Removing rear deck cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003 | 10:05 AM
Racer

Removing rear deck cover?

I have a very, very annoying rattle coming from the rear deck somewhere on the passenger's side (it's not the actual rear shelf, but something underneath it). It rattles constantly while the car is moving, when the car is stationary and there is bass, and if I in any way move the rear passenger's side seat belt. As my dealer cannot look at the car for another 2 weeks, I wanted to see if anyone knew how to remove the rear shelf or the rear deck cover in the trunk. I can hear exactly where the rattle is coming from by lightly punching the rear seat. If I can get the cover off, I think I can isolate the rattle and hopefully fix it. There appear to be some plastic pins in the trunk that hold the cover on, but I can't get them off with any amount of reasonable force.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-29-2003 | 12:40 PM
Grandpa

Try going in through the trunk. There might be access from underneath.
Old 12-29-2003 | 05:52 PM
Racer

This is just something that may be causing the problem..

In the passenger backdoor there is a piece of plastic that is inside the doorhandle ..mine fell off on its own and now I have it just sitting there and it does rattle ..... I sm thinking of supergluing it .. anyway yours could have falen off too and be causing a rattle in that vicinity ..can't hurt to check ..

I also have a problem with noise when rolling up the driver side window ..only when going up ,not down have no clue what that is ~ anyone else have noise like that ?
Old 12-29-2003 | 07:41 PM
Racer

I think you have to get to it from the rear passenger area. That's what they did when they replaced my warped rear deck.
Old 12-29-2003 | 08:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Removing rear deck cover?

Originally posted by princed
Anyone have any ideas?
I'm not sure if this thread could provide you any hint to temporarily stop that rattling.

Rear deck vibrates with sub-woofers by need4spd

Old 12-30-2003 | 04:23 AM
3rd Gear

To remove the rear shelf. You will need to remove these items. 1) Rear seat cushion. 2) rear seat-back. 3) C-pillar trim, both sides. To remove the seat cushion, you will need to remove one 10mm bolt on the passenger side (look between the seat back and cushion), then pull the seat hook knobs on both sides. To remove the rear seat-back, you must first remove the 3 lower bolts, then loosen the 2 upper bolts (to reach the upper bolts, just slide the 10mm sock into the slits just below the headrest) Then slide up the whole seat back. To remove the C-pillar trim, pull the c-pillar cap up until it stops. (the cap has the words air bag on it) After the cap is off, just pull the rest of the trim off. Now the just lift the rear shelf up to release the clips, then pull the rear shelf towards the front of the vehicle.
Old 12-30-2003 | 10:39 AM
an Acura has-been

The service manual also cautions that the SRS inflators are in this area (for the curtian air bags) so you may want to wait it out for the dealer to do it.

With all that work(rear seats, C pillars, then deck) , 2 weeks is not that far away!
Old 12-30-2003 | 10:54 AM
Racer

That Girl and rets -- thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the sound is coming from somewhere underneath the rear shelf, and I think it'll need to come off in order to isolate the source.

h99a -- I never would have thought removing the shelf would be so detailed. Thanks a million for the instructions -- now that I've seen them, I think I'll take need4spd's advice and wait for the dealer. The last thing I want is to damage something expensive to replace...

Oh, and I did try prying a couple of those black plastic pins/clips off from inside the trunk -- is it possible I damaged them? Should I ask the dealer to replace them (I don't want another rattle to develop later)?