Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of leak here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of leak here?

Can someone tell me what line this is here with the oil on it? I have a power steering leak and wondering if this is power steering fluid. Can the fluid be leaking from this hose or is it leaking onto this hose from somewhere else?

This is right under the front end looking to the back of the car. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-13-2023, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...MtMmwtdjYtZ2Fz

Those are PS lines
Old 12-13-2023, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Thanks for the response.

Can I just swap out the hose part there with another rubber hose? And what is that white part on the hose where the oil is building up on?
Old 12-13-2023, 02:44 PM
CDM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by domano 68
Thanks for the response.

Can I just swap out the hose part there with another rubber hose? And what is that white part on the hose where the oil is building up on?
it's a clamp.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

sure can, it's probably hard as a rock and likely why it's leaking in the first place.. i would swap out those clamps as well.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
make sure it isn't the metal pipe that runs along the front. i live in new england, where salt on the roads eats cars baaaad, and my metal pipe rotted out; i replaced it with aftermarket and all good
Old 12-13-2023, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

I assume this did not come from the factory like this. Looks like someone cut the metal hose and placed this rubber hose in-between as a fix? What say you?

Can barely make out the writing on the hose due to the white clamp. RIN 95-25. What type and size hose is this or what type and size should I get please?

How would I go about removing the white clamp?

Last edited by domano 68; 12-13-2023 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Before going further...are you sure it's leaking? Or did something spill on it? Clean up the oily area using a rag soaked in dish soap and water and see if it comes back in a few days. Look for the leak and confirm it before fixing anything. Look above that line. See any dribbles from something above?

Its more than likely not leaking from that area.

If it is leaking and you do need a new hose...you need rubber power steering hose of the correct diameter. You can look that up and buy the right size hose from a parts store...or better yet, take off the hose and bring it with you to size it up. Or even better yet...just look up the part number and buy from Acura.

Continue using your factory clamps. They look to be in good shape, and it appears you live somewhere that they don't use much/any road salt.

The clamps are undone by squeezing the tabs together with pliers. They will expand when you do this and you can just slide them away from the section of hose you want to pull off.

If you need new clamps, don't go buy worm clamps. Buy the right type of constant tension clamp. Easiest way is via part number, from an Acura dealer.

Before removing the hose, I would recommend emptying the hydraulic fluid....or...its going to come spilling down on you when you pull the hose, so be ready for that. Replace the fluid with Power Steering fluid from an Acura dealer. Or buy power steering fluid specifically meant for Hondas/Acuras.

Last edited by BROlando; 12-14-2023 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BROlando
Before going further...are you sure it's leaking? Or did something spill on it? Clean up the oily area using a rag soaked in dish soap and water and see if it comes back in a few days. Look for the leak and confirm it before fixing anything. Look above that line. See any dribbles from something above?

Its more than likely not leaking from that area.

If it is leaking and you do need a new hose...you need rubber power steering hose of the correct diameter. You can look that up and buy the right size hose from a parts store...or better yet, take off the hose and bring it with you to size it up. Or even better yet...just look up the part number and buy from Acura.

Continue using your factory clamps. They look to be in good shape, and it appears you live somewhere that they don't use much/any road salt.

The clamps are undone by squeezing the tabs together with pliers. They will expand when you do this and you can just slide them away from the section of hose you want to pull off.

If you need new clamps, don't go buy worm clamps. Buy the right type of constant tension clamp. Easiest way is via part number, from an Acura dealer.

Before removing the hose, I would recommend emptying the hydraulic fluid....or...its going to come spilling down on you when you pull the hose, so be ready for that. Replace the fluid with Power Steering fluid from an Acura dealer. Or buy power steering fluid specifically meant for Hondas/Acuras.
Thanks for the info!

The power steering reservoir continues to slowly loose fluid so I do have a leak. I did a quick check around the pump lines and lines around the reservoir and did not see anything. I have not look all around the hose area in the picture to see if it is coming from above the hose instead of the hose. Its kinda a tight spot so its difficult to investigate much there.

So did this come from the factory like this or did prior owner cut a metal line and replace with rubber? Asking because I do not see this section of rubber in the above diagram that someone posted. Would like to find an Acura P/N or diameter and size so I can find the correct size to use. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by domano 68; 12-14-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Just curious, damano 68, what year is your TL?
Old 12-14-2023, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

If the suspected leak is confirmed to be at the area of the (red arrow) clamp, then this may be a leak at the ATF cooler line connection & not a power steering line?

Here's a picture (red arrow) of the 90635-RV0-003; Oil Pipe Clip:

The above atf hose clamp is #23 on the diagram below; therefore, the 'rubber hose(s)' in question appear to be either # 15 or #16?

