Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch Blade Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switch Blade Key

I do not have my acura yet, but this month is when i recieve it. I do not believe that acura makes their keys with the button push key chain that when you push the button the key flings out like a switch blade. Then you can fold it back in, so all you have is a box w/ nothing sticking out of it.

Tell me if I am wrong, it is a very small feature that i really like and wish acura had. But def. not a big deal...lol.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

I wish Acura had this. Unfortunately I haven't heard of anything like this yet.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Racer

You are correct.
If you want a key like that go buy a Passat and have fun visiting your local service department monthly.
Seriously, I never saw the appeal to these things. They are way bigger than a key really needs to be.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stewie
You are correct.
If you want a key like that go buy a Passat and have fun visiting your local service department monthly.
Seriously, I never saw the appeal to these things. They are way bigger than a key really needs to be.
Eveyone has their things that they like, it is just personal preference.

I like the idea of everything folding up into a box.

I am sure there are many out there that would not like this feature. And quite frankly who cares since it is such a minute detail of this great package.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Racer

Didn't mercedes used to make keys like that too? I know the new mercedes don't even use standard keys anymore.. some infrared/laser thing now, although it still houses a standard key, you don't have to use it unless the new infrared key thing (i have no idea what it's called) runs out of batteries..
Old 08-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Advanced

The Acura TL doesn't come with a switch blade key. My parents have that for their Range Rover and I hate it. It would be okay if you didn't have to use it very often, but when you have to stick the key in the ignition and turn it, it feels weak like the key will break away from the plastic box if you turn any harder. And it's like anything that has too many moving parts: the more parts that move, the more parts can break. The more you open and close this thing, the better chance you have of breaking the little key off. If the vehicle had a keyless ignition like those Lexus', it wouldn't be so bad because you'd only have to use the key once in a while when the battery is dying on your keyless entry remote.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Kelnshe

Mercedes still has the switch blade key. My cousin has the ML320 SUV and we had to switch cars for a day (and it was a long day, believe me). I liked the switchblade concept, other than the first few seconds after he gave me the keys. I stood and stared at it for about 10 seconds before my wife found the button to release the key.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the switchblade - had it on my Audi and VW and is much classier than the TL's Hyundai-style key-and-fob crap. Reverse laser-cut key also more difficult to falsify (i know the TL has an immobilizer)
Old 08-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Fob

I had the switch-blade key/remote on a rental Volvo and I loved it. Less bulk to carry around than a separate key and fob.

Ideally, the keyless sensor would be best. Just keep it in your pocket like Cadillac, Corvette, and some Lexi.

XP
Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Royal Flush

Originally Posted by Stewie
You are correct.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so true. VW/Audi quality is horrendous. My sister's POS-sat was in for service practically every month.

VW/Audi
Old 08-05-2004, 03:26 PM
8th Gear

What are all of you talking about? the switchblade key is awesome. I had one with my jetta for 3 years until i got my TL. The TL is a luxury car and should have the things that other luxury cars have. Its not that its a switchblade its the point that everything is on one key. Unlike on the TL were you have the key and the unlook/lock on a seperate device. For example the BMW key is not a switchblade but has everything on the key. Praticularly for people with a lot of keys already. Eventhough it is small and minor it is something the other manufactures do better.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Advanced

I don't understand why the TL didn't come with the new Accord style key. This is what it looks like......

Old 08-05-2004, 03:56 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by LSIII
I don't understand why the TL didn't come with the new Accord style key. This is what it looks like......

Maybe on the 2005?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:05 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe in 2005 the TL will get a intelligent key. The 2005 G35 has this.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Weather Watcher

I have seen the switch blade key on Volvo's and Audi's, and the all too cool RR. But what I have always been in awe of was the key fob that my uncle had on his 00' MB E420 in Kenya. To start the engine you had to put the key fob in the ignition and you'd hear the key get sucked out and u'd be ready to start the engine. Once you removed the fob from the ignition, the key would retract back into the fob, no buttons to press to release it or nothin. That was one bling bling ride at the time. Wonder if they still have this feature on the new MB models. I have no complaints about my TL Key/fob combo though - I love the car too much to care about those details.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Any key with the controls on it could not get wet. When I surf, I keep my key inside my wetsuit in a key pocket. I suppose I could leave it on the beach, but I would be awfully bummed if it and my TL were stolen!
Old 08-05-2004, 05:24 PM
I6

