Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did they skimp??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Oh...I know....not taken as a bash either...and I know people arent flaming him or treating him badly at all....I'm just telling him...for his own good....dont go looking for problems that you may or may not even have or might not even ever perceive as a problem in the first place...thats all. It seems to be a sure-fire way of becoming unsettled or unsatisfied with something he had originally stated he was thrilled with!
BTW...hope everybodys holidays are going great! Mike
Wow thanks for all the input guys. Honestly no matter what people say on here every time I sit in that thing I get all psyched up. I just brought the thing home today. My TL and I have spent the entire afternoon in the mountains bonding and now we're totally in love, ok? I just wanted to be prepared for anything signifigant, and based on all the valued feedback from you guys I'm confident there isn't anything that's gonna royally piss me off down the road. I've also got an RSX so I've already come to terms with the rattle percussion ensemble of that car, can't be any worse in a TL. If the leather starts to crack/fade within warranty I'll try to get Acura to replace it for me, they did that for my RSX free of charge. All the other stuff mentioned is no big deal for me.

I'm looking forward to a long happy relationship with my new ride. Thanks again for all the feedback, you guys rock.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
The only complaint I've got is that birds always target my TL.

CURSE YOU FLYING SCUM!!
Lol, I had the same problem when I had a grey car before, I guess they just can't see you. Good thing I got the white TL!!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Wheel Drive at the very least...All Wheel Drive as the optimum.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
if not rwd it should have sh-awd by now
Hi, I'm Reality. Have we met?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Hi, I'm Reality. Have we met?

you always say what Im thinking...
Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Again, why? Its daytime, it doesn't help your visibility, maybe people could see you better, but the TL is no small car, if they can't see you, they need to get some damn glasses. You have foglights, and even if they aren't placed if your dream location, you have them. If you didn't have foglights and you had DRLs, you would complain that Acura skimped and didn't give fog lights. DRLs are a waste.
I'm on the same page on everything else, but just wanted to put in my here. I know you already mentioned this, but I think you're underestimating its function on this issue....

Daytime Running Lights' purpose is not to help you, the driver, see better. Rather, its purpose is to make your presence more visible to other drivers on the road. There are many variables on the road that can make your car virtually invisible to others, such as the sun, window glare, background color/car color, etc, etc. By having DRL, the visibility of your vehicle is significantly increased, and other drivers will be more aware of your presence.

General Motors is the frontier of this concept, and I've read several researches where having DRL decreased the instances of accidents due to decreased visibility of other traffic (and we're only talking about daylight time, where conventional headlights aren't necessary). I can't recall the exact figures, but it was far from negligible, and obviously significant enough to justify the increased costs of installing DRL on every single car GM sells. It's not required by law in the U.S. to have DRL, so other manufacturers just simply don't do it to save costs.

So yeah, anyway... in my opinion, DRL is not exactly a total waste. In fact, I turn on my lights as soon as the sun starts going down so other drivers can see me better... like, to a point that people ask me why I have my lights on when it's not really dark out yet.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
welll then get rid of that damn TL and get you a chevy. "An American Revolution"

Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not saying the TL is a bad car, but they could offer some luxury extras.
The TL is more expensive than cars that have all the things I mentioned.

I did not get the navi, so my car cant be said to have ANY high tech features.
While I can pay extra for the navi/voice command, i can not pay extra to get
the speed sensitive volume or rain sensing wipers...
The Passat had the speed sensitive volume, with 3 levels, and it worked very well.
The TL had speed sensitive wipers (sort of) so the radio could have been added very cheaply, like most of the other options, most of the stuff is already there, solar sensor for the climate control could be used for the headlights...

Then the navi gives you things like gps based adjustment of the climate control system, who needs that (if it does much at all)....???

I good overall car, but a poor list of standard options for a luxury car if you are not ga ga over the navigation system....

