3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vented hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
skd2k1 I'm not picking a arguement with you at all so don't take it personally. I just simply saying somethings just should be on a car like the TL. Just like someone mentioned that the lexus IS went the way of being a riced out car now and the TL is headed down the same path. If someone wants to put that hood on their car so be it, its their car to do whatever they like with it. I just don't see the logic in putting parts like that that we all know won't be as beneficial to the TL as it would be to a high HP car.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Read before you speak I never said it "=" anything. I said "trying". A vented hood belongs on a car that would be beneficial to it. Would you buy a Rolls Royce and put a friggin vented hood on it just to cool it down, no I don't think so. Also since I did mention hp are you actually pushing your TL to the limt when you drive to work or school or the damn supermarket??? I mean really I gotta push the 200+ hp my TL-S has just to get to the store and I need the hood to keep it cool for the 10 blocks I'm gonna drive otherwise it'll get too hot. Don't get me wrong if someone is building a tl for full purpose race then by all means do whatever you need to get the edge. But if you're just putting a vented hood on just for shits and giggles, then you'll think you're the shit while everyone giggles at you!! While you're at it go and put on the rear bumper cutout crap cause you'll need to get more downforce to go faster to get to the store before the car gets hot.

Are you confusing engine operating temperature with cold air to keep everything cooler?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Read before you speak I never said it "=" anything. I said "trying". A vented hood belongs on a car that would be beneficial to it. Would you buy a Rolls Royce and put a friggin vented hood on it just to cool it down, no I don't think so. Also since I did mention hp are you actually pushing your TL to the limt when you drive to work or school or the damn supermarket??? I mean really I gotta push the 200+ hp my TL-S has just to get to the store and I need the hood to keep it cool for the 10 blocks I'm gonna drive otherwise it'll get too hot. Don't get me wrong if someone is building a tl for full purpose race then by all means do whatever you need to get the edge. But if you're just putting a vented hood on just for shits and giggles, then you'll think you're the shit while everyone giggles at you!! While you're at it go and put on the rear bumper cutout crap cause you'll need to get more downforce to go faster to get to the store before the car gets hot.
Wow take it easy there pal; no need to get your panties in a wad. So what you said was a vented hood = wanna be race car, ok right got it. Like I already said, less heat = better performance on any application. Let me know where I lost you on that one.

Ok, let me make sure I understand you, if one is "pushing (their) tl to the limit" then it is ok to have a vented hood? Is that right?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

skd2k1 I'm not picking a arguement with you at all so don't take it personally. I just simply saying somethings just should be on a car like the TL. Just like someone mentioned that the lexus IS went the way of being a riced out car now and the TL is headed down the same path. If someone wants to put that hood on their car so be it, its their car to do whatever they like with it. I just don't see the logic in putting parts like that that we all know won't be as beneficial to the TL as it would be to a high HP car.
Nothing personal here bro!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by bzyrice
do you need air horns? lol (I remember reading your thread about the VSA light)
Uhm yeah as a matter of fact I do when you live in NYC with people that sleep at the wheel. And the VSA light was a matter of the tech at the dealer saying some b.s. cause they spotted something aftermarket on the car and tried to make that the blame when it wasn't cause then after the fact they blamed my heated seat as the problem which it wasn't. they just didn't want to fix it at their cost.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Would you buy a Rolls Royce and put a friggin vented hood on it just to cool it down, no I don't think so.
Maybe not a Rolls but how bout on a bentley?! edit: that is oem btw.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by skd2k1
Wow take it easy there pal; no need to get your panties in a wad. So what you said was a vented hood = wanna be race car, ok right got it. Like I already said, less heat = better performance on any application. Let me know where I lost you on that one.

Ok, let me make sure I understand you, if one is "pushing (their) tl to the limit" then it is ok to have a vented hood? Is that right?
never lost me at all. but like someone else mentioned you can remove the hood gasket at the windsheild so that the hot air can escape just the same, or raise the hood up like said before. And by all means I didn't mena to come out like that it's just people get caught up between Form, Function and Fashion. After a while they forget what each means.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
under renovations....

