3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed of stock 07 TL type-s 5at is 132-133mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our speedo's are off a bit when you get up in that range.

No way its doing 145mph. I would love to believe it as an owner of a Type S but its the truth.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 AM
E55>>>TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by don5504
BTW guys I'm talking about the 5at cars.
stillhere153 has a 07 type s auto and he did 140. So the top speed of the 3rd generation type s is not 133mph.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TrevorT

No way its doing 145mph. I would love to believe it as an owner of a Type S but its the truth.
Finally. Someone understands that most speedometers are off above 100mph and wildly off above 120mph. No car is extempt either. A Porsche 911TT will tell you you're doing 198 when you're really doing 185mph, a Gallardo says 190, but really 180mph, a Viper says 205mph but really 191mph.

It wouldn't surprise me if the TL 5ATs have lower speed limiters. A lot of companies lower the limiters on the autos because some autos don't fair well at high speeds for extended periods. In the past, Honda autos have been quite fragile. Maybe Honda doesn't want to risk it. Also, what about tires? Do auto TLS' come with lower speed rated tires like V-rated?

To the original poster, stop driving like an ass. You're going to be a father soon. You're going to have a completely different outlook on life about 6 months after your child is born.

I must say I'm confused as to where you could have done 130mph in ATL. I use to live there and traffic was the #1 reason I left. You can't go anywhere in that town. It's worse than driving around in LA.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
All 2007/2008 TL/TL-S come with W-Rated tires (168 mph).

It's easy enough to have a hand held GPS to verify/compare high speed runs that the speedo can be ruled out as the source of the "problem".
Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155112

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/%2Asniff%2A-suprnova-gone-164111/

I still get bothered when people speculate what the top speed is. I have proven multiple times that the Type-S 6mt is electronically limited to 150mph (gauge reading)
Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 AM
More speed needed

I've taken my 05 TL 5AT up to 155 where it got kicked back down. So i don't see why it's stuck there.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Instructor

Foolish it definitely is, I should know better, .......chasing Moby Dick is going to do me in one of these days.......if I knew the max I would have given up a while back.......on the other hand I probably already know it and don't want to accept. This thread isn't helping....
Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 AM
aTLien

Originally Posted by TrevorT

you can find out the exact speed you're going @ if you have a navi in your car.

Originally Posted by need4spd
For Navi Cars only (note, you are on your own if you mess up).

Ok, in the Navi Diagnostics Mode, go into "GPS Information", you should see the number of satelites you are tracking.

While in this screen, push and hold the "Menu" button for 10 seconds, you will then see the "GPS Detail" screen.

At the top (along with other info), you will see:

"Speed: xx.x mph"

there is a slight delay, buy you'll know the exact speed @ least
Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^

i think its foolish.. everybody should try it once if they want too.... but once you reach a certain age, you just find it dangerous and foolish. if i was to ever max out my car again, i would assure that i would at least not have any OTHER people in my car. no need to endanger other peoples lives

OP, was your run on a totally flat stretch? Maybe you hit an incline?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Advanced

I get 140 mph easily out ouf my 04' 5AT A-spec. Would like to go faster but i always run out of room or a minivan pulls into the left lane
Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
Finally. Someone understands that most speedometers are off above 100mph and wildly off above 120mph. No car is extempt either. A Porsche 911TT will tell you you're doing 198 when you're really doing 185mph, a Gallardo says 190, but really 180mph, a Viper says 205mph but really 191mph.

It wouldn't surprise me if the TL 5ATs have lower speed limiters. A lot of companies lower the limiters on the autos because some autos don't fair well at high speeds for extended periods. In the past, Honda autos have been quite fragile. Maybe Honda doesn't want to risk it. Also, what about tires? Do auto TLS' come with lower speed rated tires like V-rated?

To the original poster, stop driving like an ass. You're going to be a father soon. You're going to have a completely different outlook on life about 6 months after your child is born.

I must say I'm confused as to where you could have done 130mph in ATL. I use to live there and traffic was the #1 reason I left. You can't go anywhere in that town. It's worse than driving around in LA.
Then you don't know ATL well.

D
Old 05-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

Dave_B doesn't even own an Acura TL. He is an Infiniti G35 lover boy. he comes here and try to give us his speech, which I find it..... completely a joke.

