3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a way to start off the morning . . . wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
What a way to start off the morning . . . wrong!

I had pulled into the company's parking garage and decided to park in reverse like I always do. Instead of watching the rearview mirror to see how close I would get to the wall before I stop, I was looking at the damn line! Needless to say, I ran into the wall and now my rear bumper has indentations. I'll take pics and post them later since my camera phone blows.

If I were to get it repainted, it seems like it'll cost me between $300 - $500 after doing some searches on here. After you all see the pics, I would like to know what would be the best course of action for this "damaged" bumper.

I guess back up sensors would've saved me, but they look so ugly.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mn2trance
I'll take ugly over a beat up car any day. Almost 2 years and I can still back up without looking. The sensors tell me exactly where I am in relation to anything in the way just by the sound.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I had pulled into the company's parking garage and decided to park in reverse like I always do. Instead of watching the rearview mirror to see how close I would get to the wall before I stop, I was looking at the damn line! Needless to say, I ran into the wall and now my rear bumper has indentations. I'll take pics and post them later since my camera phone blows.

If I were to get it repainted, it seems like it'll cost me between $300 - $500 after doing some searches on here. After you all see the pics, I would like to know what would be the best course of action for this "damaged" bumper.

Got those indentations too. The truck in the space behind me literraly had his hood about 1/3 of the way into my parking spot. Of course I dind't find that out until AFTER I bumped into its liscense plate cover. Check out My Thread
Old 07-27-2005, 08:25 AM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
Got those indentations too. The truck in the space behind me literraly had his hood about 1/3 of the way into my parking spot. Of course I dind't find that out until AFTER I bumped into its liscense plate cover. Check out My Thread
Yeah, I saw those pics when you had first posted them. However, yours looked pretty tame compared to mine. BTW, did you get it repaired or did you get over it after awhile?

There's a digicam here at work. I'll use that and upload it during lunch time.

I can't believe I was so careless. Like most TL owners, I'm very careful when it comes to caring for our cars. UGH!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Safety Car

Yeah, I saw those pics when you had first posted them. However, yours looked pretty tame compared to mine. BTW, did you get it repaired or did you get over it after awhile?

There's a digicam here at work. I'll use that and upload it during lunch time.

I can't believe I was so careless. Like most TL owners, I'm very careful when it comes to caring for our cars. UGH!
I never got it fixed. I eventually got over it, still bothers me a little when I look at it though. Its a real bad feeling when something happens to my car and I know that I did it.

I tried the touch up paint from Acura, but it made it look even worse so I just took it off. Metallic paints are very hard to touch up.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 AM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
Its a real bad feeling when something happens to my car and I know that I did it.
I know exactly what you mean.

Thanks for letting me know that Acura's touch up paint won't help me in my situation. I was thinking that route, too.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:13 AM
HMFIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much would it cost to have the backup sensors installed (ballpark)?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:35 AM
All About Trance

I had checked Acura's website and the backup sensors retail around $578. I wonder if that's a new bumper with built in backup sensors or just for the sensors themselves. If it's the latter, then forget that!

I'll have to take the pics with my digicam. The one from work made it very grainy. And after looking at it again after my nerves had calmed down, I could barely noticed them if I was far away. Up close . . . that's a different story.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

I had checked Acura's website and the backup sensors retail around $578. I wonder if that's a new bumper with built in backup sensors or just for the sensors themselves. If it's the latter, then forget that!

I'll have to take the pics with my digicam. The one from work made it very grainy. And after looking at it again after my nerves had calmed down, I could barely noticed them if I was far away. Up close . . . that's a different story.
I hope its with the bumper too. if so I can kill two birds with one stone with my indented bumper.

But in reality, I think its just for the sensors themselves, and then you still have to pay for them to actually install them, unless you can do it yourself.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:12 PM
HMFIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone posted the install instructions, it does NOT include a new bumper. They drill the holes in your existing bumper.

If that price includes installation, that seems like a fair deal (assuming they don't botch the install).

Don
Old 07-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got my 2005TL back from the body shop replacing the rear bumper skin only. A guy took off from a stop light when it turned green instead of waiting for me and three other cars ahead of me to go first!

Very minor damage to the bumper but I insisted on them replacing it instead of repairing it. Acura in Cinti wanted $750, and the body shop I chose wanted $875 to replace it. They did an excellent job and looks like brand new still.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

There should be a few threads showing the pics and differance between the old sensors and new sensors. I think the backup sensors could be very helpful.