Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the tolerated mods under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the tolerated mods under warranty

i wanted to know what are the tolerated mods that you can do to your car withtout affecting the warranty of the car by the dealer.

Plz post

thanks
Old 03-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on your dealer and if they do the install.....dealers make money from warranty items....they get paid for labour hours.

I know of a dealer who will cover the supercharger as long as they install it. I had some trouble with my short shift...lucky it was installed at a Acura dealer and they took care of it...no questions asked.

I had an Audi A4 1.8 T...with a turbo upgrade, front mount intercooler,boost controller and a ton of other stuff. I was boosting around 15-16 psi and all my oil seals began failing. Well it was all replaced under warranty.

American Honda does not see your car...the dealer does and American Honda is who pays the dealer for warranty repairs.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

i think anything comptech is under warranty.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
It depends on a lot of things.

First off, is the dealership cool with modifications, period? If they hate modifications, then they won't work with you at all.

The next question is, what are the mods you have, or want to have on your car? If you have a supercharger and the engine blows, then it won't be covered. But if there was something wrong with, say, the suspension, then it will most likely be covered because it most likely wouldn't have anything to do with the supercharger.

See, the bottom line is whether or not the mods you have are the direct cause of any failures on the car. By law, they cannot void the ENTIRE warranty due to the presence of modifications. But keep in mind that anything you put on the car, and any future failures related to (not necessarily caused by) that modification, it will be blamed on the modification in most cases.

Having said that, I found that a lot of dealerships are cool with bolt-on's. But it depends on your luck, really.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

It's all about your dealer.

I asked, and was told "if you put a sway bar on and your A/C goes that's OK. But if you were to put a CAI on and your engine seized that could be a problem" I then asked if I were to remove the CAI prior to repair of seized engine, they said no problem. They do not note any where on bills, or in their computer that I put a CAI on my TL for future reference.

It sounded like MY service dept. would work with me, but I'm guessing that would be up to the individual dept.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:42 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by joed40
It's all about your dealer.

I asked, and was told "if you put a sway bar on and your A/C goes that's OK. But if you were to put a CAI on and your engine seized that could be a problem" I then asked if I were to remove the CAI prior to repair of seized engine, they said no problem. They do not note any where on bills, or in their computer that I put a CAI on my TL for future reference.

It sounded like MY service dept. would work with me, but I'm guessing that would be up to the individual dept.

Thats good that they dont note what you have done on their own computers. When I type up an invoice for a customer I always open the memo box and write down anything that isnt stock on the car, or anything that might cause problems in the future. My memo does not make it onto the invoice, but it does get tagged with the cars service history so we can reference anything in the future if a problem arises.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by subinf
Thats good that they dont note what you have done on their own computers. When I type up an invoice for a customer I always open the memo box and write down anything that isnt stock on the car, or anything that might cause problems in the future. My memo does not make it onto the invoice, but it does get tagged with the cars service history so we can reference anything in the future if a problem arises.
Why?

Does it make the dealership any more money???

What is the point of doing this??
Old 03-11-2006, 09:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by joed40
Why?

Does it make the dealership any more money???

What is the point of doing this??

So we can make notes about a car without freaking a customer out. This ranges anywhere from "careful, oil plug comes out hard" to "cusomter has history of breaking catalytic converters while 4 wheeling." That way, if we are going to do work on a car we know before we jump right into something. If its something such as an oil leak or misfire, obviously thats made on the invoice.

No its not done to make money. Ive used to make notes about the personality of the customer as well. If an asshole customer comes back for shit that isnt covered under warranty I will make a note about the customer, what they have asked for in the past, excuses as to why they said we are responsible for their failed smog check, etc. I dont think it would go over well if we wrote "customer bitches about everything" on their invoice.

The point is so we can make notes about the history of the car and the owner. Is this a problem for you?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:32 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Personally, no.

As I said, I was told that there wasn't any notation regarding after market items. I am now wondering if these notations are available to district reps etc.. It causes me to think a little longer about my mods and the trust I had in this service rep.