I don't hate him tho. I might be purchasing an '08 G35 Sport sedan 6MT..... 158 mph... 158 man... 158.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Pro

I want to reverify that the 07 TL type-s top speed is 133mph ish. I had it on jack stands today and put it into gear and guess what. At around 133mph it did it again on the jack stands. It actually went up til 135mph but it felt like it cut at 133mph but hit 135mph due to momentum.

This is about as scientific as I can get under the circumstances. Its either speed limited at a certain speed or RPM limited in a certain gear (5th gear I am assuming).

Now all you guys with different years and model cars or with manual transmissions might as well be telling me the top speed of the Bugatti Veyron because its about as relevant as giving me the top speeds of any other car that isn't exactly a 07-08 tl type-s 5at.

D
Old 05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Pro

Also called up a couple buddies of mine who are techs at Ed Voyles Acura. They said they will check and see if there is a way to increase the top speed or remove it on the dealership level with their specialized equipment. But its not looking good due to their initial response of "I don't think so". I will find out later this week for sure.

I also speculated it might be VSA related but it is not. I turned off the VSA while on the jack stands and got the same results. I guess it could still be due to the grade logic since only the front end was on jack stands. Anyone know how to disengage the grade logic? Maybe just unplug the sensors? Where are they at? Perhaps it will throw a code or light in my dash if I unplug them/it?

Only other thing I can imagine it being is due to tire pressure. In the manual it says for higher speeds to have the tires at 40-41ish psi for the front tires and the rears like ar 35-37ish psi. But I believe thats a stretch and probably not it at all. But I am running out of ideas.

D
Old 05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
tl a spec

Cool i did 150 in my 06 automatic tl

you could do about 155 in an automatic tl so which ever tl you bought is weird man
Old 05-11-2008, 03:00 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I told him in a pm that there is something wrong with his car.... I wont even comment on how irresponsible of you it was to put ur car in gear and roll it while it is on jackstand and not under a load... 2 quick bad things could have occured.... 1... you could have slipped off the jacks and fucked up ur entire front... and 2... you could really mess up ur tranny

ps... when I get a chance I will take a pic of the speedo passed 135mph... since I only have to show 136mph... 140mph in nyc really have no space for it... I did that once by luck
Old 05-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by uprizin
you could do about 155 in an automatic tl so which ever tl you bought is weird man
Yes its me and couple of others in here have a weird tl type-s then. And it certainly is possible I guess. I mean perhaps there was a switch in the ECU of the vehicle but I don't know. I won't rule anything out.

D
Old 05-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by stillhere153
I told him in a pm that there is something wrong with his car.... I wont even comment on how irresponsible of you it was to put ur car in gear and roll it while it is on jackstand and not under a load... 2 quick bad things could have occured.... 1... you could have slipped off the jacks and fucked up ur entire front... and 2... you could really mess up ur tranny

ps... when I get a chance I will take a pic of the speedo passed 135mph... since I only have to show 136mph... 140mph in nyc really have no space for it... I did that once by luck
And thank you for your concern but I took every available method to keep myself safe from that. BTW did I ever mention I was an ASE certified tech for 8yrs? (thats how I know guys who are techs at Acura and a few more dealerships) So I am confident I mitigated my potential risks.

1) I used 2 jack stands on either side of the car and used the jack itself as a 3rd emergency jack stand beneath the front subframe in case for some odd reason freak of nature type thing happened that would cause the car to jump on its own a few inches in the car. BTW I have never seen that happen or heard of it happening.

2) I had the rear wheels chalked and the emergency brake applied.

3) And yes I could certainly see it being bad for the tranny if I had just jumped in put it in drive and smashed the gas. But in fact what I did was put it in the manual option shifted it to 5th and slowly rolled on the throttle.

Anyways this thread is going nowhere. Yes mods please shut this thread down. Obviously reading comprehension is > than most in this thread. They tell me stuff I don't ask for and tell me about cars that do not apply. Then they say I am careless and what not for speeding. (maybe the government should mandate all cars can not exceed 85mph then). All I wanted was a solution and I am getting everything but from people who don't even have the same care but feel that I am wrong. lol

D
Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Instructor

I have to concur with the OP again on my auto TL-S, my car behaves the same way, although again I'm not sure if it feels like a cut in the throttle, it just doesn't keep pulling to push it past 135.

