Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raced with G35

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That vid is irrelevant to the topic.

This is a discussion between 2004 TL and G35.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:15 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by R1cky
Heres a video clip of G35 coupe vs. CL-S... For anyone who havent seen it yet...

(right click and Save As...)

Click here
I'm actually quite impressed that a 2001 CL-S (auto tranny) would keep up like that with a G35 coupe (unknown tranny). After all, the CL weighs as much as a TL.

A more relevant video would be an '04 TL (or TL-S) vs. a G35 sedan. We all know the G35 coupe is a completely different animal than the sedan.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fla-tls
I'm actually quite impressed that a 2001 CL-S (auto tranny) would keep up like that with a G35 coupe (unknown tranny). After all, the CL weighs as much as a TL.

A more relevant video would be an '04 TL (or TL-S) vs. a G35 sedan. We all know the G35 coupe is a completely different animal than the sedan.
C&D got the same quarter mile times from the G35 sedan and the coupe, 14.2, 2 months ago. They question the HP difference. Driving both in a straight line, I question the HP difference. They both leap like the devil in the midrange.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:23 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by partagas
C&D got the same quarter mile times from the G35 sedan and the coupe, 14.2, 2 months ago. They question the HP difference. Driving both in a straight line, I question the HP difference. They both leap like the devil in the midrange.
Interesting, I had assumed that the coupe would weight less than the sedan. After visiting their site I can say that I was wrong. The sedan actually weighs less than the coupe (within 100 lbs or so).

Perhaps that explains a little of the discrepancy. In any event, they're both great cars.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Racer

Interesting, I had assumed that the coupe would weight less than the sedan. After visiting their site I can say that I was wrong. The sedan actually weighs less than the coupe (within 100 lbs or so).

Perhaps that explains a little of the discrepancy. In any event, they're both great cars.
I don't care for anything about them. I am 6ft, 190 and they hust both my legs. they press oucomfortably on my right shoulder. They put a passenger 3 inches closer to me. You can't control the tail. FWD or not, I would rather drive the TL through the fast sweepers below Yosemite than the G35. The G35 trips its VSA early or the rear end slips out, dangerously, not like the fun drifts of a 330i, Whereas, the TL just plowa merrily along with very high limits. Tinally, the G35s are just plain noisyand hard riding, whereas the TL is smooth and quiet. Admittedly, I speak from an enthusiasts viewpoint. I keep a 330i for real romping.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:10 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

The coupe is a little heavier because of the increased wheelbase relative to the sedan. This difference in wheelbase and different suspension tuning makes the coupe handle differently (and better) than the sedan. The coupe has actually outhandled the Z in some of the tests (because of the better tires).
Old 01-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Racer

EZZ, I didn't get to drive the coupe nearly as much as the sedan, but I did notice that the rear end seemed to stay in place much better and didn't trip the VSA. It was still cramped, noisy and rough but its handling was a lot better. I drive a buddy's (who drinks to much) sedan often but I only got a test drive in the coupe, ran into the hills, about 30mi.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by R1cky
Heres a video clip of G35 coupe vs. CL-S... For anyone who havent seen it yet...

(right click and Save As...)

Click here
Wow, 6spd G35 vs Auto CL-S and the CL-S didn't loose by much.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Honestly speaking, that video reminds me of how I beat the G35 sedan that time with my '04 TL.

