Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What trans filter should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What trans filter should I buy?

I am going to order the transmission sensor/switches but what kind of ATF fluid and filter should I buy, OEM/Acura? I have no problem spending the extra bucks if it's worth it. Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Redline or Amsoil ATF, and just get OEM filter.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the Purolator One Gold series transmission filter with the copper enriched gasket. Its hard to find but you will love the performance.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
liquidlunch,

do you think you could post a part number or a website on where i could get that filter for the type s?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Instructor

I called the Acura dealer and parts told me that there is NO transmission filter for the TL's Is this true? He said you just drain out old fluid and fill it up.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by myblack04tl
I called the Acura dealer and parts told me that there is NO transmission filter for the TL's Is this true? He said you just drain out old fluid and fill it up.
Not entirely. Most will do just the drain and refill, but as far as a filter, probably not the one you might be thinking of:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/5at-filter-cartridge-731052/
Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Racer

25450-ray-003 element (atf)
Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to use a dino based ATF, I would just go with Z1. Buy it at a Honda dealer instead of an Acura dealer. It's the same fluid, but it's cheaper at Honda dealers.

If you want to change to synthetic, Amsoil or Redline D4 work well. I'm running Redline D4 with no issues so far. I Hate Cars has used Amsoil and Redline, he didn't have any issues either. I believe Mobil 1 ATF now covers the spec for Z1 also. It's available locally, but it costs about the same as Amsoil or Redline.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Dextron is a suitable replacement for Honda ATF if you don't want to buy Honda. The friction material on the clutch discs and inside the torque converter can be sensitive to ATF other than Honda or Dextron which can result in shudders during shifts and at lock-up engagement.
As for the filter, there is a small filter on the exterior of the ATM as well as a strainer inside the transmission. The external filter keeps contamination from entering the transmission from the cooler. The internal strainer keeps contamination from entering the oil pump. The internal cannot be replaced without tearing down the transmission. I would just replace the external with a Honda OEM part.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tyfer
Dextron is a suitable replacement for Honda ATF
Where was this information sourced?
Acura recommends that if Dexron is used in an emergency only situation, it should be "flushed out" ASAP, and flushed being the Acura term for multiple drainings.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

I tell you what, all this Redline/Amsoil vs OEM discussion for every fluid can get overwhelming! Honestly i am not sure what to use for Tranny fluid, or power steering fluid or any other fluids! lol!

One thing no one mentions is price. Is there a major difference between Amsoil vs Buying from Honda/Acura?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by N.I.toHTown
I tell you what, all this Redline/Amsoil vs OEM discussion for every fluid can get overwhelming! Honestly i am not sure what to use for Tranny fluid, or power steering fluid or any other fluids! lol!

One thing no one mentions is price. Is there a major difference between Amsoil vs Buying from Honda/Acura?
Amsoil and Redline will run you $9-$11 a quart shipped depending on where you buy it. Honda Z1 also depends on where you buy it, most are around $7-$8 a quart.

The bottom line is Redline or Amsoil are going to be more money than Z1. Redline uses a mix of PAO and POE, Amsoil uses PAO, for basestock. That is more expensive than the group II petroleum base Honda uses.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Where was this information sourced?
Acura recommends that if Dexron is used in an emergency only situation, it should be "flushed out" ASAP, and flushed being the Acura term for multiple drainings.
I work for Honda at the automatic transmission plant and have for 13 years, the last 6 years of it as a warranty failure cause analyst. If your transmission in your TL fails, they sent it to me and I determine why. Dexron 5 is a suitable replacement and if you experience any shutter during shifts it can actually correct this problem depending on the amount of wear on your friction discs.
Acura doesn't sell Dexron. You don't actually think that they would recommend buying it do you? GM doesn't tell you to go out and buy Honda ATF unless it's for a Honda powered Saturn Vue.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I work for Honda at the automatic transmission plant and have for 13 years, the last 6 years of it as a warranty failure cause analyst. If your transmission in your TL fails, they sent it to me and I determine why. Dexron 5 is a suitable replacement and if you experience any shutter during shifts it can actually correct this problem depending on the amount of wear on your friction discs.
Acura doesn't sell Dexron. You don't actually think that they would recommend buying it do you? GM doesn't tell you to go out and buy Honda ATF unless it's for a Honda powered Saturn Vue.
That's funny, the 2005 Saturn Vue has the following recommended ATF straight from the owner's manual:
Transaxle (with 3.5L V6 engine)
ATF Z1 Automatic Transmission
Fluid (Saturn Part No. 22717466)

Looks like you may need a little more than the 13 years experience!

