Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting TL - for my wife!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 09:28 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Thinking of getting TL - for my wife!

My wife just totalled her car last night. (The tree won)
She's OK, but her Frontier S/C Crew Cab is toast.

She thinks that she wants to switch from a pick up to a car. The Frontier cost $30,000+ new, and now, 2 years later, is only booked at $14K.

Anyway, despite being a multiple victim of the tranny wars of 2002, I still have a soft spot for the TL. I was thinking of draggin her over to the Acura dealer and having her check out an 04 w/NAVI.

Since I haven't been by here in a while, can some of you give me a few pointers before I go? I noticed there was some talk here about crappy tires. What's that all about?

Also, I am afraid to ask, but is the tranny situation all set? What about pricing? Can I expect to get them to move off of list?

Any help would be appreciated. There is no guaranty that she will like the car, but it's worth a shot.

You guys were always helpful in the past, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

THANKS

:-jon
Old 03-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything you asked about has been covered in depth in previous threads. you should do a search of those topics

sorry to hear about your wife's bad luck, but al least you never have to drive another Ford. Good god, what a POS.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Getting TL for wife as well.......

My wife's car lease is up, and I was able to get a TL with Nav for $500 off MSRP and the protection pacakge for free..... Nav cars are hot and she needs a car fast.....if I have time, I can probably wheel and deal and get a better offer, but I also know a lot of dealers in my area are not budging on the list price, so I am happy!

Good luck and sorry about your wife's accident!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

if you do a search you will find tons of stuff on the 2004 TL. but here are some basic things.

the earlier VIN numbers had crappy tires on them(bridgestone el42). when its cold outside and the car sits still for a while it will flatspot resulting in vibration at around 50mph. they replaced these tires with re-designed el42's and it seems to have fixed it.

memory seats - again this is earlier models the memory will not hold next time you come back to it. there is a fix for this already and only applies to VIN's under 18XXX.

glovebox rattle - some cars have this usually hte early ones again. not as much a problem, i don't see alot of posts about this.

price wise i have seen is from sticker price to 32K for a navi. i doubt you will get 32K but something close to it in the 33K range would probably be your best bet. good luck with the car.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:13 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back Jon! Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you still remember me?

IMO, you can't go wrong with the 04 TL as you can tell by all these crazy owners. Just like us when the 99-03 TLs came out.

BTW, how's the q45 holding up?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:49 AM
Banned

Hey Jon--glad to see you're still around! After all that tranny crap I figured you would have moved on and not looked back.

There have been some minor build problems (outlined above) but so far I have not seen one post about an '04 TL tranny failure on any of the sites. So I guess that's a good thing.

Take a long look at the Volvo S60R too. About 5K more than the TL but it's a nice safe--and FAST--car for the money.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:26 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Hey, nice to hear from some familiar voices. How could I forget Binh!!? Meeting at your driveway was my first TL "experience"!

Well, we will test drive a TL next week, as the insurance dude has officially totalled the truck.

I will post back after that. I am actually looking forward to it.

BTW - The Q is fine, however I have to admit that it REALLY SUCKS in the snow!

:-jon
Old 03-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
John!!

Whuddup -- glad to see you're back posting on the forum. If you hadn't heard, check my sig ... i'm in an '04. I highly recommend it (also, i'm glad your wife is ok)

I love your black Q ... yeah ..RWD is the reason I'm not in a BMW right now .. that and the extra $10,000!!

Sorry about that S/C'd truck... i love nissans and I imagine that truck was pretty fun to drive w/ the charger.. i'm surprised they didn't get more hp out of it though.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:35 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally posted by PeterUbers
John!!

Whuddup -- glad to see you're back posting on the forum. If you hadn't heard, check my sig ... i'm in an '04. I highly recommend it (also, i'm glad your wife is ok)

I love your black Q ... yeah ..RWD is the reason I'm not in a BMW right now .. that and the extra $10,000!!

Sorry about that S/C'd truck... i love nissans and I imagine that truck was pretty fun to drive w/ the charger.. i'm surprised they didn't get more hp out of it though.

Hey Peter! Glad to see another "tranny" veteran still around. Great news on the '04. If that car would have come out last spring, I probably would have never gotten the Q.

Here's a shot of the truck!

Old 03-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
John,

Once again, after seeing the pic, I'm glad your wife is ok. Thank god we live in a world where our government forces car companies to build such durable, safe vehicles. The cabin is UNSCATHED!! I personally give that truck a 5 star rating, ...is the windshield even cracked?? It doesn't look like it.

Are they just gunna salvage the nissan now?
Old 03-20-2004, 10:38 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Yeah. The insurance company got it out of there quick, as they were worried someone would grab the leather seats or the wheels!

The windshied is actually cracked, but the dealer said it was from the airbags!! The dashboard is pretty much broken up, and the rear seat was "unpopped", as the force of the collision moved the frame back. However, you are correct, the driver area was pretty much protected! YIKES!

If you look close, you can see how FLAT the "cow catcher" bar is that I had on the front. It was a round metal bar, silver, that you can now see (sortof) in the middle of the indentation. It proved no match for the tree!
Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad your wife is fine after looking at that picture.

Good luck and hope you come back to the Acura family with the 04 TL.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm late to the thread, but WELCOME BACK JOHN! I'm glad your wife is OK, and I still love your Q-ship in black. I remember your classic tranny threads .

The 04 has no tranny issues any of us know of. If you go to the "Common TL topics" forum you'll have most of your questions answered. I can't help you with pricing because I was one of the first on the 04 TL ship. Six months later, I have yet to regret that decision. Tires are OK but could be better. I really have had very few issues with the car, not as many rattles as the last gen TL.

Try it, you may be surprised. There's a reason it's already selling like hotcakes.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:56 AM
10th Gear

Sorry to hear about the wreck, glad you wife is ok. Turnersville Acura in New Jersey will order 04 6mt with Nav for 32,820. Thats the best price Ive seen so far. Von Keakeanau is the Internet Sales consultant. Hes a good guy. If you talk to him, tell him Kevin Rees sent you.

btw, Thats the same price I am getting on an order and I bumped that quote over to some local dealerships for some comparison shopping. Both dealerships I talked to said "Thats crazy, the msrp is 35,xxx...that deals golden. GO pick it up." and "WHy are you still talking to me?? Go get it"...