We know that the manual Type-S and base auto or manual TLs keep pulling all the way to 150, like TLFourPlay, and the other videos demonstrated, but I really do think the AUTO TYPE-S in particular, not auto base TL, but AUTO TYPE S is a little different.

WHY? The TYPE-S auto's got a modfied version of the RL's tranny(actually I think the only mods is software and not hardware). Interestingly, the RL has a computer limit of 134. Hmmmmm......I think there is a connection there.

Sure, with enough momentum and a incline, I think you can shoot past 135 and hit 140, but I don't think the engine is actually pulling after 134.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jokerunm
I have to concur with the OP again on my auto TL-S, my car behaves the same way, although again I'm not sure if it feels like a cut in the throttle, it just doesn't keep pulling to push it past 135.

We know that the manual Type-S and base auto or manual TLs keep pulling all the way to 150, like TLFourPlay, and the other videos demonstrated, but I really do think the AUTO TYPE-S in particular, not auto base TL, but AUTO TYPE S is a little different.

WHY? The TYPE-S auto's got a modfied version of the RL's tranny(actually I think the only mods is software and not hardware). Interestingly, the RL has a computer limit of 134. Hmmmmm......I think there is a connection there.

Sure, with enough momentum and a incline, I think you can shoot past 135 and hit 140, but I don't think the engine is actually pulling after 134.
I suspect you are right about the connection between the RL and TL computer limit of 134mph. Perhaps its possible to swap out tranny ECUs or get them reflashed with a slightly different model or yr program? But I do not have my hopes up that it will be that simple of a fix. Again I will see what my friends at the Acura dealership have to say. Is there a way to increase the limit on the RL?

Also I do not know what method is used to remove them from other cars such as the TSX or RSX. But in my old VW the limit was never removed but in fact just increased to the point that it would never be reached. Like it was just bumped up to 300mph or something. Of course it would never reach that speed and that was the way it was defeated in my VW. BTW top speed in my VW was 145mph and I just ran out of room it was still pulling. Thats with a 1.8t 4 cyl engine.

I actually raced a guy with a TL here in ATL I wonder if he's in this forum. I was ahead of him till I pulled up due to cars and he decided to pass me on the shoulder of the interstate. And it was a manual because we were certainly past 134mph. So if you are here in this forum

D
Old 05-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stillhere153

Nice....trash the op, now you're going to do it yourself, funny.

Don't take a picture, take a video, I assume you'll use your cell phone, so just take a video and not a picture. Make sure it show the tach and the speedo as it rolls past 135. OR DON'T. Up to you.

I've posted a technical reason why and AUTO Type-S in particalar won't PULL(not coast) past 135, seems like a reasonable one.

don5504, I think take some ecu work to change the limit. From what I've seen on the boards, the only guys doing that is hondata, but so far I haven't heard of any ecu exchange from them...just visits to there shop from a select few.

The VWs had a lot of options, for ecu as well as the ecu on the tranny if you had a tiptronic. The ecu you could elimate the governor, with the tiptronic..you could change the shift timing to be more aggressive. No such joy for our TL-Ss at the moment.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Looks like jokerunm and don5504 pwned it. Well done. You guys probably nailed it what is causing you to not go past 133 or 134 on your TL Type-S Auto. Time to contact Acura engineers to have them either increase the speed in the speed limiter in the ECU or a way to turn it off. It seems don5504 is a passionate guy. Maybe email Acura and tell them why all other Acura TL cars top out at 150 and 150+ but not some of the '07/'08 Type-S AUTO? This is bull sh#t.... I want my fair share of top speed this is not fair man. Then maybe Acura will repond with possible fix.....

Btw, very good thread. Ignore the other fools who bitch about the speeding and those who say to lock this thread....

Old 05-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Pro

OK just got off the phone with my buddy Mike at the Acura Dealership. He said he was unware of this and said that made him curious as well and will definately get some answers for me and give me a call back tomorrow.

If the ECU's are in fact the same but just flashed with a different program as jokrunm thinks it is and I hope it is we may be able to get reflashed with a different cars program with no real negative effects. If worse comes to worst it can always be reflashed back to the original. I am willing to be the guinea pig on this. But I work alot and have no idea when I can get in there to possibly have a crack at it.

