Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the aftermarket????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 02:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Where is the aftermarket????

I just picked up my black 2004TL with the A-Spec and I love it.
But I really wish it had a few more ponies (I bought this instead of an Audi S-4 because the local Audi dealer could not get me the S-4 I wanted and the Acura dealer gave me close to $2K off MSRP if I took one sans Navi). I know these guys make 270HPish stock
but is there any aftermarket support yet to bump this up to 300HP+? I'd really like to see a small Roots type blower but I realize it might be forever until something like that comes out.
However, there has to be someone making headers and a more efficient exhaust (screw the warranty) for this awesome vehicle.
Something that would give me a 10-15HP net at the front wheels, right? Somewhere? Help?!? I love the car, there is not a thing about it I do not like except it is just a little too slow and I am tired of being dusted by M-3's, E-55's and the like (screw them Teutonic bastards!!!). What can I do to make my TL scream like a samurai? It looks the part with the A-spec kit and handles like a dream (I forget I am ina FWD car sometimes) but it needs just a wee bit more in the muscle dept. Anyone know of ANY company?
Or any company planning support? TIA guys and keep all 4 tires to the pavement right side up.

BWK
Old 01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headers and exhaust shouldn't void your warranty.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:47 PM
10th Gear

OK, but does anyone even make them?
Old 01-06-2004, 03:13 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

TL and the new S4 aren't even in the same catagory! The new S4 is a V8 with 350 ponies and 4-wheel drive. You'll NEVER catch one in a TL. Then again the new S4 is also $48K so it's at least 50% more expensive too. As far as tuning a car that has only been on the market 4 months...No, there's not a lot out there (yet). One guy on here is submitting his to experiment with any boost he can get from a cold air induction system but if I understand correctly, airflow was one of the things that helped get the current TL the additional 10HP already so that may not provide the ponies we want. However, since the new TL is based on the existing Accord chassis, there may be other things you can do. Specifically, the new TL has three (no, I DID say three) catalytic convertors. All that fuel efficency has GOT to be robbing "some" power. Maybe you could pull them off and give us the results of a header upgrade? Of course, if you want that now, you may have t build it from scratch yourself until one of the tuners is able to get too it. Would like to see what that would give us. I expect that S/C or turbos are also in our future but it may be a year or two before they arrive.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:19 PM
10th Gear

If I could get a S/C to give me 30HP more I'd be happy.

Try to by a new S-4 for $48K. For a stripped one maybe.

Tom Wood Audi in Indianapolis told me if I ordered in December I might have seen it end of April start of May. They could not get me one (unless I would accepted one in "Imola Yellow" as an Avant wagon). Sticker was close to $52K. I loaded my TL with the A-Spec and every other option accept Navi and it was almost $12K less.

I suspect for $12K I could eventually get a lot of performance upgrades (not saying I'd spend that much but I would drop $4K for a blower that gave me 30HP+ and another $1-$2K on a better exhaust that added 10-15HP).

This car (the TL) has a lot of potential. I bet we will see a lot of 300HP+ hyped out versions.

Originally posted by ndabunka
TL and the new S4 aren't even in the same catagory! The new S4 is a V8 with 350 ponies and 4-wheel drive. You'll NEVER catch one in a TL. Then again the new S4 is also $48K so it's at least 50% more expensive too. As far as tuning a car that has only been on the market 4 months...No, there's not a lot out there (yet). One guy on here is submitting his to experiment with any boost he can get from a cold air induction system but if I understand correctly, airflow was one of the things that helped get the current TL the additional 10HP already so that may not provide the ponies we want. However, since the new TL is based on the existing Accord chassis, there may be other things you can do. Specifically, the new TL has three (no, I DID say three) catalytic convertors. All that fuel efficency has GOT to be robbing "some" power. Maybe you could pull them off and give us the results of a header upgrade? Of course, if you want that now, you may have t build it from scratch yourself until one of the tuners is able to get too it. Would like to see what that would give us. I expect that S/C or turbos are also in our future but it may be a year or two before they arrive.
:wow: :wow:
Old 01-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like someone has money to burn. Must be nice.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I agree that this car has alot of potential. The S/C for these might be $8K though instead of $4K. The Audi dealer here in Charlotte, NC had a VERY sharp bright red S4 on their lot in December and I think it was pretty basic (as far as that car goes it already comes with a lot of stuff). Window was around $52 but when he realized I wasn't biting on the older S4's and had pretty much eliminated the new model A4 (not enough power) he said he could "probably" get me into that new S4 for $48K if I was interested. Didn't hurt that I was driving my 2001 CLK55 at the time and the new S4 was one of the few cars that could take it on (both 350HP and similar torque but the S4 has AWD whereas the Merc only had RWD). However, like you I was not looking to buy another $50K car at the time. I needed/wanted a performance sedan in a reasonable price range so I bought the TL... VERY happy I did!

