Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two problems not addressed with 04

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two problems not addressed with 04

The two biggest complaints I have with my 02 Type S they didn't fix with the 04. The weak brakes on the automatic and the uncomfortable passenger seat. My wife hates ridding in my car because the passenger seat is so unconfortable only 4 way adjustable. The first road tests I have read made mention of the poor stopping distance of the automatic like the previous model. The 04 automatic have the same size brakes as my 02.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
didn't fix crappy turn radius either
Old 10-27-2003, 10:44 AM
8th Gear

it's curious they didn't put brembos on both 6MT and 5AT.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Racer

Heh you want to see crappy turning radius drive a PT Cruiser. I feel like I am turning a tractor trailer when I drive my wifes.

I think some of the turning radius has to do with wheel base and double wishbone suspension. Not sure exactly how but I believe I read that somewhere.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by chadr
Heh you want to see crappy turning radius drive a PT Cruiser. I feel like I am turning a tractor trailer when I drive my wifes.

I think some of the turning radius has to do with wheel base and double wishbone suspension. Not sure exactly how but I believe I read that somewhere.
And wheel/tire combo size.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Two problems not addressed with 04

Originally posted by fdsonn
The two biggest complaints I have with my 02 Type S they didn't fix with the 04. The weak brakes on the automatic and the uncomfortable passenger seat. My wife hates ridding in my car because the passenger seat is so unconfortable only 4 way adjustable. The first road tests I have read made mention of the poor stopping distance of the automatic like the previous model. The 04 automatic have the same size brakes as my 02.
They did fixed the brakes at least to reduce warping, which is the main concern from the customers. They added the brembos to the 6 speed.

"The front brakes are ventilated cast-iron discs with single-piston calipers. For better fade resistance, cooling air flows to the brakes through the front fender air duct ahead of the front wheels. This cooling airflow reduces the brake temperature by 46 degrees Celsius (84 degrees Fahrenheit) in high-demand fade tests. The rear brakes are solid discs, gripped by single piston calipers.

Acura-Brembo rotors and aluminum-alloy front brake calipers are standard on the TL equipped with the Dynamic Package. The calipers have four pistons each, and more aggressive pad material, to offer improved brake feel and reduced fade in hard repeated brake applications. They are also 30 percent lighter than the standard calipers, saving 2 kg (4.3 lbs.) per wheel, which in turn improves suspension response for better ride and handling. The calipers feature and attractive black painted finish with the Acura name.

A single 10-inch vacuum booster is used to reduce weight, increase stiffness and deliver more direct braking feel. In a departure from the previous TL, a hand parking brake is used instead of a foot brake. This applies to both automatic and manual transmission models.

Stopping distances from 100 km/h (60 mph) have improved considerably from the previous TL Type S. In internal testing the 2004 TL with all-season tires out-brakes the Lexus ES 300, and when equipped with summer high-performance tires the 2004 TL out-brakes the 2003 BMW 530i (also with high-performance tires).
"

Is the passenger seat actually uncomfortable to your wife or your wife just can't find a comfortable setting? I find the passenger seat on my 99 TL more comfortable than the driver seat.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:21 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Telescoping steering wheel was a big complaint. That's been adressed. The Bloze audio system was a big complaint. ELS is better, not incredible, but a lot better. (it needs more power.)
One of the first things I want to do is try to find a replacement for those "full-range" rears.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Angry

I was very disappointed to see that Acura still has not offered the ability to have the rear seat fold down in the TL. Just about every other car in this class either has this feature as standard or is optional. Even the Accord has a fold down rear seat, so it's not like they don't have the parts around to do so.

The other thing is the old-fashion separate alarm remote/key fob. Most of the other luxury brands have gone to the combined remote and key. I really like the Volvo and VW remotes, the key folds back into the remote, so all you have in your pocket is a box the size of a matchbox. Nothing to poke you or scratch stuff.

Another thing is the TL trunk hinge. Why can't they engineer one that doesn't intrude into the alrealy smallish trunk. Audi has been doing this for years as have other brands.