I believe the transmissions are the same though. Wasn't the only true mechanical change the cooler being inside the bellhousing instead of like some of the older cars who have had them installed outside the bellhousing due to a TSB or recall? I hope I am remembering this last part/paragraph correctly. I may be thinking about a different generation or year of car or completely different car all together

D
Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Instructor

I think you misunderstood me, Auto TL Type-S have the RL tranny. The hardware/software of tranny should be same as the RL except tuned for the TL FWD and lack of SH-AWD.

I really could care less if it is capped at 135. What peaked my interest was discovering if it was different and why. As for finding ways to raise it, not really that important to me, sorry.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

hey I wasn't trashing the op I was merely saying that I had it up there once... so I am positive it can go higher... and if it is electronically limited, maybe the op can find out away to rid the car of it :shrugs:
Old 05-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by vinnier6
do you really think there is a need to go faster than that...
You got that right , It's pointless to get rid of it , why not buy a Vette in the first place!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just wanted to say that and was really quite surprised. Anyways is there a way to get rid of what is stopping it from going faster?

D
I have an 06 5AT before S/C I was able to go 135mph+ (216km/h+)

I haven't tried max speed after S/C
Old 05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 007TL-S
You got that right , It's pointless to get rid of it , why not buy a Vette in the first place!
Just knowing that if one day, I decide to run from the cops, being able to go faster than 134 would be a nice ability to have in my car.

Seriously though, I'm pissed too knowing that my car is limited at ~130 and the base TL isn't. I'll probably take it up to there no more than five times in the three years I'll have the car, but when I do I'd like to take the car to its full potential and not have it cut off.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:17 PM
B16 Swapped TL

I want to reverify that the 07 TL type-s top speed is 133mph ish. I had it on jack stands today and put it into gear and guess what. At around 133mph it did it again on the jack stands. It actually went up til 135mph but it felt like it cut at 133mph but hit 135mph due to momentum.
LOL.... I have the mental image of a car shooting their the garage wall now.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ lol that is the very picture I had in my head... dukes of hazard like... but hey he knows what he was doing and his car was definitely not going to come down so hey whatever you know
Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Sorry, I am not convinced. Although the RL arguement/theory is a good one.

ALL of the other 3G TL Models/Trims go 150-ish. I don't buy that the ONLY the auto TL-S got a lower limiter.

Here is what I don't see being done:

Run the car in Sport Shift. Redline to each gear. Report back on speed at 4th gear redline and/or if the car stops pulling after shifting to 5th - keep in mind it will likely pull VERY slowly, so you've got to have room and patience.

Not sure if it is true on the AT, but I believe I've seen/read evidence that the car will hit the limiter at ~5,500 RPM's in it's top gear (I could be wrong on that and it may apply to the MT trims). I don't think the auto can get to top speed UNLESS you redline in 4th.

If the OP tried that, please clarify.

I have an '07 TL-S, 5AT but will not be a "tester" for this, either on the open road or on Jack Stands. Believe me, if some mis-adventure occured, my car shooting out the garage and down the driveway at 100+ would be a MAJOR problem. lol.

I'll run 90-ish on open road, but if I were doing a "top speed run", I'd want to be as close to 100% CERTAIN as possible that is was safe and popo free. I do not see this in my immediate future.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Instructor

^ ditto
Old 05-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Sorry, I am not convinced. Although the RL arguement/theory is a good one.

ALL of the other 3G TL Models/Trims go 150-ish. I don't buy that the ONLY the auto TL-S got a lower limiter.

Here is what I don't see being done:

Run the car in Sport Shift. Redline to each gear. Report back on speed at 4th gear redline and/or if the car stops pulling after shifting to 5th - keep in mind it will likely pull VERY slowly, so you've got to have room and patience.

The OP already tried this on jack stands, so distance is infiinity and is not a problem. Explain too me why the hell he has to redline in each gear? Who the heck cars how you get to 135, the point is, can it be passed? Not how fast you can get to it. In 5th or 4th with sportshift the car does not pull past 134. Kind of hard to hit the redline in 4th when the car stops pulling.

This has to be connected to the RL and TL-S having the same tranny.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I'll run 90-ish on open road, but if I were doing a "top speed run", I'd want to be as close to 100% CERTAIN as possible that is was safe and popo free...
I've found a safe and popo free area in middle of nowhere New Mexico, it's the only reason I even attempt to find the top speed. The people in the video are nuts to be going that fast with traffic with people in the car.

