3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vented hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
i just want to remind every1 that the TL is a luxury car. tying to make it faster is 1 thing but this??? have some class! this thread should be locked!!!! lol
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
i just want to remind every1 that the TL is a luxury car. tying to make it faster is 1 thing but this??? have some class! this thread should be locked!!!! lol
I agree plus has anyone really thought of what would happen to the alternator if by chance you're driving in the rain with one of those hoods on. Wouldn't it get soaked?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
omg.. u guys are funny.. i hope this guy gets a hood with a hole in it.. and makes it nice.. Just like this guy (IMO it is clean except the logo lol):
Name:  IMAG0026.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  72.7 KB

There are a bunch of cars with hood vents from the factory.. no issues with alternators or anything.. so stop saying things like this..

TLs are going to be the next is300's like someone else said since pricing is getting into the low teens .. so be ready for these kinds of questions.. Im excited even though most are not..

I think the more people that start modding the TL will make vendors realize that there is a market for making parts for our car.. So more options!! woohooo!!

A good example of this is the roof wings.. there are a bunch of different ones on ebay right now! When I bought my car 2 years ago there were NOOO options.. except the m5 trunk wings retrofitted to fit.. now they have specific wings made for our car.

I read someone's sig on here and it said: "If people are not hating then you probably are not doing it right" love that quote..

who cares what others think, its your car!! Just make sure you have the backbone to hear the criticism! and make sure you execute it well.. dont ghetto rig anything..

I think Execution is KEY..
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
The "s" in type-s stands for sport.

Originally Posted by bzyrice
omg.. u guys are funny.. i hope this guy gets a hood with a hole in it.. and makes it nice.. Just like this guy (IMO it is clean except the logo lol):

There are a bunch of cars with hood vents from the factory.. no issues with alternators or anything.. so stop saying things like this..

TLs are going to be the next is300's like someone else said since pricing is getting into the low teens .. so be ready for these kinds of questions.. Im excited even though most are not..

I think the more people that start modding the TL will make vendors realize that there is a market for making parts for our car.. So more options!! woohooo!!

A good example of this is the roof wings.. there are a bunch of different ones on ebay right now! When I bought my car 2 years ago there were NOOO options.. except the m5 trunk wings retrofitted to fit.. now they have specific wings made for our car.

I read someone's sig on here and it said: "If people are not hating then you probably are not doing it right" love that quote..

who cares what others think, its your car!! Just make sure you have the backbone to hear the criticism! and make sure you execute it well.. dont ghetto rig anything..

I think Execution is KEY..
Agreed, I'm all about mods that have form and function.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I could care less. In fact, I find some of the wheels on our cars to be far more visually abhorrent. At least a vent serves some function. Would be really cool if it only opened when the temperature exceeded a certain level.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
In terms of car class justification, the type-s, which is what I own, is a sport sedan just like the m3.
Originally Posted by ggesq
i said the same thing ggesq when i read that statement.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Driver Mod

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, that's ugly. Such a rookie move.
The TL has a great aesthetic, The hood need's a little more work though.
I mean, everything on this car is great, Grille, Raced out interior with full guages and even the wheels/suspension look hawt...but that hood !

As a designer I adhere to the "aesthetic sensitivity" school of thought.
In the past, I have designed and made body panels and motorcycle fairings out of fiberglass, I also know a couple of really good designers that can assist in this venture. However, I not to sure that anyone is willing to fully fund a project of this nature.

If anyone is interested though, you know where to find me.

T
Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
You took what I said out of context. All I'm saying is that they are both sport sedans...is that not true?
Redeemed, and yes it's true. Although FWD <300hp and RWD >400hp shouldn't be in the same genre, they are.

I'm really surprised at how controversial of an idea a vented carbon fiber hood for the tl is. What with people putting wheels on their cars that don't fit with tires that are designed for much smaller wheels and people obsessively replacing every bulb in their car with led's etc etc...I don't get it.
Again, very good point.

I think the idea of a vented hood is a good one and can be pulled off tastefully. I would only consider it if I were making the power to back up the aggressive statement a hood like that would make. It should also be pointed out that a vented hood is not necessarily the same as a louvered hood. Louvers should be kept to hot rods and S7s, and they're too much on the S7.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
There was already a few pics posted on page 1 so don't say I don't know what it would look like. There's the Realtime Racing TL posted and that white one which the hood looks out of place on it.
You DONT know. What you made clear is you DONT like the hood.

That I understand. But on a regular TL painted body color you DONT know what it would look like.

You all keep saying that the TL is luxury. But I hate to break it to you. Its not. Its close but its not luxury.

Its a cosmetic mod, just like anything else. You wouldnt do it, fine, I would. Its no different then any other mod on a TL. Arguing on whether or not it should be on a TL is stupid. Half the shit we do to our TLs isnt really worth doing. We do it because it suits our needs.

