Sunroof Deflector and Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005 | 07:22 PM
10th Gear

Sunroof Deflector and Wind Noise

I'm getting ready to by a 05 or 06 TL and wondered if anyone has an opinion on if the sunroof deflector reduces wind noice significantly when the sunroof is open? I have a 2002 TL-S and it made a big difference, but I don't see a lot of the 04/05s with them.
Old 08-10-2005 | 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lattanzi
I'm getting ready to by a 05 or 06 TL and wondered if anyone has an opinion on if the sunroof deflector reduces wind noice significantly when the sunroof is open? I have a 2002 TL-S and it made a big difference, but I don't see a lot of the 04/05s with them.
i havent ever used one but it seems as though they would almost block all the air that would come in, almost making the sunrood pointless. is this true?
Old 08-10-2005 | 07:37 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
i havent ever used one but it seems as though they would almost block all the air that would come in, almost making the sunrood pointless. is this true?
Sunroof's let SUN IN, and suck air out of the cabin. The shape of the car makes the air going over it much faster than the air going arround it creating a vaccum behind the small black wind blocker that pops-up when you open it. It is an opening, not a scoop. The deflector will only increase this effect.

Old 08-11-2005 | 12:12 AM
Racer

Lattanzi...

Well i'll be able to answer this question for you on tomorrow after around 5'ish. The reason why is because i'm taking my 05TL to the Acura dealership so they can install mine on. I actually bought my car from another Leith Acura like an hour or so away from me and my sales guy said that he would throw the moonroof visor in also, however, they're currently on backorder so he didn't know when one would be available. (I don't think i've ever seen the new models with the moonroof visor on them and one reason could be b/c people just don't know what it's capable of doing, or they don't like it, or b/c of the fact they're backordered.) So anyway the good news is that he just took one off of the TL they had in their showroom and mailed it to me. So as i stated earlier i'll go tomorrow for the dealership here to install. My sales guy has it on his new Accord and he says he loves it b/c even though it's open, it's like it's not open b/c it reduces and blocks out all the wind noise that you would normally hear if you opened your sunroof and didn't have the visor.

So again i'll let you all know tomorrow evening.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:31 AM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

And Post Pictures
Old 08-11-2005 | 11:23 PM
Instructor

Im glad my 05 TL didn't come with a sunroof deflector or I would have taken that thing off before driving off the dealer. Regardless of its purpose I think they look horrible on any car. But its all a matter of taste/individual preference which is why almost everything sells.
Old 08-11-2005 | 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

One thing to always take into consideration is that grit WILL get in between the visor and the roof which will eventually scatch the heck out of the paint. I used to have one on my 97 Camry. Wind will drive sand particles between the visor and the paint. The motion of the car will then move the visor just a minute amount. This translates to major scatches in the areas where the visor touches the car. That's why I would not consider one.

But yes, the visor will decrease noise and buffeting at highway speeds a good amount. However, the paint damage it caused was not worth it. Unless you are willing to take it off every week and clean underneath it, I would think hard about getting one. That's just my experience and opinion.

dsc888
Old 08-12-2005 | 10:23 AM
Racer

So i went and got it installed as i mentioned on yesterday. Sorry i wasn't able to comment on yesterday i had a lot going on. But anyway...

california_usa... i actually think it looks hot on the TL. And as i said before, it was part of the deal so it's not like i paid for it. Now if that was the case, then yes i prolly wouldn't have gotten it. But it was given to me as part of the deal. Also many of you prolly know that it's a lease anyway so i'm not gonna turn down anything that they'll throw in. My plans are hopefully to trade it in after 3 years and get the RL. So as far as the paint damage, i'll let them worry about that. Then again if it's never taken off then the paint won't create a problem i don't think.
Old 08-12-2005 | 10:36 AM
Ak Ting Up

Tried it and didn't like the looks

I had the sunroof deflector on my car for 3 months. Yes, its works well. I removed it because it kills the raking curve of the roof.
Old 08-12-2005 | 11:08 AM
PTN
Instructor

one thing to note about the deflectors is that they will add their own "noise" to the car due to the fact that you are adding an obstruction into the windstream traveling over the roofline.
Old 10-06-2005 | 06:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ac2001cls
So i went and got it installed as i mentioned on yesterday. Sorry i wasn't able to comment on yesterday i had a lot going on. But anyway...

california_usa... i actually think it looks hot on the TL. And as i said before, it was part of the deal so it's not like i paid for it. Now if that was the case, then yes i prolly wouldn't have gotten it. But it was given to me as part of the deal. Also many of you prolly know that it's a lease anyway so i'm not gonna turn down anything that they'll throw in. My plans are hopefully to trade it in after 3 years and get the RL. So as far as the paint damage, i'll let them worry about that. Then again if it's never taken off then the paint won't create a problem i don't think.
Think again, because it's a lease and if Acura removes the deflector and see paint damage, you will be paying for it. Same goes for the hood and bumper. Best to spend some $$ on a clear bra, cause they will nickel and dime you on all the nicks and dings they find when the lease is up.