Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tint warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation tint warranty

ok, so last summer i got a 35% tint with a lifetime warranty.
i want to upgrade to 20% because they look better, my friends have told me they havent gotten any heat from cops about them, though might be different for me cuz i stand out with my turban

my excuses (hey they are valid reasons) for using the warranty to have the guy redo my tint:
he didnt do the rear quarter window all the way
he used metalic tint (he didnt tell me he would use them, but i can tell he did with gps/radio reception suffering and if u look at them from an angle with polarized sunglasses, you can tell its metallic)

if you were the tint guy, would those reasons suffice for you to redo my car?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
No.

There is no fault in materials (fading, color shift, etc) or workmanship (bubbles, peeling, glue streaks, etc). Therefore no warranty replacement.

Regarding the metallic - caveat emptor. You should've known what you were buying and the risks associated with it.

Regards the quarter window, you took deliver of the car and have had it, say, 4 months without complaint. Why is it a problem now? At best they might redo that for you.

A t the end of the day, you bought 35%, now you want 20%. Making shit up to get 'em free is the same as stealing in my book. How'd you like if somebody did that to your business?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Touche!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

here in NC legal limit is 35% and i have 15, i got pulled, got a warning for it and either have to take it off, or get my cop friend to waive it for me but i might take it off to avoid future problems, but in my opinion its worth getting the tint, and i did get lifetime warranty on the car, but that does not include getting it removed because of the law.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by shubysingh

Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
If was a tint guy, hmmm, I'm for Brooklyn, you don't want my response lol.

This would of worked if the tints were done within 7 days or so....
Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered Nutsack

I also had my windows tinted back in June 07 w 35% made by 3M. My problem is that the tint has scracthes/ creases all over it (mainly the driver's side) from the installer not using some kind of moleskin with the installastion. My question is this: Is scratching covered under a warranty or am I SOL since it's not really a manufacturer defect as much as it is an Acura defect? Anybody know?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
shubysingh: There is no way that he is going to let you redo it unless he is a complete idiot.

fokkerfitch83: That should be covered under the warranty depending on if he moleskin'd the other windows or not.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Race Director

BigBall, after-market product's installation voids the ability of you making a claim, especially if the after-market part caused the fault.

Just use moleskins, yes you will get more road noise, but your tints will be safe.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Just talk to them, tell them you are unhappy with the type of tint, and see if they're willing to work with you on redoing it. They might be reasonable. Not if you try some bs warranty claim though...

if you do want to pursue the metallic claim, you better ask them if it is indeed metallic first, before you look like a dumbass. my ceramic film has a purple shimmer with my polarized lens...
Old 01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by fokkerfitch83
I also had my windows tinted back in June 07 w 35% made by 3M. My problem is that the tint has scracthes/ creases all over it (mainly the driver's side) from the installer not using some kind of moleskin with the installastion. My question is this: Is scratching covered under a warranty or am I SOL since it's not really a manufacturer defect as much as it is an Acura defect? Anybody know?

My installer claimed that scratches were not a "tint" problem, but an Acura Design problem and/or a dirty car problem. Now for the most part we all know that almost any tint will scratch in these cars without moleskin, so it really is a car problem, not a tint problem.

What pissed me off is the installer swore he did the tints for the local Acura dealer, never used moleskin and never had a scratch complaint. So, like a dumbass, I only put moleskin on the front windlows. 3 Weeks later, the backs have a half-dozen scratches each and the tinter wouldn't work with me at all. For what I spent, I could've gone with Pinnacle F1.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
They should have installed Moleskin without questioning... Especially for an Acura, got mine done once in NC they put moleskin in without asking. What a BS Installer
Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, I just read your post, and sorry, but you make me mad. I rarely - RARELY take offense to anything on here, but thats just one of the lamest posts ever.

I own a tint shop and I can't even tell you how dissapointing that is to read. Get a clue.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Racer

Scratching is the only thing tinters won't cover under warranty. A lot of newer cars are seeing these issues, not just our TLs - even the new Mustangs are showing this. I tell all my customers that proper cleaning of the seals is a must! I've read mixed reviews on moleskin, but will start trying it shortly on a few of our cars. We've been getting a lot of requests for it.

Creasing on the other hand is definitely the fault of poor installation though. The tint should never move once it's dried.

I'd take it back and have him check it out.

We understand the problem and will sometimes replace a window out of good faith. If its just on one window see what your guy says. Shouldn't take them too long to help you out. Remind them that you refer customers - which is the best compliment to any business owner.