Brett
Old 12-27-2005, 08:06 AM
The Flipster

Originally Posted by yatesd
Brettg's preferred instrument panel
And how did you get a pic of my second car ???
Navi goes in the open hole.
Oh...I love my TL....GREAT CAR !!!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will say for the money, the TL/CL have had more problems then most of my cars. Sure it out accelerated some that I have had and offered more features, but at the same time had more rattles. People buy the car for that reason and put up with the potential issues that they may have. Some are rather blind to it at times, but my spouse puts up with a sun roof rattle on her toyota that would drive me insane.

Performance oriented cars will require more maintenance (tires, brakes, etc.). Each car has its weak point or aspect about it. Like TPMS. some people think I got to have it. Same with navi... the looks or whatever. Or even if they know how to get to their destination 99.999% of the time, they will still say one is better for whatever reason even if they do not need it...

For those worried about all this.. go out and get a 4 cyc accord or camry since it will cost less overall.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, our 2005 has no rattles, or any other problems, and that is why we bought it, that and the 6 speed manual transmission.
Otherwise, I would go for the Jaguar S type, or would have kept the passat, or get an audi, or some luxury car....

When we get older, we can get an avalon or buick...

Brett
Old 12-27-2005, 12:27 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I'll tell you all exactly where they've skimped !

- Interior assembly quality with all the rattles and symphony (those little click & tick sounds) of plastic & vinyl parts rubbing together.

- They put the low windshield washer fluid indicator on the Canadian models, so WTF would have been the big deal to put it on ALL 3G TL's?

- Turn signal mirrors. Heck, Acura can put them on the models above AND below (RL & TSX), so why don't we have them too? Despite this, remember, the 3G TL remains THE ONLY CAR ON THE ROAD with front fender side marker lights that don't blink with the turn signals. I fixed that.

- Trip computer in the Nav system. The same optional NAV system on the Accord blows ours away with much more detailed trip info and an instantaneous MPG guage. We paid more than Accord buyers and got less here. My extended middle finger to Acura on this one. Accord owners also get a rear seat that completely folds down.

- A stereo system that can't automatically detect and play MP3's. IN TODAY'S iPOD/MP3 BASED WORLD?

- Cheap seat leather on the '04. I bitched to Acura ROYALLY and a ½ on this one and now have the '05 front seats, a major improvement.

- They put wood (Camel & Parchment) or carbon fiber (Ebony & Quartz) plood in the doors and on the 2 console storage doors, so why not on that area right above the glove box and around the door switches?

- Reduced color choices and combinations on the '06. You should not have to get a black (NBP) or red (RRP) car if you want a camel interior. And why is Carbon Bronze Pearl only available on the TL in Canada (and the '06 Accord in the U.S.) ... and only with the Ebony interior?

- For 2006, BOTH models above and below, the TSX and the RL have a Nav voice control system with more than twice as many speakable commands and Zagat.

- Hiring apathetic lemon brains to answer calls at the Acura Client Services 800#
I SINCERELY HOPE ACURA READS THIS. TRUST ME, THEY KNOW WHO I AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

Those of you that try to justify not having automatic headlights and a windshield washer light are ridiculous.

THAT IS CALLED CUTTING CORNERS, not TL owners being lazy. Why can every piece of shit have those things, yet the TL doesnt? It's simple Acura had to make some choices and excluded those features.

Dont turn this into an argument about the validity of complaints because the reality that you can find features on 10k cars that the TL doesnt have, other than hub caps, is ridiculous.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by TCMS
Those of you that try to justify not having automatic headlights and a windshield washer light are ridiculous.

THAT IS CALLED CUTTING CORNERS, not TL owners being lazy. Why can every piece of shit have those things, yet the TL doesnt? It's simple Acura had to make some choices and excluded those features.

Dont turn this into an argument about the validity of complaints because the reality that you can find features on 10k cars that the TL doesnt have, other than hub caps, is ridiculous.
I agree with you on stuff like the automatic headlights, but like I said, if they can put certain additional features on lower models like the TSX's side mirrors and the Accord's trip computer while charging $thousands less for them, no one can have me accept this as less than a shafting of some sort on Acura's behalf if not an outright slap in the face. My main point is that if you pay more than the lower models, you have the right to expect at least the same or better features than the lower models, NOT LESS!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced

I love my TL. The only things I would have liked to have seen on this car is...
1. Aux input for an MP3 player. I have to use the casssette deck. Either that or have MP3 playback capabilities.
2. Instantaneous MPG guage. Would be nice to see how much gas you're using instantly. I'm sure it's already calculated for the Ave MPG gauge.
3. CD and Radio text display. The NAVI is great, but it would have been awesome to see the song title and artist displayed from the CDs and radio.