Why dont you go into the photo threads and start telling people that staggering wheels is stupid.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I'm not seeing as that at all. All I'm saying is you look at a TL and you know a vented hood doesn't belong on it. How much heat can you possibly build up under the hood that you would honestly need it is what I'm saying. It's not like 10mins of sitting after you drove it it's not gonna start to cool down anyway. And the purpose of the thread I gather was more for looks to begin with.
A vented hood can belong on any car, for that matter whats the problem with it? Is it necessary to have a solid hood?

The purpose of cutting the vents in COOLING and LOOKS. With the vent cut-out, air can flow in through the front of the car and out and over the hood. This helps cool down the motor significantly.

From my personal experience with my 760, I can drive 12 hrs and when I get home my hood is ice cold. If I let it sit for about 30 minutes I can cook a egg on the hood because a large amount of heat transfers.

Take a look at inaccurate's thread on the ultimate cooling mod, same thing really. That just takes another route of air out while this is taking another.

By putting a vent on the hood, it isn't implying your car is a race car. My 760 has vents, the BMW 750 (V8) has it and they aren't race cars. Its simple engineering! The lower the temp of the engine bay, the longer the components will last!

Also guys, keep it civil and to the facts, don't throw in random junk. The next person to do so will get a vacation.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
The interview with the guy who helped work on the Thunderhill TL has some pretty informative stuff to say about the vented hood. I think you can still get the Honda Tuning issue online
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by trancemission
You all keep saying that the TL is luxury. But I hate to break it to you. Its not. Its close but its not luxury.

Its a cosmetic mod, just like anything else. You wouldnt do it, fine, I would. Its no different then any other mod on a TL. Arguing on whether or not it should be on a TL is stupid. Half the shit we do to our TLs isnt really worth doing. We do it because it suits our needs.

Why dont you go into the photo threads and start telling people that staggering wheels is stupid.
Exactly, the tl is not a luxury car and it was not marketed by Acura as a luxury car. The "s" in type-s stands for sport.

Originally Posted by csmeance
By putting a vent on the hood, it isn't implying your car is a race car. My 760 has vents, the BMW 750 (V8) has it and they aren't race cars. Its simple engineering! The lower the temp of the engine bay, the longer the components will last!
Well said, I think you got to the heart of the matter here.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
these can be had for cheap and come with rain gutters i think.

http://www.oman4x4.com/frank/ventpaint2.jpg

they are pontiac hood vents
Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Pro

here are more ideas

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26um%3D1
Old 02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would so rock out with my hood out if I could get a CF vented hood like the one on the M. Had a vented hood on a Prelude and loved it. It is all personal preference and I personally like it when it is done tastefully. A 3 inch cowl hood is not the right fit for a TL, some side vents to help keep the temp under the hood down, .
Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by Bender
funny...not
Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
again with this... i duno what else to say
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bender
these can be had for cheap and come with rain gutters i think.

http://www.oman4x4.com/frank/ventpaint2.jpg

they are pontiac hood vents
Those probably wouldn't look bad at all. I'm thinking that style or the style (nostrils?) that are on the e92 m3.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Pro

here you go then

it has the DIY, parts number, website to get them.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Pro

Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Old 02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the mods, that vent on the racecar is hot. If that was done right it would look mint jmo
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I would run a vented hood on my vehicle. Who cares about the alternator and shit honestly...A properly designed vented hood should not matter. You also have to think about the pressures developed under the hood when you are driving "fast". A vented hood is not just for aesthetics if it were the Thunderhill TL would not have run it. I plan to design one in the future that is functional even though people might not like "how it looks" I have seen a lot worse. The white TL is done pretty nicely but its overkill and not that functional. I am pretty sure it gets rid of the heat but its not all that functional. Anyway vented hoods done properly get a +1 from me regardless of what people say.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Exactly, the tl is not a luxury car and it was not marketed by Acura as a luxury car. The "s" in type-s stands for sport.
well.....my point is this, I asked a question about the home depot mod.

It was "is there any functoinality to this" The response to my post made me think.

So its really a matter of whether or not you would do it. Would I do a Home Depot mod to my front lip? prob not. But Im not going to waste my energy in a thread to try to convince the person doing it why he shouldnt. If I think its ugly Ill say it. But trying to say whether or not the TL is luxury is moot when it comes to modding it. thats just my opinion.

The Thunderhill hood just has an aggressive look to it that really catches my eye.....
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

You guys have had me thinking lately, My dad used to teach plastics shop in hs. He has a gt40 with 2 different hoods/ scoops. I was thinking of working with him to take a mold of the gt40 hood scoop because it is very similar to the race car scoop. I will let you know how it goes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by trancemission
well.....my point is this, I asked a question about the home depot mod.

