is it too much for you to keep your key in the ignition to listen to the radio?! Even if you like this feature, I bet we'd have a lot of donkeys complaining that my battery is dying cause stupid Acura makes the TL where the radio doesn't go off when I remove the key Please...

You cant open the doors unless you unlock them first
This is a safety feature, Acura doesn't want little kids flying out of the car cause they yank on the door handle, stop being lazy and use your hand for once to unlock the doors.

Again, why? Its daytime, it doesn't help your visibility, maybe people could see you better, but the TL is no small car, if they can't see you, they need to get some damn glasses. You have foglights, and even if they aren't placed if your dream location, you have them. If you didn't have foglights and you had DRLs, you would complain that Acura skimped and didn't give fog lights. DRLs are a waste.

No automatic headlights,
No rain sensing wipers,
These two, I can see where you're coming from. The Camry is 1 car that comes with these two features, they are useful, bear safety and aren't too much to ask for. It would be nice for Acura to incorporate these. Did they skimp with these? Probably, but every car has room for improvement.

I don't think they skimped here, it was just stupidity on Honda's part. The Accord has an integrated key, why not the TL? Honda/Acura has a weird way of marketing. Again, if they really did skimp, I could see people complaing that they can't believe they have to pay $500 to replace their integrated key. Its a give and take on this one.

All in all, the point of the thread started was for you people to realize all the things you car DOES have, not what it DOESN'T have. Compare cars in the same class, none of them include as many things as the TL does. On other cars, want HIDs? Extra $$$. want a sunroof? Extra $$$. want fog lights? Extra $$$. want leather? Extra $$$. want sat radio? Extra $$$. Your TL has all these things, and not for extra $$$, try not to forget that...
Old 12-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

^^^^

Old 12-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Also, don't forget, Acura is becoming a pioneer is automotive technology, i.e. Bluetooth, DVD-A, Nav traffic, its the other companies that are following Acura's progress... And they are STANDARD features!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:37 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Actually, if daytime running lights are a MUST for you, leave your friggin lights on! You can turn em off with the key fob as you exit and lock the doors....that will give you constant headlights anyway, about the same as daytimers!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
The only complaint I've got is that birds always target my TL.

CURSE YOU FLYING SCUM!!
Old 12-26-2005, 05:05 PM
5th Gear

I have an 04 with about 24000km logged. Overall I think the buggy is good value but Acura has to do something about the interior. Fit and finish is good but soon after its on the road the RATTLES begin. The dealership has been very accomodating but it took 6 visits to resolve the centre console speaker rattle, 2 visits for the headliner and going in for the third try to correct the glove box rattle. What should I look forward to after 100,000km????

As a side note the correction for the headliner appears to be a total replacement...worked for mine. Crank up the tunes to block out the rattles and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x

Lots of areas like:

Well, its 2006, even chevys have this, its a luxury thing, I never let my fluid get low enough to set it off, but the car should have this feature, i bet the accord has it.

No Quality leather,

Trust me, good leather is hard to miss, the leather on my Jaguar looked like NEW
at 12 years and 140,000 miles.
At 2 years the Passat leather looked better than the TL at 6 months.

The wife runs in to pick something up, I turn the key off, and the radio goes off,
along with everything else, even chevy and VW keep things on till you open the door.

You drop the wife off at the bank, and unless you unlock the doors, no one can get out. Its another luxury thing that I can sit in the running car and she can get out without unlocking all the doors first.

No automatic headlights,

Turning knobs on and off all the time is not something you should HAVE to do on a luxury car, my chevy has auto headlights, the TL should also, not saying you have to use the feature, but its nice to have.

No rain sensing wipers,

The ones on my Passat worked fantastic, and are very handy.
Any high tech car, or luxury car should have these.

The trip computer sucks,

Lots of room for improvement here, why cant I have a perminent outside temp display, why must I use a little button hidden on the dash to scroll through menus
to see what my mpg is, or the outside temp is?
I want to keep my eyes and attention on the road, not menus.

Its 2006 now...

When older low end chevys have more luxury items than the TL, its time to rethink the features that acura is offering on their cars.

Brett
x
Old 12-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

When older low end chevys have more luxury items than the TL, its time to rethink the features that acura is offering on their cars.

welll then get rid of that damn TL and get you a chevy. "An American Revolution"
Old 12-26-2005, 06:43 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if not rwd it should have sh-awd by now
Old 12-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Brettg's preferred instrument panel
Old 12-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Aj
I say this as a satisfied '05 TL owner... you bought a Honda Accord. A lot of those features you like are possible because it shares an economy car platform with a high-volume product. Again, I like my TL. But, if you think it is dramatically underpriced, you aren't looking hard enough. It's a fine car at a good price (assuming we won't take the depreciation hit the 2nd generation owners are)... it just isn't a steal.

Quick Reply: Where did they skimp??