Again, nothing is necessary, but would have been cool to have. And I know Acura had to cut corners to make our TL as affordable as possible, but these options doesn't sound like it would have been too expensive to add.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
TL didn't skimp on basics, IMHO

Actually, Acura may have skimped a little here and there on side mirror turn indicators and rain-sensing wipers, but at least you don't have to pay for "option packages" to get more standard luxury items such as leather seats (like BMW 3 series) or number of other items such as sunroof, Bluetooth, etc. (Infiniti G, Cadillac CTS, Mercedes...). Oh, and there is only one standard TL engine which is standard and sufficiently powers the car, compared to aforementioned BMW (325??!), CTS (2.8??!), Mercedes (4 cylinder what??!).
The TL is a pretty nice "base" luxury car, even though we did have to pay for Navigation.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally Posted by TCMS

We'll good thing Acura knows what corners to cut...
Old 12-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheNip73
We'll good thing Acura knows what corners to cut...
Yes, you can say that, for the same money, a VW gives you loads more features,
and they cut costs on all the parts of the car, and they have loads of problems from cheap parts made by the lowest cost vendors.
Temp sensors,
Fuel pumps,
Air injection pumps,
abs computers,
coil packs,
Water pumps,
Timing belt tensioners,
Front suspension parts,
ETC.

I would (did) trade a low washer fluid warning for a fuel pump that lasts longer than 27,000 miles...

Its just a shame you cant buy more options, someone on here was dogging the BMW cars, but at least you can get what you want, even if you have to pay for it, since when is no choice a good thing?

Brett
Old 12-27-2005, 06:50 PM
6th Gear

The all auto manufacturers cut corners.

There are things the TL has that my 40k+ A6 didn't have etc. So did Audi cut corners by making you pay throrugh the nose for options that are srtandard on the TL. My A6 didn't even have automatic headlight either. People complain about cheap leather. well on the Audi it was leahterette, then leather seating surfaces ad an option then full leather seats for thousands more. Rear side airbags on a base A4 can be had for an additional $350 on an Audi or BMW, is that cutting corner too?
Bottom line is it sounds like the same thing to me.

IMHO Acura was after a certain market and they had a have a price in a certain range. They likley did market surveys and included the most desireable features. The other automakers offer a base model with nothing and make you pay for waht you want and somehtings you don't want. It is two different approaches. One maker sets a price point for their product and tries to include the most desireable features for that price, while the others set a basde price which doesn't include much and makes the buyer pay for the features they want.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Where did they skimp? Well, I can't say I have a problem with what they left off given the price, but here are some items:

1) Timing belt instead of a chain (my old Saturn and Maxima had these). Belts are a lot cheaper, but who needs a wrecked engine and $500+ maintanance bill hanging over their heads.
2) Integrated key fob, my sister's accord has one, couldn't be that hard to include.
3) Only one mirror will tilt on reverse, if you park in the city, you moving that switch a couple times a day.
4) Auto up all windows from the key fob (without inserting key in door).
5) Some programming they missed the boat on:
- If the headlights will always go off after locking the car, whats the beeping for?
- When the gas low light goes on, switch the MID to miles left to empty automatically
- When having the Nav show different routes available to destination, give me a time and mileage difference also
6) Felt, a couple cents worth of felt in the right places would keep a lot of the squeaks and rattles out and people happy

Just some items I would like to see added. But the TL is hands down the best buy for the money on the market right now. I assume some the of stuff is what they left out to save some money.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:39 PM
04 NBP 6MT

Is it that hard to fill the windshield wiper fluid every once in a while? I don't miss the supremely annoying low washer fluid beeping alarm and indicator light that came on my old Pontiac Grand Am.