Maybe not a Rolls but how bout on a bentley?! edit: that is oem btw.

Got a top view of that cause it looks like it could be more along the lines of styling more then function. look at the drivers side it doesn't look like it goes thru.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

never lost me at all. but like someone else mentioned you can remove the hood gasket at the windsheild so that the hot air can escape just the same, or raise the hood up like said before. And by all means I didn't mena to come out like that it's just people get caught up between Form, Function and Fashion. After a while they forget what each means.
I am a firm believer that when it comes to automobiles form should follow function. And I don't believe a vented hood violates this ideal...as long as it is done in a tasteful way. One more example for the road:

Name:  e92_red_7.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  67.0 KB

A hood like that would look great on a tl and it would reduce under hood temp. That car is beautiful...best looking sport sedan on the road right now IMO.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
all i have to say to this thread.......is.........why?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Fatfrii
Read the thread I already explained why.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Fatfrii
Have you actually read the responses?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
under renovations....

Yeah I'll agree with you about the BMW in the pic but honestly when you see that car you think of racing it and whippin the hell out of it right. Do you think the same way about the TL?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
One on the right for me

Again, it doesn't have to be about racing. Having cooler temps underhood will increase power. I don't know why you see that as a negative.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 PM
under renovations....

Ok enough ranting on my part stressed out beyond belief, but not about this just something personal. I'm gonna go buy those vents that go on the fenders like the Buick Lucerne lol!!
Suzuka Master

Yeah I'll agree with you about the BMW in the pic but honestly when you see that car you think of racing it and whippin the hell out of it right. Do you think the same way about the TL?
Originally Posted by subinf
Again, it doesn't have to be about racing. Having cooler temps underhood will increase power. I don't know why you see that as a negative.
Exactly, the function of the hood is to reduce under hood temp. This concept is universally applicable. Combine this with carbon fiber and the right vent to compliment and enhance the looks of a tl and that is a great mod.
Suzuka Master

Ok enough ranting on my part stressed out beyond belief, but not about this just something personal. I'm gonna go buy those vents that go on the fenders like the Buick Lucerne lol!!
lol, no function there dude!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM
One on the right for me

Exactly, the function of the hood is to reduce under hood temp. This concept is universally applicable. Combine this with carbon fiber and the right vent to compliment and enhance the looks of a tl and that is a great mod.
I don't think it will look good but I do understand why it is done.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
under renovations....

I'm not seeing as that at all. All I'm saying is you look at a TL and you know a vented hood doesn't belong on it. How much heat can you possibly build up under the hood that you would honestly need it is what I'm saying. It's not like 10mins of sitting after you drove it it's not gonna start to cool down anyway. And the purpose of the thread I gather was more for looks to begin with.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think it will look good but I do understand why it is done.
Looks are subjective and everyone's got their own idea of what looks good; so if you think its ugly what the hell can anyone say, right? But function is objective, I don't understand how there is a debate about the function.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
under renovations....

lol, no function there dude!
wait I'm gonna cut circles out of my rear bumper too then heat and cut the springs too lol!!

Edit: and about 20lbs of colored wire loom for the engine bay
Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM
One on the right for me

I'm not seeing as that at all. All I'm saying is you look at a TL and you know a vented hood doesn't belong on it. How much heat can you possibly build up under the hood that you would honestly need it is what I'm saying. It's not like 10mins of sitting after you drove it it's not gonna start to cool down anyway. And the purpose of the thread I gather was more for looks to begin with.
For the rest of us who use the TL beyond its grocery getting abilities, I don't see it as a bad thing. But sure, if you only drive it 10 minutes at a time, then yeah, no benefit for you.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

As far a functional justification is concerned, a vented carbon fiber hood will lighten up the hood and reduce heat...no debate there. It would do this on any car. In terms of car class justification, the type-s, which is what I own, is a sport sedan just like the m3.

