Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Flush !

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
JDM ... NOT !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tranny Flush !

Hello guys, I recently received a quote for a Transmission flush for 90 dollars. Is this a good price? How much is a reasonable price for the flush? Thank you in advance for the feedback. I would appreciate it if you guys could let me know if thats a reasonable price fast because my appointment is withing 2 hours !
Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM
JDM ... NOT !

plus its not the money that means anything its just for my own benefit so i know if im getting ripped off or not. Come on ! somebody mst have something to say
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Gary, here in the US, the stealership charged my $80 for a tranny flush...after that, I started doing it on my own.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Is it an auto or manual?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 PM
JDM ... NOT !

It is auto
Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I see. You can get it done this time, but look in the 3G Garage for the DIY. It's not very difficult at all.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Don't flush these transmissions!

You can only drain & refill ~3qts out of ~8qts at a time.. which is why Acura does a 3x3 service (3 drains & fills) in lieu of a flush to recirculate a larger percentage of new Z1. Gary.. you have an '08 TL-S, doing a drain & fill on your ATF is probably unnecessary, check the fluid, make sure it is not low, smell it and make sure it doesn't smell burnt, then look at the color.. it should still look like cherry cough syrup.. I hope you understand that your transmission has nothing to do with your shift lock problems. I suggest to stay safe and use only Z1 as well since you're in warranty.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
sjo
Racer

+1 drain and refill should be sufficient. I've done it twice and I have 87k km.

$70 was what I was charged for drain and refill. So if you're paying $90, I'll have to guess it wasn't a full "flush", as that is a more costly job than drain and refill.

PM me your contacts, I need to ask you something
Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
JDM ... NOT !

Originally Posted by Majofo
Don't flush these transmissions!

You can only drain & refill ~3qts out of ~8qts at a time.. which is why Acura does a 3x3 service (3 drains & fills) in lieu of a flush to recirculate a larger percentage of new Z1. Gary.. you have an '08 TL-S, doing a drain & fill on your ATF is probably unnecessary, check the fluid, make sure it is not low, smell it and make sure it doesn't smell burnt, then look at the color.. it should still look like cherry cough syrup.. I hope you understand that your transmission has nothing to do with your shift lock problems. I suggest to stay safe and use only Z1 as well since you're in warranty.

Bro thanx but the oil is blackish dark brown, smells like burnt shit, and I am not under warranty because my stealership screwed me over earlier last year when I bought it and went back with mods
Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What is the deal with proprietary brand ATF that Honda and some other manufacturers insist on?! What makes it better than Walmart brand? Has anyone used Walmart ATF on the TL?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary TL S
Bro thanx but the oil is blackish dark brown, smells like burnt shit, and I am not under warranty because my stealership screwed me over earlier last year when I bought it and went back with mods
If your car is less than 3 years old and has less than 60,000 kms, you ARE under warranty, except on parts that you modified (I'm assuming you did not modify your transmission in any way). If your dealership refuses to honor it go to another one.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM

your oil or your transmission fluid?

I thought you said your Acura dealership closed down? If one dealership turns you down, go to another one. To be honest, besides the sprintbooster... your mods shouldn't affect anything warranty related.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Babnik
What is the deal with proprietary brand ATF that Honda and some other manufacturers insist on?! What makes it better than Walmart brand? Has anyone used Walmart ATF on the TL?

Are you serious? The additives / friction modifiers in Z1 help in preventing excessive wear on the various transmission components of Honda transmissions. Some Dexron III ATF's say they are compatible with Z1 but oil analysis has shown that excessive torque converter, clutch & clutch band wear has occured with some of those ATF's used in Honda Trannys. It's better to play it safe, especially if you are in warranty. IHC is running Amsoil ATD since almost day one.. Amsoil doesn't support it as a replacement for Z1 unlike their regular ATF, but IHC has done his homework.. and found it to be a very close yet better spec'd replacement for Z1..

I suggest that you guys stick with Z1 and do accelerated change intervals.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
JDM ... NOT !

your oil or your transmission fluid?

I thought you said your Acura dealership closed down? If one dealership turns you down, go to another one. To be honest, besides the sprintbooster... your mods shouldn't affect anything warranty related.

What happened was that they refused my warranty and I contacted Honda Canada and they said that the warranty on my car is void because the service manager spoke directly with Acura and Me and the service manager got into a little bit of a fight when I first bought my car because he opened the door into a hoist and dinged my side mirror but either way and by the time I could do anything about it my dealership where I bought the car from closed down so on file at Honda Canada appherently my car is not under warranty and I have tried so much argueing and calling and harassing but clearly they do not give a rats ass !