Except I pulled on the G35 even faster than the G35 pulling on the CL-S.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:08 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

EZZ, I didn't get to drive the coupe nearly as much as the sedan, but I did notice that the rear end seemed to stay in place much better and didn't trip the VSA. It was still cramped, noisy and rough but its handling was a lot better. I drive a buddy's (who drinks to much) sedan often but I only got a test drive in the coupe, ran into the hills, about 30mi.
Partagas, you already have your fun little sports sedan (330). I think the TL will suit your needs perfectly. I see that you are from central cali so I'm assumming you don't really care about the RWD/FWD argument so you can probably use the 330 year round. For me, I can easily tell the difference between a RWD and a FWD car (having driven a Supra and a Maxima and a Civic for many years). The Supra is easy to drift into a corner and push out using your throttle. I want that in a car again. However, the TL is a wonderful alternative to a true sports sedan. If I could afford it, I would consider a 330 but since I am eligible for VPP pricing on a coupe, I'm leaning toward that alternative (2% under invoice).
Old 01-14-2004, 10:41 AM
9th Gear

Originally posted by TL_6SPD
A TL 6SPD just ran at the track and did 14.2 at 98 mph. Stock. Possible a 13 sec car with a better 60 ft. 2.13. I would have to say that they are about the same.

The TL dynos more hp in 6spd than the G35 it seems per that graph.
lol, i highly doubt any tl can run low 14s stock. most of these guys that test drive the cars are expert drivers. they push it time and time again to get the best numbers that they can.how can a car with less hp and weigh the same get better times?even the s2k weights much lighter and has a little less hp barely runs 14.0s.I've even seen s2ks frun high 14s b4 because driving it at the track aint easy.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by g35thanh
lol, i highly doubt any tl can run low 14s stock. most of these guys that test drive the cars are expert drivers. they push it time and time again to get the best numbers that they can.how can a car with less hp and weigh the same get better times?even the s2k weights much lighter and has a little less hp barely runs 14.0s.I've even seen s2ks frun high 14s b4 because driving it at the track aint easy.
Tons of magazines and articles have said 04TL 6MT with 14.xx@96-98, 0-60@6.3-6.7. Whoever drove those records, it doesn't matter. That's just the character of 04TL 6MT.

Based on your theory, G35 should have better numbers if driving well by right guys. Will you be the rigth guy driving those number? The regular guys like us may never have those 14.xx numbers whatever G35 or 04TL we drive.

I saw that video, too. Very impressive. We really don't need to emphasize this individual result too much. Someday you may see your G35 website having a movie chip featuring how TL beats G35 like this. Besides the arguement, what can you do to that video?

In the past two weeks, if I see G35 next to me in the stop/traffic light, both of driviers on each car seem to intend racing right away. Perhaps, I read too much stuff out of this thread, have too much confidence about racing, have known my families would take care of themselves, and have money/attorney to pay my tickets, I always win. I strongly believe those losing drivers are unexperienced racers, and I don't need to emphasize this, either. I do have lots of respects to G35. Both of cars are good and trying to move up to next level in order to compete with other high-end vehicles. Beating another vehicle in the same level doesn't mean you're better than others.

Maybe I will lose to another G35 driver tomorrow. Who knows? It means nothing. Who cares?

If 15 yrs younger and still live in LA, I'll spend all my time to debate with you.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:29 PM
R&D of Team Anthracite

well those numbers for the g35 that are 14.0 -14.2 are driven by expert drivers too.(LOL) they push it time and time again to get the best numbers that they can....so i too doubt the g35 can run 14.0-14.2 stock....so its basically a driver's race..in that case since ur in tx, u wanna come down to htown and run this " i doubt any tl can run low 14s stock" TL and any stock cars in my crew?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Racer

I don't care for anything about them. I am 6ft, 190 and they hust both my legs. they press oucomfortably on my right shoulder. They put a passenger 3 inches closer to me. You can't control the tail. FWD or not, I would rather drive the TL through the fast sweepers below Yosemite than the G35. The G35 trips its VSA early or the rear end slips out, dangerously, not like the fun drifts of a 330i, Whereas, the TL just plowa merrily along with very high limits. Tinally, the G35s are just plain noisyand hard riding, whereas the TL is smooth and quiet. Admittedly, I speak from an enthusiasts viewpoint. I keep a 330i for real romping.
I've driven my cuzins 330i and it handles very identically to my g and the engine is just as loud. And i have yet to experience 'rear end slip outs' from fast cornering. The g's ride is very stable. I thought there would be a significant difference in handling in the 330i but there is none
Old 01-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

GENTLEMEN,

in regards to the VIDEO with the G35.

