Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Verizon & Bluetooth, 3/15/04

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verizon & Bluetooth, 3/15/04

Verizon has announced that they will be offering a Motorola Bluetooth phone on March 15, 2004. Yeah!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:52 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a good news. Can you post the URL?
Old 03-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Well, the Verizon rep told me that on the phone today. He said the announcement and prices won't be until the 13th
Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about the phone. What will be released w/ blue tooth? Contrac tup soon, this might be deciding factor
Old 03-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Instructor

I heard that it won't be out until the summer at the earliest. It was just approved by the FCC and has to be tested by Verizon before they will offer it.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Well, we will know in 2 weeks. All I know is he said it would be a Motorola
Old 03-02-2004, 02:33 AM
Instructor

It's the Motorola V710 and it will not be out in March. Do a google search and you can see pics of this phone. Most estimates place it anywhere from June to next Christmas.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Re: Verizon & Bluetooth, 3/15/04

Originally posted by daviddww
Verizon has announced that they will be offering a Motorola Bluetooth phone on March 15, 2004. Yeah!
what # did you call to find this out?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

I know it wont happen, but I hope it is true. My contact is up March 16 then I need to make the decision.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I hate rumors. But if this is true, I AM THERE.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Verizon & Bluetooth, 3/15/04

what # did you call to find this out? [/QUOTE]

I was on 611 about something else and I asked the guy. I should try it again with another operator and see if I get the same answer.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by joganjani
This is a good news. Can you post the URL?
http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=787

The FCC approved the Motorola V710 on February 12, 2004 for Verizon Wireless.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Instructor

http://www.mobiletracker.net/archive...pproves_mo.php

Here is the link to the PDF files, including pictures, manual, and demo for the Motorola from the FCC documents.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Okay so does this mean this Motorola phone is comming out soon and if so, how soon? Anyone with a guess on it's cost?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kinggeorge
Okay so does this mean this Motorola phone is comming out soon and if so, how soon? Anyone with a guess on it's cost?
I was told by Verizon that they would offer the phone on March 15...no price yet.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally posted by daviddww
I was told by Verizon that they would offer the phone on March 15...no price yet.
I wish, but don't think it will happen
we're all dreaming
Old 03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by moreace
I know it wont happen, but I hope it is true. My contact is up March 16 then I need to make the decision.
Don't know if this applies in all parts of the country, but here in NY you can continue on a month-to-month basis once your contract is up if you don't want to re-sign.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Angry

This figures.... I just got my new Siemens S56 for AT&T yesterday and was planning on switching my number to AT&T when my Verizon contract ends this Friday.

I would view this information with skepticism. AT&T announced many months back that they would have the Moto V600 out by now and we're still waiting (that's why I ordered the S56). Sprint had the SE T608 and then stopped selling it. It is really hard to tell what these companies are doing and from what I've seen, they don't do a good job at keeping their own people informed.

On the optimistic side, I do hope this is true, as I would like to keep Verizon as my carrier. I have about 30 days to decide whether or not to keep the S56, so I'm holding off on transferring my old number to the AT&T account until after the 15th just to see if the rumors are true. If I were to put money on this though, I'd bet the V710 isn't out until this summer at the earliest.

Also, if you are looking to get the Siemens S56 with AT&T, you can still get them through Amazon, but you won't find them in the stores or on the AT&T web site.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Anthracite First Lady

That date (March) coincides with the release of the Moto V600. Is it possible it could be that instead of the 710?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SabosTL
That date (March) coincides with the release of the Moto V600. Is it possible it could be that instead of the 710?

Well, according to the two links above (one of them relating to the FCC approval) it is stating the new 710. Don't know for a couple of weeks....
Old 03-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Question from a non-Bluetooth person:

If this is all true, and this is really a Bluetooth-enabled Motorola phone, service by Verizon...

doesn't it HAVE to support the HFL to work in the TL?

Not all BT phone support HFL, right?

Does this phone?

Am I on the right page here?
Old 03-03-2004, 06:13 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

As I stated previously in another thread, it's unlikely that the phone would be available that quickly after FCC approval. Not that I wouldn't mind if I was wrong, though!

See my previous comments here.

Oh, and TZVECL - Yes, the Motorola V710 supports HFL, according to the user's manual.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mook
This figures.... I just got my new Siemens S56 for AT&T yesterday and was planning on switching my number to AT&T when my Verizon contract ends this Friday.

Hey Mook, maybe I'm just being lazy, but please verify if this is a GSM phone with AT&T. I'm hoping its not GSM because the service is far from perfect at this point, and so I've been resisting getting rid of my Nokia 8265 and stepping into GSM with AT&T. I've been happy with AT&T for the most part for six years, but damm T-Mobile is much cheaper and I keep hearing that Verizon is the best over all.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Acuraddict,

The S56 is a GSM phone, it only works with AT&T and Cingular in the USA.

Also someone asked if the V600 is the phone that Verizon will release. The V600 is a GSM phone too, so unless Moto makes a CDMA version, it won't be the phone that Verizon issues. There have been numerous announcements on other phone sites (Phonescoop, Mobil9, Mobilburn, etc.) that have stated the V710 will be the phone that Verizon will issue. The question is when. It just seems to me after following this stuff since before I got my TL, it takes several months after FCC approval for a carrier to test and issue a new phone. Hopefully I will be wrong and the rumors are true and we'll see this phone this month. I just wouldn't put money on it.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Advanced

I just called Verizon customer service. The woman I spoke with knew nothing about any Bluetooth announcement. You can take that for what it's worth, but I thought since I took the time to call, I'd take the time to post the results.
--Andy W.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

This is bit out of topic, sorry.