The purpose of the thread is form and function. Most modifications involve sacrificing some type of function in exchange for better performance. With a mod like this you give up nothing...unless you hate the way it looks. But, like I said, looks are subjective.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM
under renovations....

do you need air horns? lol (I remember reading your thread about the VSA light)
btw do you need those puddle lights for landing?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
haha.. I was waiting for you to say something.. I like it and thats all that matters! And yes I need to make sure my nice shoes dont get wet.. HAHA
Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM
under renovations....

haha.. I was waiting for you to say something.. I like it and thats all that matters! And yes I need to make sure my nice shoes dont get wet.. HAHA
So the lights are high-powered shoe driers?!?!?! j/k

Look up to the begining of page 2 I responded earlier but you didn't so I had to give another shot to ya. All in good fun bro
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
One on the right for me

That's pretty funny
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
In terms of car class justification, the type-s, which is what I own, is a sport sedan just like the m3.

Here's my subjective opinion- I don't like the way it looks.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
So the lights are high-powered shoe driers?!?!?! j/k

Look up to the begining of page 2 I responded earlier but you didn't so I had to give another shot to ya. All in good fun bro
no they are to see puddles in the dark.. DUH!! haha shoe dryers .. lol

I think my puddle lights are the biggest and easiest thing to make fun of my car.. but dang do I love the way it looks!!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ggesq

Here's my subjective opinion- I don't like the way it looks.
Do you like the way it looks on the m3?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop comparing your Honda's to expensive European 400 hp cars. They are reliable commuters that get good mileage not not top end race cars.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I dont care what yall say. Id rock that hood on the race TL.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
But if you're just putting a vented hood on just for shits and giggles, then you'll think you're the shit while everyone giggles at you!! .
That is a load of crap. First off you have no idea what that hood would really look like on "non race" TL. This is all just your opinion which you have made very clear.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
the type-s, which is what I own, is a sport sedan just like the m3.
Not even close.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NWSTL
Not even close.
You took what I said out of context. All I'm saying is that they are both sport sedans...is that not true?

I'm really surprised at how controversial of an idea a vented carbon fiber hood for the tl is. What with people putting wheels on their cars that don't fit with tires that are designed for much smaller wheels and people obsessively replacing every bulb in their car with led's etc etc...I don't get it.

Last edited by skd2k1; 02-08-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 AM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ugly! damn haha but im sure if mugen made a vented hood that sat flush it would look nice.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I'm really surprised at how controversial of an idea a vented carbon fiber hood ..........I don't get it.
skd2k1,

You're ok. You just placed your thread in the wrong place.

For future reference, this thread would had faired better if it was placed in the "Performance Parts & Modifications" subforum.

Different strokes for different folks. You just gotta make sure of the crowd that you're hanging around. You will have a better fit with the crowd that hangs in the Performance subforum.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
skd2k1,

You're ok. You just placed your thread in the wrong place.

For future reference, this thread would had faired better if it was placed in the "Performance Parts & Modifications" subforum.

Different strokes for different folks. You just gotta make sure of the crowd that you're hanging around. You will have a better fit with the crowd that hangs in the Performance subforum.
Thanks dude, next time I will post in there! I actually came from the bmw community before I owned an Acura. So I thought it was kinda strange that no one is into the vented hood idea. I guess it was just poor placement
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by trancemission
That is a load of crap. First off you have no idea what that hood would really look like on "non race" TL. This is all just your opinion which you have made very clear.
There was already a few pics posted on page 1 so don't say I don't know what it would look like. There's the Realtime Racing TL posted and that white one which the hood looks out of place on it.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You took what I said out of context. All I'm saying is that they are both sport sedans...is that not true?

I'm really surprised at how controversial of an idea a vented carbon fiber hood for the tl is. What with people putting wheels on their cars that don't fit with tires that are designed for much smaller wheels and people obsessively replacing every bulb in their car with led's etc etc...I don't get it.
All of that is gay too.

Quick Reply: vented hood?