As long as Acura does stuff like this (among other things) they will always appear to be behind the pack in the luxo market. It would be nice to see them take a step up, and become a true luxury or near luxury brand instead of appearing to be just a nicer Honda.... just my opinion. The new TL has a lot of innovations, but I thing we are getting them in place of some of the other things mentioned here. If Acura included all the things mentioned, we'd probably have a $40K TL.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:16 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

They should fold down
60/40 split
I don't have the car, but u can see teh cutout of the pass though when u look in the trunk. Check you manual or look harder for the switch
Old 10-27-2003, 03:21 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mook
Another thing is the TL trunk hinge. Why can't they engineer one that doesn't intrude into the alrealy smallish trunk. Audi has been doing this for years as have other brands.
FYI - the new 7 series has a hinge like the TL, only difference (big), you push a botton on the new 7 series and it closes by it self (like a minivan hatch!)
Old 10-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Moreace,

I've looked at the car (don't own one yet) and all it has is the pass through. Great for carrying long skinny stuff, but living in Houston Texas, I don't need it for skis

I would love to be corrected by an 04 TL owner on this, as this is a major reason why I wouldn't buy this car. I am going from 2 cars (a Miata and a CR-V) to one and would like to have some utility in the replacement car. That is why I am considering the Infiniti FX35, but I am having trouble getting past the cheesy interior and the lack of features without having to spend over $40K. Besides I have owned a lot of Hondas and really like them best overall.

I just figure they think Acura owners don't need a fold down seat for some reason.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:38 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mook
FYI - the new 7 series has a hinge like the TL, only difference (big), you push a botton on the new 7 series and it closes by it self (like a minivan hatch!)
Old 10-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Sorry, u just can't be right, has to have pass though

look at this pic, u can see the outline the enire way around of the folding seat, same as what mine looks like. Can't be decorative.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Moreace,

Yeah that looks like an opening, but if the seats were 60/40 wouldn't you see the split on either side of the armrest/passthrough?

It could be like the Accord and the entire back seat folds down though.

Like I said, I would love for a 04 owner to clear this up because I've seen nothing on the web site on this, all that is mentioned is the pass through.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

come on owners
help mook out
I am speculating here
get w/ the program
we got folding seats or what?
show me the folding seats!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Racer

mook- I am 99.9% sure they do not fold in any way. If you are looking at the FX-45 you should check out the Toureg. They are not selling well and you can get them for really good pricing. They are an absolutely amazing vehicle. If I wanted and SUV I would be all over a Toureg.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
OK, OK, moreace! j/k, just saw this for the 1st time.

NO folding seats at all. I believe the logic is the same as for the previous TL--there are crossbeams across the rear seats that add rigidity to the cabin. I carry cargo so seldom that I don't miss the feature. Besides, my in-laws (they live next door ) have a minivan we can use! Even if I didn't, U-Haul is not too far away.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
Team SSM

They are not selling well and you can get them for really good pricing. They are an absolutely amazing vehicle. If I wanted and SUV I would be all over a Toureg.
I'ld go with the FX 45, they're so dam awesome
Old 10-27-2003, 05:11 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

mook- I am 99.9% sure they do not fold in any way. If you are looking at the FX-45 you should check out the Toureg. They are not selling well and you can get them for really good pricing. They are an absolutely amazing vehicle. If I wanted and SUV I would be all over a Toureg.

NOOOOOOO don't do it
Stay away from VW
don't touch that thing w/ a 10 foot pole
VW sux, shotty material, damn ****ty quality
I refer you to myvwlemon.com
I know 3 people w/ VWs all have outright rediculous horror stories and buying VW was biggest mistake ever made
STAY AWAY!

as for teh FX, it is being compared by soem to teh Porchse Cayenne, if you don't mind the styling then it could be a good pick. I have been hearing great things and Infiniti has the quality to and engine power to go w/ it. Best of luck

I would def go TL or FX if out of the 3 choices. VW should not enter the picture Sorry, but I had to deal w./teh dealer a lot and I feel strongly about this.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Thanks folks for the advise. Actually I've driven a Touareg and the V6 is just to underpowered and the V8 cost too much. Actually the Touareg has some of the best build quality of any VW I've seen. Almost as good as Audi (and I can say that, I had an A4). But all the Audi/Porsche/VW products aren't the best for reliability, and thus ruled out from my quest for the perfect car.