Brett G: If the Passat has so many luxury features, why don't you trade your TL for one? Personally, I prefer a car with a few less features that runs all the time.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
This thread is another classic example of how whiny the 3G owners are. Do you guys ever stop complaining?
No kidding. Daym
Old 12-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Racer

I think they did skimp in the mechanical department

Originally Posted by KeithL
Crappy leather, Crappy Dash material (it will fade, give it time) and proabbly ont he number of fasteners holding the interior together form the number of squeaks and rattles. Seems they did nto skimp where it counts, the mechanicals!
Many things are step back even compared to 2nd Gen TL. Two of those I can think of now are:

1. Rear suspension is not double wisbone. The camber and tor-in changes if you have rearseat passengers, causing the "rear-end swing on bump" problem many people have.

2. Engine mounts are less effective than 2ndGen. They don't damp the engine vibration well. When you start the car on a cold day, the car can rock back and forth by a inch at the moment you turn the ignition key!!!

3. to be added....
Old 12-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
No kidding. Daym

Do us a favor, let Acura know that we shouldnt be sold cars that have half a dozen rattles in less than 6 months. Then I dont think you'll have much of this! Thanks!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Unhappy If you'd read more and posted less....

Originally Posted by DMZ

- Trip computer in the Nav system. The same optional NAV system on the Accord blows ours away with much more detailed trip info and an instantaneous MPG guage. We paid more than Accord buyers and got less here. My extended middle finger to Acura on this one. Accord owners also get a rear seat that completely folds down.

- For 2006, BOTH models above and below, the TSX and the RL have a Nav voice control system with more than twice as many speakable commands and Zagat.

- Cheap seat leather on the '04. I bitched to Acura ROYALLY and a ½ on this one and now have the '05 front seats, a major improvement.

I SINCERELY HOPE ACURA READS THIS. TRUST ME, THEY KNOW WHO I AM.
•The Navi question has already been addressed on this forum. The Accord and TSX got the Navi upgrades because they were older designs by one year than the TL, hence their MMC update came a year sooner. The TL is expected to get the same upgrades in its MMC, next fall for the '07 model year.

•The Navi question has the same answer as the Navi question. (Why did it rate two bullet points? Just like to complain? Hmmmm....)

•The leather problem was addressed as soon as it emerged as a problem, after the first model year. How responsive is responsive enough for you?

I'll bet Acura knows who you are. I don't, however, know why you're proud of it.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Banned

I think I can speak for just about EVERY Acura TL owner in the 3G section. Yes, the car has some problems, thankfully they're nothing major like you see in our German counterparts. We have longevity unlike the Americans, and forget the features we get for this price, we blow them all out.

I would absolutely buy the TL again, I just wish that service was a little better, nothing more.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Thumbs down And furthermore...

Originally Posted by DMZ

My extended middle finger to Acura on this one. Accord owners also get a rear seat that completely folds down.
This question, too, has been addressed previously in the Forums. More than once. The TL has an additional brace behind the rear seatback for additional structural rigidity, which precludes a fold-down seatback. It's part of the car's luxo-sport emphasis.

What next, you gonna give Acura more lewd gestures because they need premium fuel to deliver 258 horsepower?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Racer

Interesting question and some really interesting answers.

I've got a four month old '05 5AT - Anthracite/Ebony (no Nav). I traded in a 2001 CL Type S for it.

I absolutely love my car. So far the only problem I see is the piece of headliner covering the CHMSL is beginning to sag. I'll get that fixed at some point at my local dealer - Walker Acura in Metairie, LA. I have always been treated with courtesy there and have nothing but good things to say about them.

That being said, I'm sure there are others with horror stories about Walker specifically and the TL in general. Over the course of an annual production run, some bad ones are going to get out. How many components make up a car? Out of the tens of thousands, one single failure can make a bad day.

That's not an excuse, just an explanation. Anything going wrong with a 30K+ car is disappointing. Keep in mind though, that cars are much more sophisticated than they were even five years ago. MY '05 TL is head and shoulders above my '01 CL.

One other thing to consider - there seems to be an inordinate number of young and first-time new car buyers on this board. Maybe their expectations are set just a little too high. It still amazes me how a twenty-something can afford such an expensive car - more power to them!

