Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Spots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Spots?

Water spots? how can i get rid of them. first time with a black car and they seem to be eveywhere. My car looks great, i have a few coats of zaino. its only those upclose inspections when you can see the water spots. i hand dry my car all the the time. its most likly i get them when a passing rain shower goes buy. what can i do?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There really isn't anything you can do....sorry I know you don't want to hear that. After having 3 black cars, I finally gave up trying to eliminate or prevent water spots. I would wax my car, use speed shine, and it would be looking great, then the first time a passing shower or lawn sprinkler got water on the paint, the spots would return. The only way around this is to never drive the car in the rain. I got Anthracite this time around, and don't have nearly as much trouble keeping it looking great...it just the nature of black....beautifull when clean, but a nightmare to keep that way. I used to nickname my paint.....Nightmare Black Pearl!!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You probably Zainoed the water spots in. Best thing you can do is wash the car in the shade so the water doesn't dry as fast. I also use the waterblade and then a towel after washing. It gets the water off fast w/o givign it so much time to dry. That should at least improve results. If all else fails you can switch your TL to anthracite, that doesnt seem to show spots.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

I hope this is not the case. I also have a black 5AT and noticed water spots all over the car (about a month ago). First, I thought it was under the wax. I tried using everything to remove the spots to no success. Anyway, I brought the car to my dealer and they sent it to a detail shop. It seems that the spots have burned into the paint. They ended up sanding my car to get rid of the water spots. All was good until a week ago, I noticed the same spots on my trunk. I brought it straight to the detail shop and they did the same procedure. To this point, I don't know what's causing this. I always get a black car and I never experienced any of these on my previous cars (unless I was just not paying attention). I seldom park my car under the sun. Never clean my car when it's sunny. I mean, as much as possible, i try to be extra careful with my car. Right now, I am blaming the Mr. Clean soap as the culprit. Me and my neighbor have the same Mr. Clean Spot Free washer. However, he oftens wash his car at noon time. I have a feeling that the soap is hitting my car, getting baked under the sun and causing these water spots. I don't know, but I never park my car next to his anymore.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
I'll give this another day here, and move it to Wash & Wax tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonrey
I hope this is not the case. I also have a black 5AT and noticed water spots all over the car (about a month ago). First, I thought it was under the wax. I tried using everything to remove the spots to no success. Anyway, I brought the car to my dealer and they sent it to a detail shop. It seems that the spots have burned into the paint. They ended up sanding my car to get rid of the water spots. All was good until a week ago, I noticed the same spots on my trunk. I brought it straight to the detail shop and they did the same procedure. To this point, I don't know what's causing this. I always get a black car and I never experienced any of these on my previous cars (unless I was just not paying attention). I seldom park my car under the sun. Never clean my car when it's sunny. I mean, as much as possible, i try to be extra careful with my car. Right now, I am blaming the Mr. Clean soap as the culprit. Me and my neighbor have the same Mr. Clean Spot Free washer. However, he oftens wash his car at noon time. I have a feeling that the soap is hitting my car, getting baked under the sun and causing these water spots. I don't know, but I never park my car next to his anymore.
I had a 2002 TL-S with water spots(acid rain damage), and my dealer wanted to do just what they did to your car, but I declined. What they're doing is removing the clear coat, and eventually, you will end up with almost no clear coat protecting the paint. With the soft paint EPA dictates nowdays, black cars are very prone to acid rain spotting. I know black looks awesome, but water spots are going to happen unless you don't drive in rain, or dry the car anytime water beads up on the finish. That's why I said goodbye to NBP and went with Anthracite...haven't had any spots since.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Try using vinegar. I used this method and it really works.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Mr Clean AutoDry huh?? My girlfriends black 350Z has this same problem!! The water spots just won't seem to come off!! We've washed and rewashed and waxed w/ no promising results. I thought it was the AutoDry too so we've stopped using it. The waterblade and microfibers are all that touch the car now, but how can I get rid of these annoying spots?? Claybar? Detail?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by lookin4tl
Mr Clean AutoDry huh?? My girlfriends black 350Z has this same problem!! The water spots just won't seem to come off!! We've washed and rewashed and waxed w/ no promising results. I thought it was the AutoDry too so we've stopped using it. The waterblade and microfibers are all that touch the car now, but how can I get rid of these annoying spots?? Claybar? Detail?
i wouldnt suggest using the mr clean autodry, some users here have reported it leaving a thin film of some substance on your car, not all that great for waxing on and stuff.

my experience (although i have an anthracite, so it hides better) is that using the microfibers quickly and in multitude can keep the spots off. just keep using a dry towel and soon there wont be anything left on the car. a good coat of wax would help too.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by insmanblue
Try using vinegar. I used this method and it really works.
vinegar solution in water. approx 1/2 cup vinegar in half gallon of water does well. soak rag in solution, wring out excess then gently wipe over the spots.