The 2003 Accord keys can get wet. I had left it in my pants once and put it in the washer. Nothing happen to the key/fob.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
The 2003 Accord keys can get wet. I had left it in my pants once and put it in the washer. Nothing happen to the key/fob.
If that's the case, I definitely would like the controls on the key.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stroutman
I do not have my acura yet, but this month is when i recieve it. I do not believe that acura makes their keys with the button push key chain that when you push the button the key flings out like a switch blade. Then you can fold it back in, so all you have is a box w/ nothing sticking out of it.
Shaguars have keys like that (and they are bizarre looking things, too - imagine a metal Q-tip with little metal spikes in place of the cotton ball). But Acuras have regular old double-cut keys (with a transponder chip embedded in the plastic head) - no switchblades.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Racer

Acura short-changed us on several items that they have provided on lower line cars such as the Accord and the TSX. I just can't imagine why.

It's like the car was devloped by different committees that didn't talk to each other.

Since the car identifies the user's fobs via RF, why can't it just use the fob to engage the igntion, with a button to start, such as on the new MB or Lexus?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:43 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by automophile
Acura short-changed us on several items that they have provided on lower line cars such as the Accord and the TSX. I just can't imagine why.

It's like the car was devloped by different committees that didn't talk to each other.

Since the car identifies the user's fobs via RF, why can't it just use the fob to engage the igntion, with a button to start, such as on the new MB or Lexus?

I was wondering the same exact thing??

There is ZERO consistency in the Acura product line. The cars are all developed by different groups, who apparently have no interest in communicating with one another.

Why doesn't the MDX have blue tooth?
Why doesn't the TL have an MP3 Player option(Honda offers this, as does the TSX)?
Why do lower end Hondas (the Accord) have a key that is more up to date than the upper line Acura cars (we get old ass FOBS)????
Why doesn't the TL have a reverse camera (or at least an option to install one)??

ZERO consistency! I highly doubt that Toyota offers features unavailable in a Lexus (they don't) the same is true for Infiniti + Nissan (i.e. they have truly established each as a definitive brand).

Personally I feel they need to give the reigns of the brand over to someone who is interested in differentiating it from Honda and truly establishing it as higher line. As it stands now Acura offers nothing more than expensive Hondas. Since they are making money doing it, there is little chance they will change the formula!

even still I love my TL
Old 08-06-2004, 11:47 AM
JBM
Intermediate

Which key fob will it be?

First of all, I'm in the same boat. I like the switchblade key. Currently I have an Audi A4, which has them. It puts everything in the one unit, which is cool, and has the reverse cut key as well. The BMWs have the all inclusive key, similar to the Accord keys shown on this thread, except the key charges when in the ignition, so you never have to replace batteries . . . very cool.

There are two rumors about the possibility of a new key for 05. Now remember, this is complete unsubstantiated, questionable-source gossip/rumor.
1. The TL will come with the all inclusive key the Accord has. Simply because the first brochures of the 04 TL demonstrated a new key for the vehicle, but that key never appeared.

2. The 05 will come with an owner recognition based key, similar to the Lexus type.

Whichever it is . . . I'll be happy with either one. Not like I'm saying I'll not take delivery of my car because the keys are thee same old ones that they have now, but it would be nice to have something a bit more elegant.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSIII

now THAT is much better... i wish there was a way i could use that on my '03 TL.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:56 AM
I6

It's called an intelligent key. Infiniti has them also. Now the 2005 G35 is getting it. Your walk up to your car and you press this little black button on the door handle and the door unlocks. You can start the car without the keys also. Just leave your keys in your pocket.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

I hope when they do have the integrated key, we can pay to have that work for our 04TL, They better be thinking of the people who already purchased the car.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:12 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
I hope when they do have the integrated key, we can pay to have that work for our 04TL, They better be thinking of the people who already purchased the car.
I am sure that Acura would not miss an opportunity to upsell every current TL owner new sets of keys (even though the key was supposed to be part of the 04).