Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tl with a-spec handling feel of bmw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vikrampatel
I assume there are no aftermarket steering wheels that can be used with keeping all the controls and the airbag... correct?
I have not researched it but I gotta believe that the switches would be a long shot and the air bag virtually impossible to do right considering the timing involved in making it perform as designed.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
She was only a rancher's daughter, but a lot of horsemen knew her.

Originally Posted by Indecision
FWD will never be able to provide the same handling characteristics as a well balanced RWD. It's like trying to get a 4 bangers to sound like a Ferrari V12, the core harmonic is just not there.
Purists (you seem to be one) will sing this tune over and over. Owning both cars, I agree with the difference felt and handling characteristics. This, however, should not be confused with actual objective performance.

The TL has more weight in the front which gives it a different balance. The rear engined Porsches similarly have a different balance and feel when compared with front engine RWD. Different doesn't equate with bad.

The TL's sophisticated suspension system compensates well for that balance giving it moderate understeer (same as BMW 5) in some circumstances and a touch of oversteer in others.

If you read the April '04 issue of Road & Track, you will see a thorough test of both the base '04 Acura TL 6MT and HPT (NO A-Spec), and also a BMW 530i manual tranny with the Sport Package (upgraded wheels, tires, suspension, etc.)

In spite of our ingrained prejudice against FWD, the TL out handled the BMW in every area except 60-0 braking. The TL braked shorter from 100-0, however.

The TL was much more powerful, faster in the slalom and stickier in the skid pad.

I will concede that the tester was enjoying the "feel" of the BMW while gazing at the TL's tail lights. But winning feels pretty good, too.

We have to look at this marvelous new TL with a fresh new perspective. Like Sea Biscuit, you can't always tell a book by its cover. It's the car the purist journalists hate to love.

XP
Old 08-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice clothes, Emperor!

hmm ok... thanks... ive decided that if i win the case against infiniti that i will get the tl, it just makes financial sense and overall everythign is good about the car...hopefully the a-spec, better tires, and the rear sway bar will makeup for some of the handling issues with the tl
What handling issues? (See my other post above^)

I hear about numb steering but I haven't experienced it myself. It feels good to me. Then again, I've been wringing out various M-Bs all morning! :P Talk about numb.

XP
Old 08-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Originally Posted by Eduardo
Wait until the 2005 5 series start to arrive on the dealers lots (sometime mid-october). You might be able to snag a 2004 5 series at below invoice.
Yuk! Why would you want one? Get a 2003 without the Bangle Bustle and you will have a classy, great car.

XP
Old 08-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Yuk! Why would you want one? Get a 2003 without the Bangle Bustle and you will have a classy, great car.

XP

lol, i know many people dont like the new designs, these happen to be the first designs i like...
Old 08-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Let us know how the comptech sway bar is... it will likely help me decide between the bmw and the tl... hmm lol
There are already a couple of reviews from guys who own the A-Spec and the Comptech sway bar in the "suspension" forum, you may want to read those too.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Shift_faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any chance of geting a thicker steering wheel such as the bmw's?
The A-Spec package does give you a thicker-than-standard steering wheel. I don't think a steering wheel significantly thicker than that would even be comfortable...I think you might be happy with the A-Spec wheel.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
The A-Spec package does give you a thicker-than-standard steering wheel. I don't think a steering wheel significantly thicker than that would even be comfortable...I think you might be happy with the A-Spec wheel.

hmm, ok thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

the dealer just down the street has had an a-spec ready tl sitting in the showroom for 2 months, if only they would let me drive it, even for 2 miles, so i know how it handles... otherwise i am still skeptical on getting it :-\
Old 08-30-2004, 07:37 PM
ZHP 4CE

Here are my thoughts. The A-Spec package will not do much for you as far as the issue of numbness (lack of feedback through the steering wheel) or the "loose feeling" of the steering. You will feel a bit more of the road with the tighter suspension, but a better suspension does not change the level or manner of steering boost nor the level of "insulation" between the driver and the road. There's not really much you can do to improve the steering on a car; what you buy is what you get, for the most part.

I finally got to drive an A-Spec TL the other day though, and the package really helped out with my main complaint about the TL: the "floaty" feeling I got, which was downright scary when going over bumps around curves. While I felt that the handling was still not quite as tight or precise as my 330Ci w/ Performance Package, it was noticeably better than the standard TL and definitely suited for all but the most aggressive driving styles. I was very impressed. Unfortunately, the loose feeling of the steering around corners negated the benefits of the A-Spec package somewhat.

Another thing to think about is that the new 5 series (E60) has gotten many complaints from reviewers for its much less communicative steering compared to the old E39 model. While still fun to drive, I found that it lost some of that driving feel that BMW is so famous for. Also, the 530i is a bit too anemic for the average driving enthusiast. The 545i is really going to hurt you in terms of price. What I'm saying is that the 5 series may not be the best choice for you at this point, especially since you're not a fan of many of the interior features of the BMW and you'd have to pay a lot more. What it will come down to is which is more important, interior and gadgets or the "driving experience."

I personally like the orange ambient lighting and the interior of my BMW. I also have the voice controlled Bluetooth and XM radio installed on my 330Ci (but no navi, don't need it), and enjoy the heck out of those features. If you can do without the navi, you may want to seriously consider the 3 series. Otherwise, I'd say stick with the TL. Maybe someone on this forum will let you take a test drive of their A-Spec TL...
Old 08-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLud
Here are my thoughts. The A-Spec package will not do much for you as far as the issue of numbness (lack of feedback through the steering wheel) or the "loose feeling" of the steering. You will feel a bit more of the road with the tighter suspension, but a better suspension does not change the level or manner of steering boost nor the level of "insulation" between the driver and the road. There's not really much you can do to improve the steering on a car; what you buy is what you get, for the most part.