1) The G35 is AUTOMATIC COUPLE 280 HP/270 LB-T, which weighs as musch as the CL automatic.

2)This is a 2002 CL (revised version) with NO foglamps, and new clear lens markers on the rear lights, and revised wheels and revised headlamps. I repeat this is not a 2001. If they roll from 1st gear, like the video says, then its a 6sp CL.

As you all know, 2002 is the year that the 6sp was introduced, and from listening the engine this is 6sp tranny. You can hear the shifts.

I have a 2001 CL and a g35 sedan. therefore I have plenty of experience racing against my car. Trust me, after 3rd in my CL-S, might as well shut down cuz it won't be able to keep up.

Sorry guys, but the video was auto G35 coupe against a 6sp CL-S, based on the model year of the CL-s and rolling start from 1st gear.

Having said that, WHO CARES!!!

i love the 04 TL interior.......I wish my G35 had such interior and innovative technology. But it does not and it won't. I wish my CL-S was RWD and more torque, but it doesn't and it won't.

just enjoy your cars and take care of them.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 PM
G35 Freak

Wow, I guess I am considered an 'expert' driver according to the statements above. Just so you know, my time in my sig isn't anything crazy or abnormal. There are auto SEDANS pulling 14.2's and a few other manual coupes getting times like mine. I have seen two timeslips of a stock coupe with Drag Radials get 13.7 and 13.8.

BTW, I am by no means an 'expert' driver. I have had some experience at the dragstrip, but not as much as the magazine guys do.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned

Sorry but that is no 6SPD CL-S. Dream on. I just watch the video 5 times in a row. The G35 definitely is a auto though, but the CL-S is as well. You can tell by the nose of the CL, it doesn't dive like it would on a standard car.

Originally posted by j-maverick
GENTLEMEN,

1) The G35 is AUTOMATIC COUPLE 280 HP/270 LB-T, which weighs as musch as the CL automatic.

2)This is a 2002 CL (revised version) with NO foglamps, and new clear lens markers on the rear lights, and revised wheels and revised headlamps. I repeat this is not a 2001. If they roll from 1st gear, like the video says, then its a 6sp CL.

As you all know, 2002 is the year that the 6sp was introduced, and from listening the engine this is 6sp tranny. You can hear the shifts.

I have a 2001 CL and a g35 sedan. therefore I have plenty of experience racing against my car. Trust me, after 3rd in my CL-S, might as well shut down cuz it won't be able to keep up.

Sorry guys, but the video was auto G35 coupe against a 6sp CL-S, based on the model year of the CL-s and rolling start from 1st gear.

i love the 04 TL interior.......I wish my G35 had such interior and innovative technology. But it does not and it won't. I wish my CL-S was RWD and more torque, but it doesn't and it won't.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:44 PM
9th Gear

Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
well those numbers for the g35 that are 14.0 -14.2 are driven by expert drivers too.(LOL) they push it time and time again to get the best numbers that they can....so i too doubt the g35 can run 14.0-14.2 stock....so its basically a driver's race..in that case since ur in tx, u wanna come down to htown and run this " i doubt any tl can run low 14s stock" TL and any stock cars in my crew?
actually go on g35driver.com and there are plenty that have hit low 14s. even in the auto.i would believe the 04 tls giving the g35 some comp, but i really dont think the other tls are that quick.i would say the older model tls are in the altimas class. 14.5s-14.7s
Old 01-15-2004, 01:31 AM
9th Gear

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...ge%5fid=191225

pretty good times for the 6spd 04 tl.best time was a 14.2.most 14.4s - 14.5s though.what do u think the autos would run being fwd?like i said 14.5.s-14.7s
Old 01-15-2004, 01:36 AM
Advanced

Coupe for Coupe -

I'll take any of you on with my acura coupe... it's 6 speed & RWD.

just trying to make a point for how useless this thread is...

