Sodium 218
Calcium 829
Magnesium 4
Phosphorous 341
Zinc 347
Vis @ 200 F 59.1
Flashpoint 425
All other values were zero.

Sodium reading is most likely from the Antimony Content, a new additive that has shown up recently.

Factory Fill from a 2005 Honda Accord 4-cyl after 350 miles (5W/20):

Iron 8
Moly 298
Potassium 4
Boron 9
Silicon 57
Sodium 6
Calcium 1939
Magnesium 7
Phosphorus 835
Zinc 886

Silicon is from headgasket and sandblasting material.

Note that the molybdenum content from the Factory Fill of the Honda is lower than the Molybdenum content in the Havoline 5W/30.

I thought that Acurazine readers maybe interested in seeing the composition of the oils that they are using in their TLs. Surprisingly, the new formulation of the Havoline 5W/30 (API SM, GF-4) has a whopping 360ppm of molybdenum. This is about the same amount of molybdenum that is in the factory fill of the TL, so there is no reason to leave the factory fill in your engine when there is an inexpensive replacement oil out there that practically has the same composition as the factory fill. The only special characteristic of the factory fill is its high molybdenum content; I recall that the factory fill from JetJock’s TL after 5K showed 300ppm of molybdenum.

I hope that these Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) will help Acurazine readers make better choices on what oils to use in their vehicles.

Michael
Old 03-06-2005, 06:09 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelwan
Note that the molybdenum content from the Factory Fill of the Honda is lower than the Molybdenum content in the Havoline 5W/30.

I thought that Acurazine readers maybe interested in seeing the composition of the oils that they are using in their TLs. Surprisingly, the new formulation of the Havoline 5W/30 (API SM, GF-4) has a whopping 360ppm of molybdenum. This is about the same amount of molybdenum that is in the factory fill of the TL, so there is no reason to leave the factory fill in your engine when there is an inexpensive replacement oil out there that practically has the same composition as the factory fill. The only special characteristic of the factory fill is its high molybdenum content; I recall that the factory fill from JetJock’s TL after 5K showed 300ppm of molybdenum.

I hope that these Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) will help Acurazine readers make better choices on what oils to use in their vehicles.

Michael
Very good post!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,130 Likes on 2,566 Posts
Thanks for the info
Old 03-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Good stuff!

Thanks.

This ties in with what Road Rage has been saying about our break in oil and the caveats for early changers of the factory fill. (like me)

I changed at 3,000 miles as the car is almost a year old and the oil was getting coffee colored instead of honey colored.

I have purchased Valvoline Max Life Engine Protectant which is high in Moly and will add a pint of that to Mobil 1 10W-30.

I was anxious to see a VOA of the Mobil 1 Extended Protection product that is just now appearing on shelves. It looks good. I will probably stock up with my 50% off Pep Boys discount coupons from the MADD calendar as soon as they get it in.

-XP
Old 03-06-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Thanks.

This ties in with what Road Rage has been saying about our break in oil and the caveats for early changers of the factory fill. (like me)

I changed at 3,000 miles as the car is almost a year old and the oil was getting coffee colored instead of honey colored.

I have purchased Valvoline Max Life Engine Protectant which is high in Moly and will add a pint of that to Mobil 1 10W-30.

I was anxious to see a VOA of the Mobil 1 Extended Protection product that is just now appearing on shelves. It looks good. I will probably stock up with my 50% off Pep Boys discount coupons from the MADD calendar as soon as they get it in.

-XP

No need for 10W/30 Mobil 1, Mobil 1 5W/20 is just fine. The viscosity difference between Mobil 1 5W/20 and Mobil 1 5W/30 is within 5%. It is insignificant in terms of protection for most users here on Acurazine. I’ve started a new thread discussing the weakness of Valvoline Maxlife Engine Protector and recommended an alternative. Please take a look at that thread.

Michael
Old 03-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Michaelwan;

This is useful info. Thanks for doing the work.

The variations in these VOA's from others I have seen for the same product indicate how "sampling" techniques vary, and why being as consistent as one car in the protocol will help ensure that readings over time have relevancy.