Mmmm.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro

re

i wanted to drop my car 1. to 2 inches by only changing the coils, so i wanted to know if the dealer will say anything about this and just for reference, my car is bought. Let me know

thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
Go ahead and lower your car, it won't void your warranty. I've done it on both my TLs and haven't had any issues so far.

Here's a link to the full text of the law: http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Also, here's a brief summary of the Magnusson-Moss act I found that explains things pretty simply:

Magnuson Moss Act

FEARS:

You want to upgrade your vehicle with aftermarket equipment, but you’re worried about putting the vehicle’s warranty at risk. It’s no wonder. How many times have you heard someone at a automobile dealership say that unless the dealer installs your aftermarket equipment you will automatically void your new car warranty? This common misconception has been repeated often enough to be widely believed – though it is completely false.

FACT:

Dealers don’t like warranty work, because it pays less than normal repair work. By promoting the myth that aftermarket equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers avoid such low-paying work. Instead, they attempt to charge customers the prime service rate for work which is rightfully done under warranty.

THE TRUTH:

Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, that means a dealer can’t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, check the owner’s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as “What Is Not Covered” Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

VEHICLE DEALERS OBLIGATIONS:

Suppose your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Without analyzing the true cause of the problem, the dealer attempts to deny warranty coverage. He made his decision simply based on the fact that you’ve installed aftermarket equipment – a convenient way to dodge low-paying warranty work.

An example of how ridiculous this can get is the man who was denied warranty coverage by a dealer on his power door locks, because he had improved his exhaust system! Sounds nuts? It really happened – because that man did not know his rights and challenge the dealer’s decision.

Fact: A dealer must prove – not just say – that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

YOUR RIGHTS:

Point out to the dealer the provision of the Magnuson-Moss Act- Require that he explain to you how the aftermarket equipment caused the problem. If he can’t – or his explanation sounds questionable – it is your legal right to demand he comply with the warranty.

Fact: If you are still being unfairly denied warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty issues. Direct complaints to the FTC at (202) 326-3128.

SECURITY SYSTEMS:

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, a vehicle manufacturer may not make its vehicle warranty conditional on the use of any brand of anti-theft device unless the manufacturer provides the anti-theft device free of charge or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has specifically published that only the vehicle manufacturer’s product may be used. To challenge a false claim, ask the person to put it in writing, or request the vehicle manufacturer’s security system free of charge. If you are charged for the anti-theft device, or they refuse to give you a written statement, this is a violation of Federal law.

This is the actual language of the act:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this sub-section may be waived by the Commission if the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

The district courts of the United States shall have jurisdiction of any action brought by the Attorney General (in his capacity as such), or by the Commission by any of its attorneys designated by it for such purpose, to restrain (A) any warrantor from making a deceptive warranty with respect to a consumer product, or (B) any person from failing to comply with any requirement imposed on such person or pursuant to this chapter or from violating any prohibition contained in this chapter.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Some really good points are made above! My experience with mods and dealers has been pretty good because I built a relationship with a specific dealer and took my cars there for thier regular serivce. Some will say I overpaid, I say I was investing in a relationship that may help me down the road - especially if I am moderately to heavily modded. Another key point is that if they are going to deny you a warranty claim they have to be able to point to how the mod in quesiton lead to or contributed to the failure resulting in the warranty claim. For instance, they couldn't reasonabley say that my CAI lead to my glove box latch from braking.

Also, as someone noted above, the dealers do make $$$ from warranty work but they have to watch themselves as well. The dealer with whom I built a relationship in the past was definately on my side, however, they let it be known that in certain warranty I was on my own such as when a failure is so untimely that the manufacturer wants to send in a rep to "learn from it" etc.

Finally, the other part of modding, - in my experience - comes in regard to extended warranty companies. If you keep your car long enough to kick into an extended warranty you bought read the warranty carefully! Some actually say that ANY mod to the car may void the warranty and they can be real dicks about mods as often the companies must approve repairs before the dealer can fix them.

My $0.02 - HTH
Old 03-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Pro

re

thx guys uve been very helpful
Old 03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Excellent day today. I learned something new.

I can honestly say that I was unaware of the whole Magnuson Moss Act. Sure sheds a new light on consumer rights and after market parts/warranty.