TL 6SP Navi - White
NSX-T - Black
Old 01-15-2004, 04:08 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Just to look at another angle on these cars and its only my opinion, but i feel that TL will be better aftermarket car, for bolt-ons anyway. When you look at the original redesign of acura j32, made 300+ hp we also see proof of this in a-spec concept. The production engine is the same just restricted slightly on the intake and much more on the exhaust, with 3 cats. Yes what i am saying is that with only intake and exhaust the TL will make 300 - 310hp. Didnt go into production this way because 300+ hp on fwd family sedan is just not appropriate. So far we have seen injen cold air intake to put down 11 whp when compared to g35 engine only 5-7 with its injen intake. When you compare drivetrain losses its 14% acura to g35's (depending on models) 20% to 30%. Although both cars are restricted heavily on exhaust, the TL with its ULEVII is more so. And yes TL has poor tires, with HPT upgrade TL is more or less as fast as g35 sedan and coupe.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually go on g35driver.com and there are plenty that have hit low 14s. even in the auto.i would believe the 04 tls giving the g35 some comp, but i really dont think the other tls are that quick.i would say the older model tls are in the altimas class. 14.5s-14.7s
Hey atleast the Altima's interior looks better than a G35's. Man I was disappointed in the G's interior.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
Also consider that people have had more time to mess around in the G35 and get a feel for the car. Remember when no magazine could get the 2002 Maxima to go 1/4 in less than 15 seconds? Well they improved that number in 2003 even though the car was basically unchanged. Give the TL time and I say it can do 13s.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Dr. TLS

GENTLEMEN,

In a CLS, you can hold 1st gear by gate shifting, which many people do. So your point does not stand. Just pointing this out.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Dr. TLS

Hey, can one of you G35 guys post the link of a 2003 G35 auto sedan and a 2002 TLS running at the track on the same day? The TLS is mine and the black G35 is my friend's. We were both stock then and I ran 14.71@96.3 MPH and he ran a 14.9@94.9 MPH. He never sent me the video but he did send me a link to one of the Infiniti forums, which I lost. Any of you guys have it saved or know what I'm talking about?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by LVSBB6
.... even a nice intake setup combined with an exhaust, which gives about 10 wheel hp, should do the job. There are many other options too, ie: cams, header, pulleys..etc, which ever mods that gives you roughly 10whp can make that happen.
you forgot the really big horsepower mods. chopped springs, picnic-bench wing, altezza style lights, yellow racing stripes and decals, 5-inch exhaust tip, etc...
Old 01-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by vandy786
Also consider that people have had more time to mess around in the G35 and get a feel for the car. Remember when no magazine could get the 2002 Maxima to go 1/4 in less than 15 seconds? Well they improved that number in 2003 even though the car was basically unchanged. Give the TL time and I say it can do 13s.
unchanged except for the extra 30 hp and 6-speed manual :think:
Old 01-15-2004, 10:47 AM
G35 Freak

Hey, can one of you G35 guys post the link of a 2003 G35 auto sedan and a 2002 TLS running at the track on the same day? The TLS is mine and the black G35 is my friend's. We were both stock then and I ran 14.71@96.3 MPH and he ran a 14.9@94.9 MPH. He never sent me the video but he did send me a link to one of the Infiniti forums, which I lost. Any of you guys have it saved or know what I'm talking about?
Those seem like very low trap speeds for a G35 auto. Did he forget to turn off the VDC??
Old 01-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
Those seem like very low trap speeds for a G35 auto. Did he forget to turn off the VDC??
no, he forgot to wake up from his nap in time.... :p
Old 01-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by spdntckt
Coupe for Coupe -

I'll take any of you on with my acura coupe... it's 6 speed & RWD.
Ah yes, another person making light of owning the two most powerful Hondas ever produced. I have often drawn parallels to that myself, although I have to 'suffer' with the 270 hp, 5 speed version for my coupe.

