Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB's are they fixed for nothing??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB's are they fixed for nothing??

I'm having trouble with my brakes vibrating when I use them. My dealer said the problem isn't covered under waranty, and that I should wait until I need new pads to fix the problem. He said this over the phone, and it didn't sit well with me, so I look here to see if anyone else if having the same issue. Sure enough, I find a thead that leads me to this link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Sure as crap, there's a TSB for this issue. Are TSB's fixed for free?? Is there any sites that we can get the full details of the TSB's?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Your dealer is stupid. It's covered under the warranty.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:06 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
TSBs don't apply to all cars all the time. Many times there is a serial number range. If your car is in that range and you can demonstrate the problem to the dealer then you are in a better position to have it done.

Also, brake wear is often covered under a different "wearable items" warranty. (Often, for example they are 12mo/12Kmi) I'd have to check the docs that came with the car to see what the Acura term for that is and what the specifics are. Check your manuals and warranty booklets and you should find something.

If the age and mileage of your car are beyond that point then you will have to rely on good will. If you are still within the range AND the TSB really applies to your car then press the dealer and involve the regional Acura reps is it comes to that.

But first try and remember if you really smoked the brakes early on an just warped a rotor. If you did then just keep that to yourself....
Old 07-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Instructor

go get him saying that it's not covered under warranty in writing. then, go drive into a tree and then sue the dealership. blame it on brake failure that the dealer wasnt willing to fix it.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by empathy
go get him saying that it's not covered under warranty in writing. then, go drive into a tree and then sue the dealership. blame it on brake failure that the dealer wasnt willing to fix it.
Your car will never be the same, you may be paralyzed, but you'll get back at the dealer? LOL
Old 07-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hybrid
Your car will never be the same, you may be paralyzed, but you'll get back at the dealer? LOL

with the money you will get from the lawsuit, you dont have to worry about driving a TL again :P
Old 07-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by empathy
with the money you will get from the lawsuit, you dont have to worry about driving a TL again :P

Hey, maybe then you can move up to the RL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Instructor

just show them the bulletin..... if not, go to another dealer and lodge a complaint against the dealer via Acura North America corp. office.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BUD001
just show them the bulletin..... if not, go to another dealer and lodge a complaint against the dealer via Acura North America corp. office.
I hear you, but I shouldn't have to show them the bulletin, they should already have it! I'll see what happens next week, but I think I see a call to Acura North America in my future.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
adobeman is right - almost always, a decent Acura dealer will cover this under the 12k customer sat warranty period.

Of course, it depends on what caused the problem.

1) Most rotor warpage on new cars is from people riding the pedal, or from over tightened or inconsistently tightened lug nuts yanking on the rotor hat. Modern rotors strike a balance between fuel economy, and long-life. Acura uses high quality steel, whereas cheapies like Ford make tissue-thin rotors and hope their owners do not notice (I had bad experiences with my old SHO).

2) Acura recommends that the rotor turning be done on the car, and so do I - as long as the wheel bearings are not defective (or worn on an older car), this will almost always result in a good result.

3) Since quality aftermarket rotors are available aftermarket, I always replace (and resirface myself) them when I do even a pad change or swap on any of my "good cars".
Old 07-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Banned

TSB's are different from recall's in that the problem listed in the TSB doesn't affect enough vehicles to warrant a recall. If your vehicle is still under the factory warranty than a TSB affecting your VIN range is covered.

Using your example, I had the rotors resufraced twice on my 04' TSX under warranty before I traded up to the TL...

Hope this helps!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Road Rage
adobeman is right - almost always, a decent Acura dealer will cover this under the 12k customer sat warranty period.

Of course, it depends on what caused the problem.

1) Most rotor warpage on new cars is from people riding the pedal, or from over tightened or inconsistently tightened lug nuts yanking on the rotor hat. Modern rotors strike a balance between fuel economy, and long-life. Acura uses high quality steel, whereas cheapies like Ford make tissue-thin rotors and hope their owners do not notice (I had bad experiences with my old SHO).

2) Acura recommends that the rotor turning be done on the car, and so do I - as long as the wheel bearings are not defective (or worn on an older car), this will almost always result in a good result.

3) Since quality aftermarket rotors are available aftermarket, I always replace (and resirface myself) them when I do even a pad change or swap on any of my "good cars".
from my experience, warped rotors happen when there wasnt a good install of the brake system or the brakes werent given time to cool down and the car was parked with the rotors HOT. this happens to a lot of road raced cars. they park with their e-brake up and their rear rotors tend to warp cause of this issue.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm not sure what the policy is on this and whether the manufacturer or dealer determines how its handled but we used to have an early-build 96 Caravan that had numerous problems corrected by TSB's. I took it back to the dealer with a list printed from NHTSA's site and said I wanted them fixed as warranty issues and they did them all for free. It can't hurt to try the same thing with your dealer.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
I'm not sure what the policy is on this and whether the manufacturer or dealer determines how its handled but we used to have an early-build 96 Caravan that had numerous problems corrected by TSB's. I took it back to the dealer with a list printed from NHTSA's site and said I wanted them fixed as warranty issues and they did them all for free. It can't hurt to try the same thing with your dealer.
Very good idea, thanks!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by muadib
I'm having trouble with my brakes vibrating when I use them. My dealer said the problem isn't covered under waranty, and that I should wait until I need new pads to fix the problem. He said this over the phone, and it didn't sit well with me, so I look here to see if anyone else if having the same issue. Sure enough, I find a thead that leads me to this link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Sure as crap, there's a TSB for this issue. Are TSB's fixed for free?? Is there any sites that we can get the full details of the TSB's?

Your Dealer is a cheap bastard. I have the same issue and the dealer took care of it. See Attached Link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=117675&page=1
Old 08-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Neorick
Your Dealer is a cheap bastard. I have the same issue and the dealer took care of it. See Attached Link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=117675&page=1
How many mile did you have when you went in for service?