I've had three Honda products (one Acura and two Hondas) and all three have been bullet proof. No major problems. So, I naturally gravitate to the TL.

The FX has a lot against it: very expensive with all the options (even the V6 RWD), no Bluetooth, no voice control, lousy MPG, inferior interior materials and quality for a $35K+ vehicle. Luckily my CR-V will be sold to the mother of a close friend and I will have access to it when I need it. So the TL really isn't that big a sacrifice to utility. Sometimes we obscess about things that we only do a small percentage of the time.

The only think I can say about Infiniti is that they have Acura beat in the customer service department.

Now back to the topic at hand....

I predict that in the first "refreshing" of the TL we will see the mirrors with directional signals like the TSX and the ability to play MP3 CDs.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Well if you buy a Neon, er a PT Cruiser, which IMHO is aweful and ranks up there with the Aztek, thats what happens when you buy a Chrysler product. You either love or hate the PT Cruiser, there is no in between.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Advanced

www.myvwlemon.com
Old 10-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Racer

Originally posted by BLEXV6
Well if you buy a Neon, er a PT Cruiser, which IMHO is aweful and ranks up there with the Aztek, thats what happens when you buy a Chrysler product. You either love or hate the PT Cruiser, there is no in between.
Certainily not my choice, the wife picked it. I advocated an Accord or an A4 but she wanted the PT. Now that she has had it for awhile she regrets it but oh well those are the choices you make. The Asstek comparison is a little harsh though.

moreace- The Toureg is bad but the Cayenne is good? They are the same vehicle. VW and Audi have had some recent issues with window regulators and coil packs but overall they are still decent vehicles. You can point out anyone that wants to publicize problems with their car regardless of brand. Look at Sherlock with his 2 week old TL and all the problems he has had. A bad apple does not mean a bad bunch. The Toureg is an extremely impressive vehicle in nearly every regard (the nav system is the worst part I have seen).

As far as price goes I would bet you can buy a v8 toureg for 40k at this point, least you can in my area.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

I said nothing about the Toureg
I said VW the company in general
The TL has 1 majot problemed car which was an early vin

VW has consistant problems across their lines w/ absolute CRAP and are useless. 2 of my friends burn oil like nothign else in new cars adn VW says it is acceptable. Feel free to get it. No *****ing later though. We wont wanna hear it.

Personally I think all German cars are going downhill reliability, but I wont generalize casue people get mad. VW by far teh most, teh BMW, and even MB is getting crappy IMO

we posted www.vwlemon.com as we posted before
tons of people all reporting the exact same problem and VW still wotn recognize it. Just rediculous. they have a ****ty prodect
Old 10-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Racer

Moreace - not to be a total jerk but please, please spell and grammer check your posts. I feel like I am in a hooked on phonics lesson and it completely undermines your credibility as a poster.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Moreace - not to be a total jerk but please, please spell and grammer check your posts. I feel like I am in a hooked on phonics lesson and it completely undermines your credibility as a poster.
no worries, but u r only a medium jerk
NO DEAL
no proofreading, too much effort
Old 10-28-2003, 01:03 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should take your own advice.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Hilarious, rhizopod!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Racer

Ah yes 1 spelling error. Of course that is a mistake; however I still believe my posts are concise, well written and easily understandable. My point for Moreace was simply that it is difficult to take someone very seriously when you have to read their post 4 times to get what they are trying to say. I think he typically posts interesting topics however I am constantly struggling to get by the grammAr and spelling errors. Call me a jerk, but it must just be the teacher in me.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Okay, enough said... the whole idea behind forums is to communicate, not call each other names and yes clear communication is important, but it doesn't have to be perfect either (God forbid, I think I type with my elbows sometimes).