Maybe my perceptions have a lot to do with history. Here's the breakdown of the cars I've owned:

'73 Civic (Used - purchased in 1976; first car)
'79 Civic CVCC 5 speed
'81 Civic
'83 RX-7
'85 Supra
'87 Prelude
'89 Integra
'93 Prelude
'97 Maxima SE
'01 CL Type-S
'05 TL

Imagine a car with no cruise, and AM radio and roll-up windows. My 13 year-old rode in an old Pontiac last week with roll-up windows and was fascinated!

It all comes down to perspective. Any problem with our cars is disappointing, but hopefully not the end of the world. I've been lucky in the sense that my only real problem with any of my cars was the transmission on my CL, and that was covered by the warranty.

Enjoy your car; I personally think they are great. Nothing comes close for the money. Expect minor problems, but don't kid yourself that their won't be some problems.

Also keep in mind this is a very open forum. I doubt seriously if a G35 or 325 owner would ever admit to having problems to a TL owner.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Nobody's Hero

Originally Posted by your_mom
Personally, I prefer a car with a few less features that runs all the time.
Amen!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Dragging knees in

I have a suggestion. All you whiners get together on an island and BUILD A FUCKING CAR BY YOURSELVES.

It's not a Bentley. It will have some things that others cars don't, and vice versa. Face reality and stop whining.

If you are REALLY that unhappy, then you should've done your research and not bought the TL in the first place. For Pete's sake, you're only bitching about your own lack of research, and showing us your ability to bitch and moan like a bitchy teenager on PMS.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by your_mom
Is it that hard to fill the windshield wiper fluid every once in a while? I don't miss the supremely annoying low washer fluid beeping alarm and indicator light that came on my old Pontiac Grand Am.

Brett G: If the Passat has so many luxury features, why don't you trade your TL for one? Personally, I prefer a car with a few less features that runs all the time.
Using the same logic, is it really that hard to roll up windows manualy, or manualy lock the doors, and who really needs a remote entry setup anyway.

I traded my passat for the TL because it was always broke, but I did enjoy the many extra features it had.
My car before that was a Jaguar, so I have gotten spoiled, it depends on where you are coming from, a pontiac or a Jaguar/passat.
I am not complaining about the car as it is, mine has been trouble and rattle free,
it just would have been nice to be able to buy some features one might want, or it would have been nice for Acura to add lots of them for say another $50.00.

I researched the car before I got it, and test drove about 5 of them, and its the best one out there with 4 doors, front wheel drive and a manual transmission.

I am not sure why some people get so bent out of shape by other people talking about cars, no car is perfect, all cars have some flaw or option that is not avalable, and most cars have some strong points, even if its low price.

What is the point of the 3rd gen list if not to talk about the cars?

Brett
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brettg
Yes, you can say that, for the same money, a VW gives you loads more features,
and they cut costs on all the parts of the car, and they have loads of problems from cheap parts made by the lowest cost vendors.
Temp sensors,
Fuel pumps,
Air injection pumps,
abs computers,
coil packs,
Water pumps,
Timing belt tensioners,
Front suspension parts,
ETC.

I would (did) trade a low washer fluid warning for a fuel pump that lasts longer than 27,000 miles...

Its just a shame you cant buy more options, someone on here was dogging the BMW cars, but at least you can get what you want, even if you have to pay for it, since when is no choice a good thing?

Brett

Why are you complaining about something that you should have done BEFORE you bought the car? Research People! IF you didnt know it had these options its your own damn fault. If you did then why complain. Either way looks like you prefer ALL other cars besides your own. So do us a favor.. trade in your car and go with something you actually like. OH and everyone else who posts and add/agrees with Brett and is new to the forums(less then 50 posts) no offense but your probably from another car forum causing havok. if not then Welcome to the car you already hate!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Instructor

cry cry cry why can't everyone just be happy with their cars got to keep comparing them to others. just love what you have and be lucky your not stuck with buy one get one free daewoos!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TL'n IT UP
Why are you complaining about something that you should have done BEFORE you bought the car? Research People! IF you didnt know it had these options its your own damn fault. If you did then why complain. Either way looks like you prefer ALL other cars besides your own. So do us a favor.. trade in your car and go with something you actually like. OH and everyone else who posts and add/agrees with Brett and is new to the forums(less then 50 posts) no offense but your probably from another car forum causing havok. if not then Welcome to the car you already hate!
Guess you did not bother to read the previous post.