I was, however, able to resist the temptation to put my coupe into the fray, even though it is more than a match for every stock G35 on the planet.

Why? Because I don't really care.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

In regards to the gate shifting comment.

I'm not sure if have a different version of an Acura Cl-S but mine will the tranny will NOT hold 1st.......it would automatically change to 2nd. Nobody that I know has the ability to Hold 1st as long as we would like...the system does automatically for you. After 2nd, its all driver input.

However, there is time when you play around with the gas pedal and try to trick the system. But it does not work most of the time.

if you have a different mod to hold 1st down all the way to redline...please let me know

joe
Old 01-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Advanced

I'm not sure if have a different version of an Acura Cl-S but mine will the tranny will NOT hold 1st.......it would automatically change to 2nd. Nobody that I know has the ability to Hold 1st as long as we would like...the system does automatically for you. After 2nd, its all driver input.

However, there is time when you play around with the gas pedal and try to trick the system. But it does not work most of the time.

if you have a different mod to hold 1st down all the way to redline...please let me know

joe
You have to time it right. I've tried it on my older cars.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Banned

joe
My CL-S manually put it down to 1st, ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM, closest to the cup holder until the dash lights up as 1. SS will not work for this. It will hold 1st.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Instructor

The G35 vs CL-S video posted on thread page 12? maybe 13? was probably the most immature piece of crap I've ever seen. And it's pretty weak that a G35 coupe with equal weight, +20hp, +40tq took that long to pull away from a CL-S

I'm surprised people old enough to make the money to afford nice cars are still chatting with each other on the internet in ways that would make my 17 year old brother frown.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by Tecworld
I'm surprised people old enough to make the money to afford nice cars are still chatting with each other on the internet in ways that would make my 17 year old brother frown.

What's wrong with this? I wouldn't agree this by two ways.

First, in this forum, ppl from 16-61 buy 04TL. Younger guys can race with whoever they want. 30' do go dragstrip. 40' enjoy music with fancy ride. If you like streetracing at 50', no one can say NO to you. Vice versa, 17 yr old guy can drive this nice car between home and schools only. Should I say what's wrong with him? Ppl do whatever they want in this free country.

Second, tons of ppl are racing their 40k BMW on streets. Why can't ppl use 04TL to chase to each other?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by memyslefandi
unchanged except for the extra 30 hp and 6-speed manual :think:

Wrong. Click here :think: All 255 horses and a 6-speed, in 2002.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
He thought so too. But that was his BEST run of the day. We both pulled 15s a few times and had full tank of gas. We had stuff in the trunk and didn't take out spare. We also didn't brake torque (atleast I didn't) and we didnt mess with tire pressure.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by memyslefandi
no, he forgot to wake up from his nap in time.... :p
Like I said, we both compared our best and worst times. Of course he tried to say that I had an unfair advantage because I was running Mobil 1 synthetic. But he was quite awake and alert at the time of the runs. Also, there's almost nothing to driving an automatic. Very hard to screw up over and over again.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

People should not be surprised by slow times at the drag strip.

It is not easy to run a quarter mile at the car's potential. If you haven't been to the drag strip, don't assume you can do it.

I am not a drag strip professional by any means. In my one and only drag strip experience, after 9 runs I saw my time drop .5 seconds and my 60' went from a 2.3 to a 2.015, which is spot on for that particular car. (Not my TL).
Old 01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Wrong. Click here :think: All 255 horses and a 6-speed, in 2002.
well i know it happened one of those two years. and when it did i remember seeing the maxima getting 0-60 in like 5.9 and quarter in the 14's. it didnt take them a year to get those numbers. that was my point.

Quick Reply: Raced with G35