Back to the original topic.

Every brand has its lemons, just some have more than others. Unfortunately domestics seem to lead in the lemon to good car ratio.

We have to be careful and not focus on one persons problems, sure there have been some folks who are having problems with their TLs, but does that mean that all TLs are trash, of course not. Also, just because some models of a line of cars have a problem doesn't mean the entire line is bad either. There are lots of causes of problems... assembly mistakes, manufacturing mistakes, design mistakes.

I found myself being concerned about some of the problems folks are having with the TL and was worrying too much about it. Granted it is a new model and they are still working out some bugs in the manufacturing process, but all in all it will be a good car. Acura to date hasn't turned out an Edsel yet.

Sure the the '04 has its shortcomings, but it still IMO is one of the best cars out there. After thinging about this last night, the TL is again on the top of my list. I do plan on driving some other cars to make sure (Saab 9-3 and a Jag X-type) but I really don't consider them contenders since their reliability is questionable at best, but I though I should give them a try, besides I've never driven either brand.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Racer

Hehe good luck with the x-type. It is worth driving and I love the exterior appearance but that is a car that has become the red-headed step child of the industry. It is shame too because I really wanted Jaguar to recover and become a player in the market but the X-Type hurt them far more then it helped them I think.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Call me a jerk, but it must just be the teacher in me.
You have a teacher in you?
you better let them out before they are missed
How did they get in there anyways?

Sorry I post between doing stuff and don't always have time
type at supersonic speeds
If I ever do a report or financial analysis for you it will be check, rechecked and perfect
hope that makes u feel a little better

as for desiphering my posts, you may ask, take your time reading and figure it out, or for the low low price of $15.99 + S/H you can order the MoReace decoder ring.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with "mook" because people sit here and complain about cars and that it has this problem, it doesn't have this...I mean if it didn't have what you wanted, why did you buy it or better yet, if you haven't bought it, then don't buy it if it doesn't have the things that you want....u know, that's what i don't get about this society; people ALWAYS want more, they are never satisfied with what they have...how many posts have been up about the TL that say, WOW THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE, THIS IS VERY USEFUL and so forth...there are only a few posts...however there are even more posts regarding the problem that it has...i know that, a while ago, i, too had posted something called "WITH SO MANY PROBLEMS IN THE TL, IS IT WORTH BUYING?"...and just to clear it up, I wasn't complaining, I was just trying to get other people's opinions regarding an ACURA TL, in general....I am a Nissan owner and have faced a few problems here and there but THAT'S LIFE...life isn't perfect so how do you expect cars to be perfect???? okay, you have a problem, fine go back to the dealer, get it fixed and move on and just ENJOY the car....you have to look at yourself and compare yourself with other people who drive cars such as 1992 toyota, or 1987 buick or something like that...you should feel happy with what you have because in life, you really can't get what you want (especially not ALL THE TIME)...just deal with it and BE HAPPY!!!!!! is that too much to ask? lol...TL is a great car, MB is a great car, Lexus is a great car..and I know that comparisons are done to see which car is a better value, I completely understand that....that's the wise way to go about in purchasing a car...I respect that...however, there are being tooo many complaints about these new cars...I mean the TL is like a 35-40K car...THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY, JUST BE HAPPY THAT YOU CAN AFFORD THOSE CARS...imagine if you were in a situation where you could only buy a used car that had 100000 miles on it becuase you had trouble with the money....i am not trying to sound like a DAD or a GRANDFATHER or something, but you know, I just would like to hear and see people being HAPPY WITH WHAT THEY HAVE rather than complaining that I HAD THIS PROBLEM, I HAD THAT, I AM PISSED, THAT CAR SUCKS, IT'S HORRIBLE, WHY DIDN'T THE CAR HAVE THIS, WHAT WERE THE ENGINEERS THINKING...i mean WTF? JUST BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol...I swear, people puzzle me at times