I finally got to drive an A-Spec TL the other day though, and the package really helped out with my main complaint about the TL: the "floaty" feeling I got, which was downright scary when going over bumps around curves. While I felt that the handling was still not quite as tight or precise as my 330Ci w/ Performance Package, it was noticeably better than the standard TL and definitely suited for all but the most aggressive driving styles. I was very impressed. Unfortunately, the loose feeling of the steering around corners negated the benefits of the A-Spec package somewhat.

Another thing to think about is that the new 5 series (E60) has gotten many complaints from reviewers for its much less communicative steering compared to the old E39 model. While still fun to drive, I found that it lost some of that driving feel that BMW is so famous for. Also, the 530i is a bit too anemic for the average driving enthusiast. The 545i is really going to hurt you in terms of price. What I'm saying is that the 5 series may not be the best choice for you at this point, especially since you're not a fan of many of the interior features of the BMW and you'd have to pay a lot more. What it will come down to is which is more important, interior and gadgets or the "driving experience."

I personally like the orange ambient lighting and the interior of my BMW. I also have the voice controlled Bluetooth and XM radio installed on my 330Ci (but no navi, don't need it), and enjoy the heck out of those features. If you can do without the navi, you may want to seriously consider the 3 series. Otherwise, I'd say stick with the TL. Maybe someone on this forum will let you take a test drive of their A-Spec TL...

Thank you for your review . I have never driven the older BMW's, I drove the 525i, and I loved it. I had a ton of fun driving it for the few minutes that I did. I am leaning towards the TL, but again I love to feel the road, I love the feedback from the road. I don't want to be driving the lexus es330 with the floating ride, I want the responsive steering.

I do need the navi, I drive a ton and can't see myself without it.

There wouldn't be any chance that Acura would be improving the steering for the 2005 TL would they?

It would be great if somebody allowed me to drive their A-Spec TL. Any offers :-D? lol.

But either way, thank you for your review and suggestions.

I posted my same basic original question on the BMW forum, Benz (C320), and of course here. Here, majority of people say TL (of course). On the Benz C320 forum majority of people said get the BMW. On the BMW forum, it was a 50/50 split between Acura and BMW, all cancels each other out. lol. Of course this is pretty much what I expected.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:52 PM
ZHP 4CE

Yeah, it's a pretty tough decision based on your criteria, but if you step back and think about it, it's a nice position to be in, debating between such great cars.

I know you prefer the handling of the BMW, but I'd think about it this way. You're young, going off to college, and the last thing you need is another monthly payment and debt. You have plenty of time in your life to enjoy a BMW. I had to wait to buy mine until just recently at the age of 25 (recently finished law school). You did the smart thing, saving up money. Keep that strategy going. The TL is an awesome car to be driving around at your age or any other age, for that matter. You'll have all the features you want in a car that is PLENTY fun to drive. Use the extra dough to maintain some savings or give yourself some extra spending money while in school. You'll also enjoy your car more that way. Just my $.02, and either way, good luck with your decision and in school.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, it's a pretty tough decision based on your criteria, but if you step back and think about it, it's a nice position to be in, debating between such great cars.

I know you prefer the handling of the BMW, but I'd think about it this way. You're young, going off to college, and the last thing you need is another monthly payment and debt. You have plenty of time in your life to enjoy a BMW. I had to wait to buy mine until just recently at the age of 25 (recently finished law school). You did the smart thing, saving up money. Keep that strategy going. The TL is an awesome car to be driving around at your age or any other age, for that matter. You'll have all the features you want in a car that is PLENTY fun to drive. Use the extra dough to maintain some savings or give yourself some extra spending money while in school. You'll also enjoy your car more that way. Just my $.02, and either way, good luck with your decision and in school.

Thanks for all your help. Your exact reasons above are why I am leaning towards the TL. I can surely add the a-spec and sway bar and hopefully fix it up a little bit to make it more like what I want, and save ten grand ontop of that.

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of law did you do? I just finished my first year at Univ of Mich, and I am thinking about corporate law, if you have some time or advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 PM
ZHP 4CE

Thanks for all your help. Your exact reasons above are why I am leaning towards the TL. I can surely add the a-spec and sway bar and hopefully fix it up a little bit to make it more like what I want, and save ten grand ontop of that.

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of law did you do? I just finished my first year at Univ of Mich, and I am thinking about corporate law, if you have some time or advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Check your PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Check your PM.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Instructor

You have to rememeber that the BMW has 50/50 weight distribution. Unlike the TLs 60/40
Old 09-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmm.

Originally Posted by geminis2
You have to rememeber that the BMW has 50/50 weight distribution. Unlike the TLs 60/40
I wonder what the weight distribution is of an arrow... with the heavy arrowhead in front and the feathers in the back?

Wonder what it would do if you shot it backwards?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:04 PM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I wonder what the weight distribution is of an arrow... with the heavy arrowhead in front and the feathers in the back?

Wonder what it would do if you shot it backwards?
Interesting thought, but I wonder when was the last time an arrow ever had to make a sharp right turn in mid-air?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Here are my thoughts.....
That was a well-reasoned review, thanks for sharing! If I were going to buy a BMW, I'd probably buy a gently used E39 rather than the new 5--better-looking, and better handling....
Old 09-07-2004, 07:30 AM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by neuronbob
That was a well-reasoned review, thanks for sharing! If I were going to buy a BMW, I'd probably buy a gently used E39 rather than the new 5--better-looking, and better handling....
Yeah, BMW definitely dropped the ball with the new 5 (sad because the older E39 was almost perfect). With the exception of the new M5, I'd much prefer the TL in almost every respect to any of the new 5 series models.