3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the TL big enough for a family vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:45 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the TL big enough for a family vehicle?

My wife and I are thinking of having a kid soon and I'm thinking about what vehicle I should get that will be large enough (currently I have an '01 Accord coupe). I'm not really an SUV guy, but many of my friends that have kids and a SUV say the extra space is great to have.
I was wondering if there are any members out there with one kid that have a TL as their main "family vehicle" that would mind giving their opinions on how it's working out (does it have enough passenger/cargo space, is loading the kid in the baby seat easy enough, etc).
I'd like to stick with a car, as it more fits my spirited driving style and would be better on gas mileage. My wife currently has a TSX.
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Racer

I don't have a kid, but I know someone who has a child and a TL. According to him, there are times they wish they had a little more space. It usually works out for them, but there's another child on the way, so the TL may be replaced soon (they live in an apartment and use the subway to commute so only one vehicle is needed).
Old 03-17-2007, 05:14 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I think the TL is fine, but if you want just a bit more space, take a look at the RDX, its like an oversized car.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
itz big enough... sometimes i travel with 5 adults in the car =)

still moves great
Old 03-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two kids and my old car was a 1998 Accord 4-door. While the TL is a nice improvement space-wise, it doesn't really "solve" any space issues that I had with the Accord. The biggest improvement is that the back seats (and cabin in general) are bigger, but not to the point where you say "wow, this thing really gives us a lot more space." I did notice that the trunk seems to be quite a bit larger, though, which is good for family trips.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:55 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
With a wife and 6 yr son. TL is plenty. It's the reason I bought one instead of 3 Series or G35. Plus when I'm alone it's fun to drive. My wife has a 99 CRV.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Its pretty good to haul 2 kids in the back. 3 is ok but 2 is perfect.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
TL should be fine for ya
Old 03-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

Although it's not a compact car, the TL is not a huge car, space-wise. There isn't any problem having a child seat behind the passenger's seat, but you won't be able to put the front seat all the way back without the seatback running into the car seat. This is probably true of most mid-size cars, however, and there is certainly enough room for the front seat passenger with a car seat in the back. If you are hauling a ton of stuff around you should probably look at a small SUV like the RDX or a larger car like the Toyota Avalon. However if you think the TL's trunk is big enough for your needs, I don't think you'll have any problems hauling around one child in it.

It is perfectly easy to put the child into the car seat. The latch system works just fine to get the seat in and out. You should probably get a seat protector to put under the car seat so as to not damage the leather.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullet Train
My wife and I are thinking of having a kid soon and I'm thinking about what vehicle I should get that will be large enough (currently I have an '01 Accord coupe). I'm not really an SUV guy, but many of my friends that have kids and a SUV say the extra space is great to have.
Welcome to Acurazine.
You shouldn't have any issues with room in the TL unless you have a second child and try to squeeze an adult in back between the two car seats.
My two kids (now 8 and 10) fit fine in the TL, but prefer the higher seats in the minivan. I'm not an SUV guy either, and much prefer the Odyssey to a SUV.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The TL should comfortably sit 2 average sized adults and a child. I don't know what other type of space people would want for 3 people in a mid-sized car. Maybe if both mom and dad are 7 feet tall? I've had 4 adults (me included) in mine without any problems.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:15 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
It's all about "family planning". Since you are only thinking about your 1st kid, now is the time to buy a TL. You'll be able to use your TL until you decide if/when you have your 2nd. With just 1 kid the TL is just fine. It's more efficient and makes sense for now. (Not to mention more youthful) A soccermom SUV right now is just a waste and will kill you with gas.

It's with your 2nd kid that you will defintely need room. Most people want to space their children by at least 2-3 yrs. so you can figure that you can get about 3-4 yrs. use of your TL, use up your 3-yr warranty on the car and trade-up to a bigger vehicle. (Just hope the 2nd kid isn't a suprise )
Old 03-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Racer

My $0.02 on this... I have 2 rug burners age 7 and 3.

