Scratch Removal Help [Interior] w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004 | 08:03 PM
TL Techy

Scratch Removal Help [Interior] w/pics

Got the TL last week and i just noticed a first interior scratch on the left side near the drivers door. I know i could not have done it, every time i go into the car im always careful in what i do so if i did scrach it i would know it was me, but i dont think i saw it when i left the dealer as well. So im clueless.

The seatbelt could have not done it, theres no scraches at all where the buckle does into the lock. ::sigh:: Does anyone know how i can get this smoothed out or removed? If not..i can live with it, im not seeing it when im driving. But if it can be cared for, that would make my day

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2004 | 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Looks like a stray dirt mark... have you tried to wipe it with an all purpose cleaner spray? Turtle was makes an all purpose spray that works very well for me.
Old 06-20-2004 | 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Unless they changed it, the plastic interior parts are not dyed all the way through. They're coated. If you scrape the coating off, the color of the plastic shows through. The B pillar in Gen II's always used to get nicked by the seatbelt when it retracted. My MDX cargo area used to get all marked up in a way similar to the pics. The only option is replacement.
Old 06-20-2004 | 08:46 PM
TL Techy

I tried wiping it off with a clean cotton towel with water. Then i used those interior wipes you see at AutoZone..and it still there, those pics show after i tried the previous things i just said. Its still there. Im going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my trunk tray, if i ask, do they have anything there to remove those marks?

Thanks for your replys
Old 06-20-2004 | 09:35 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by DaT1PiNoYduDe
I tried wiping it off with a clean cotton towel with water. Then i used those interior wipes you see at AutoZone..and it still there, those pics show after i tried the previous things i just said. Its still there. Im going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my trunk tray, if i ask, do they have anything there to remove those marks?

Thanks for your replys

its the seatbelts.. if u notice were the buckle part hangs when not in use.... there should be lines or marks from left to right... its the belt.. the only thing i can think of from your pics.. is that you might of let go of seatbelt one time too soon. and when it retracted itself.. it hit hard.
Old 06-21-2004 | 02:28 AM
Club Abyss Member

I found some scratches/scuffs on both the driver and passenger sides soon after my car was delivered....personally i think they were a result of someone being careless when detailing/PDIing my TL......just check out any new TL in your dealer's showroom.....you will find many scratches from people getting in and out.......and yes there is no other option but to replace damaged panels.....no amount of cleaner/protectant will erase them....good luck !
Old 06-21-2004 | 07:11 AM
Team Anthracite Member

looks like the one scratch starts way back on the rubber - indicating door was open at time of scratch - you recently vaccum your car? - cause I know my shop vac attachments will make marks if you are not careful.
Old 06-21-2004 | 08:07 AM
VTEC HoooA

While it may not fix the scratches I would recommend that you try Vinylex on that area. Give it a few good coats and it will hide the scratches more than water and a rag will.
Old 06-21-2004 | 08:41 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
While it may not fix the scratches I would recommend that you try Vinylex on that area. Give it a few good coats and it will hide the scratches more than water and a rag will.
you are right - that stuff works great for scuffs on glove box door or the doors themselves.
Old 06-21-2004 | 11:48 AM
TL Techy

I have not vaccumed the car since i got it last week. ::sigh:: Im gonna have to pay to replace those panels if i want to huh? That Vinylex stuff i should give a try, where do they sell em? Any auto store like AutoZone or PepBoys?

Damn i love this forum, thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2004 | 11:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I have not vaccumed the car since i got it last week. ::sigh:: Im gonna have to pay to replace those panels if i want to huh? That Vinylex stuff i should give a try, where do they sell em? Any auto store like AutoZone or PepBoys?

Pep Boys has it. Blue bottle (spray). Might help to lessen it. If it is cut tho - like it is rough to the touch, may not help so much.
Old 06-21-2004 | 01:38 PM
100k miles club

congrats, what color did you get? anyways don't waste your money replacing it. and they are from the seat belt buckle. be more easy when you unbuckle your seat belt and don't just let it go it. i haven't tried Vinylex but i might give it a shot. i got those scratches too. in fact everyone probably has 'em