Radiator Hose - Reserve Tank - 2008 Acura TL 4 Door BASE (NAVIGATION) KA 5AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)

Here's where the leak area (red arrow) relates to & what it looks like in the Helm's service manual:

What do you think?
Old 12-14-2023, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeta
just curious, damano 68, what year is your tl?
Old 12-14-2023, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

If the suspected leak is confirmed to be at the area of the (red arrow) clamp, then this may be a leak at the ATF cooler line connection & not a power steering line?

Here's a picture (red arrow) of the 90635-RV0-003; Oil Pipe Clip:

The above atf hose clamp is #23 on the diagram below; therefore, the 'rubber hose(s)' in question appear to be either # 15 or #16?

Radiator Hose - Reserve Tank - 2008 Acura TL 4 Door BASE (NAVIGATION) KA 5AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)

Here's where the leak area (red arrow) relates to & what it looks like in the Helm's service manual:

What do you think?
The transmission fluid has been recently changed and is more pink in color. This is more of an engine oil color or dirty power steering fluid color. But I do not know for sure what type of fluid this hose carries. I'd have to get back under the vehicle and check, but your diagram shows #23 going back into the radiator. I do not think this one does that. Can someone crawl under their's and look?

Last edited by domano 68; 12-14-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

This is more of an engine oil color or dirty power steering fluid color. But I do not know for sure what type of fluid this hose carries. I'd have to get back under the vehicle and check,
If the residual oil color present is like you say, then check the PS line connections circled in red below.
These are most likely near the vicinity above the area in question in your original picture, though, the leak could be coming from a hole in the line due to corrosion or fracture. As a result, a complete review of the connections / components should be done be yourself or your mechanic.
Good Luck.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Looks like the other end might be going into radiator? Not sure yet. Does power steering go into radiator?

Old 12-14-2023, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Ahh should have asked for more pics, those are trans line coolers
Old 12-14-2023, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Looks like the other end might be going into radiator? Not sure yet. Does power steering go into radiator?
Sorry for the hassle and thanks for the confirmation.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

The colored arrows on your original picture below correspond with the the same colored arrows on the part diagram.

Now all that needs to be confirmed / determined is where the alleged leak is sourcing from,
power steering or ATF cooler line?
The former is more likely based on the OP's oil color info above, but where?

Old 12-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

The colored arrows on your original picture below correspond with the the same colored arrows on the part diagram.

Now all that needs to be confirmed / determined is where the alleged leak is sourcing from,
power steering or ATF cooler line?
The former is more likely based on the OP's oil color info above, but where?

Definitely strange though, i don’t know of any PS lines on that side of the engine, and with the PS fluid going down, it adds to the confusion. BROlando makes a good point, you gotta clean it all and identify where it’s leaking form. Maybe there’s a higher up PS steering leak that is just taking the path of this pipe/tube to drain down and it’s not actually Transmission fluid leaking hard to say without more diagnostic.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (12-15-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Here are a few closer pics; hard to get in there. Definitely does not smell like transmission fluid but it may be dirty if its trailing and leaking onto this area. I don't see any signs of that though. Its pretty clean around this area and wet areas are only from the clamp ear location and the end of this hose. I am thinking the ears have dug a hole into the hose.

Old 12-16-2023, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Here's another forum members thread with pictures where he had a similar issue.
Leak? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
Old 12-17-2023, 02:28 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Clean it like somebody mentioned.
Try too reposition the clamp.
Move the clamp, try to move the tube (even by 1 millimeter), reinstall the clamp In different position.
Had the same picture on one of the connections you are showing. This little repositioning helped. Probably some micro pass-thruough in old tube was just tightened.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

^
Here's another forum members thread with pictures where he had a similar issue.
Leak? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
Wow, that looks very similar to mine. Great find. I need to go and check the area where mine goes back into the radiator or goes back near the radiator. I am not 100% sure yet. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mariusz439
Move the clamp, try to move the tube (even by 1 millimeter), reinstall the clamp In different position.
Had the same picture on one of the connections you are showing. This little repositioning helped. Probably some micro pass-thruough in old tube was just tightened.
Great idea. I will definitely try that first. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2023, 01:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mariusz439
Had the same picture on one of the connections you are showing. This little repositioning helped. Probably some micro pass-through in old tube was just tightened.
Well I tried what you said above and it worked. First I topped off power steering fluid and then transmission fluid. Its been several days since I have moved the clamp and its still dry. Now just need to check power steering fluid and transmission fluid levels to see if either has dropped. Thanks again!!