Sponsored by:

Ricer??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Who cares?

Sooner or later you gotta do what you want and not give a s**t what other people think. If you spend all you're time worrying about whether everyone likes what you like, you'll end up chasing your tail and being miserable.
That's the way to go.

Some people just like to listen to themselves talk. I had an incident where this guy driving a truck was hating on our A3s because he thought our cars were not "nice enough". Note he was driving a beat up pick-up truck. But I'll never see these people again, so it really doesn't matter what they say (as long as they don't damage your car - then I'd be pissed).
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Copperbottoms
I don't think that's quite broad enough - I think the definition should be

Rice; Ricey (noun, adj): 'visual or aural (i.e. fartcans) modifications which detract from the vehicle's overall presense, or in some way depart from the vehicle's intended niche (i.e race suspension on an econobox)'

If you have tasteful visual mods that make your car look fast even if it isn't, that's called 'poseur' or some variant thereof.
Well what about the staggered wheel on the fwd? What do you call that ricer or 'poseour' whatever you call it.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol prolly ricer I spose. They don't add any appreciable performance and they usually look nuthin but tacky IMO... Allthough I imagine staggered wheels on show cars etc. are justifiable to fill out widebody kits.

As for the 'poseur' bit - I'm just spelling poser funny.

Last edited by Copperbottoms; 07-07-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think that's quite broad enough - I think the definition should be

Rice; Ricey (noun, adj): 'visual or aural (i.e. fartcans) modifications which detract from the vehicle's overall presense, or in some way depart from the vehicle's intended niche (i.e race suspension on an econobox)'

If you have tasteful visual mods that make your car look fast even if it isn't, that's called 'poseur' or some variant thereof.
I'd say that's pretty close to how I'd describe it. I wouldn't go as far as calling others "posers" for installing body kits, modified headlights, etc. however. They do tend to make the car look much better than stock when done right.

But then again, I am more of a "all go, no show" kinda guy myself.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Racer

lol prolly ricer I spose. They don't add any appreciable performance and they usually look nuthin but tacky IMO... Allthough I imagine staggered wheels on show cars etc. are justifiable to fill out widebody kits.

As for the 'poseur' bit - I'm just spelling poser funny.
Then I guess I am ricer and almost everybody here a-zine are ricer as well since most people have stagger wheel . IMO staggered wheel looks hot on TL, so each his owns then...

Last edited by cokorote; 07-07-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
I bet the sunroof visor and that little sticker under the side marker threw those punks off on the ricer tangent. Besides that, nice ride!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Red face

Originally Posted by knavinusa
I'd say that's pretty close to how I'd describe it. I wouldn't go as far as calling others "posers" for installing body kits, modified headlights, etc. however. They do tend to make the car look much better than stock when done right.

But then again, I am more of a "all go, no show" kinda guy myself.
I was thinking more along the lines of race stripes or performance badges (think 'M' badges on a 325i) - visual additions that might draw unwarranted attention to the car. Guess I didn't quite say what I meant

originally posted by cokorote:
Then I guess I am ricer and almost everybody here a-zine are ricer as well since most people have stagger wheel . IMO staggered wheel looks hot on TL, so each his owns then...
ic.. then it looks hot enough that I've never noticed honestly I wouldn't know, I'm too much of a n00b. I thought you meant ridiculous staggered wheels like you see on bad civics or golfs.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I was thinking more along the lines of race stripes or performance badges (think 'M' badges on a 325i) - visual additions that might draw unwarranted attention to the car. Guess I didn't quite say what I meant
That reminds me of a time when I saw an E30 325i with an M badge. The guy didn't even bother to take off the 325i, so it just said /M 325i. I wonder what he was thinking?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Racer

ic.. then it looks hot enough that I've never noticed honestly I wouldn't know, I'm too much of a n00b. I thought you meant ridiculous staggered wheels like you see on bad civics or golfs.
have you seen this one?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/ib18c1-jjashaa-scotterson-%3D-pictures-734290/

and that scotterson's stagger TL is freaking hot
Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor

^ hmm.. idk how I feel about that. Never been a big fan of huge rubbin' drops. They do look pretty sick from most angles though

originally posted by: knavinusa:
That reminds me of a time when I saw an E30 325i with an M badge. The guy didn't even bother to take off the 325i, so it just said /M 325i. I wonder what he was thinking?
Maybe he didn't have time to get the 325 bit off.. pfff lol that'd be worth a cell picture
Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 AM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nah your car ain't ricer... they just hating thats all. btw, how did you mount the front license plate?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Silent_TL
So yeah, my car got called a ricer this weekend. I was at VA beach, across the street from Hall Acura. I was leaving the parking lot and this old green Lexus was coming in. Two teenage kids were in the car and the passenger made the comment as soon as the 2 cars were side (his) by side(mine). I just ignored it, they were just haters.

My "cosmetic" mods visible:
Aspec front and back spoiler
Aspec Gunmetal rims
rear lip spoiler
color-matched cleared headlights w/ halos
painted silver Acura Letters in front
relocated front plate to teh OEM tow hook.
How can it be a ricer? Bunch of haters!!!
That is about the only thing I would attribute to the comment
Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^no way...the relocated front plate really makes the TL look better...the OEM plate is absolutely horrible...totally blows the visual impact of the front bumper IMO

if anything it could have been those graphics under the sidemarker and the halos that might have prompted the ricer comment.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the best answer for this

who gives a shit?

not meant in a negative way..but why should you care what some punks think about your classy, subtly modded TL?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nokiaboy808
nah your car ain't ricer... they just hating thats all. btw, how did you mount the front license plate?
I got a long enough screw with the same size as the tow screw in the trunk from Autozone. Just bring the one located on the spare tire so you can match the size. Using the OEM plastic mount, I made the square hole bigger to fit the screw just enough that it is still tight.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced

graphics under the sidemarker...magnet = "Terps" = University of Maryland grad just FYI. lol
Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by pwr2panda
^no way...the relocated front plate really makes the TL look better...the OEM plate is absolutely horrible...totally blows the visual impact of the front bumper IMO
Yeah no. It doesn't look good at all.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
why are you sweating some dumb punk ass teenagers.. your ride is clean.. are you asian? lol.. Don't be concerned with what other people think.. you obviously have good taste. Driving a green lexus on the other hand..

I like the plate relocation.. I may have pushed it out a little more but it looks good to me.. to each their own.. but definitely not rice.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 PM
My Other Ride is a Huey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like your car, don't sweat it.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Your car looks almost like mine. Can't get much more tasteful than AM A-Spec'd out on Gunmetals. Don't be sensitive to people's hot air. I deal with haters all day. (NY is the center of the WORLD of haters, lol).

You should have said "Green Lexus?? You gotta be kidding, this ain't 1995 bitch!" and give him a swift kick to the nuts......HAHAHA, jus kiddin, I'm non-violent!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Originally Posted by Silent_TL
I don't have a nice camera and this would do.

Hope this works, first time posting pics!
very nice car but that plate isnt something ill do.. but if u like it thats what counts.. also that plate isnt suppose to be on that side its suppose to be on the drivers side... the reason when you see it on that side in japan is cause the drive on the right side
Old 07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Your mods are done tastefully.I'm even surprised a none acura owner could even pick them out.About the only thing that does look out of place is what ever sticker that is on the fender.Other than that you were right from the start "Haters".