I guess there is no reason to ever come out with the 4th gen tl, since we all have to be happy about every single thing the 3rd gen has or does not have.

Brett
Old 12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Brett-
Yeah I didnt see your other post since we were 3 min apart from another but... Your right why be happy with a 35k dollar car that you own now, when you can just wait for 4th gen to see what else we can complain about!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

OK I understand those are cost cutting measures they've used to keep the price down. Do you ever wonder why everyone sees TL as "unbelievable value for the money"?

RDS/CD Text
Better Trip Computer
Auto Light/Wiper
Non- Double Wishbone Suspension on rear as someone mentioned
Standard Ipod integration
Engine Mounts as someone mentioned
No chrome garnishes like VWs
Side mirror blinker

Now, What the heck are you complaining these for? These aren't cost cutting measures. It's what Acura thought would be better, not they skimped on.

Keyfob being seperate from the key
Only one mirror folding down
Rattles - you can install a trim piece the exact same way and one may rattle while other may not
Leather/Vinyl combo - majority does it so it's standard
Color Choices available to you
All the stupid reasons people brought up which doesn't relate to keeping cost low

It's hilarious how people write responses that doesn't answer the original question. Go get a Chevy if you don't like TL. Go have fun in new Impala and stop complaining about the "Inferior-so-you-think" product.

Only case I would be ever dissapointed in a car is if my auto tranny broke after only 30k. Now that you really have to complain.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Columbia Univ. c/o 2004

Congrats Ajeetm. You have nothing to be doubtful of.

Don't concern yourself too much with where the manufacturer may have "skimp" with the making of this car. Take MichaelBenz's advice and don't go out looking for potential problems (that otherwise wouldn't be one). Its a good buy all around.

As to my review, I can only disclose to you my constructive opinion as to what this car means to me. After 27K miles, I can honestly say that I am please with the vehicle and don't have regrets with the purchase. I also own a '03 CL-S, and I love the 3rd Gen. TL more in practical every way.

The miscellaneous issues that some parties have noted, are marginal and irrevalent to me. I don't notice most them and if/when I do, they're easily tolerable. I'm sure you'll find that such issues are only slight imperfections and doesn't really negate the pleasure of owning a TL. The car's integrity still holds true with me and I'm sure its the same with many proud TL owners. Plus, keep in mind that the total package in exchange for the price that you paid for is really uncomparable to any other competitor. We all should be thrilled and acknowledge that.

Also, any slight imperfection that you or someone else may find is likely prevelant in other cars as well. A friend of mines recently bought a beautiful 2005 GS430 that shared many of the suggested problems that some members find so irritating with their TLs. Hence, understand that the TL and Acura's are not the only makes/models that carries imperfections. All cars will have some form of flaw(s) and all manufacturers will take some procedure to cut corners. Its the nature of the business and a means to increase their profit margin.

To members who find any element of the TL intolerable, then trade your car in and find something that suits you better. I mean, if your so unhappy with the TL, then simply acquire something that you "perceived" to be superior and have someone who really deserves the TL inherit yours. I don't comment on this forum as often as many of you, but ever since I've joined the 3rd Gen. forum, I've been witnessing a lot of bitching about absolutely nothing. And its funny how the complaints tend to originate from the same individuals. So (to those individuals) if your that dissatisfied with the TL, then by all means, please move on and acquire another car and I'm sure that you'll find yourself with similar complaints in that vehicle as well. From there you can complained about that car in another forum and retire yourself from the acura family. Perhaps then you'll find a source a nostalgia for the TL.