So, once again, what was the source of the statement about using Dexron in the Acura and not having any problems? Its quite obvious it is different fluid.

Last edited by Turbonut; 03-10-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
10th Gear

That's funny, the 2005 Saturn Vue has the following recommended ATF straight from the owner's manual:
Transaxle (with 3.5L V6 engine)
ATF Z1 Automatic Transmission
Fluid (Saturn Part No. 22717466)

Looks like you may need a little more than the 13 years experience!

So, once again, what was the source of the statement about using Dexron in the Acura and not having any problems? Its quite obvious it is different fluid.
Wow, sorry for throwing that out there. I can't believe Honda hasn't fired me yet, since I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe McDonalds is hiring. If I get hired there would you please came and tell me how to flip the burgers? From here on out I will forward all transmission questions to you. Honda may have an open postion, PM me for an application. Maybe you could tell HGT how to design their transmissions and what fluid to put in them.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, sorry for throwing that out there. I can't believe Honda hasn't fired me yet, since I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe McDonalds is hiring. If I get hired there would you please came and tell me how to flip the burgers? From here on out I will forward all transmission questions to you. Honda may have an open postion, PM me for an application. Maybe you could tell HGT how to design their transmissions and what fluid to put in them.
I've been around a long time and have done more than you might imagine with vehicles, but I really didn't mean to come across in a derogatory way, but I perceived your response as sarcastic, to say the least. If my response was offensive, I apologize. It's just that over time everyone seems to add a lot of detail that, let's just say, is suspect, and I was trying to make it clear as day when someone else might reference the thread and be able to decipher the correct ATF that should be used.
I’ll try and calm it down.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
10th Gear

I've been around a long time and have done more than you might imagine with vehicles, but I really didn't mean to come across in a derogatory way, but I perceived your response as sarcastic, to say the least. If my response was offensive, I apologize. It's just that over time everyone seems to add a lot of detail that, let's just say, is suspect, and I was trying to make it clear as day when someone else might reference the thread and be able to decipher the correct ATF that should be used.
I’ll try and calm it down.
It's cool. I didn't post to argue with anyone's previous post's about what ATF to use. I just wanted to chime in and share an option that has not only been tested, but is used by engineers that I work with in their personal vehicles. Personally I prefer a manual trans.
There was no sarcasm in my original post, if it seemed that way, my bad. My posts after the original were harsh, but you have to understand that this is what I do for a living all day, everyday. If you choose not to believe me that's your business but I think that my yearly evaluations by my management tell me whether or not I know what I am talking about.
As you can tell by my post count, I am a noob to this forum. When I made my introduction I stated what I do for a living and people had a positive response because they thought that I could help answer ATM related questions (believe me I know there are several). I would like to help in that regard. The problem with that is people see things in different ways and do things in different ways. That may not always match up with the way I have been trained, or have experienced. Believe me Honda wants people to use Honda ATF. That's the fluid they have designed there transmissions to work with. While there are products that will work as good or in some case better, we have seen others actually cause failure. Dexron5 happens to work.
I'm sorry that I fired you up. I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I will watch my future posts.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Dexron5 happens to work.

I'm back, no problems, but just to lett you know, there is no Dexron V (5) trans fluid. GM skipped from IV to VI.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
tyfer,

Welcome to Acurazine.

If you have time, could you please read my thread (linked below) regarding friction modifiers in the ATF? I would love to have you share your knowledge with this topic.

If you have time, could you please comment on how does the TL create that pause during shifts. Does the ECM/PCM reduce the throttle via the DBW? Is the ECM cutting the signal to the fuel injectors to create the pause?

How does the ECM/PCM know when to reapply the power after that pause? Does it use the Speed Sensor on the trans' mainshaft (input) and the other sensor on the Output Shaft to detect when the clutch pack has fully engaged via difference in these two sensors?

If you wish, you can reply to these answers in the linked thread below.

THANK A LOT tyfer !

Racing ATF (click here)
Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Hey Tyfer

Since you see all the dead transmissions what do you recommend to make them last a long time? Alot of folks are changing out the 3 & 4 gear sensors/switches (28600-RAY-003/28610-RAY-003) and do a 3X3 fluid change. I will do the same and I will use Redline D4, I have just bought the car (04) and it looks like it had a BG service on the trans (whatever that means) at 65,000. It know has 87,000.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Instructor

ttt