Does RL really have 600+ count of moy? Not sure. It has high detergency, that is for sure - its calcium reads like a Tums! Perhaps too high - does it leech copper - does that explain the rather high cupric levels found in the UOA's of RL in Hondas, or is it just being a good scrubber? That one still has me puzzled. But since the greatest source of copper in a Honda engine is the bearings, I am puzzled enough to be circumspect of RL for my Honda engines.

Note the high levels of Boron in the newer Mobil1 formulations - Boron is one of the additives LE uses. I also like the Motocraft 5w20 analysis - this is a product that continues to amaze. The Havoline has the lower GF-4 levels of ZDDP, but its high moly content likely is an attempt to offset any tendency to increased wear - ya gotta love what they are offering for the money - see why I rave about some of the "lesser" oils? It is no big engineering feat to develop an oil and sell it for $9/quart - it is something to develop one that sells for $1.50 or less that "brings it".
Old 03-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Michaelwan;

The variations in these VOA's from others I have seen for the same product indicate how "sampling" techniques vary, and why being as consistent as one car in the protocol will help ensure that readings over time have relevancy.

Does RL really have 600+ count of moy? Not sure. It has high detergency, that is for sure - its calcium reads like a Tums! Perhaps too high - does it leech copper - does that explain the rather high cupric levels found in the UOA's of RL in Hondas, or is it just being a good scrubber? That one still has me puzzled. But since the greatest source of copper in a Honda engine is the bearings, I am puzzled enough to be circumspect of RL for my Honda engines.

Note the high levels of Boron in the newer Mobil1 formulations - Boron is one of the additives LE uses. I also like the Motocraft 5w20 analysis - this is a product that continues to amaze. The Havoline has the lower GF-4 levels of ZDDP, but its high moly content likely is an attempt to offset any tendency to increased wear - ya gotta love what they are offering for the money - see why I rave about some of the "lesser" oils? It is no big engineering feat to develop an oil and sell it for $9/quart - it is something to develop one that sells for $1.50 or less that "brings it".

Always nice to see your input on the boards. Especially on this topic.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Michaelwan;

RR,
I’d like to point out a few things.

First, Motorcraft is a great oil, no doubt about that one. Excellent UOAs for its price; though, I think that the Havoline is a better oil for the money, especially for Honda Engines. Moly and Honda Engines are like best friends, engine oils containing molybdenum tend to produce very good wear in Honda engines. The 30 or so ppm of Moly that I see in the Motorcraft doesn’t really impress me for its price. Sure, I could add some Schaeffer’s Moly additive to it, but why bother when the Havoline can be had for $0.80/quart and contains a boatload of it.

RL, contains tons of molybdenum. Depending on the version, it contains anywhere between 500-700ppm of moly. I doubt that’s a lab error.

Only Honda V6s produce high copper readings. The 4-cylinders have very normal copper levels. I’m not going to argue with you about bearings since I’m not an expert on bearings, but I’ve always thought that the first layer on the bearings was babbit, which shows up as lead on UOAs. The high copper is another reason why I recommend dumping the factory fill on the TL so early on. After all, you probably wouldn’t die if you left the factory fill in for so long. Look at this person:
Link

He left the factory fill in his Honda for 10K. If that was my car, I would not have done that. However, after 60K on his engine, his wear metals are absolutely excellent. It apparently did not do any long term damage, to assure those of you who left the factory fill in your engines for over 5K.

Though you seem to be knowledgeable about oils, I’m not sure if you realize that ZDDP will eventually be phased out in favor of a different additive. Look at the Mobil Drive Clean 7500 5W-30 and Mobil Drive Clean 5000 5W-30 analysis. Notice the amount of sodium in the UOA. Mobil is starting to use Antimony and Sodium in their oil as an additive; eventually I think, these additives will take over the ZDDP. The reason why ZDDP is used is because of its price and effectiveness. However, there are newer additives available that are probably better. Though realize that the Sodium reading from the analysis may not necessarily be caused by the addition of sodium, it may simply reflect the amount of antimony in the oil, but don’t hold me to that.

Michael