Collin
Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i want to upgrade to 20% because they look better, my friends have told me they havent gotten any heat from cops about them, though might be different for me cuz i stand out with my turban

my excuses (hey they are valid reasons) for using the warranty to have the guy redo my tint:
he used metalic tint (he didnt tell me he would use them, but i can tell he did with gps/radio reception suffering and if u look at them from an angle with polarized sunglasses, you can tell its metallic)

nahin yaar, eh koi gal nahin bani, tenu koi hor rasta labna penah

you speak punjabi, singh?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Race Director

I wanna know what you called him!!!! lol

theklassic, can you recommend where I can purchase that little torch that you guys use to remove the small bubbles? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you're not only cheap but also an asshole .

These issues, if they were issues at the time should have been brought up sooner. If you had an issue with the quarters it should have been brought to the shops attention within a week or so. Also, non-metallic tint is typically an option, not standard as it's more expensive.

BTW It's not the tinters fault you changed your mind on the percentage to hide your ugly mug.

Dunno who would actually agree with you on this...
Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I wanna know what you called him!!!! lol

theklassic, can you recommend where I can purchase that little torch that you guys use to remove the small bubbles? Thanks!

Actually, we use a standard heat gun. You might be able to get it out with a hard card and a very little bit of heat, but be real careful. I'd recommend using a blow dryer on high for a few seconds then pressing with the hard card.

This *might* work, but if its already dry, it needs to be replaced. This usually only works right after the tint is placed on.

The good news though is that bubbles are definitely warranty work. If the heat and hard card method don't work take it back. They gotta cover it.

Most of our supplies we pick up from Fellers - if you really want the torch they have it. Look up the TS4000T. (www.fellers.com)

Hit me back and let me know how it goes.

Collin
Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Race Director

Thank you Collin, I have a few tiny tiny bubbles, that only I can see, lol.

My main problem is that the shop I went to (and I always go to them), were in the process of moving to a new location, so I got some freakin' dust in my tints! Besides that the job was ok.

Next time I'm driving to you in MD, thinking of redoing my 35% to 20% (3M), and don't worry, I won't try to scam you on the warranty, lol.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thevikas87
nahin yaar, eh koi gal nahin bani, tenu koi hor rasta labna penah

you speak punjabi, singh?
tekh hai fir. yaar, eh gore bahut naraz hounde.
they dont know how us punjabis roll.
hope dat answers the punjabi question
Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Racer

and to the rest of you, apparently you all cant take a joke.
i was thinking out loud, i wasnt actually going to take it back for these reasons
1. its way too far, ive moved away from there
2. if u havnt noticed im 17, i have better uses for da money like college (dont mean to brag but i applied to harvard and they got back to me, they wanted to interview me, but tuition is through the roof so im saving up to help da parents any way i can)
i said that i WANTED to upgrade my tint, not that i was planning on it. i also want a porsche 911 gt2. again, the money issue.

TeknoKing: he didnt call me anything
saturated_fat: da turban turns any ugly mug into the face of a god

on a sidenote, does anyone know if the dc auto show is worth going to? i dont think they have any debuts there like they do at new york or detriot.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered Nutsack

Ok, so I figure I'm basically SOL. It's ok though as I have car inspection coming soon and the tints are not legal up front in NJ. Now I have a second question. How hard is it to remove the tint? I mean can I just yank it off using a razor blade and brute force? Or should I Goo gone it or something first? I read somewhere about using a trash bag and ammonia but it sounded very involved for essentially removing a big sticker. theklassic what do you guys usually do when you remove a customer's tint? I know the installer said he'd do it for free but he was an ass to me the last time I went there and I'd hate to have to bring my car and leave it there all day if it's just a straight forwards deal.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL...as usual, ya'll turn a thread into a free-for-all! Yo Shub, thinking out loud is not for forums man, or you get dissed out loud...ya feel me? Protect ya neck and think with your inside voice! And stop talking that punjabi talk LOL! How I know you ain't talking 'bout my dog???

Good luck on the tint bro (but keep it real)!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok, so I figure I'm basically SOL. It's ok though as I have car inspection coming soon and the tints are not legal up front in NJ. Now I have a second question. How hard is it to remove the tint? I mean can I just yank it off using a razor blade and brute force? Or should I Goo gone it or something first? I read somewhere about using a trash bag and ammonia but it sounded very involved for essentially removing a big sticker. theklassic what do you guys usually do when you remove a customer's tint? I know the installer said he'd do it for free but he was an ass to me the last time I went there and I'd hate to have to bring my car and leave it there all day if it's just a straight forwards deal.

Removing window tint shouldnt be all that difficult i presume. Heres a helpful link

http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html

I wouldnt do it in the cold weather thou, if you live in a colder climate. Like the link says, you need a "Warm Sunny Day" as one of your materials, lol Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Race Director

2. if u havnt noticed im 17, i have better uses for da money like college (dont mean to brag but i applied to harvard and they got back to me, they wanted to interview me, but tuition is through the roof so im saving up to help da parents any way i can)
Congrats on Harvard!