If were to meet death in the area I'm flying through, it would be just me and the TL-S, and maybe a deer,elk, or a cow. Silly animals.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jokerunm
The OP already tried this on jack stands, so distance is infiinity and is not a problem. Explain too me why the hell he has to redline in each gear? Who the heck cars how you get to 135, the point is, can it be passed? Not how fast you can get to it. In 5th or 4th with sportshift the car does not pull past 134. Kind of hard to hit the redline in 4th when the car stops pulling.

Sorry, but that's not what he said he did. He said he put the car in SS, then put it in 5th, then ran till it ran out of steam. 5th is a very long, weak gear.

But in fact what I did was put it in the manual option shifted it to 5th and slowly rolled on the throttle.
The way it reads, it may have been in 5th as early as, say, 40 mph. Not the same thing. 5th is a very long, weak gear.

Try this: Get on the freeway at ~80 mph. Put it in SS in 5th. Mash the gas. You will SLOOOWWWLLY get to 82 ..... 84 ..... 86.... you'll see 100+ a week from next Tuesday.

Now slow back down to ~80. Put the car in SS in 5th. Now simultaneously mash the gas and down shift to 4th: 80/82/88/90 zoom, zoom, zoom. Why? More torque.

The reason you run to redline is to maintain max torque on the upshift. No torque (or low torque) = no pull.

On the road, I think you'd *have* to do it to that way to overcome/counter act parasitic drag at high speed. IOW, if the parasitic drag >= torque, no more go.

(BTW - I am not trying to argue here. Just trying to understand the parameters of the "test" and offer an alternate method. I am a skeptic by nature. Just because you do a test one way and get one result does not mean that if you change the test method you'll get the same result.)

Also the OP speculated it may be related to tire pressure and the Owners Manual warning in this area regards high speed. I am pretty sure it is not that - this warning seems to apply to track days and/or other sustained high speed events. Not so much that the car will do this, if you do that; but more of a here is what you should do.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Well....I've used SS on the road, 3rd gear past 90, then 4th and keep trying to pull,but again after 134, no go, waited, waited...shifted into 5th.....no go....I've tried this a myriad of ways. Staying in 4th for miles and miles, not go....staying in 5th for miles and miles..no go.....

5th gear is a tall gear....but at 134??? WTF? Everyone keeps trying to make this a physical limitation, what's ironic is everyone is pointing out how fast the other cars can go. No shit...that just means the auto type S is electronically limited at 134.......of course it has the potential to go to 150+......watching the videos ...we should be able to do it easy........but its not.....-------->electronic limit at 134.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

BTW guys I'm talking about the 5at cars. Not the ones with a 6 speed. So telling me how fast a 6 speed car does me no good or anyone else who has said the same thing with with 5at.

D
05 5AT 146 easily...CAI, no other performance mods...
Old 05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

The 5th (top gear) gear on the AT version is worth 200+ mph, so even at 134mph it would still be in the low torque band like bearcat has said.

According to the regular trim 5AT version the 4th gear reaches 5500 rpm at around 134 mph. To me, in any case, if it won't let you get past 134 either from 4th gear or 5th gear then I say the damn factory set a limiter at that speed, like a fuel cut-off or such. If I read correctly the Type-S AT has slightly tighter gears than the regular AT version to help a little bit on the 0-60 and quarter mile acceleration, not sure about the top two gears though.

Interesting.... Keep the info coming guys.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
05 5AT 146 easily...CAI, no other performance mods...
He is asking for Type-S 5AT. Stop showing off with your regular trim 5AT.... lol.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Fox News @ 11:

The above picture shows the aftermath of a freak accident. A Local man curious about the top end speed of this Sport Luxury Car a 2007 Acura TL Type S raised his car on jackstands and proceeded to press the gas. A Sneezed and his car rolled off of his jackstands and through the wall of his garage.

No one was injured except for the man's ego.

We hear he is currently expecting a child so if he would have perished, he would NOT be eligible for a Darwin award, as he would have successfully reproduced before removing himself from the Gene pool.

Quick Reply: Top Speed of stock 07 TL type-s 5at is 132-133mph