The 7 year old will be 8 soon and within the confines of the law no longer need to require a child safety seat... Plus he will be big enough to not need a booster.

The 3 year old, she needs to be in a seat and looks damn uncomfortable I might add... Keep in mind they have "boosters" and then "seats," the booster uses the back part of the car's seat only for support. So the "car seat" for the 3 year old doesn't recline much.

No biggie for me cause they usually roll in the MV... But last night we I took the fam out in the TL and I'll post a picture in a bit of the back seat.

You might think twice about a TL as primary driver with SMALL kids... Having kids in the 8 and up age range, you'll be a cooool parent!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I think its big enough. I have a 6 year old, and its big enough for us. The trunk is not as deep as a car like the Maxima, but with just one kid definetely enough room for us.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
With 6 year old twins and a 70lb dog I'm sure glad we have a minivan as the other vehicle. But with one small child and perhaps no dog you should be fine.

Even so when it is just four of us out (two booster seats in the back) there is ample room.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Pro

I was wondering if there are any members out there with one kid that have a TL as their main "family vehicle" that would mind giving their opinions on how it's working out (does it have enough passenger/cargo space, is loading the kid in the baby seat easy enough, etc).
I'd like to stick with a car, as it more fits my spirited driving style and would be better on gas mileage. My wife currently has a TSX.
Thanks.
Are you questioning about passenger volume only or total volume (ie passenger plus cargo)? For most families, unless they are giants, obese or NBA players, TL is fine in terms of passenger space. If they carry a lot of luggage (such as for long trips), TL's trunk space is quite small. In all events, TL is great for 4 people, the 5th sitting in the middle back will feel uncomfy.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by onsknth
My $0.02 on this... I have 2 rug burners age 7 and 3.

The 7 year old will be 8 soon and within the confines of the law no longer need to require a child safety seat... Plus he will be big enough to not need a booster.

The 3 year old, she needs to be in a seat and looks damn uncomfortable I might add... Keep in mind they have "boosters" and then "seats," the booster uses the back part of the car's seat only for support. So the "car seat" for the 3 year old doesn't recline much.

No biggie for me cause they usually roll in the MV... But last night we I took the fam out in the TL and I'll post a picture in a bit of the back seat.

You might think twice about a TL as primary driver with SMALL kids... Having kids in the 8 and up age range, you'll be a cooool parent!
Here's the pics I promised...

Keep in mind two things.

1. The backseat was absolutely spotless before adding car seats yesterday afternoon.

2. Round trip about 100 miles, or approximately 2 hours in the car.

Here's from the driver's side, the gray seat is a "booster" the black seat is like a "bucket."

From the passenger side...

Here's where the fun begins... It's not as bad as it looks, the marks wipe off and are inevitably going to happen. -1 for black interior +1 for something like tan/taupe... The 7 year old sits on this side. Keep in mind I am 6ft tall and the seat is almost adjusted fully back (might have to soon, appears the TL is causing me some back trouble too) But we went from house to house on this trip and the kids were wearing their "good shoes."

The 3 year old's side, her feet aren't nearly as big or long legged as the big one's. Nonetheless, she still leaves her mark.

Finally... Even though the above is going to happen no matter what I do. This next pic can totally be averted, OR NOT? I didn't see any apples prior to leaving or getting them out of the car, but it sat there all night (below freezing so no smell)... BUT KIDS ARE FLIPPING DIRTY! If these pictures don't disturb or describe the "utility" of the TL to you, I don't know what will or you simple could care less and your backseat looks this way regularly.

Little monsters...

Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
ugh, I would take their shoes off after putting them in the car.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Pro

No more eating and drinking in the car, and kids have to ride bare-footed from now on!!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

I have 7 and 8 year old sons, and space is not an issue. You have to clean the front seatbacks more often, but you shouldn't have kids if you don't want to clean. I would definitely recommend getting a seat mat to cover the leather seats before you put child seats on top of them.