I wish you luck on the interview, and I would suggest you bring a very large check with the acceptance letter.

Peace

PS Two of my friends are in Harvard, twin girls, now that's hot! Each speaks 5 languages, graduated #1 and #2 in their high school class at the age of 18. One is going to be a brain surgeon, and the other, a lawyer. Each is already offered over $250K starting at age 22. And, the most lovable part, they do NOT brag. I need to marry one of them, lol!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Congrats on Harvard!

I wish you luck on the interview, and I would suggest you bring a very large check with the acceptance letter.

Peace

PS Two of my friends are in Harvard, twin girls, now that's hot! Each speaks 5 languages, graduated #1 and #2 in their high school class at the age of 18. One is going to be a brain surgeon, and the other, a lawyer. Each is already offered over $250K starting at age 22. And, the most lovable part, they do NOT brag. I need to marry one of them, lol!
Hmm...I could do 22!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Racer

the ammonia thing is only for the rear, and u have to be really careful not to damage a defroster line
google it
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Wocoomrd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was thinking out loud, i wasnt actually going to take it back for these reasons
i said that i WANTED to upgrade my tint, not that i was planning on it. i also want a porsche 911 gt2. again, the money issue.

TeknoKing: he didnt call me anything
saturated_fat: da turban turns any ugly mug into the face of a god

on a sidenote, does anyone know if the dc auto show is worth going to? i dont think they have any debuts there like they do at new york or detriot.
Did you apply to Harvard or HarFORD? With your grammar...I seriously hope you don't write like that. If you're smart about it, Harvard offers grants. There are also numerous scholarships out there. Lame excuse for saying a school is too expensive to go to. If you're "intelligent" enough to get accepted into Harvard, you're intelligent enough to search for scholarships.

I worked way through school and my school was about $42 grand a year. I went to Emory. I was able to get numerous scholarships each year. Students with Harvard intellect do not have your 15 year old reasoning.

Grow up.

:Flame suit on:
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tekh hai fir. yaar, eh gore bahut naraz hounde.
they dont know how us punjabis roll.
hope dat answers the punjabi question

haha aiight bro, good luck with harvard and with the tint deal, tu phikar nah kar, eh sare bahut bolde hage

and for the translation so no one thinks about talkin 'bout their dog, i said

"dont worry about school, it'll be alright"
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Racer

The film is just on the front windshield/and passenger doors, yeah? As long as its not on the back window, I'm sure you can take care of this yourself. The reason tint shops usually charge that 99 dollar rate is usually solely due to the back window. Its a pain in the ass to get tint off of the defroster lines without a razor.

All you really need is a steamer (any clothing version will do) and a box of razor blades. Steam the window to soften the tint for a few seconds to a minute and find an edge of the film with the razor - then peel and steam as you go. If you give it enough steam you won't have any residue.

Just be careful not to heat the glass too much. There's always a slight chance of cracking.

The above is all you need. No trash bags, no ammonia, no goo gone...

Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
AZ Community Team

2. if u havnt noticed im 17, i have better uses for da money like college ....

Oops! My Bad. I guessed I missed the :wink: and the and the in the first post. It is SO obvious that you were "joking".

You're 17? Well, that's how 17 year-olds roll, I guess.

First they do some dumbass thing (like thinking up lies to get new tints under warranty). Then when somebody call's , they don't step up and say, "Yeah. That's not right, it was a dumbass idea. I didn't think it through."

Instead they add new "information" and try to pawn it off as a "joke".

Good Luck in College. You need some education. Hopefully they require courses in Personal and Social Responisbility, Ethics and Critical Thinking.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DrMooCow
Did you apply to Harvard or HarFORD? With your grammar...I seriously hope you don't write like that. If you're smart about it, Harvard offers grants. There are also numerous scholarships out there. Lame excuse for saying a school is too expensive to go to. If you're "intelligent" enough to get accepted into Harvard, you're intelligent enough to search for scholarships.

I worked way through school and my school was about $42 grand a year. I went to Emory. I was able to get numerous scholarships each year. Students with Harvard intellect do not have your 15 year old reasoning.

Grow up.

:Flame suit on:
youre making it seem like people just hand you scholarships. i know that i will be able to get some but i am not expecting 50 grand a year in just scholarships, lets be realistic. they only give full rides to schools like harvard if both your parents have died and you are a single mother of 2 and yet still graduate as valedictorian.

and the grammar thing. im in high school. do you honestly know of any high schooler that uses proper grammar on the internet?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Racer

Guys,

I think we should consider this thread a dead topic. I feel we've addressed the issue and gave input to the couple of members that actually needed related and legitimate help.

Collin
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by theklassic
Guys,

I think we should consider this thread a dead topic. I feel we've addressed the issue and gave input to the couple of members that actually needed related and legitimate help.

Collin
Agreed.