Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflections on a Week old TL..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Reflections on a Week old TL..

My TL is one week old today.. Saturday. One old and a little over 400 miles. But those 400 miles had to come in pieces and parts because in my neck of the woods here in Virginia, we have been getting our share of rain and thunderstorms this season. So when such a threat is in the air for the day, the TL stays in the garage and I drive my Ranger pickup to work. Which means the TL only got to work ond day this week.

It's not so much the rain (though I hate to put her through the first rain), it's the T-storms that bother me because of the chance of heavy winds (blowing debris and tree limbs) and hail. We don't want hail damage, for sure. So she sits in the garage, enticing me, daring me to take her out for a ride.

Driving this car is more than just driving a car. I would like to hear a constant exhaust note since it is a big aid in one's shift timing, but I'll just have to get used to it as it is. But driving the TL, and mine's a 6MT, is really a pleasure of so many facets. The look of the car. How often do you own a car that you just keep looking back at it after you've parked it and headed towards a store? The thing is just drop dead gorgeous.. no question.. and gorgeous from every angle at that! The feel of the car. Mine is rock solid which was the very first impression I had on my test drive and I drove two of them. Solid and firm. The way the car moves. It's pointability and tracking is excellent. I would like shorter steering.. perhaps between 2.7 and 3 turns from lock to lock, but this is certainly livable. The throttle response. The second impression I had on my test drive. For such a small engine (196 cubes) the engineers have done a superb job of tuning this engine and ECU to deliver outstanding throttle response where most engines live most of the time.. the lower to mid-range RPMs. The comfort of the car. I don't like soft riding cars and this one is a perfect blend of ride in my book. One gets the impression that the sport side of the car was not seriously compromised for sheer comfort. Perfect. The sheer joy of the shfter and transmission. What can I say.. it reminds me in many ways of my '88 Mustang LX 302 CID (5.0 for those of you who like "liters"). And finally, the image factor. I am not the kind of person who really gives a damn what others think about me or about what I drive. But I must admit that I like the approving looks the car gets from people.

Yep, one week. Hopefully, there will be many more.. just without the rain, please.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mirror my impression of the car also...and I still haven't driven my car in the rain yet...I purchased it in March..and have 2500 miles...and the only water the car has seen is the wash bucket!! I love this car!!
I'm glad you got a good one too...so did I..it's still tight and rattle free..absolutely no problems so far.
Good Luck with your car.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Thanks JetJock. Glad you're pleased as well.

It's funny. The one word I find myself repeating the most while driving my TL is "Wow". So this is a "Wow" car to me. By no means the quickest I've owned. That claim goes to my 1966 SS 396/360 HP Chevelle followed by my 1988 Mustang LX 302CID.. 12 and 13 second machines respectively.

But I have a strong suspicion it may just turn out to be the best of the lot. One other thing I find. This is a car you will never have to make any excuses for. It'll easily hold it's own among other cars in the same class, plus it crosses automotive borders quite nicely. You will never say to a passenger, "I know, the interior is a little cheap but it will run" or "yeah I know.. the rear end is a little quirky but most of the rest of the car is Ok". This just ain't gonna happen.

And finally, I find nice little surprises under the throttle.. because I have yet to release the engine at WOT. So this is indeed a "Wow" car to me and I imagine to just about everyone else on this site.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Peach Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darn i thought you went crazy with zaino or somethin when u said "reflections on a week old TL"
Old 07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

To badazzTL;

Hah, hah... very good. Think I should have used a different opening??
Old 07-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Team Anthracite

Rain is a fact of life here in Seattle; thankfully hail is not! I've driven in the rain once, but I got my car mid-june and only seen one rain. Thats pretty amazing; thanks for taking our weather!

I have to agree with the exhaust sound as a shift queue; I often find myself looking down, "Whoa! 4k rpm cruising, i should shift!"
Old 07-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glad you decided to join the club. The TL is definitely a "wow" car and it does everything well. 2 1/2 months/2,000 miles and absolutely no regrets. Congrats!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Peach Tea

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To badazzTL;

Hah, hah... very good. Think I should have used a different opening??
lol no i guess i just took it differently.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Naw, a little tongue-in-cheek humor is good. One of the things people hear me say alot is, "if you can't laugh, what good are you anyway".

I went to a graduation party last night of a family member's son (from high school and a send of to college). These people have a large home in Fairfax Station on about 6 acres. The affair was catered and I decided not to take my car because of the parking (didn't want to risk door dings) and because there were a bunch of teenages (but I should have know better since this boy is a real sharp kid and so would be his friends).

But I imbibed a bit too much of the golden nectar (Scotch) and my wife had to drive home. Being as I have not yet taken her out to let her drive my TL, she was pleased about this. So my TL sat in the garage last night, safely away from my persuits of liquid pleasure and mistake.

I'll take her out to day to make up from my misgivings.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Disproportionate Member

Welcome Pvick! Glad to see you take the plunge! I agree with almost everything you said. What color did you get?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Hey there, Aquineas!

Yeah, I plunged last Saturday. It's Anthracite/Ebony/6mt/Nav. Beautiful. This is one heck of a machine. I just passed 500 miles on it this morning!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Hey there, Aquineas!

Yeah, I plunged last Saturday. It's Anthracite/Ebony/6mt/Nav. Beautiful. This is one heck of a machine. I just passed 500 miles on it this morning!
Exact combination I purchased with the exception of high performance tires that I decided to get because of all the negative comments about the standard all season tires. I LOVE THIS CAR!! It just keeps getting better each day.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

To JetJock;

Amen. You think it just keeps getting better each day or is it that we just like it more each day??

Either way, it's one heck of a car. I look for reasons/excuses to drive it.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:23 PM