I think most parents today are wimps. Everyone says to get an SUV or you won't have enough room. My parents crammed my two brothers and I into the back seat of a 1971 Duster, which is a two door. We got to know each other really well, sometimes too well, on the longer trips ("he's touching me!"). Other than the occasional need to pull over and beat us senseless, there were no space problems at all!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

I have had my TL for two years now and my kids were 12 and 11 when I got it. Space has not been a problem. Last summer I took the whole family from Virginia to Michigan in the TL for a week long vacation. I had a full trunk, luggage on a roof rack and some additional stuff in the back seat with the kids. It was not ideal, but it worked.

I don't know how child seats are going to do in the TL, but I do know that it's almost impossible to keep any car nice with small children.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by twysk
Other than the occasional need to pull over and beat us senseless, there were no space problems at all!
That's funny right there!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
4th Gear

Wow, thanks guys for the big response.
It sounds like the TL should work OK for 1 child. I guess I can always get a larger vehicle in the future if it becomes necessary.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
There are some pretty good points in this thread. The big one is that, ironically enough, toddlers pretty much take up the most space in the car when it comes to kids because they're at the intermediary stage where they're tall/big enough to kick the seats, but still small enough that they need to use those booster seats. Having the booster seats basically turns a 50lb kid into a seatback destroying terror. Believe me, I have a four year old who's already way tall, and being over six feet myself, I'm constantly reminding him not to kick my seats. I used to do the "no shoes in my car" thing but he's getting pretty good about not kicking the seat now. Once he's legally big enough to not need a base (I think he's almost there), that kid is getting some front seat status, or at the very least, I'll be tossing out that toddler car seat for when he's riding in the back.

The other little tot I have is still riding in one of those infant car seats, which are friggin gigantic because of the base and the seat itself, which has all kinds of plastic handles and everything else jettisoning out from each of its sides. We have the detachable car seat/base setup which is great for being able to use the same seat in multiple cars. Doing that also takes up less space in our house because we only need one seat for him.

When both of my kids and my wife are in the car, I personally am not comfortable with the situation. My wife is short, so the infant's seat goes on her side, but even in that situation we have to put the seat up a good amount, as well as not have it leaning back too much -- can't scratch up the beautiful ebony leather yo!

As far as seat protection goes, you should be able to find many products to take care of that. I found a nice Eddie Bauer seat protector that has good padding and matches my ebony interior nicely.

Oh and if you're looking for suggestions on toddler car seats, get the one that onsknth has; I have the same one and I love it. When I don't have the kids (which is often because the wife usually does), I keep that toddler car seat and the infant's car seat base in my trunk, and I still have plenty of room in there for other stuff.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:10 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,176 Likes on 3,964 Posts
Originally Posted by onsknth
Here's the pics I promised...

Keep in mind two things.

1. The backseat was absolutely spotless before adding car seats yesterday afternoon.

2. Round trip about 100 miles, or approximately 2 hours in the car.

Here's from the driver's side, the gray seat is a "booster" the black seat is like a "bucket."

From the passenger side...

Here's where the fun begins... It's not as bad as it looks, the marks wipe off and are inevitably going to happen. -1 for black interior +1 for something like tan/taupe... The 7 year old sits on this side. Keep in mind I am 6ft tall and the seat is almost adjusted fully back (might have to soon, appears the TL is causing me some back trouble too) But we went from house to house on this trip and the kids were wearing their "good shoes."

The 3 year old's side, her feet aren't nearly as big or long legged as the big one's. Nonetheless, she still leaves her mark.

Finally... Even though the above is going to happen no matter what I do. This next pic can totally be averted, OR NOT? I didn't see any apples prior to leaving or getting them out of the car, but it sat there all night (below freezing so no smell)... BUT KIDS ARE FLIPPING DIRTY! If these pictures don't disturb or describe the "utility" of the TL to you, I don't know what will or you simple could care less and your backseat looks this way regularly.

Little monsters...

I think that is the saddest post i've ever seen on AZ
Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Thanks.

Get a Volvo wagon