"spotty" water demands you use a chamois to wipe down after washing.

i also use a squirt of liquid dish washing agent in my final rinse water to help water sheet away. 2 methods to rinse down the car. either use one of the miracle grow fertilizer mixers that go on the end of the hose, or use a clean cotton dish towel to wipe down the car. then i use a synthetic chamois to dry the car. works like a charm every time.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced

have you tried clay bar? i love that stuff.
clay bar your car and apply 2 coats of wax. that should help.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lookin4tl
I still use my Mr. Clean AutoDry, but only for rinsing. I stopped using the Mr. Clean Gel Soap. As for removing the spots, if it's etched on the paint, then you need to have the car compounded/polished like I did. Although as JetJock pointed out, it can eat the clear coat. You need to talk to your detail guy to make sure they don't go to deep. My detail guy did a great job on my car. I would say, 99% of it are gone. There are a few left on some of the grooves but he decided not to do them as spending to much time on those areas might burn you paint and it the clear coat layer.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:15 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

I always had problems with water spots on my previous black car's no matter what I did. I finally solved this problem. I use Meguiars Quick Detailer by spraying it onto the spotted area and wiping it down w/ a microfibre towel. It works great!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:43 PM
one -n- only

my answer to this problem, after washing your car gun it down a road to get most of the water off then wipe your car down with an absorber (can find one at almost any auto store) and then with a 100% cotton towel, I picked this up from a friend who owned a black TSX and it worked for him.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:05 AM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

If you gun it down the road to get most of the water off then you will get road grime on the car's body, especially the lower body. Even worse, when you start wiping down your car with a cotton towel, you'll be scrubing your car with all the dirt you car picked up while wet.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xristos
If you gun it down the road to get most of the water off then you will get road grime on the car's body, especially the lower body. Even worse, when you start wiping down your car with a cotton towel, you'll be scrubing your car with all the dirt you car picked up while wet.
Absolutely. Try using a leaf blower with the car standing still. I, too use Mr. Clean AutoDry, but for rinsing only, then chamois dry. My car is DMM, so spots are not much of an issue, but the glass areas are spotless.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DavePA
Absolutely. Try using a leaf blower with the car standing still. I, too use Mr. Clean AutoDry, but for rinsing only, then chamois dry. My car is DMM, so spots are not much of an issue, but the glass areas are spotless.
not a good suggestion. very bad idea if it's a used leaf blower. even a new one will suck up small pieces of dirt and blast it onto the car...

DavePA, i would certainly pay to see using the leaf blower while the car was not standing still

cheers
Old 08-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Team Anthracite Member

GREAT stuff!!

:cheer:

Originally Posted by xristos
I always had problems with water spots on my previous black car's no matter what I did. I finally solved this problem. I use Meguiars Quick Detailer by spraying it onto the spotted area and wiping it down w/ a microfibre towel. It works great!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
GREAT stuff!!

:cheer:
Yes, that works well, as long as the waterspots have not etched into the paint.

The real danger is when water droplets (nice round beads from all that polishing and waxing) start to dry in the hot sun. 2 things can occur:

1) The droplet acts as a mirror to literally burn into the paint
2) If the water is acidic from nitrides or sulfurics in the air, the weak acids become more powerful as the water burns off, causing a chemical etching.

Once either occurs, you will have to go to cutting compounds. My 2002 TL-S had its SS paint ruined after a weeked at the dealers, when they parked it outside in hot weather, it rained, and I never could get the spots out, and I have every type of cutting pad, cutting compounds, and a Porter-Cable.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

I suggest finding somone with a PORTER CABLE. My brother has an IS 300 and does not care for the car properly and let water spots bake into the car - I used my porter cable 7424 and some different stage swirl remover and 3 coats of caleaner and wax = SPOTS GONE COMPLETELY not to add a much better shine than he had before! IT works. GOOD LUCK