As to ajeetm, enjoy your TL as I am loving mines. Enjoy acurazine as you will find many auto enthuasist on here that can offer you friendly advice. But please do not be misguided by some individuals who only seek to interject derogatory remarks that don't play entirely true or significant. Enjoy your car, take care of it, and judge for yourself.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ

-

- Turn signal mirrors. Heck, Acura can put them on the models above AND below (RL & TSX), so why don't we have them too? Despite this, remember, the 3G TL remains THE ONLY CAR ON THE ROAD with front fender side marker lights that don't blink with the turn signals. I fixed that.

-
- They put wood (Camel & Parchment) or carbon fiber (Ebony & Quartz) plood in the doors and on the 2 console storage doors, so why not on that area right above the glove box and around the door switches?

- Reduced color choices and combinations on the '06. You should not have to get a black (NBP) or red (RRP) car if you want a camel interior. And why is Carbon Bronze Pearl only available on the TL in Canada (and the '06 Accord in the U.S.) ... and only with the Ebony interior?

HOPE ACURA READS THIS. TRUST ME, THEY KNOW WHO I AM.

these don't sound like they skimped out...they sound like design choices.......
and from the sound of your last statement.....your probably never happy
Old 12-28-2005, 11:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,284 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Well written, I also agree.

Originally Posted by architectonic
Don't concern yourself too much with where the manufacturer may have "skimp" with the making of this car. Take MichaelBenz's advice and don't go out looking for potential problems (that otherwise wouldn't be one). Its a good buy all around.

As to my review, I can only disclose to you my constructive opinion as to what this car means to me. After 27K miles, I can honestly say that I am please with the vehicle and don't have regrets with the purchase. I also own a '03 CL-S, and I love the 3rd Gen. TL more in practical every way.

The miscellaneous issues that some parties have noted, are marginal and irrevalent to me. I don't notice most them and if/when I do, they're easily tolerable. I'm sure you'll find that such issues are only slight imperfections and doesn't really negate the pleasure of owning a TL. The car's integrity still holds true with me and I'm sure its the same with many proud TL owners. Plus, keep in mind that the total package in exchange for the price that you paid for is really uncomparable to any other competitor. We all should be thrilled and acknowledge that.

Also, any slight imperfection that you or someone else may find is likely prevelant in other cars as well. A friend of mines recently bought a beautiful 2005 GS430 that shared many of the suggested problems that some members find so irritating with their TLs. Hence, understand that the TL and Acura's are not the only makes/models that carries imperfections. All cars will have some form of flaw(s) and all manufacturers will take some procedure to cut corners. Its the nature of the business and a means to increase their profit margin.

To members who find any element of the TL intolerable, then trade your car in and find something that suits you better. I mean, if your so unhappy with the TL, then simply acquire something that you "perceived" to be superior and have someone who really deserves the TL inherit yours. I don't comment on this forum as often as many of you, but ever since I've joined the 3rd Gen. forum, I've been witnessing a lot of bitching about absolutely nothing. And its funny how the complaints tend to originate from the same individuals. So (to those individuals) if your that dissatisfied with the TL, then by all means, please move on and acquire another car and I'm sure that you'll find yourself with similar complaints in that vehicle as well. From there you can complained about that car in another forum and retire yourself from the acura family. Perhaps then you'll find a source a nostalgia for the TL.

As to ajeetm, enjoy your TL as I am loving mines. Enjoy acurazine as you will find many auto enthuasist on here that can offer you friendly advice. But please do not be misguided by some individuals who only seek to interject derogatory remarks that don't play entirely true or significant. Enjoy your car, take care of it, and judge for yourself.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

Originally Posted by BayshoreAcuraNY
these don't sound like they skimped out...they sound like design choices.......
Exactly my point. I believe original question is "where did acura skimped"

IMO, only bitching should be limited to one of these
1. Auto Tranny Failed (poor guy, are we on round 2 or is it random occurance?)
2. Battery died in xx months (make sure you didn't do anything wrong before complaining)
3. VSA locked up one wheel and you almost killed yourself (ok.... this is scary stuff)
4. EL-42 tires (I got MXM4 but given great number of cases, I believe it's true)
5. Vibrations (this is gettting ambigous area, if it's really bad then you can get it checked)

Quick Reply: Where did they skimp??