I got a Verizon phone about 20 months ago with 2-year contract.

They promised $100 new phone credit at the end of the contract (in addition to no activation fee).

Are there anyone really get this $100 credit? How do they give you, by coupon or certificate? I am waiting for Verizon bluetooth and will get it on June if V710 rumor is true.

If you get and used $100 credit from Verizon, please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by comdoctor
This is bit out of topic, sorry.

I got a Verizon phone about 20 months ago with 2-year contract.

They promised $100 new phone credit at the end of the contract (in addition to no activation fee).

Are there anyone really get this $100 credit? How do they give you, by coupon or certificate? I am waiting for Verizon bluetooth and will get it on June if V710 rumor is true.

If you get and used $100 credit from Verizon, please let me know.
It's not complicated, they just discount any phone in their inventory by $100. That's it.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Racer

That's correct. No coupon needed. They keep track of when you got your last phone and just give you the $100 discount when the time is up and you want to buy a new phone. The price just comes off the top of the cost of the phone.

I did this last summer when I traded in my dying star tac for an LG VX4400. Should be interesting when I try to go back to verizon when this bluetooth phone does come out to see if I can convince them to give me a $100 trade in discount well before I'll be eligible for it again.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Any news?
Old 03-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I stopped in a Verizon store the other day, they knew absolutely nothing. I did find out you have to sign a two year contract to get any kind of discounts on phones...that's pretty f'd up.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by acuraddict
I did find out you have to sign a two year contract to get any kind of discounts on phones...that's pretty f'd up.
That's actually not true.

Typically Verizon has three prices for their phones:

Full, (ridiculously high) price, for no extension of your contract
Partially discounted price for 1-year contract (or extension)
Fully discounted price for 2-year contract (or extension)

At least this has been my experience.
Andy W.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:15 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, the part of the discount will (or will not) come as a rebate on phone. Last time I lost $100 worth of Rebate from Verizon. They said they never got my forms and UPC code. My bad, I did not keep the copies and ended up with 2 years contract. Anyway the plan is the best I could get in the market. 1000 anytime minutes for $40.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Does anyone have any news? I called customer service, they no nada.

If this was true for the 15th, wouldn't somebody know/say something??
Old 03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Instructor

i would sure think someone would know something. Maybe the first guy was blowing smoke, because I stopped by the mall yesterday and they new jack. I keep checking the Verizon news website and no news. I will give them until the end of the month then off to AT&T.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

FWIW, I sent an email to Verizon Wireless customer service:

My new car allows a bluetooth enabled mobile phone to
automatically connect with the car's audio system and phone calls can be
made without physically handling the phone. Do you plan on adding phones
with bluetooth capability to your line up? If not, why? If so, when?

Their response:
Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

We appreciate your interest in the incorporation of Bluetooth Technology with Verizon Wireless services. At this time we do not offer products to support this technology. However, our Research and
Development Team has been studying the ability to incorporate Bluetooth technology with our products and services.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally posted by numexbigjim
FWIW, I sent an email to Verizon Wireless customer service:

My new car allows a bluetooth enabled mobile phone to
automatically connect with the car's audio system and phone calls can be
made without physically handling the phone. Do you plan on adding phones
with bluetooth capability to your line up? If not, why? If so, when?

Their response:

We appreciate your interest in the incorporation of Bluetooth Technology with Verizon Wireless services. At this time we do not offer products to support this technology. However, our Research and
Development Team has been studying the ability to incorporate Bluetooth technology with our products and services.
Wow, thanks for the useless reponse Verizon. See u later. Been a great 5 years, Hello T-Mobile
Old 03-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Instructor

I am right behind you moreace. Damn, I will miss thier customer service, I have yet to find a company that is more polite or helpful on the phone...
Old 03-07-2004, 04:19 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by numexbigjim
Their response:

I had an identical response to my email inquiry.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Racer

Me too. I specifically asked them about the V710 and I got this stock form letter response. I wrote back and said, that wasn't the question I asked. Have yet to hear a response.

Personally, I'll be sticking it out for a few more months. I have no desire to step down to an inferior cell network just to get bluetooth. That fancy new bluetooth phone won't help you much when you have trouble making calls. The phone will come out eventually, probably more like summer time. I've been waiting this long, a couple more extra months isn't gonna kill me.

It's kinda like how you can't use the nice picture-in-picture display on your tv because the cable co requires a box. You gonna ditch your cable service and go back to just the network channels just to get PIP?

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face, as they say. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by marquis
Me too. I specifically asked them about the V710 and I got this stock form letter response. I wrote back and said, that wasn't the question I asked. Have yet to hear a response.

Personally, I'll be sticking it out for a few more months. I have no desire to step down to an inferior cell network just to get bluetooth. That fancy new bluetooth phone won't help you much when you have trouble making calls. The phone will come out eventually, probably more like summer time. I've been waiting this long, a couple more extra months isn't gonna kill me.

It's kinda like how you can't use the nice picture-in-picture display on your tv because the cable co requires a box. You gonna ditch your cable service and go back to just the network channels just to get PIP?

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face, as they say. But that's just my opinion.
Marquis,

I am in the same boat with you and completely agrre. I build RF networks for AWS and others and can personally tell you that no one can match Verizon.

Quick Reply: Verizon & Bluetooth, 3/15/04