It was "is there any functoinality to this" The response to my post made me think.

So its really a matter of whether or not you would do it. Would I do a Home Depot mod to my front lip? prob not. But Im not going to waste my energy in a thread to try to convince the person doing it why he shouldnt. If I think its ugly Ill say it. But trying to say whether or not the TL is luxury is moot when it comes to modding it. thats just my opinion.

The Thunderhill hood just has an aggressive look to it that really catches my eye.....
I would agree with that; people are gonna do what they want when it comes to their cars. Me personally, I ascribe to the form follows function ideal when it comes to cars but that's just me.

I'm not about putting "rice" on my car and by rice I mean mods that are from without function. In the case of a vented CF hood there is function in a mod like that and I don't understand how there can be a debate about that. As far as the look of a vented hood well that's subjective; if somebody hates the look oh well.

Originally Posted by Dan1629
You guys have had me thinking lately, My dad used to teach plastics shop in hs. He has a gt40 with 2 different hoods/ scoops. I was thinking of working with him to take a mold of the gt40 hood scoop because it is very similar to the race car scoop. I will let you know how it goes
Do it!! Post some pics of the hoods and Keep us updated.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

The GT40 has a completely different scoop than the thunderhill TL. The Thunderhill one forces air though the radiator, through the fans, over the front of the motor and then out the hood. The one in the GT40 is for only the radiator as the motor is in the rear of the car. As well in the GT40 it provides some downforce to keep the front end down at higher speeds.

But please do ask your dad! Many of the members here would surely appreciate it!

I would agree with that; people are gonna do what they want when it comes to their cars. Me personally, I ascribe to the form follows function ideal when it comes to cars but that's just me.

I'm not about putting "rice" on my car and by rice I mean mods that are from without function. In the case of a vented CF hood there is function in a mod like that and I don't understand how there can be a debate about that. As far as the look of a vented hood well that's subjective; if somebody hates the look oh well.

Do it!! Post some pics of the hoods and Keep us updated.
there is a balance between form and function on many things in life; failure to realize this won't get you far in life.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by csmeance
The GT40 has a completely different scoop than the thunderhill TL. The Thunderhill one forces air though the radiator, through the fans, over the front of the motor and then out the hood. The one in the GT40 is for only the radiator as the motor is in the rear of the car. As well in the GT40 it provides some downforce to keep the front end down at higher speeds.

But please do ask your dad! Many of the members here would surely appreciate it!

there is a balance between form and function on many things in life; failure to realize this won't get you far in life.
you are definately correct if you look at a gt40 you will see that there are 4 scoops in the hood. The one i am talking about is the center scoops on one hood single scoop on the other. I am interested in the scoops that sit right behind the radiator. granted I don't see any performance coming out of this but I hate how much heat is under the hood in the hot weather. I want to use it as a mold but know it will have to be modified to look right on a tl
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

you are definately correct if you look at a gt40 you will see that there are 4 scoops in the hood. The one i am talking about is the center scoops on one hood single scoop on the other. I am interested in the scoops that sit right behind the radiator. granted I don't see any performance coming out of this but I hate how much heat is under the hood in the hot weather. I want to use it as a mold but know it will have to be modified to look right on a tl
The only way to have a scoop work on a TL is to have it near the rear of the engine so all the air can go over the Intake Manifold and out the hood, kinda like on my 7 (it's on the hood, duh!):
Name:  IMAGE_205.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  90.6 KB

Excuse the dirty pic, its from one of my earlier threads showing how dirty the car was...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

yea that is totaly funcional. maybe a 1inch or less cowel induction style would work. idk I just liked the look of the racecar scoop looked cool. I like to be different but it has to look clean. I don't consider my TL-S a racecar but the style of the car gets me going just have to be careful and not take away from the lines of the car.

btw cs I should be in your town right now getting ready to see the race. I wasn't able to go this year but my brother is there having a blast even in the rain
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

yea that is totaly funcional. maybe a 1inch or less cowel induction style would work. idk I just liked the look of the racecar scoop looked cool. I like to be different but it has to look clean. I don't consider my TL-S a racecar but the style of the car gets me going just have to be careful and not take away from the lines of the car.

btw cs I should be in your town right now getting ready to see the race. I wasn't able to go this year but my brother is there having a blast even in the rain
No offense to anyone, but sometimes these races are horrible for local folks here. I've probably been pised more times during the 500 or some other event here because of these stupid idiots with trucks lifted 8 feet in the air tail-gating me or driving stupidly. Hopefully one day the police can do their jobs and get rid of these assholes with their bumpers as high as my roof rather than pull over people who have the wrong color tint...