I knew I should have bought a german car !
Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Are you serious? The additives / friction modifiers in Z1 help in preventing excessive wear on the various transmission components of Honda transmissions. Some Dexron III ATF's say they are compatible with Z1 but oil analysis has shown that excessive torque converter, clutch & clutch band wear has occured with some of those ATF's used in Honda Trannys. It's better to play it safe, especially if you are in warranty. IHC is running Amsoil ATD since almost day one.. Amsoil doesn't support it as a replacement for Z1 unlike their regular ATF, but IHC has done his homework.. and found it to be a very close yet better spec'd replacement for Z1..

I suggest that you guys stick with Z1 and do accelerated change intervals.
Was this analysis done by Honda/Acura or someone on their payroll, or independent researchers? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm always sceptical of these things, beacuse Honda is trying to make money so obviously they're gonna say to only use their brand. Surely not only Honda-brand ATF has friction modifiers.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
my gen2 owner book says if you ever `top off` the fluid with Dex3 you must do the 3x3 which is actually 12 qts, to clean it all out- its that bad for the TL trans

Beware of shops and the word flush- a machine powered flush will cause bad things to happen inside the TL trans and most of those type shops have Dex3 in the machine
If its not Honda fluid do NOT use it in the TL

for DIY do the 3x3 if fluid is really bad from racing or such
thats driving 5 minutes between each drain cycle shifting thru each gear to move fluid thru the system
at acura usa dealers there is a new procedure for running the car on the hoist and changing out all the fluid that way- instead of driving it 5 minutes between drains- they simulate it on the lift
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Babnik
Was this analysis done by Honda/Acura or someone on their payroll, or independent researchers? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm always sceptical of these things, beacuse Honda is trying to make money so obviously they're gonna say to only use their brand. Surely not only Honda-brand ATF has friction modifiers.
This is a real hot topic.. Z1 is indeed 'special', whether it is superb is debatable.. the analysis were from interested gear heads who were 'non-biased'.. I think for the price of Z1.. it's not all that much better to change but I am considering on maybe doing an analysis between Z1 & Amsoil on the TL although this has been done already with similar Honda AT's. The fact is that Z1 does wear pretty well but it may oxidize faster than some of the competition because of the modifiers / additives.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:39 PM

What happened was that they refused my warranty and I contacted Honda Canada and they said that the warranty on my car is void because the service manager spoke directly with Acura and Me and the service manager got into a little bit of a fight when I first bought my car because he opened the door into a hoist and dinged my side mirror but either way and by the time I could do anything about it my dealership where I bought the car from closed down so on file at Honda Canada appherently my car is not under warranty and I have tried so much argueing and calling and harassing but clearly they do not give a rats ass !

I knew I should have bought a german car !
That definitely sounds like a case for the courts.. It seems unreasonable for them to deny any claim of yours, especially since the service manager and yourself had a personal dispute. I would still check with another dealership.. and if they say no.. then file a claim with your consumer affairs office. You need to be professional with these type of issues and follow the necessary & appropriate steps for mediation.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you deleted emission equipment from your car, I don't see how your warranty could be void and I used to work at an Acura dealer. Infact the dealer I worked at put my intake on. Intakes and spacer shouldn't void your warranty. Don't know about the race pipe it says you have.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

If your going to do it just drain and replace, it has an overfill valve if you put to much in (make sure you overfill).
Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by salukimike
If your going to do it just drain and replace, it has an overfill valve if you put to much in (make sure you overfill).
I would never recommend to overfill the ATF.. and I've never seen an overfill valve.. can anyone confirm? Overfilling can destabilize line pressure and cause various symptoms including slipping clutches & possibly lead to seal leaks.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

WTF are you talking about?
the auto trans is whats being discussed here- overfill it? where??

overflow because too much fluid was installed, got hot and expanded-pooof out the safety vent?

a MT car you could fill above level and let it drain back out to level of fill, Im guessing as I have a/t
Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Racer

Has anyone replaced their ATF with Mobil1 synthetic ATF? I flush my ATF every other year and I'd like to switch to a synthetic.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BASISON
Has anyone replaced their ATF with Mobil1 synthetic ATF? I flush my ATF every other year and I'd like to switch to a synthetic.
I believe Inaccurate has done this...but dont quote me on it.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:37 AM
Team Owner

heard of a few running amsoil but not m1

Stick with the honda fluid- thats not what causes the failures of clutch paks