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2004, 05:01 PM
10th Gear

ECU flash-will let u know

Straight pipes - bad idea
unless u have mucho patience...don't do it

check engine will be imprinted into.your sleep
Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
wait do u have a 6spd or auto?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:09 PM
whut

Originally posted by BLACK2004TL
If I could get a S/C to give me 30HP more I'd be happy.

Try to by a new S-4 for $48K. For a stripped one maybe.

Tom Wood Audi in Indianapolis told me if I ordered in December I might have seen it end of April start of May. They could not get me one (unless I would accepted one in "Imola Yellow" as an Avant wagon). Sticker was close to $52K. I loaded my TL with the A-Spec and every other option accept Navi and it was almost $12K less.

I suspect for $12K I could eventually get a lot of performance upgrades (not saying I'd spend that much but I would drop $4K for a blower that gave me 30HP+ and another $1-$2K on a better exhaust that added 10-15HP).

This car (the TL) has a lot of potential. I bet we will see a lot of 300HP+ hyped out versions.

:wow: :wow:
I'm a new TL owner but also the owner of a 2g turbo DSM. I'm not optimistic that there will be any big easy horsepower to find with this engine, and 10-15 hp from an exhaust upgrade is pretty damn optimistic (maybe with forced induction). I'm a little spoiled because I'm used to getting 30 hp with an intake and manual boost control for a total of $150, but that's a different animal.

Anyway, I hope I'm completely wrong. I'll be among the first to jump on the bandwagon if there's some decent hp to be found in the fuel maps or by unchoking the exhaust.

Ascended Sayian: there's a very easy cheater circuit you can make with $5.00 in Radio Shack parts that'll get rid of that nasty check engine light. I made one for my DSM after going straight pipe. I suspect it would work for Acura's ECU as well since it sends a standard O2 sensor signal.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SlntSam
Headers and exhaust shouldn't void your warranty.
Has anyone notice the front manifold is different compared to a 03 TL-S? It is.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Banned

Well my CL-S gained almost 30 hp from just headers.

Went from 15.2 at 94 mph to 14.4 at 99.8 mph.

Originally posted by theslik1
I'm a new TL owner but also the owner of a 2g turbo DSM. I'm not optimistic that there will be any big easy horsepower to find with this engine, and 10-15 hp from an exhaust upgrade is pretty damn optimistic (maybe with forced induction). I'm a little spoiled because I'm used to getting 30 hp with an intake and manual boost control for a total of $150, but that's a different animal.

Anyway, I hope I'm completely wrong. I'll be among the first to jump on the bandwagon if there's some decent hp to be found in the fuel maps or by unchoking the exhaust.

Ascended Sayian: there's a very easy cheater circuit you can make with $5.00 in Radio Shack parts that'll get rid of that nasty check engine light. I made one for my DSM after going straight pipe. I suspect it would work for Acura's ECU as well since it sends a standard O2 sensor signal.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Like a mideget on a moped

question... i dont nkow if anyone brought it up before i have been away for a while but... if the new tl has the same motor as the 03 tl-s wouldnt the 03 S/C work with the 04? might be a size problem?... or maybe not? Eddie
Old 01-06-2004, 09:35 PM
whut

Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
Well my CL-S gained almost 30 hp from just headers.

Went from 15.2 at 94 mph to 14.4 at 99.8 mph.
Excellent! I hope the '04's can find the same gains.

Is the power even peakier with headers, and how was torque affected?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by theslik1
Excellent! I hope the '04's can find the same gains.

Is the power even peakier with headers, and how was torque affected?
Power was mostly increaed in the vtec range. TQ was also increased.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:06 PM
10th Gear

Auto...if a S/C comes out that gets 30HP or better at the wheels I am buying it as long as it is "under the hood".

BK

Originally posted by unsure
wait do u have a 6spd or auto?